Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I didn't get this far to get this far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thanks all

LT pace getting downgraded to hmp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Still too much in my opinion. 38 minutes straight of even HMP is a beast of a session. Agree with skyblue on CV aswell . I have done lots of CV work over the years and it's always broken up with one split rarely going beyond 5minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

So this weeks running was a write off - the weather , work , shopping catch ups etc.

Monday - leg work out .

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - HIIT class and strengthening class ( online)

Thursday: 5 Mile easy - sliding to get out of my park and then I went slogging up and down the main road freezing my butt off ( even though I had 26 layers on )

Friday : upper body work out

Saturday: rest

Sunday : 5k race

The race was almost cancelled . After a great thaw it went ahead much to my disappointment . I could hear my nemesis howling outside with his buddy the bloody rain and so I didn’t want to get out of bed . I hate the wind. I know everyone does but look it tortures us asthmatics more and sends my heartrate high very early . In my imagination it was bright but cold day - happy runners in Santa hats and weird socks rocking to Xmas songs as we warmed up . Lots of Xmas cheer . Then I gave myself a good talking to and accepted it as an endurance challenge . Sigh

I am very pampered and I hate being cold . The enemy was biting and tried to suck the life out of the Xmas buzz . It would have succeeded only the warm up was done on the track soundtracked by very loud Xmas songs and a dj who kept banging on about smiling 🙂. I thought my shoes were weird as the track felt off - apparently everyone’s shoes were weird . Anyway I digress .my only tactic was to not get carried away for the first km as was apprehensive of the wind which would be head on for most of this .

It turns out the first km was very congested and there was no opportunity to get carried away. Also the hemming in was protection from the beast .

First Km 4:54 . Not bad time to speed up whilst enemy on my back . Second km was a slight decline and I really should have been going faster here ( retrospectively could have made up the 8 secs for a pb ) . I had spotted someone ahead who I knew was slightly faster than me and I assumed I was moving faster ( goddamn) I was pushing and sniffing at this stage but still felt strong . (4:45)

On third km you reach the turn around point half way through so you have faster runners run past you on their way home which distracts me admittedly as I’m dead nosey especially on hometown runs . Also I knew the wind was about to hit my face the minute I turned that corner so I was a bit nervous . I just followed the girl In front tried not to think about it . When the wind hit at least it was on a slight decline so not that bad . 3k clicked at 4:45

After this the course goes up ( slightly ) and the wind kept with the brutalisation . I wasn’t in my happy place but I do like running in places I know well as there are no surprises and it’s oddly comforting . 4th km clocked 4:39 which I thought was a bit mad ! As it was into the wind and like up a hill . Anyways I was driving that girl mental sniffing and sniffing and breathing croakily down her neck. When we turned to go back to the stadium I was struggling with the breathing and had a stitch so assumed I was slowing quite considerably. My upper body was on fire - working those lats Friday may not have been the best idea ever . I could barely move my arms .

The final 500 m is in the track - you run past the finish line and do a lap . In that very open you have guessed it windy goddamn track . So I hobbled ( or so I thought ) on to it and tried to end my pain . The girl I had been chasing was slowing so I caught up with her and we ran over the finish line together . Last km was 4:40. I could have sworn I was running 6:00 min km.

23:51 - an almost pb - short 8 secs . Not bad for someone only back at it a month or so . Good way to end the year . Could I have found those secs - maybe . Was the wind a hindrance . Definitely. Did the shoes help ( never 🤣). I also bet my running buddy by 40 secs so best day out ever ( she always beats me as claims as more grit - I’m not petty I swear)

Edit: I did thank the girl after for pacing me - she said I helped her get faster as she was trying to get away from me . Thinking about it I must have had more in tank because I wasn’t doing my signature grunting 😱.

Congrats R. That was a good read. I think 5k races take practice and that’s a very good start after being out of the habit for a while.

• Advertisement

Your spot on K. I have only ever “ raced” five 5ks. One in 2009, one in 2016, 2 in 2018 and one this weekend . Any other 5k I have done was a fun run or with my kid etc . I think 5k is a good race for me - not that I’m fast over short distances but that it’s a short race and I don’t have time to self sabotage.

