Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Few nice pics in this Indo article about Stena Vision though "new" is a bit of a stretch 😁 and of course Brittany Ferries Pont Aven has more cabins than this ship.

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/new-cruise-ferry-to-sail-from-ireland-to-france-with-nordic-spa-and-42-pet-friendly-cabins-42179107.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The Stena Vision is finally online for booking AND for those with pets, they also have pet cabins where you can keep them rather than in kennels like on other ships.

Theres also family "4 berth" cabins with a double and 3x singles so for a larger family (with more than 4 people) spot on.

Theres no telly unless you go for the superior cabin @300 Euro + per sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

More options, Brittany ferries is opening its weekend Rosslare - Le Havre service to passengers from March .

It'll suit some, wont suit people in Cork who like (i.e, require to be) travelling from Cork, or, people looking to go to a campsite 3km from Roscoff and look upon any alternative ferry as being completely useless and not worth talking about, or even mentioning to the rest of humanity that it exists.

For the rest of us, it could be a damn useful option depending on where youre going.

Friday

Le Havre-Rosslare : departure 19h00 – Arrival 14h30

Saturday

Rosslare-Le Havre : departure 17h45 – Arrival 15h00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Great to have yet another option for France. And I'm from Cork 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Hi All

Happy New Year

anyone any recommendations for the usual car hire companies in France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭leakyboots

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Any recommendations for campsites around Biarritz/Bilbao/San Sebastian area? We're sailing to Bilbao and looking to try a few days camping (have a 2-yr old) with our tent in between renting a few Air BnBs/hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭josip

We had a nice week in Yelloh Labenne last year with the tent. But we stayed a full week so we were able to book one of their pitches with a private kitchen and bathroom. If staying less than 7 days its a basic pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭dedaw

Hi all, planning our first foreign holiday and looking for some help/advice. We are a family of 6 (kids ages will be 11/9/6/6) - can ships accommodate that number?

Also, if we were to fly to Nice - any recommended campsites around there? Looking for good pools, kids club, entertainment, decent restaurants, near a town/village would be a bonus! Obviously would need to sort transfers as won't have a car.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi there, we have never flown to France but this will be our 8th year going by Ferry, 2 adults and 3 kids.

We also haven't stayed near Nice so this info might not be of much use to you.

From all the campsites we've visited in Brittany & Vendee the best all rounder for activities & entertainment is a Sandaya Campsite near Talmont St Hillaire, it's also close to Puy Did Fou which is an absolutely spectacular reenactment theme park which your kids will love.

My next recommendation would be Yelloh campsite Les Mouettes in Carantec which is only 20 minutes from Roscoff which is ideal for anyone not too keen on driving too much in France, it's a really beautiful site with great facilities, the only thing that let's it down for me is it's location as there aren't many surrounding towns to visit, but we took a break for 2 years and we're returning this summer.

If nearby towns and sights are the most important thing then you won't do any better than Domaine Des Ormes in Dol De Bretange, it's surrounded by spectacular locations like Mont St Michel, St Malo, Dinan, Dinard etc. It's also a huge campsite with loads of different providers and a really jam packed schedule, the only thing that let's Les Ormes down in my opinion is the size of the bar in comparison to the size of the campsite, if there's a band or bingo or a quiz you literally have to be there 2 hours before it starts to get a table.

We normally try a new campsite every year along with two of our favourites, last year's new one was Yelloh l'ocean De Breton, it was a great site with the best pool complex that we've ever experienced, what let it down was the amount of English speakers on the animation team which meant we sat there clueless a few nights evening on the welcome drinks night not one word of English was spoken and this meant the kids weren't included as much in kids camp, it made no sense as between Irish, Dutch and English we greatly outnumbered the french speakers.

The New site the year previous year was Yelloh Port De Plaisance in Benodet, Benodet is a stunning location and you can get the ferry across to Port De Sainte Marine, it's my wife's favourite town as we've stayed in La Point St Gilles on previous occasions, this campsite was also really good as most Yelloh villages are but we noticed that they took live bands and other shows indoors to the bar area which isn't ideal for kids, even though they had a massive outdoor stage and covered seating, it made no sense to me. This might not be an issue with you though as your kids are older so might sit down for a while performance.

