Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Irish be made optional at schools.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Apologies for misunderstanding. I think you are basically understanding my point insofar as I think the state has put 100 years of effort into the regeneration of the language. I think it is worthwhile if I am honest, but I am skeptical about how it is being shoved down our throats so to speak. The reality is that it probably never was that much in circulation, particularly in the east coast. My sentiment can be frustrating for many, but the numbers sitting the language at honours level or taking it at 3rd are not up to much. I have no problem with the teaching of it, if a more practical approach, or even dynamic approach, was taken about getting the language off its' arse? But the reality is that unless you spoke it at home, have an aptitude for learning foreign languages, or ,you are currently immersing yourself in a state funded Gaeltacht, you are destined to spending 5 hours a week for 14 years wondering what the phuck is going on? A lot of people reading this will know exactly what I mean by that. Thigim?

I meant what I said, my Irish has improved dramatically since criochnaigh me air scoil. But that's from the Radio, Tv or Public Transport notices or a rather boring interest I developed in place names. Either way I am not convinced that it was once this great big factor of Irish identity that keeps getting churned out? In many ways it has just developed into a glorified handout for anyone living west of the Shannon who can string a few focal along for 5 minutes. I have been on the piss in Baile an Feirtigh, I have played locked in frog jumping at 3 in the morning, no one ever says tabhair dom bheirt pint mo sé do thoille é, in their phuck they do. I have sat in a to be not named pub in Geesala and watched Eastenders, in total silence. I was told to hush at one point.

Ironically we should be seeing the fruits of the state's labour in making sure everyone has the few focal, but outside of political procession or saying slan or go han a mhaith, no one outside of Gaeliscoil utters a word of it, that's the truth of it. My point is that I don't reckon as a state there was any more people speaking it 1000 years ago either. If they were, it certainly couldn't have sounded like the stuff dreamt up in 1893. It's manufactured and forced on everyone, I can deal with that to be honest , it makes it easier to swallow the 14 years sat staring at my muinteoir answering níl is agam or is liomsa é like I had a clue what the phuck was going on.

At least we could be honest about it's past, it might allow it have a future. Even Barack Obama was on it, that absolute chancer. Yes we can, if he only knew the millions of people he patronised and embarrassed in 3 simple words. I always thought feidir meant prefer, I always mix it up with is fearr liom or leat. I was almost fit to leave the country in shame and never come home. But the truth of it is that I spent 14yrs x 36 weeks x 6 hours = 3024 hours learning the chunt of a thing and learnt very very little.

I might finally add that it's failure to enamour the learning receptacles of over 90% of the country has led to an unfortunate form of snobbery displayed by the lucky percentile who have high IQ's and an aptitude for languages. There prize is to sit around smugly chatting to each other and then wonder why everyone seems intimidated by them. Show offs basically, worse than the deft pallets of a fancy looking weather girl from Letterfrack.

Any gaelgoir I ever gave an orgasm to never once shouted " oh brostaigh count " " oh a dia is fearr" " go mall " my bollicks they did. so they are either lying about their orgasm, or forgetting to lie about it properly or maybe no one is having sex in irish anymore? What is the Irish word for riding anyways ? Can anyone tell me because they certainly never told me in school?

Slan líbh, agus go ndeiri an bothar libh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

While that's a great point re exemptions, there are quite a few kids in primary school which have to learn Irish. They don't get exempted.

In relation to the exemptions there's actually quite a number of Irish kids also exempted (those with dsylexia, autism, other learning difficulties etc). So much so that it's something like 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It was all the one sentence, and what I meant by it is that children would have equal rights as their parents in their determination of how they wish to be educated. The idea of the Irish language being a mandatory subject in Irish schools is a completely separate argument to that.

The reason I think making the Irish language an optional subject in Irish schools is a bad idea is because it relieves the State of its obligation to promote the Irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Promotion by compulsion isnt really promotion though.

GAA sports arent compulsory in schools, are state supported and unlike Irish, in rude good health. Likewise, irish dance and traditional music.