Have decided though on my first annual goal for 2023! Sub 23 for 23!! I’m a long way off but i think it’s achievable !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on your 5k! Sub 23 is very doable for you. Maybe a goal race about 8 weeks after your Half? You will have a good base from the half, a bit of recovery, a few weeks more specific 5k training and you'll be flying. If you could do a park run 2-3 weeks before your goal it would set you up nicely, 5ks definitely take a bit of practice.

Thanks . I’ll have to check the local race calendar - there are great 10ks around that time lol and I’m also (if I get organised ) planning a nice big holiday stateside for Easter .

I have already fallen off the running wagon onto the overeating - wine swilling general layabout wagon place !

Next week is going to be tough !

I had great intentions coming into Xmas week. Long runs and all sorts planned .

On the Tuesday after the 5k I had planned a gentle training session with my half marathon training pal . Location of run unusual due to Xmas messing - anyways it wasn’t the session we were after .

We had just started the warm up and were discussing outfits for the up and coming festivities . Deep in chatter we turned a dark corner ( in a place I’m very familiar with but not my friend) . She went down like a fish - I’m still not sure what happened but I think she wasn’t aware of the curb and caught her foot . Suddenly she was just lying face down on the ground screaming/crying . I didn’t know what part of her was damaged. Neither of us were carrying a phone but luckily my parents lived 2 mins away . On a quick examination it appeared like her two front teeth were mostly knocked out and her face was in a bad way -“ luckily” no bad damage to legs so I could get her up the road to get help. She was understandably quite distraught and I was trying to calm her until I could get help . Once we got to the house- it was obvious she had taken a blow to the head and her cheek looked like it could be broken . We called her husband and the emergency dentist straight away . Thankfully after a trip to A and E it was confirmed head was ok and no bone damage on the cheek . Luckily the dentist could give her a temporary Fix until she gets crowns in January . Her shoulder and leg were very bruised as well.

I won’t lie the accident spooked me and my poor friend is still quite shook and remains in a bit of pain . It was just how quickly it happened - how fast life can change that really made me think . The next day I did run myself and I have to admit I was nervous and avoided darker places I would usually run on. I don’t know if my buddy will be up for training now - I haven’t asked as obviously not a priority for her right now

The weather was awful and I lost my mojo a little ( and re- engaged with my red wine fetish ) so didn’t run again until Xmas day - when I did a fast ( for me ) 25 min 5k before dinner . I know I did some strength training as well but stopped record keeping as well the last few weeks 😭. St Stephens day another 5k - progressive (randomly) . Then a 5k with the dog which was like a Fartlek . Next up I stumbled out a 12k slow and two strength sessions were thrown in the mix . Which leads me to today lounging here with a hangover after the stunning concert last night . I am currently contemplating another 5k before I’m off to a NY Eve party . Hard work this good living . Happy new year all !!

Happy New Year R.

Your poor friend. What an end to 2022 and start to the year. Hope she recovers fast.

Well done on your Christmas running. You did a hell of a lot more than I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Sorry to hear about your friend Bluesquare - broke my own front tooth in a running fall last year. Banged my face up bad and I won’t lie I was distraught - more so re tooth and face than knee which I also hurt. Hopefully your friend recovers soon. Best of luck with your own training.

What a nightmare for your friend, that's a pretty awful and costly fall.

Best of luck for 2023 BS! I hope it's a super year for you ☺️

My friend is recovering well and after a running break over Xmas is back with the whip heading me towards this spring half !

Generally I’m a great planner but need a bit of company to be consistent on the follow through . Covid though has helped in this department so I think I’m less dependent in general but the thoughts of running more than ten miles solo is still soul stealing ! Also during covid years i think my form has improved slightly on hills ( I practised a bit) and I’m better with wind ( not great ).

So last week was the first week of half training .

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: There was a session scheduled but I was still beaten down but the Xmas excesses so decided to just run 10k easy @ 6:20 in pegs .

Wednesday: Total body strength work out - which was actually mostly legs ( ouch)

Thursday : The put off session complete in adidas pros . I wanted to wear my speed 1s but it was too wet and they just don’t feel safe in the wet .

Planned session : 10k with 1k Hmp * 4 ( 2 min jog rec)

Actual Session : I just couldn’t get HMP in those shoes . At HMP effort they kept clicking in around 4:53 - I was slowing down near the end of each rep to hit about 5:00 which is more or less CV for me . ( 4:57,4:59,4:57,4:58) . The last one wasn’t as handy as the other 3.

