Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2022/23 Cazoo PDC World Darts Championship

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Look at the size of the double,treble and bull from any old match and the staples etc. Different darts too. Priestley threw a better average in the final 27years ago than Smith today and lost (several other examples). And they were playing for peanuts at the time compared to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Smith was more solid and deserved the win. He’s a different animal since the Grand Slam.

Considering how dominant he’s been MVG has not won enough World titles. 3 wins and now 3 defeats in finals. I think leg play seems to suit him better than sets. (Although he does have 6 Grand Prix’s but the double start there makes it different again).

Was a normal enough final averages wise and standard. Certainly not the greatest final of all time or anything like it.

The standard these days is way over played. This was a dreadful tournament for close games and top notch play. Few and far between to say the least.

Peak Taylor would have mopped the floor with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

Taylor is still the better player but half of his title wins were in limited with players that were past their best or limited. Not to mention 10-11 were won in 32 player comps.

It would have been a lot harder for him to build a legacy had he started out in the mid to late 00s like MVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Yeah no id agree with most of this , I still think it doesn't compare as much to advancements in other sports though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

It looked a bit as if MVG burned himself out getting to the final in the manner he did (perhaps the draw comes into play?).

Smith definitely seemed to have learned from that mistake from his last two finals; peaking very nicely into the tournament. (Anyone know if he is with a sports psycologist/Ex-Pro?).

Albeit, Smith was very lucky to get out of the Schindler match, and then Bunting gifted him a late Christmas present.

Standard-wise, was it the best?; probably not; was it the worst absolutely not.

I personally thought the close games came at the wrong end of the tournament, as did hammerings.

A 6-0, 6-2 set of semi's, in addition to a 5-0, 5-1 quarter may have soured things for those of us more versed in competitive darts.

For a tournament that looked like 800 maximums was in trouble on Christmas Day, to a tournament where the spread betting firms mid-pointed 921 on New Years Day; shows the class at the top end.

A great renewal for me, I hope the coming season and indeed next Year can live up to it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great final - not the best ever despite the hype, but it included the best leg ever so that alone makes it one of the most memorable finals. Taylor v RVB still the best ever final I'd say.

Averages were only 100 v 99 in the end, it felt like they should have been higher but the speed both players play at maybe made the quality look better than it actually was.

MVG will be very disappointed to still only have three world titles, he should have a few more by now really. And it won't get any easier now either as Smith will be a different animal in future with the monkey off his back.

I don't think the Premier League picks are announced until after the masters these days. I always think the picks are more interesting than the tournament itself though, at 17 weeks or whatever it's hard to stay interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭klose

It was probably on course to be one of if not the greatest final ever untill the 5th/6th set when both players started peppering the 1 and 5 which hurt the averages a fair bit, mvg really tapered off then also. Delighted for Smith!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Delighted for Smith well deserved. After 7 sets I thought it was on course to be the greatest ever final but it tapered off badly after that not that Smith will give a sh!te. It did have the greatest ever leg of darts though that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Full agree with people on here , it looked certainly like it would be the best ever , but mvg fell away badly and smith didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Have to agree with previous quotes, was on course to be an all time greatest final,but MVG fell apart when the pressure came on,bullyboy destroyed him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

MvG very gracious in defeat as usual. His comments on De Sousa a while back really turned me off him. He’s a much fairer loser than winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,060 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm no MVG fan, but he's a phenomenal loser. because he's so confident of winning, it goes unnoticed sometimes just how gracious he is when he's lost.

the tournament itself was pretty poor on the whole. the fact I still remember the MVG/Suljovic stuff is probably testament to that.

Smith is a deserved winner. the key to beating MVG is matching the scoring (easier said than done), but then not choking, because he will give you chances in the clutch on double if you're within striking distance. it's the one area of MVG's game that he's never fully cleaned up. Smith's scoring was so good that bar one set he was always on MVG's tail, and it told.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭US3

Thoughts and prayers with Justin Credible this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Does anyone know if the final will be shown on any non sub channels? We missed all of it due to a bereavement of the person who mainly watched it, so was hoping it would be shown at some stage on some free Sky channel or something else? Not the whole lot, just the final, seems like it was a good one.

Google only gives me results to questions I didn't ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

There's half an hour of highlights on you tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Do you have Sky Sports Mix? Its comes free with some non-sub packages including Virgin Media in the Dublin area, station 409. If so, it's been shown a few times already today (which obviously you've missed!) and is on again tomorrow Thursday at 16:30.

Oh, we've the basic Sky Q package (HATE Sky Q, what a step backwards) so not sure, but I'll give it a look, cheers!

• Advertisement

I went from watching a lot of darts back around 10 years to almost none now. But I love the World Championships. Whoever decided it should be held over the Christmas period is a proper genius. It's perfect "sure I'll throw it on and watch it" material before Christmas Day, and then the way they have arranged the games after Christmas Day is inspired.

I didn't care for Wayne 501 as a player, but he's top class as a commentator. Talks a fair amount of shíte, but that's needed during some sets.

So we do have Mix, but for some reason after talking about MvG, and now it's showing beach soccer for the last 15 min.... wtf?!

Will wait till its over and rematch! Cheers for the advice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ouch. Even their own listings webpage has it down for 16:30 to 20:00 today. I wonder has someone rolled the wrong cassette into the disk or whatever at their end. Seems like you are destined to miss it.

Sports TV Guide, Listings, Schedule, Programme | Sky Sports

No, it's on. But during the match, every time there's an ad break, they show 15 minutes of something random, like beach soccer, golf, and then go back to the next Set as if nothing happened. It's crazy. So much that we didn't get to most of it so have it recorded to fast forward those bits. First few sets were pretty good, with possibly the best leg I've ever seen in darts, followed by some terrible finishing misses! Looking forward to the rest of it though. 16 180's and only in the 4th set. Madness!

Advertisement