Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ is a disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

And the sycophantic praise continues. I really hope you’re getting paid for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

RTE have a long history of showing great documentaries: Radharc, Hands, even Reeling in the Years. That doesn’t even include Radio 1 which has been providing top-drawer radio documentaries for almost a century. If you call that sycophancy then all I can say is get a fücking grip, man.

Also please don’t send me any more DMs, I’m really not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I understand this Dancing With the .. so called .. Stars finishes up after the next one ends ... but like them talent shows it will be just renamed ... something like Strictly Dancing Ireland ... just another 3rd rate Strictly Come Dancing knock-off ...

Same here ... would never watch it ... goes on way too long too ... from January until end of March .. they had to rush end it the first year of Covid ...

Mrs Brown's Boys is woeful ... and if that is the best they can give us Christmas night ... then there is something wrong ... the audience that finds this funny is getting smaller and smaller too ... Mrs Brown was of its time ... it was never good ... but it was an alternative to the doom and gloom of the 2010 era banking crisis and endless TV programmes presented by Pat Kenny and his ilk about it ... and it belongs in 2011 and 2012 ... by 2013 it was losing what appeal it had ...

Exactly ... Tubridy's TV and radio shows and D'Arcy's radio show ... plus whoever gets the Saturday night TV slot .. will all have OT and DWTS people on ... no wonder people are so bored with TV ... meanwhile anything good like Love/Hate or Kin only/will only last a few seasons ...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Break it up so that it becomes a purely commercial outfit. Tubs and that lot can work for this company for whatever they are prepared to pay for as long as there is a market for it.

With the money saved, create a commissioning body commissioning content made available to all channels including online streaming services.

The BBC has gone very downhill in recent years too ... while they have some outstanding drama from time to time the rest of their output leaves a lot to be desired ... they used to be good at comedy ... now they are reduced to Mrs Brown's Boys ...

BBC and RTE have some sort of deal to show it the same time ... for both it is their 'highlight' attempt for Christmas and other bank holiday nights ... it got lucky back in 2011 when people wanted anything ... just anything ... that was not about doom and gloom banking crisis recession ... by 2013 people were sick of it ... it should have finished with the 3rd season back in 2013 ... the Christmas episodes since then have been far worse than the original 3 series .. they cost fa to make .. which reflects what TV stations think of us !!

• Advertisement

+1 ... putting on endless repeats of Mrs Brown's Boys ... formulaic perennials like OT and DWTS ... and concerts by the same clique of 'artists' they support like Westlife ... and then expecting support ... RTE and TV stations in general need to remember they are funded by the people who pay the fees ... a little respect for their audience rather than pushing the same people at us would not go astray ...

Radharc and Hands? It must be a quarter of a century since they were last aired.

I wasn’t referring to your sycophancy re. documentaries, rather your never ending praise for the station, it’s content, and “talent”. Have RTÉ ever done anything badly in your opinion?

RTÉ is actually projecting much of the issues that blight its own institution unto the HSE, through negative reports on the News Bulletins on Radio 1.

The HSE does a lot better, with less resources at its disposal and all its inefficiencies than RTÉ. True, there are Cosultants employed by the HSE who are most reluctant to do anything for Medical Card holders and other Public Service Patients. RTE use the services of some beautiful people who can't abide to be in the presence of these public service patients anymore than what they need to spend time with for publicity purposes.

Yes: the light-entertainment side of RTE is something I am not a fan of. Operation Transformation, Dancing with the Stars, Ireland's Fittest Family are all programmes I would not like to watch, though I do admit that they do have a captivated audience so they're just not for me.

Now give me an example of something RTE has done well, there. Go on. One thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

Middle aged men barb.At what point do you have to acknowledge you have some sort of issue?

Every

Single

• Advertisement

Reruns of Wanderly Wagon please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Talk to Joe.....tell him about da pain dat you feeeeeel caller

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Watched ‘Tackling the All Blacks’ on RTÉ there, really great show.

The broadcaster has its problems and some poor “output” but the BBC has the same problem.

Some people focus far too much on the negative aspects, and on certain presenters, and won’t hear anything positive said about RTÉ. Anyone who doesn’t “conform” to the bitter, and twisted, hatred are driven from threads in the Radio/TV forum.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

If you bothered reading my posts you'd know I've showered praise on Paths To Freedom - a series I watch probably once a year. I paid an obscene amount of money for it when it came out on DVD first.