Legs started to seize up after session with the DOMs kicking in

Friday : Arms and Abs Strength work

Saturday : 14k @ 6:04 endurance .( pegs) First time purposely doing this type of long run . Paces all a bit on the fast side I think . Last two km where very tough - felt like a race. Lack of endurance problem here and bloody DOMs)

(6:38,6:18,6:11,6:05,6:07,6:05,6:06,6:03,6:00,5:53,5:49,6:16 (giant hill) 5:38,5:33)

Sunday : 4 mile recovery@ 6:20 . ( pegs)

Stretch and strengthening session - some random utube video I have been using since 2019 marathon training . Seems to keep piformis / sciatica at bay or whatever the butt pain is that plagues me from time to time . Also used my massage gun on calves and quads .

25 miles for the week . Hopefully signals a good start to the year !

That's a great week, well done. Glad to hear your friend has recovered.

Do you find the massage gun good? I think i may invest, my outside of knee was sore yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's coming from either the ITB or the calf - or potentially both 😂 I need to start stretching and possibly a massage gun wouldn't be a bad investment.

Thanks . Cant really comment on massage gun - first time using properly ( have it since last Xmas lol but haven’t been running enough for sore muscles ) . I’ll keep you posted !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I have one and I find it great (when I remember to use it!!). I hate foam rolling, this is much easier and it does work better on quads and calves then the foam roller (for me anyway).

Thanks - what setting do you put it on - do you go hard or or a relatively light touch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I find it good for the legs but hard to use myself on the traps and neck which I badly need. I use a light touch as I’d be wary of overdoing it and inadvertently doing more harm than good.

Both! Depending on what you need, I'd use 4 for quads and 2 building to 3 with a sharper tool for calves (ouchy ouchy!) and achilles. You'll know very quickly what you can tolerate where. Haven't gone to 5 yet 😳

I find it great for my neck, mine has an attachment especially for that area, light touch for sure around there, slightly firmer around the shoulders.

• Advertisement

Second week of half training . Thinking about it now - I have a very lofty goal for a short training period ( 1:50 half). Oh well - what doesn’t kill me and all that . I won’t lie though I do feel like I’m in a good place fitness wise -but I maybe let down by lack of stamina in the long run.

Monday: Rest ( on rest days I try to keep steps around 12k - having a lively little mutt encourages this - there is no speed walking or sweating going on here all low key ambling )

Tuesday: Session : w/u 2k@6:03, 2k hmp (5:03,5:01), 90 secs jog recovery , 2k hmp(4:57,4:58) 90 secs jog recovery , 2k hmp (4:59,5:03), 2.5k c/d. 11k in total

Shoe: Adidas pro

A successful session given the windy conditions especially by the sea . We chatted through the first rep and a lot of the second . The third one I was working hard . I appreciated the reps are slightly too fast but that would be the shoes . The effort seemed correct .

Wednesday: Rest ( a visit to the run hub and lululemon whilst in the big smoke - only purchase some Maurten gels and some tailwind samples)

Thursday : 10k steady with 4* 100m strides in very windy conditions ( 6:03) . Upperbody strength work out . Oh and wearing new speed 3s. Nice

Friday : Total Body strength work out

Saturday : 16k @ 6:02 endurance .( speeds) it was a lovely glidey chatty run if not a wee bit breezy .I felt strong . I have been listening a bit to Stephen Scullion he’s a very Interesting character - a bit wild . I think these endurance runs are the equivalent of the “ grey” or steady runs he was talking about . I do need a third gear and I’m hoping these endurance type runs will help my stamina .

Sunday :7k recovery@ 6:28 ( pegs) with Stretch and strengthening session

44k for the week. Legs feel good but that’s probably a fake comfort as I have been dying with a toothache since Friday and drugged up on nurofen . Really not happy with this pain ! 8 weeks to go . I suppose a ten week plan is reasonable 😱

edit : went to dentist and have an infection in tooth which is also in lymph nodes . Have antibiotics, steroids and serious pain killers but like can I run doc ?

Post edited by Bluesquare on

Third week of half training . 

Monday: Rest . Raging toothache ongoing - I made my way to the dentist who confirmed bad infection and gave me lots of drugs. 2 sets of antibiotics, horse painkillers and steroids

Tuesday: No running as I didn’t want to make my pain any worse . I did a total body strength session instead .

