Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AMD Navi Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Where it "went wrong" is they both discovered that people would pay more and as a result they are now making the cards using process nodes in and around the cutting edge rather than a cheaper older one which was the norm until now. The 600 mm^2 4N 4090 die at $1600 for the complete card actually looks cheap to me when you start to compare die sizes to the AM5 cpus and even cheaper compared to Raptor Lake :-o

Just the 300 mm^2 die of the 7900 cards is already larger than all the dies of say a 7950X and with the relationship of yields to die sizes being as it is I don't think you can complain about their pricing if you aren't frothing at the mouth at the prices of the cpus?

Of course the 7900XT and 4080 both look horribly priced when compared to their flagships but until they know for sure they can't sell them they've no incentive to turn down profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inflation is meaningless with wage stagnation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Well tbh I wish they would go back to using a less advanced more affordable process note if that's the case, I had zero issues with how much performance we used to get every generation, particularly the fantastic value that used to be at the xx60 level cards for like 300euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Yeah, it really seems like they're focussing on the high end now and bizarrely that's where the actual 'value' is (if you can afford the high buy-in). Like the 4090/7900xtx end up seeming like excellent value cards for what you get, 1 step down and it's already diminishing returns. Saw somebody make the point that it used to be the opposite, spending premium money to only get modest increases.

Switch of focus from mainstream consumers to data centres/commercial buyers maybe?

Before I begin let me be clear, the 4080 and 7900XT are both truly horrible at their prices when put beside the 4090 and 7900 XTX. The naming and pricing is all about marketing games. nvidia didn't quite get away with the 4080 12GB but am I a cynic to say it helped them get the 4080 over the line?

A 6600 or 3050 are both in and around €300 now and what you are looking for and so is a 2060 which is pretty much exactly what you are asking for.

Looking at the naming scheme's to decide what level a card is at is basically playing into their marketing hands and how they have made people feel the need to spend more. If they kept following the very linear path (in raster performance Vs time) from the 560, 660, 760, 960 the 3050 would be nicely ahead of the curve and in fact the 1650 was only just a hair behind!

Take away all the names and look at die sizes and performance (and price if you want) and the 3050 is clearly part of the line going 560->660->760->960->1060->1660->3050. The 1060 (I'm talking about the 6GB to keep it a little simpler) was a bit of an outlier in terms of the fact it made a bigger leap forward in performance (when they went from 28nm to 16nm) despite going to the smallest die but it also saw the price back at the highest end of those cards instead of the lowest.

Now there are two new lines moving at a faster pace than before though I presume they will both revert unless they are willing to outbid Apple for the absolute bleeding edge node. One line is the 1050->1650->3050 and the other the 960->1060->2060->3060.

Despite all the above, the $249 for a 760 in 2013 is about $305 in 2022 so in real terms the 3060 at MSRP is less than 10% more expensive despite being maybe 50% ahead of the projected path from 560->960, or put the other way the $249 MSRP for the 3050 lands between the $199 for the 560 in 2011 and 960 in 2015.

Don't get me wrong, the 4080 is close enough the same size as the 560 (largest *60 until the 2060) and I'd love it if I could buy it for the inflation adjusted $250 but given that 560 was on a refinement of a 7 year old node the equivalent would at very best be 360mm^2 of TSMC's 12nm node (16nm refinement) used on the 16/20 series so in between a 1660 and 2060 (or between a 1080 and 1080ti on the unrefined TSMC 16nm might be closer really). Funnily enough a 3050 happens to fall right in there in terms of performance with the extra bit of ram and lower power consumption.

TLDR; how would we be any better off if nvidia had just announced an upcoming €300 4060 identical to what was actually released as a 2060 and the 4090 was somewhere between a 2080 and 2080ti in terms of performance, whether or not that was at a "bargain" 580 equivalent price of maybe $625 or 690 equivalent of maybe $1250? Hint, a €500 3060ti is in that 2080 to 2080ti zone as is the €400-€450 ish 6700 or 6700xt.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I haven't been here in a while lads, has it been established what days the AMD drop will be going forward ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is all far too complicated.

At the end of the day we need a 1080p card, a 1440p card and a 4k card. It needs to be that simple so that game developers can have a reasonably constrained set of capabilities to work with over, say, three generations of card in the marketplace at once, with players turning down the quality settings as their cards age.

Those core cards could be priced at (say) 300, 600, and 1000 euros, inflating over time, and ought to be released together and in large volumes so that people aren't "forced" to buy a card out of their budget due to timing or availability.

It's fine for there to be halo cards above that for niche applications like VR and triple screen SIM racing, or for people with more money than sense, but the normalisation of €1500+ cards in the public debate is not healthy.

Relatedly, I don't even understand why partner cards still exist. I like shopping but roll my eyes when presented with page after page of arbitrarily unique products, it's a tyranny of choice. Just engineer the products to be cool and quiet and make loads of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The thing is, at 1080, you don't need to upgrade anymore. Any card from the last 3 generations will play well at that resolution.