I'm a big fan of Oliver Callan's "Callan's Kicks", and like his hosting style whenever he sits in for Tubs. He's much more suited to the show than the incumbent. In a similar vein I liked Scrap Saturday.

Claire Byrne's recent interview with Rory Coveney was a very good interview, as was Swing-gate with Sean O'Rourke and Maria Bailey.

I really enjoyed LOVE/HATE, and I even enjoyed the much-maligned Kin.

The RTE Soccer Panel (Dunphy, Giles, and O'Herlihy) were very good in their prime, probably changed how football analysis was done for most British stations. A lot of the RTE Sports coverage when I was growing up was quite good, though with the loss of so many rights in recent years it's been very poor.

edit: forgot to include “The Savage Eye”

There's more than one for you.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭baldbear

Too many repeats of Kilnaskully from 2007 and cooking shows. They must have 7 different cookery shows. I'd like to see The Savage Eye back or something like Bull Island.

I enjoy Ireland's fittest family. I have to say that hidden camera show on Christmas Eve was absolutely brutal. The skits have been done before and some were just cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Mrs browns boys was never good but now they're not even brothered to try.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They have had the occasional hit,possibly by accident with The Savage Eye,The Panel,Nighthawks and maybe a few others I can't recall. All decades ago though,they don't seem willing to take on anything even slightly controversial,even Dustin was cast aside. The Savage Eye Isn't even on The Player afaik.

The remakes of dancing,cooking, running around obstacle courses are fine if you like them,but it was the left field individually Irish stuff that turned out to be the best reflection of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In fairness, Fittest Family is far from a remake. It is an Irish independent production that has spawned an international franchise. RTE facilitated this and created a generation of hugely positive role models for teenagers, in a Kardashian world.

Credit where credit is due.

yea they’d need some money for the new futurama episodes especially since they’d have to make them. What with it being cancelled years ago.

Also interesting note.. the two users defending RTE on this thread happen to type very, very similarly and both have quite similar bios.. 🤔

how very interesting.

• Advertisement

+1 ..

I too really enjoyed Love/Hate and Kin ... this is the sort of programme they should be concentrating on ... there is so much potential there ... look forward to a second series of Kin ...

Like all channels at present ... comedy and chat shows are problematic at the moment .... and the pandemic of reality TV is still ongoing! ... it is time to end all reality TV for a time ... esp stuff on for years like DWTS, OT and all talent shows ... they impact the chat shows and make them bad too ... it is also time to get rid of Mrs Brown ... the latter was ok 10-12 years ago .. never great but appealed to a banking crisis-weary audience of the time ... the reality yokes peaked some 18-20 years ago ... it is time to move on ...

RTE handle sporting events well ... no complaints about their world cup coverage for example ... but quality matches like we saw in the world cup just gone esp the final just have to be shown ... Messi, Mbappe and co do the rest ...

Mrs Brown's Boys happened to be shown at the right time ... people were weary from constant banking crisis/recession programmes a la The Frontline and the Week in Politics ... nothing else but that was on TV at the time back in 2010 .... and in 2011 they all flocked to Mrs Brown as their saviour wrt escapism ...

It was never good ... and people quickly found that out and moved on ... there was Love/Hate, GoT, Breaking Bad, Peaky Blinders, etc. as better escapism ... and Mrs Brown should have ended in 2013 ... instead it has been revived every Christmas since with some other episodes like one's for Paddies' Day one year ... and all Christmas episodes are getting worse and worse every year ... much worse than the 3 series ever were ...

Do not know what Wanderly Wagon is ... but at least it is not Mrs Brown's Boys ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,671 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Interesting also that the other 98 contributors have very anti RTE views. And like all the threads in Radio where anyone goes off the anti RTE message, they try to close down the dissenters. Often by intimidation and conspiracy theories like yours. Very interesting indeed.

That happens so often and yet when I say anything back the moderators and administrators threaten to ban me for it. It’s one rule for the regular contributors and another for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I've lost count of the number of times my employment status at RTE has been brought up in posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Any regarding NK Management, E? That’s another “favourite”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's off the books so I don't like talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭RockOrBog

Fair City.. nothing good RTE have ever done would cancel out that embarrassment.

Tubridy

Mutilated clones of foreign imports, complete with Irish dancing and changing popular songs into Irish.

Football commentators with very strong accents

Weather forecast is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The BBC seems to be full of cookery and antiques type shite lately.

Advertisement