Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ is a disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,595 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Do we really need another RTÉ/Late Late Show/Tubridy thread? The radio and television forums are already chocked full of them.

I, personally, am starting to get worried that I’m going to feel guilty when I hear on the news that a person who has attacked a well known “celebrity” had been ranting, and raving, on online message boards daily, fixating on that celeb, before they committed their crime.

It takes a special breed of person who will listen in, or watch, hours of “content” from a provider and presenter they absolutely despise. It just cannot be healthy. My advice to these people would be to move the dial or change the channel. Wallowing in misery is no way live.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I only watch Sport and occassionally the News on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You could be right there - only people I've met who like it are Dubs. Trash TV and an embarrassment to the country, if it was funny you could take it as comedy but it's mostly puerile toilet humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Well you have access to BBC iPlayer but people south of the border don't, fair is fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It’s not for everyone but you can’t deny that there isn’t an audience for it.

I honestly think that a lot of middle class Irish people in their 30s think RTE should somehow have the resources to show only brand new episodes of Futurama, South Park, and Rick and Morty every single night. Along with repeats of Ryan Tubridy and Leo Varadkar on the guillotine. There are huge swathes of the population who deserve to be catered for as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Rte as a state broadcaster is utterly disgusting. Zero talent, paid astronomical salary, obviously entwined with a political agenda. And forget all of that. Imagine if rte broadcasters had to start again as YouTube broadcaster with zero backing. They'd get 8 views. Rte has to be killed and lit on fire tonight and replaced with shipping forecast. I can't even believe rte exists and rotten old bitches and whatever get paid to talk about nothing. It's completely outrageous and indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That is truly an epic leap to basically suggest that someone on here would physically attack one of the RTE "stars". Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

RTE's output, especially at Christmas is truly woeful. Endless cooking programmes, think I spotted 3 of them between 6pm and 9 one evening recently. Like I know its Christmas, but that's just taking the piss. Reality TV drivel on nearly every night, the worst offender being that fittest family thing. And then to cap it off, it's Mrs Brown on a loop over the entire Xmas schedule. I won't even get into that Eamon and Bridget thing........or any number of other vehicles for RTE non entities stealing a living in Donnybrook.

Apart from the news and the very odd Irish interest documentary, I give the state broadcaster a wide berth. I record anything decent on the British channels and watch them minus ads in my own time. BBC4 and Channel4 often have something of interest. After that, Youtube has taken over for most of my viewing needs. I've got Premium, so no ads and you are watching content of actual interest to you, often with sky high production values.

I don't expect RTE to compete with heavyweight international media giants but outside of sport and current affairs, lets not pretend they are providing a balanced, good quality service either. So much of it is lowest common denominator rubbish, they are starting to resemble TV3 in the early days.

TLDR;

Ryan Tubridy is employed there. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I used to defend RTE but I can't anymore. Even their political shows are completely dumbed down now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But that's not unique to RTE.

On BBC "Strictly Come Dancing" used to be a one night a week show.

But it has evolved into the show on Saturday, the results on Sunday, and a five day a week magazine show Monday to Friday.

I'm sure there are radio tie-ins in the UK also.

Same with all the ITV reality rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Do we really need another of these threads?

Probably not but some folk seem to enjoy them.

Where will it all end? 🙂

Well you send PMs to people trying to intimidate them after they disagree with you over Ryan Tubridy et al, so it certainly wouldn’t surprise me if you “went for” Mr Tubridy if you saw him in the wild.

A public service broadcaster is obliged to create programming for everyone - not just middle-aged dudes who think paying 12.99 for some video game service is great value, but the equivalent amount to fund current affairs, sport, orchestras, radio, archives, independent production is a waste of money.

There will always be shows that one thinks is rubbish - Mrs Browns Boys is dreadful but working class people from Dublin seem to love it. Callan’s Kicks is about as funny as finding a lump on your testicle but obviously people watch and listen to it (assuming people who don’t actually understand satire or humour in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RTE is pure tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RTE1 in particular has just seemed to have given up trying. The same programme's repeated endlessly. I watch the six one occasionally. They can't even provide a full news bulletin during the summer and Christmas, presumably because they have to do holidays. Radio 1 shuts down completely and just plays music, embarrassing.

As I’ve explained to you previously, I’ve been in his company in both personal and professional capacities. He knows me “to see” as the expression goes.

I’ve never been in a physical fight in my entire life and I’ve never struck another person in anger. I wouldn’t be starting at this stage in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

Sh1te programmes on all day the only thing I watch is the weather forecast which 9 times out of 10 is wrong.

the covid agenda put me off the crap for ever

The same [B] routine.[\B] Radio 1 has the Tape reels running. And hoping that the Tape Reels don't break down.

You post literally hundreds of posts a month online about someone you know personally? That is incredibly weird behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Looks like I missed absolutely nothing in televisual terms by being away in sunny Portugal for Christmas with BBC news and popular American sitcoms dubbed into Portuguese as the available material to watch on the hotel TV. 😁

I cannot remember anything worth watching from RTÉ at New Years either. Mind you they did used to show some good films over the Christmas.

BTW - The Rise and Fall of Bosco: Hookers and Coke Was Only The Beginning is at the post-production stage with many of the X-rated scenes getting heavy cuts in order to pass the film censor’s office.

I’ve met him and been in his company lots of times but as I said, I only know him “to see”. We are not friends.

If you find my behaviour (commenting on a public figure) weird that’s your opinion, a lot tamer than some of the things you’ve called me in the past to be fair so well done on that. I’d venture you’re not medically qualified to make such a diagnosis but fire away.

I’d also ask is it any more weird than constantly defending someone you’ve never met or an organization you don’t work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are you in the Algarve? What's the weather like?

You don’t have to be a doctor to say that someone engaging in weird behaviour, though I do happen to think your preoccupation with him is weird and worthy of medical intervention.

Defending RTE from their harshest critics isn’t weird, even if I don’t work for them. Some of the users on this site are unjustly obsessed with Tubridy and his salary, and I have every right to comment on that without fear of being intimidated into silence via PM by the likes of you.

I mean in the last month we have had:

Quinn Country

Two Tribes

The Irish Civil War

Each of them were outstanding documentaries serving the public interest, and just the type of thing that the likes of Virgin wouldn't be bothered making. Gangland Gougers narrated by Paul Williams might be popular, but it's not in the public interest.

Lol, you were so intimidated that you replied to me via PM and posted a comment about it that was deleted almost instantly by the mod. You completely undermined your own claim. You were no more intimidated than Tubs at a NK Management luncheon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭GIMP

Quinn Country

Two Tribes

The Irish Civil War

Have to agree all 3 of these were good, so Rte are not completely useless

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You see that's the problem with RTE,stuck in the past. Dunno if we learned anything new with the Quinn documentary,but the civil war and FF FG rivalry has been dug up and flogged so many times it's time to have them cremated. Wonder how often they get repeated.

There's nothing on RTE to interest the under 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

A great time of the year for first world problems.

• Advertisement

Gangland Gougers narrated by Paul Williams might be popular, but it's not in the public interest.

To a lot of people the “gangland” would be the extent of the interest they have in current affairs.

RTE have such a rich library of documentaries from virtually the creation of the Irish state. It’s nowhere near the BBC, obviously, but RTE have been a net benefit for Ireland for sure. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Advertisement