Anyone can opt in if they want to. Leave people who choose to do these things the space and funding to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Ag bonail

• Advertisement

It is though, and that’s notwithstanding the fact that their parents or guardians may apply for an exemption -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/compulsory-irish-rule-overhauled-in-schools-38394544.html

Activities like GAA and Irish dancing, traditional music and art aren’t really comparable to the teaching of the Irish language, and because they’re optional or considered extracurricular activities, the State doesn’t provide funding for them in schools (from memory, there used to be grants available to schools, but they’ve dried up in the last few years), which means that parents or guardians who want their children to participate in these activities, or schools which wish to provide these activities in their schools, have to cover the additional costs themselves.

EDIT: Now I’m reminded of it, it used drive me bananas to see teachers paying for art supplies for the children out of their own pockets!

Activities like GAA and Irish dancing, traditional music and art aren’t really comparable to the teaching of the Irish language...

Because they're fun, and learning a language isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The idea of the Irish language being a mandatory subject in Irish schools is a completely separate argument to that.

Eh... no it's not? I'm arguing that students should pick their own subjects rather them assigned and you're telling me that having them assigned is "a completely seperate argument"...?

Again: give me a good reason as to why letting the student choose the subjects they study is a bad idea?

I'd also argue that the government is already massively failing in it's constitutional obligation WITH mandatory Irish. Look around you - the return in terms of everyday useage of Irish is absolutely abysmal.

But it also depends on what the priority is: the language or the student?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Learning a language can be fun, to be fair - but probably not when you're forced to learn a language you neither like nor need.

’Tis a fair point 😂

Honestly though just the reason it made me laugh is because it’s entirely relatable. Languages in school, education in general really was an absolute hoor for me being dyslexic, I was much more capable when it came to activities like sports, didn’t help that I’d a gammy hip, but I enjoyed it and excelled in sports. Hurling, rugby and swimming were the sports I was interested in.

But, I knew I still had to learn languages, and the importance of learning languages in order to be able to communicate better -

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/98001802#Comment_98001802

It wasn’t fun, but it was necessary, and the way I learned languages is the way they should be taught in schools - immersively, and I don’t mean the turgid shyte that’s the Irish curriculum, I mean learning Irish as a living language, rather than trying to sex it up and make it ‘contemporary’ and ‘cool for kids’, when we have a rich Irish history of culture and heritage to draw inspiration from already.

• Advertisement

I’m not telling you that having them assigned is a separate argument, I’m making the point that students don’t have a choice when it comes to learning the Irish language as a subject, because it’s a core subject, like mathematics and English. At Leaving Certificate level, schools don’t have the resources to be able to offer students a choice of whatever subjects they wish to study. Their options are again limited.

I already gave you the reason why I think making Irish an optional subject in Irish schools is a bad idea, now you’re asking me an entirely different question as to why letting students pick their own subjects is a bad idea, having previously made the point that it’s not a completely separate argument. Clearly, it is.

I’d agree with you that the Government is already massively failing in it’s constitutional obligation to promote the Irish language, and to that end I would suggest they should be doing so much more, not less, and certainly not demoting the status of the Irish language to an optional subject in Irish schools.

There’s no conflict in priorities between using schools to promote the Irish language by making it a mandatory subject in Irish schools, and students in Irish schools. It’s for their benefit! Making it optional wouldn’t change the fact that it’s taught badly which is the reason why students often have difficulty with it, not because it’s not an interesting language, but because all too often the teachers themselves have no passion for it and little patience with students who have difficulty with it. Teachers are already struggling with an overloaded curriculum and a whole plethora of other issues which indicate that the priority for Government isn’t the Irish language, but it’s to give children a basic or rudimentary education at as little cost to the State as possible.

You're making excuses now: "because schools don't have te resources to be able to offer students a choice of whatever subjects they wish to study"? Seriously? Every secondary school in the country offers some range of choice. So calling bullshit on that one.

My question was ALWAYS why can't student choose their own subjects. Why we're talking specifically Irish is because of the thread title.