Wednesday: The pain started to subside so I thought I’d risk doing the session .

Plan: 12k with 4k @HMP with 4 mins rest and then 3k @ HMP , c/d

The first 1k of the HMP was horrific - it was a slight incline ( and a bit icey) and I just couldn’t get the pace faster than 5:19 - I felt like I was working hard . I was considering just changing the run to easy but decided to try another km. Second Km (5:11) was on pace but I was feeling like I was racing . So I told myself “do 4k as close to HMP as you can then you can go home” . So two more kms ( 5:10 and 5:11) and I was ready for a slow jog . Jogged slowly for prescribed 4 mins and thought maybe I’ll try to do 1 more repeat . 3k later I was back feeling it and enjoyed the second batch ( 5:04,5:03,5:03) . I found myself 3k from home so had a long cool down and did a total of 8 miles . I was buzzed after - often in a race I would feel like that and I’d just decide I was done and it was all pointless etc . I feel like this is some kind of breakthrough !I also didn’t really notice the wind until half way through so that’s impressive for me as usually wind panics me .

Shoes: Adidas pros

Thursday : 8k steady with 4* 100m strides ( 6:03) . Strength and stretch ( with abs) (pegs)

Friday : Upper Body strength work out 

Saturday : 18k @ 6:03 endurance with 2k of HMP . Nice run , felt strong - the HMP was tough but comfortable . Where I run on Saturdays is by the river and there is a lovely flat well surfaced path . This means there are loads of runners using it to do sessions . I have come to enjoy watching the really fast guys zoom by . They are a joy to watch and always give me a kick to check my own form. I didn’t take any water or gels etc so really need to sort that next week as legs were tired near the end .

I did a quick 10 min leg session straight after.

( shoe:speeds)

Sunday :7k recovery@ 6:28 ( pegs) with Stretch and strengthening session

Fourth Week of half training

Week Beginning 23rd of Jan

This is a step back week. I think I may have got carried away the previous week with the strength sessions . I’d forgotten that very strong painkillers might mask muscular pain as well . Ouch . Come Monday my toothache had gone but my whole body just ached. Probably the effect of the antibiotics as well . Despite this I had a notion that I could sign up for Raheny 5 mile .

Monday: Rest .

Tuesday: 10k steady progression . I found this hard . So glad it wasnt a tougher session as my legs would not have been able . ( 6:30,6:21,6:14,6:03,5:56,5:46,5:36,5:30,5:26,5:17). Heart rate was higher than any of the tough sessions . ( pegs) . Stomach was not great . I’ll spare you the details

Wednesday: Upper Body strength

Thursday : 10k easy @ 6:09 (pegs). Not even sure what easy pace is now - decided to try keep heart rate under 140 . (133) .

I let the idea of Raheny slip away as my legs really didn’t need a race .

Friday : rest ( out for a few beers after work in big smoke )

Saturday : 16k @ 5:53 endurance

Waited until the evening so I was well hydrated . This was an endurance run all right . How long can you endure bursting to pee without having to stop 🤪. 9k I lasted . Kept loosing track of my progression paces as couldn’t think of anything else . I wouldn’t mind but I went before I left ( about 4 times) . Curse of being a middle age woman with a tiny bladder . After a 5 min break of course to find a loo etc I continued on my way . So a different type of endurance . It was tough at the end even after my break .

(6:30,6:27,618,6:16,6:08,6:05,5:56,5:53,5:47) ( 5:44,5:40,5:36,5:34,5:29,5:25,5:20)

( speeds)

Sunday :8k recovery@ 6:24 (pegs) with Stretch and massage gun

Not a great week energy / leg wise . Didn’t do a huge amount of strength work as I was just too tired . Hopefully this week will be much better as intensity ramping up . My heart rate resting and otherwise ( apart from Tuesdays run) appears to have dropped a bit . This is not always a good sign for me but I’m hopeful it just means I’m fitter.

Fifth Week of half training 

Week Beginning 30th of Jan

My legs were not in the best shape on Monday . My sciatica ( self diagnosed ) was hurting and was uncomfortable on sitting and walking . I was kilt doing stretches for sciatica Sunday /Monday . I think I might have triggered something or made something worse with the massage gun. Bloody amateur.

