Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Irish ferries booking for 2023 is now online

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yep I've just booked for June 30th, returning July 17th. Bit dearer than last year but not a lot we can do about that!

We had checked earlier this afternoon and the bookings still weren't open so they've literally opened in the last hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Huge price increase in similar dates for me since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

With all the increase in capacity Ireland-France surely fares should decrease somewhat?

Was 8 returns weekly

Stena Rosslare- Cherbourg 3 returns weekly,

irish Ferries 4 returns weekly

Brittany Ferries 1 return weekly

Now 13 weekly

Stena 6 returns weekly

Irish Ferries 4 returns weekly

Brittany Ferries 3 returns weekly

(Forgive me if I'm not exactly correct, this is from memory)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

I'm seeing that also for similar dates to this year...out late June 23, back mid July. €2,200.

About €500 more than this year, over 30%. Won't be going with IF.

And to think that the ferry out and back this year only seemed to be about 70% full...it'll be even less next year at those prices and with a recession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Close to the €2.2k ourselves. Have credit to use with IF but if we didn't we would be looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

2.4k for a ferry sailing.

Might be cheaper to go on a cruise. IF losing the run of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

On most years €2400 would cover mt flights car rental and accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gaillimh

Was going to go one way with Brittany Ferries and the other with Irish Ferries but it’s the guts of a grand for the IF sailing one way.

All the flights aren’t available yet for our dates but we are going outside of July/August so I imagine flights plus car hire will probably work out a bit cheaper than the ferry (2 adults and 2 kids). Probably a different story if you have 4 kids granted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Be much cheaper taking the ferry to U.K. and then Eurotunnel to France…. And you get there the same day so no need for expensive cabin…

or if you do need to overnight, do it in a cheap as chips motel in England somewhere…

We ferried to France this summer and paid something like €1800 return, and as part of the same trip we took another DFDS ferry from Kiel in Germany to Klaipeda in Lithuania.. its 3 hours longer than the Dublin-France route and it cost us €700 return, with an identical cabin to what we got on IF…. Irish Ferries is a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

joys of living on an island

we get ripped off to get off it

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TomeeTipee

This is our first year going to France/campsites! We are looking at eurocamps and wondering if there are any additional discounts we could get/promo codes we could use as we don't have the 10% loyalty discount. Or are there any other recommendations for getting the best value?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Sorry prob wrong thread

can’t find a Holland thread but has anyone been to Holland to the sites there

france is proving difficult with flights, ferries and cost and dates

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Booked Brittany Ferries there wee while ago. €1150, out mid July for three weeks. Cork Roscoff with window 4 berth cabin. Happy enough. With price. Been traveling to France since 2004 bar covid summers, checked back old emails there and 2013 & 2014 were €1250+ with irish ferries

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I checked what our 2022 IF sailings would cost in 2023 - it is down from €2500 to €2000.

Is that outside the late June/early July rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I ran through our last summer booking (from 2019) - then €1300, now €2000. Anyway, we're flying to France again next year. Flights are cheaper than they were for this year, and it looks like car hire is also coming back down a bit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This year it was June 27th - Jul 12th.

For my 2023 dates, I had to choose June 28th - Jul 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

This wintry weather has me slightly concerned my 15th October crossing could be less smooth than my last trips there :-(

has anybody been on wb yeats in iffy weather?

That €2,500 was mad. I was roughly the same dates and got it for under €1,800.

The higher price appeared in March or so of this year with the lower price there for the months before that. And yet the ferry on the way out in late June was 2/3's full at best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Sonya4u

Hi All, just looking for a little bit of advice please.

Its our first time looking at booking a campsite in France for next year. Will be 2 adults, a 5 year old and a 4 year old. Looking for some recommendations for a site thats not a massive drive from the ferry and have good facilities for younger kids.

Also if its best to go to Cherburg or Roscoff.

Any help would be great😀Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we went to France last October half-term, both crossings were very rough. Personally I found them fine, the Yeats is a big boat and handles the swells well.

I havent a great track record so might pop a pill and lie down. Should be ok then

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

We haven't been there yet but have booked Domiane des Ormes for June 2023. Read through boards a bit and it seems to be the most recommended for those looking for a short drive with young kids. Example posted above. Sailing to Cherbourg would be best for this site.

Les Mouettes which is only a 20 minute drive from Roscoff is also usually recommended for the same criteria.

Probably best to pick a site and then decide which Port suits it best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Both ports are equidistant to Rennes so there isn't much between then except that Cherbourg is a larger town. The best advise is to pick the port based on dates and then distance.

I'd advise looking in the Vendee and Charante Maritime regions as these are only 5 to 6 hrs down - For me (in Dublin) it's just a trip to Kerry, plus an hour, if you think of it like that. 4 year olds can be managed pretty well if you break up the drive with a 2hr stop. I'll recommend Les Charmettes near Royan as a good campsite for kids of that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

I see Ryanair have launched an other route into France (Beziers) from Shannon. We're looking to go back to Millau next summer and Beziers is only 90 mins away. Prices are decent for June €200 rtn each ,car hire still ridiculously expensive.. If go back to the boat but for the 10 hr drive down from Roscoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Hi all,

First time sailing, in July/August. Looking for a recommendation for campsites somewhere within 30-50 km of La Rochelle. Ideally, good pool & slides as have 14,12 and 10 years old. and within safe cycling distance of a town for some restaurant options and a few bars.

Been to Bella Italia and it was great, if crowded. Plenty to do around the area with safe cycle paths but kids were much younger.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Going to Le Pin Parasol this year, its our first time there but it comes recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Sonya4u

Thanks a million, had looked at Les Mouettes and there seems to be very little availability. So will check out Des Ormes💖Thank you!

• Advertisement

for next saturday dub-cherbourg, winds in Penzance around 25mph. What wind speed could cause delay or cancellation for the ferry, we are only going on a wine trip so afraid we will be delayed and not have time to get wine. We should have gone today :-(

Advertisement