And last but not least is Siblus Domaine De Kerlann near Pont Aven, Siblu are a notoriously French campsite and have less independent operators on site but we've been booking a private mobile home with a contact we know for the last few years which brings the price down, the language barrier doesn't exist as they have English entertainers working there every summer, and I would also refer to it as a party campsite with the earliest bar opening times, happy hour, late discos and foam parties, there's stunning beaches nearby and great towns like Quimper, Pont Aven, Nevez etc.

I hope some of this information helps you or someone else reading and I hope you have a great holiday whatever you decide to do.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone, hope you're all excited for this year's adventures and planning.

As I mentioned in my post above we're traveling to France again this summer, I pulled the trigger on the ferry yesterday as the cabins were almost gone on Brittany out of Cork, it's looking like I'll be coming back with Stena into Rosslare though as there's no cabins on Brittany into Cork on our return dates.

Anyway as I mentioned we like to try one new campsite every year so once again I'm looking for recommendations please but I have it narrowed down so I would appreciate it if anyone could give me their experiences or advice on the following Sandaya campsites, I'm going with Sandaya as I have a few loyalty nights. It will be the middle 8 nights as we're going to Les Mouettes for our first stop and we're finishing up in Domaine de Kerlann.

Option 1: Camping Le Ranolien

Option 2: L'Anse Du Brick

Option 3: Côte De Nacre

Option 4: Escale St-Gilles

Or any other Sandaya that you thought would suit our needs in Brittany/Normandy.

We are two adults and three kids 11/6/5, nice nearby towns & villages, good water slides into shallow water preferable, good entertainment schedule, English speakers in the animation team, good playgrounds.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We did Escale St Gilles last year with a 3 and 7 year old with Sandaya. Pool was great, with all slides into shallow water. Great entertainment every night, mostly orientated towards kids and accommodating English.

Right beside Benodet which has nice restaurants, and Quimper is nearby and lovely too.

Thanks very much for the reply & the info, I meant to mention that we have been to Escale St-Gilles before but it was when Sunêlia ran it but it's since been taken over by Sandaya, we loved the pools and surrounding towns especially the short walk into Benodet.

What I was wondering though is if anyone had been there when Sunêlia ran it & has returned since Sandaya took over and if there's many improvements, especially in the entertainment area as it was fairly amateurish when we were there with mostly in house shows run by the same guy, this was great when the kids were younger but I don't think they would be as enthralled now.

Also on our first visit the on-site restaurant was absolutely top notch french cuisine whereas when we returned in 2021 it had turned into a pizzeria.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

La Baume in Frejus is very nice. Big buck nice. Frejus in itself is a lovely area with waterparks and Luna Park local. We go to Nice every year and always stay in Frejus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

If we were going it would be 15 july onwards. How did people find night time with the heat last year? A friend of my wife’s said the nights get cooler but im not so sure. I think a/c pricewise is out of the question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Was in Clarys Plage for 3 weeks in mid July last year and we would have loved aircon for the majority of nights. There was a real spell of heat for around a week that was way above anythnig we have encountered in the past 10 visits to France.

We are going further south towards Royen this year, to Les Charmettes, and Aircon was a mandatory choice. Was there 10 years ago and I hope it's as nice now as it was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The on-site restaurant is a fairly basic creperie, and there's also the snack bar for pizzas etc. Nothing amazing.

Entertainment is all run by one guy -- crazy mop of hair on him. Does everything from tend the bar, make the costumes to perform in the shows. Kids loved them -- funnily enough the show they didn't like was some famous hypnotist, was very French heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Anyone ever been to Bonne Anse Plage? it’s a Siblu campsite in Royan. Our kids are 3 and 8.

We went to La Pin Parsol last year and had a great time but looking for somewhere a little closer to a town and the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭BullBauld

We were in Des Ormes last July during the extreme heat. High 30's into 40's.

Those few days without the Aircon were extremely hard, super tough at night. Around the low 30s it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

Was there last year, it would not be within walking distances of the town or the beach with a 3 year old. The town is about a 20 minute walk on the cycle path and the beach is further in the other direction. The campsite is not on a beach that you would sit on and swimming would be a definite no. If you have bikes it’s easily doable.