Monday: upper body strength and various stretching routines . Panicking wouldn’t be able to do Tuesdays session

Tuesday : Miraculously legs were in working order. I was though feeling concerned about the session as last week felt hard with no real hard session . Time for the Vaporflys to emerge from the depths of the wardrobe to save the day . Luckily the wind had died down slightly so no excuses .

workout : 2k warm up 2*20 min hmp with 4 min jog bewteen sets

The vapers are the job . The first set felt steady and comfortable and we were even chatting a little . The normal effort for the pace was too fast and I had to pull back a few times to try and stick to the required pace .( 5:08, 5:03,5:02,5:02) The first 2k in the second set was similar - several times I found myself going too hard and pulled back too comfortably hard . The last two k I did work harder as the wind had increased but I was still remained control . ( 5:04,5:04,5:08,5:03) I have worked a lot harder on those paces in the past . Dare I say it … I think I deffo have a sub 50 in my legs right now !

Added some strength for runners.

Wednesday: 10k easy @ 6:30 . Legs were tired I won’t lie .

Thursday : rest

Friday : 10k steady/easy/moderate /grey @6:03 followed by strength training for runners ( shout out to Kelly girl and her “ running buddy pal !)

Saturday : 18k progression with 3k @ hmp. Tried a gel here at 9k - a real food gel with caffeine- had chia in it strange texture . I think it helped . The run was grand and chatty until the hmp bit . I worked hard but hit the paces ok . Glad it was only 3k .

Sunday :rest

I know Sunday hasn’t happened yet but I’m off to the big smoke for a night out so no chance of any exercise happening tomorrow .

31 miles . Longest mileage in about 3 years . I know it’s low in comparison to most people on here but I’m delighted with it . I feel strong and fit at the moment . Not sure on stamina for the half as didn't come into this with any real base but another month for improvements . Bring it on

You are doing great. Well done in the strength. How are you finding the app?

Thanks . Don’t feel too great this morning 😂. I’ve only start using it this week - good so far - I like that it’s running specific and he explains why each exercise is beneficial for running . It’s easier on the legs to do after a hard session especially when you’re just reloading miles and starting to incorporate strength . Minimal doms. Loads of personal interaction as well. I am still going to add upper body weights to my routine ( vanity ) . My and arms scrawny but getting a little contoured now - triceps peeking out for first time ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You're doing great!

6th Week of half training 

Week Beginning 6th of February

I have been listening to a few random running podcasts and I’ve taken on board some good nuggets ( well we will see) . Two main pointers : Run the mile you’re in and relax, don’t panic and do an honest form check ! These seem obvious . I have parroted run the mile your in as a mantra over the years but it was lip service. It’s a personality thing with me - I am always way ahead of myself - I definitely do not live in the moment . My husband thought it was hilarious that this was an awakening for me.

Monday: Rest but a round trip to cork aggravated my sciatica slightly.

Tuesday :4*1k @ V02 max .  Eek!

I was dreading this session as the required pace is quite alien at the moment . A nice long 3k warm up before the self flagellation began .

It wasn’t pretty but it’s done . (4:28,4:27,4:27,4:26) 3 min walk/run recovery

The third one was unpleasant - a moment of panic after it that I wouldn’t be able to do the last one as I was gasping/wheezing for 10 secs . Insert new mantra . 4th one was fine and felt good and finished strong

2 mile cool down . 7 miles total

Shoes=speeds

Wednesday: 8k easy @ 6:22. Strength training for runners

Shoes= pegs

Thursday : Full Body strength training .

Friday : 8k easy progression ( 6:30-5:30) @5:59

shoes=Pegs

Saturday : 20k endurance. If I’m honest here I’m kind of making up these “ endurance “ runs as I’m going along . In this instance I went with 8k easy , 8k moderate , 4 k easy . Took two gels - one around 50 mins with caffeine and one around 90 mins . Felt relatively fresh at end of run and could have kept running no probs . I wore the speeds 😍

Sunday : 8k easy@ 6:04 . Normally my easy is an easier pace than this but this felt nice and handy my average heart rate was 131 bmp. Decided to wear the speeds (3) cause I just love them and felt I needed the comfort in my recovery so maybe why the pace was a bit fast . Also did strength training for runners and hoping to do some stretching later .

34 miles . Not massive mileage for a half but turns out the most I have ever done for one ( excluding during a marathon cycle ) so that’s interesting . Next week gets hairy . I am not panicked .