At 1440, there might be a meaningful fall off in lower end cards, but not much.

Is only at the stupid end of things or people pretending the human eye can tell the difference between 150fps and 300fps that you "need" an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Longing

In 2017 I bought GTX 1080 for Warhammer to run at 1440p. Average 80FPS. Today running Warhammer 3 on the same card only getting 37FPS more or less same settings. I made a new build earlier in the year waiting for the new cards to arrive. There is no way I will be paying the prices of 4080. Ridiculous. Today I'm just looking for a card that will run WH3 at 60FPS at 1440p. I'm seriously thinking of getting one of three thousand series or 6800xt from AMD if I can it around 600 to 650 max. Cards are nearly the same price has a son or daughter getting there first car to learn in. Crazy world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

So has anyone actually managed to order a 7900 XTX or did anyone go for a 7900 XT?

I have a 6900 XT so don't actually need an upgrade, just want one. But If I knew for certain a 7990 XT was coming in the summer I might hold off until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Don't know if any XTX went on sale today but the XT still freely available. I wonder who'll blink first on a price drop, AMD for that or Nvidia on the 4080

I reckon Nvidia will go first the 4080 is so badly overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Think Amd might have dropped price on the 7900xt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Not direct from them they didn't as I just checked.

Have to* sorry 😞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Worth dropping €420 on a 6700xt now or better to wait till after CES?

TBH yeah, I don't think any of the manufacturers will bother with lower-budget offerings.

This hotspot temp/throttling issue is fascinating. I'm not sure I entirely buy the diagnosis (poor vapour chamber design or manufacturing faults) but it reminds me of fuss over memory temps on the early 3080s (which IIRC could be mitigated by thermal pad mods, which won't work here).

It seems like AMD is a generation behind on cooling, at least at the high end.

Very insightful video. I'm interested in his and others follow-up. Definitely going to hold off purchasing for the time being (not like I can anyway) until things are cleared up.

• Advertisement

Water cooling the card would fix it or just buy a AIB card with heatpipes as the active cooler.

It would but its still a defective card as its sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It makes some sense and you can see it happening. Engineer specs a 4mm to 2mm internal diameter restriction on the return with a +/- 10% tolerance. Then it turns out the cards close to the upper end of the tolerance see the problem but others don't. Fluid dynamics software didn't pick up on it and it wasn't picked up in testing because its done on a vertical mount not horizontal. Then when it is reported, it takes weeks for it to filter up to the correct people because every step along the support process is designed to not fix problems. This is all made up by the way but you can see it happening when you work in large companies.

If he's correct, its probably going to cost AMD and to make matters worse graphics cards are just not selling right now. So having a generation with a recall/design flaw against it hits hard.

My only issue with his diagnosis is why removing the shroud and using a thermal camera wouldn't pick up a heat pipe problem, especially when you have a working/not working sample.

Ah you were been sarcastic. Sorry I missed it

No, I had a load of shít written and you cannot delete posts anymore so you have to leave a few dots since the new site upgrade.

• Advertisement

Ah crap that's annoying

How are the 7900xt cards holding up? Are they suffering the same design flaws as the xtx? About the only GPU bar the discounted 6950s that are tempting me to move from a 1080ti.

Saying that the 7900xt is still overpriced, wonder will they cut the price anytime soon.

Staying with the XTX issue, is it just AMD reference cards affected or partner cards too? I got the impression it was reference cards only. Do (any/some/all) partner cards use the same vapour chamber as the reference cards?

HardwareUnboxed just did a review of the Gigabyte XTX cards and didn't report any overheating. Impressive performance (better than 4080) in the games I care about like MWII (apols for tiny text, this is from about 12 mins in).

I like hardware unboxed, they're the only people who break out performance comparisons like this in a readable graph.

Hopefully it's just a reference issue, I see there's stock for both the xt and xtx on Amazon for the xtx Merc 310 variants, the price on the xt is actually cheaper than reference which is lovely but my god the 300+ gap to the xtx is hard to swallow.

I can just about justify the xt as I'd get 200 from cex for my 1080ti and so keep cost under 1k.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't sell your 1080ti to Cex for that. Sell it to someone on here or adverts for the same or similar money. I know it is a bit more hassle but at least you will give someone on here a decent upgrade for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Aye but Debauer showed card orientation during the test matters and HW Unboxed are down under... O_o

I'll just get my coat on the way out

Debauer said it was the reference card/cooler which does effect AIB's but usually the "cheapest" ones.

Seemly it was a lack of water in vapour chambers not the design. Debauer again

Debating getting an aib 7900xtx, once I've sold my current gpu I can get it down closeish to the 1k mark which is what I choose to limit myself to.

My issue is which card to get, I can get an xfx Merc 310 for 1350 on Amazon, but the others (red devil, gigabyte, nitro etc) are all coming in at around 1500 on overclockers when accounting for 23% vat. Are they worth spending more, or is the xfx a good card.