• Advertisement

Thanks webpal. Yeah not much is walkable with a 3 year old, but we will have our bikes. We found Le Pin Parasol very remote.

Any other feedback on the site? What was the entertainment like? Sounds like the pool and slides are a big draw? What was the on-site restaurant like?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anybody got any electric car charger tips ?

Thinking of bringing the electric car but here alit if the chargers can be hit or miss or really slow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Not a tip but I'll give my experience last year with my Model S.

We live in Dublin and took ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg. Irish Ferries have an option of charging on board - we didn't use it the way over.

From Cherbourg, we went to the supercharger in Rennes en route to the Vendee. 8 stalls if I recall and no waiting. Loads of Irish! 40 minutes later and we were back to 100%. Appreciate that's not an option for everyone but make sure you're signed up to Ionity (as you probably know, super fast and good network in France) and a provider like Plugsurfing that you can use multiple chargers.

I had identifed several 50kw chargers in our area that I could top up through our 2 weeks stay. In the end, I didn't use them. We didn't use the car much and granny charged from our mobile home.

We didn't get permission for this, or pay extra, so perhaps a bit sneaky & bad form? Someone, on the last day, told me to stop due to fire hazard (??). I'm not clear if they were with Eurocamp or the camp site.

In any case, we had plenty of charge to get back to Rennes supercharger and onwards to Cherbourg.

To be safe, I had booked the charger on the way home with Irish Ferries. I think this also allowed us to board amongst the first, which was a nice bonus. Interestingly, even though there was no limit on my car, the charger stopped charging at some point. I assume there is a max time or max kw allowed, but we weren't told this. So if you have an onward journey just be careful. At a complete guess, we took ~40kw before it was switched off - still unclear if that was a fault or intended functionality.

The site itself is lovely and the cycle paths are great for running or cycling. The pool and slides are great, the mini golf and games area are a bit run down. Entertainment is done by the siblu team and centres around a stage. The bar and restaurant are right opposite with mostly outdoor sheltered seating. There is a small wall then where the masses sit outside of for the entertainment. Bar not great for TV, no GAA and Wi-Fi not great. Someone did say you could watch GAA in les charmettes close by but again not walkable but an easy cycle.

Once a week when we were there, there was a market in place of entertainment so be prepared to be fleeced by the kids!

Thanks very much for this.

I will be travelling from Cherbourg to Talmont st Hilaire, just north of La Rochelle. I’m not overly family with charging outside of my house (better get testing for my drive to Ross late for boat).

I found an app called Miio but a lot of its chargers look to be crap.

You have a Tesla so we presumably use different charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Try plugsurfing too - that gives you access to loads of different charging networks. Looks like Miio does the exact same thing but no harm having both apps in case one is cheaper, or one of the apps is offline etc.

What car are you traveling with? Model S uses CCS or Type 2 chargers, which are most common across Europe. Though, if you dont have a Tesla, you wont be able to use the Supercharger network.

Don't let any of this put you off, I can assure you it's not a difficult process. You just need to do 5 minutes planning before you go and I can help if needed. Highly recommend you plan your route with Plugshare app or "A better route planner". They also have really good websites and will suggest where you can stop for your route: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Thanks again Webpal very helpful , Les Charmetes was the other option we looked at but that seemed like a bigger site and even further away from the beach and town.

How did you find the drive down and back? Did you stay over anywhere to break the journey?

We prepared ourself for an 8 hour drive. We stopped for twice roughly an hour each time and then went to a supermarket about 20 mins before. Roads are fine. We drove to bayeau the day before on return as boat from Cherbourg was leaving around 3. Definitely doable though if getting the late boat from roscoff. Get a spare phone and sim and let kids tether off that. Once they had YouTube there wasn’t a sound out of them the whole day.

I have an MG exclusive. Because I haven’t even charged outside of my house I’m kind of nervous at the thought of taking the car to France!

Thanks so much for all the tips/advice

• Advertisement

Yeah it was the return I was concerned about. We’ll be on the Cherbourg boat. Might look for somewhere around the Normandy beaches to stop on way back.

Thanks again for the advice.

Advertisement