Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Junk Food…

• 06-01-2023 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Is there any type of junk food which isn’t too bad?! Which is the least bad of the junk food if you get me?

I believe popcorn is not too bad?! Or is that nonsense?

Is there really any difference between Diet Coke and Coke? Or is that all marketing nonsense?

I see low calorie crisps advertised in Aldi - marketing nonsense? Or any truth to it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

It's generally best to minimize your intake of junk food, as it tends to be high in added sugars, salt, and unhealthy fats, and low in nutrients. However, if you do choose to indulge in junk food, some options may be less detrimental to your health than others.

For example, popcorn can be a relatively healthy snack if it is air-popped and not coated in a lot of salt, sugar, or butter. It is a whole grain and provides some fiber, although it is not as nutrient-dense as many other whole grains.

As for the difference between Diet Coke and Coke, Diet Coke is a sugar-free version of Coke that is sweetened with artificial sweeteners. It contains fewer calories than Coke, but it is important to note that artificial sweeteners have been the subject of much debate and research, and their long-term effects on health are not fully understood. Some studies have suggested that they may be linked to certain health issues, while others have not found such an association.

As for low calorie crisps, they may be lower in calories than regular crisps, but they are still a junk food and should be consumed in moderation. It's always a good idea to read the ingredient list and nutrition label on any packaged food to get an idea of what you are eating and make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I hear ya and I’m doing pretty well these days on junk food :) Just trying to think of even small little improvements without having zero junk food in my life! Don’t drink or smoke, exercise a fair bit so need something :) Again just trying to see if I could make even a small little improvement without taking all the joy out of my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

What about making your own deserts...yes there unhealthy but at least you know what goes into them and I think when you make things yourself it feels better. Something like Banana bread done well is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Cill94

No food is inherently 'good' or 'bad' in isolation. It's the sum of your entire diet that matters.

For example, eating chocolate for all of your meals would be bad because you'd get poor nutrients and probably be in a calorie surplus (fat gain). But a single bar at the end of a day where you've eaten 80-90% well is not a big deal at all.

The better options for junk food tend to be ones that are lower in calories. Popcorn is a great option, as well as some of the low cal, high protein desserts that many supermarkets now sell.

As far as regular coke vs diet, I would always advocate for diet. The science leans towards artificial sweeteners being fine in moderation, and certainly much much better than the heaps of liquid table sugar that is most sodas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Judging how I feel the next morning, a sourdough pizza for me doesn't come with the sluggishness and low energy that would with the likes of a chipper or chinese. Mainly for the sake of saving money, I've stopped getting fast food and will treat myself to a homemade "junk meal" once a week. It's a reward, which I think is important, and I know exactly what is going in so i'm still staying within my calorie range. Don't even miss take aways now and my wallet thanks me, along with my body.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I’ve being eating healthier and healthier in last few years - I’ve noticed then when I do try have proper junk food it doesn’t really feel good - like the body isn’t used to it/can’t take it anymore….Every January for past 4/5 years I try make 1 or 2 small improvements - nothing major but all adds up I feel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Diet coke is not good for you. It offers no benefits. But not being good doesn't mean its bad for you. Most like it neutral, void of anything.

Code is bad for you, 100% confirmed.

I'll take neutral, over definitely bad for your diet any day.

Advertisement