Post edited by Icyseanfitz on

XFX are building the "AMD" reference model with the problematic vapour chamber, so take that for what is worth I suppose

is it just the xfx cards giving trouble? (are they building all reference cards for all manufacturers?) or is it all reference cards?

They built the AMD branded reference cards. I believe that other oems may have reused parts of the reference design but whether that includes the vapour chamber or just the board I'm not sure.

I wonder would a 6800xt red devil (can be got at around 700) be a nice upgrade over my old 1080ti @ 1440p ultrawide, the thought of spending over 1k for either of the 7900 or 40xx cards is not sitting right, suppose the 4070ti is probably a better buy even though that price makes me even sicker 😔

I don't even think you'd need to go that high. A 6700 would do for most people at 1440p.

Does the game get better if you spent an extra 200 quid to make it 15% shinier? Fallout 3 looks like **** but it's still a great game.

• Advertisement

I wonder what the 6700 xt/6750 xt performs like at 1440p in comparison to a 1080ti. If it's at or greater than 50% increase I'd definitely consider it. Would leave a bit if money to upgrade my old Intel 6700k

Looks to be about that.

Bear in mind you will also get a substantial boost from a processor upgrade. So upgrading to a 12th gen + Intel or a ryzen 5600 will give you a better performing system overall when you're not gaming.

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti/intel-core-i9-10900k-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-4-20ghz

That's my thinking really, instead of spending stupid money on a gpu get a whole system upgrade with a reasonable (if that's even possible anymore) GPU, if I was to go something future proof would am4 be the best option? 7600x a good cpu?

was looking at 6900 xt's for the craic, priced at €900 and far above, why would anyone buy that, same situation for the 3080 really

If you are not the sort of person who upgrades every year or two, then don't worry about "future proofing".

Your options are:

intel 12600 or 13600, or AMD 5600/5700,either is a good buy and ddr4 is cheap.

Amd 7700, which needs ddr5 memory (not cheap) and the Am5 motherboards aren't cheap either. I'd almost wait for an 7600x3d if I was considering am5 though.

Unless I'm being dumb that link says 19% average at 1440p and that's with the cpu change. Apples to apples with a 12900k they say 106 for the 1080ti, 125 for the 6700xt, 181 for a 6800xt and 192 for a 3090 (my guess at the best reasonable but maybe slightly conservative proxy for the 4070ti and 7900xt). I wouldn't take their numbers as gospel but bang per buck (ignoring ray tracing anyway) the 6800xt for €700 strikes me as the best choice if you aren't happy with your 1080ti and don't care about RT, DLSS3, media encoders or anything else which might try and convince you to splurge on the latest cards.

For a 7600X you meant AM5 not AM4 and yes the 7600x is fine for gaming and if you really want to throwmoney at future proofing I'd certainly go with AM5. Ignoring future proofing though the difference between a 7600X and 5600 with board and ram is so wide now though that if you are trying to talk yourself down from a 4070ti/7900xt to a 6800xt then you should probably talk yourself down to the value platform also ;)

The non-X and X3D AM5 chips were announced yesterday but no 7600X3D. Clocks are "interesting" for the X3D cpus and no prices for them yet either.

If you can get a 6800xt for €700 you can probably get a 5600, B550 board, 16GB ram and 6800xt for around the same price as a 7900xt/4070ti. They don't have a 5600 on that comparison site only a 5600X but that's a very small difference so they say (on ultra) you would get 94 now, 104 with just the 5600X change, 150 with just the 6800xt change and 177 if you do both.

https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/compare-multi/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-vs-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-vs-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/intel-core-i7-6700k-4-00ghz-vs-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-vs-intel-core-i7-6700k-4-00ghz-vs-amd-ryzen-5-5600x/ultra-vs-ultra-vs-ultra-vs-ultra

Drop to high and it's 149, 163, 221 and 254.

https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/compare-multi/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-vs-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-vs-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/intel-core-i7-6700k-4-00ghz-vs-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-vs-intel-core-i7-6700k-4-00ghz-vs-amd-ryzen-5-5600x/high-vs-high-vs-high-vs-high

Always remember it varies game to game as well. If may be the case that you get 50% in one game and actually lose in another.

If your not gaming, a 6 year old mid spec system is overkill for most things.

So in a move that anyone with a brain could've predicted, AMD cards were NOT breaking due to a defective driver.

It's probably because they were power washed before sale.

Well I just bought the Red Devil 7900 XTX from Amazon. Just have to wait for it to arrive now. I was hovering the mouse over the buy button for a while and just said in the end f**k it and just bought it.

• Advertisement

Congratulations, if I had the disposable right now I would have as well, great price for a top level 7900xtx.

I know the xfx Merc 110 can be got for €1200, hopefully prices for these keep coming down.

Advertisement