7th Week of half training 

Week Beginning 6th of February 

A quick 7 weeks - the half looms ever closer . I’m looking forward to using all my new fangled mental tricks and also dreading it . Having dreams about races now . I build these things up too much in my head - like why does my brain hate me so much . I’m very tired this morning after a mammoth week of running and bad rest (despite best efforts - bleedin peri menopause and kids who like to roam around at night ).

Monday: Rest

Tuesday : The big one …. . 8k HMP with 3k warm up and 2k cool down .

I wore the Vaporflys for this one . Warm up standard enough circa 6:14 mink. 

The first 1.5 kms were tough into the wind and felt like a bit of a shock to the system . I could feel the effort and was a bit irate that the Vaporflys weren’t making me fly . After 1.5 we turned a corner and the head wind disappeared. Midway through the second km I was beginning to question my sanity and thought the watch may have been on the blink . We were in cruise mode , it felt like easy pace . Had I finally just made a big breakthrough in my fitness? The next 3.5 kms were handy with a conscious effort to keep down the pace all the time fantasising about my potential pbs.

After 5k we loop through a park before doubling back on ourselves . Sweet baby Jesus the wind. The last 3k weren’t jolly . I certainly had to put the effort in now to maintain hmp. I can’t believe I didn’t notice the wind on my back carrying me along on the outward leg - cruising my butt. 6k was all right , 7k a bit of a slog and 8k a push but I kept to the required pace . Stupid wind .

Anyway delighted with my effort - it’s unusual for me to maintain that kind of pace in wind like that . So maybe I am getting stronger after all . Bodes well for future 10k pb attempts for sure

(5:06,5:03,5:04,5:07,5:07,5:07,5:08,5:06,).

The Vaporflys start feeling squashy on the cool down - like socks are bunched underfoot and toes jammed into each other . I don’t notice this when running fast .

Wednesday: 8k recovery: 6:37 min k Strength training for runners

Shoes= pegs 

Thursday : 7 mile easy/mod with 4 *100m strides

Shoes=speeds

Friday : Upper body strength

Saturday : The long run …… this should be a progression run starting at about 6:40 finishing at 4k hmp and lasting 20k. Way to complicated if your trying to solve the worlds problems at the same time . So we tweaked slightly and did the first tenk easy ( average about 6:18)- chatting and not bothering with pace . Loads of ups and downs to keep us working whilst we yapped.

The second tenk we went into progression mode - plan was to do 5:50*2,5:40*2,5:30*2 and 5:10*4. Some how we ended up doing 3*5:30 and an extra k . (Bad on the run maths ) . Spilts were 5:49,5:54,5:37,5:37,5:30,5:30 and 5.29.

Anyways the last 4k was pure torture into the wind . Breathing all over the shop - I do not recommend drinking a half a bottle of red wine the night before running a half marathon. It’s done though and I hit the paces even if it was hellish (5:10,5:09,5:07,5:04). I took two gels - some real food chia seed concoction with caffeine and a precision gel . Legs were ok but breathing wasn’t great at the end ( May have took a drag on the ole inhaler).

This is the first run in this training block I “ struggled” with . I had to tell myself all sorts to get through that last 4k . I stopped looking at my watch as it was making me panic so I just followed my mate and trusted her pacing . Took deep breaths to gather myself and check form .I had to do this a few times - it does help 100%. I thought about stopping at 20k as this is all I had planned to do anyway - but I kept going 1km at a time .

Total distance : 21.35 Km

Not sure if this was a good or bad run but I was glad it was done .

I wore my speeds . After about 12 runs ( if even ) I have broken them . I love these shoes and now they have holes . I’m going to keep wearing though even if an eyesore .

Sunday : 8k recovery @ 6:30 in the pegs and strength training for runners .

38.5 miles . This week will be lower as I have a weekend away with the girls where apparently in middle of nowhere so too dangerous to run . I will be doing long run before I go - and a session Tuesday . I never do 4 runs in a row so not sure I should risk it . Not driving myself so won’t be able to drive somewhere to run . I’m thinking maybe run Monday next week instead .

Post edited by Bluesquare on

• Advertisement

A break is probably no harm either? Sometimes you come back stronger afterwards. Your check ins make me laugh with your descriptions of your runs. You are doing well though.

Advertisement