Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd guess a lot of the backlash against Bruke here is because it is fundamentalist religion that is the basis for his views on transgender rights.

From my history of viewing this site and this Current Affairs forum it has never come across to me as being a place that has great time for the LGBTQIA+ agenda.

Equally organized religion has never got many supporters around here.

I'd imagine that if the stand being made by Burke was instead being made by some atheist intellectual they would get a lot more support here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nonsense - there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Burke is a threat to any child.

He was willing to go to prison for a figment of his imagination. He is clearly mentally ill.

He shouldn't be anywhere near a child.

The haunted creep needs to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not disagreeing.

But we will see more of this and similar as evangelicals, who gave strong personal beliefs and fewer organisational controls, become more numerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭Furze99

That's what I was thinking too. The amount of unwarranted vitriol directed at this Burke fella is weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I suspect there'll be an increased focus on hiring practices in schools tbh. The likes of this idiot shouldn't be let within an asses roar of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can you explain why?

I agree with you (although its probably best applied at teacher registration rather than hiring) But it's hard to see how to frame the justification in non-discriminatory terms, or ones that don't have unintended consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I don't like the demeanor of the guy, why couldn't he drive to school by himself. A real lack of humility by someone who identifies as Christian.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Genuine question, are pronouns dealt with in the bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

and you can have it both ways, which he needs to learn.

You have to accept people for who they are not who you want them to be.

Enoch is just interpreting his religion in a way that suits his bigoted viewpoint, because no bible mentions anything about pronouns, but it does say to love your neighbour which he ignored.

The problem is the sheltered and ignorant upbringing he has endured where having only one viewpoint is normal and there is no tolerance or acceptance towards people of a different belief system. He has never had to see the world through someone elses eyes, or experienced a life outside his own and hes not starting to do so now either. He and his siblings have been educated to a high level academically but socially they inhabit in a dark lonely hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is not willing to go to prison for said figment. He is not unhinged he is a very with it grifter.

He is going to prison for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭RossGeller

Do people not realise that this thread is exactly what he wants. People talking about him, his family and his beliefs.

If he didn't want attention he would've just stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know nothing about the child in question or their parents. The only horrible irresponsibility round here is you making definitive, personally harmful statements about a situation that you know nothing about.

Does it matter? Is religion not addictive to some people?

The point is that humans oft do whats not good for them, practicing religion falls into that category at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The only dodgy parents in this whole thing are the Burkes.

Not one of their brood is cut out for the real world and they all have absolutely no social skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I know as much detail about the dispute as you or most people, if Burke was a Muslim I’d have the same opinion on the kid’s parents for pandering to them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,982 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, surely the department of education and the department of transport are pushing for children to get to school using sustainable travel, rather than being driven by their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Probably difficult to frame in official public sector guidelines alright. A simple google search of any candidate being considered for an interview weeds these morons out in most private sector organisations "not a good fit for the culture of the team etc.", framing that in a manner for PS though is quite tough.

Another good reason to remove religion from the education system entirely imo. Then you could weed out those from proselytising backgrounds as being "not in line with the ethos of the school" .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'd imagine when your only social outlet is bath time with your siblings, real people terrify you.

Especially when you're still doing bath time in your 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

On a serious note what is the deal with the dad turning up with him?

He use do the same thing when they went to college in Galway.

Some things are good for you some things arent.

Some people cant tell the difference and think whats bad is actually good, its a mistake often made by religious types.

This is a good example, a follower of religion showing his intolerance, ignorance and hatred is going to lose his job and be rendered unemployable and socially outcast, and all because of a makey-up book about some makey-up people and what they may or may not have said a few thousand years ago. But hey he has “faith”. No job and time in jail but “faith”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Your last line would definitely not work as it would be against the Constitutional right to freedom of religion and beliefs.

The teaching, or not, of region, has no relevance to the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Humria

The family all appear to be melodramatic. It's like that friend you have that loves to create drama to feel important.

The discussions I have had about this case feel like those people were having about Charlie Sheen a few years ago. The man appears to be a bit deranged. He seems deluded about his own self-importance and the impact he is going to have. The actually beliefs he is defending appear to be secondary to his need to be a martyr. We all have beliefs we want to defend and there are pragmatic ways of trying to implement change. If he really did not want to call a child by a different pronoun he could have just refused. The theatrics and the contempt of court appear to be more about his ego and his need to see himself as a great martyr. I'm aware I've said martyr twice but I cannot think of a more appropriate word.

Realistically, what he has done changes nothing. The law will not change and peoples views on the issue of pronouns will not change. He's made himself feel important though so...good for him.

EDIT: I feel sorry for the child, their family and the staff in school. I imagine it's been very stressful for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

With two applicants it'd be easy to pick the non-Burke and save a world of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭growleaves

I can't remember which book but there is a passage in the Old Testament where a man is dressing up as a woman and he is told not to do this.

The metaphysical assumptions underlying the Bible would be that changing sex is not possible.

Belief that changing sex is possible depends on a number of other beliefs. One is that the non-physical differences between men and women are "socially constructed". That in itself would not have been accepted by almost anyone from history. Or indeed most people alive right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭feelings

no thanks, i don't want my tax money paying for this guy to be in jail. Fine him 10,000 EUR every time he goes to the school. The money can go to a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭Gusser09

But the thing is the vast vast majority of people don't have a view or opinion on pro nouns. I'm telling you now. Most people wouldn't know what a pro noun is if you stopped them on the street and asked them.

The Burkes are contrary. If you told them it was raining outside they close the curtains and tell you it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No idea but you’d have to imagine that a “good Christian” would respect another’s wishes to be called whatever they want to be called.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Advertisement