It most certainly is NOT for the benefit of the student. It's not even for the benefit of the lanaguge. It's for the benefit of the status of the language. What we have here is a system that fails both, and you see it as something that needs to continue. I can not get my head around that.

I don’t need to make excuses for anything? It’s a core subject of the Irish curriculum, it isn’t a subject that students are given a choice to study. It’s not unreasonable to conclude from your argument that, well, you’re arguing that students should have a choice in what subjects they wish to study, and somehow you expect that this should be provided for them by the school regardless of what resources are or aren’t available. All I can think is “Good luck with that 👍”, because it’s not an idea that’s even worth entertaining.

And does this really sound to you like a situation I wish to continue?

Making it optional wouldn’t change the fact that it’s taught badly which is the reason why students often have difficulty with it, not because it’s not an interesting language, but because all too often the teachers themselves have no passion for it and little patience with students who have difficulty with it. Teachers are already struggling with an overloaded curriculum and a whole plethora of other issues which indicate that the priority for Government isn’t the Irish language, but it’s to give children a basic or rudimentary education at as little cost to the State as possible.

I understand it’s entirely possible I phrased it badly which would lead you to conclude that it’s reasonable to assume I’m arguing that the current situation should continue. I wasn’t.

It's an excuse. You know what I meant and you know there is choice avaiable.

you’re arguing that students should have a choice in what subjects they wish to study,

Correct

and somehow you expect that this should be provided for them by the school regardless of what resources are or aren’t available.

Incorrect and entirely fabricated by you. Where did I ever write anything even close to "regardless of what resources are or aren't available"...? Nowhere. Blatant assumption strawman aruemnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Sé/Sí

Sinn/Sibh

Siad.

IMO the above is everything wrong with how is Irish taught in schools.

To this day 14 years after doing the LC I could get by with a few basic phrases in Spanish. But hold a conversation in Irish? Not a chance. But rattling off the above, no problem.

Pretty sure a good chunk of people could read written Irish aloud with decent pronunciation, but have absolutely no idea what they're saying.

Making it optional, I don't know. Personally I think so as I hated studying it. But nobody is taught how to speak Irish, just pass an exam.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

What are you referring to is an excuse? I don’t need an excuse, neither does the Minister for Education to make the Irish language a compulsory subject in Irish schools. Irish schools don’t even have the resources to cover students who do not wish to attend subjects which aren’t mandatory, where do you imagine they’re going to get the resources to cover students who do not wish to participate in Irish classes? I do know exactly what you meant, and I’m making the point that your argument just doesn’t even get out of the starting blocks, for numerous reasons, which is why I said it’s not even worth entertaining, but good luck to you with it all the same.

Of course it was entirely fabricated by me because it’s the logical conclusion of your argument. The resources for what you’re suggesting just aren’t there. That was a hell of a lot more reasonable conclusion than your suggestion that I wanted the current situation to continue! I get the distinct impression you’re not interested in arguing in good faith any more. To be honest I’m not even sure you were in the first place with your absurd suggestion that the Irish Constitution is irrelevant, but I chose to give you the benefit of the doubt rather than dismiss your idea as being just about as ill-conceived as Aodhán’s effort to pretend he’d no knowledge of Irish law in relation to the Irish language and the teaching of it as a mandatory subject in Irish schools even though he is a former teacher and principal himself -

Ó Ríordáin is a former teacher, and was principal of St. Laurence O'Toole's Girls' Primary School.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aodhán_Ó_R%C3%ADordáin

The averae student takes seven subjects fo r heir leaving. If a school offers eight subjects, then the student has choice or someone is pickjing the subjects, And I'm pretty sure the vast majority of schools offer at least eight.

No, it';s not a logical conclusion. The logical conclusion would be that I'm in favour of offering choices within the range available.

So we're back to square one: give me one reason why letting the student choose their subjects from the range available is a bad idea. Without te strawman, this time please.

Not biting on the Irish constitution one because I've explained clearly what I mean, have you misinterpret it, explained a second time, had you misinterpret it a second time, explain a third time and then you dropped the subject only to have you're first interpretation reappear again. Not debating it.

Without the strawman you say, in a thread which is specifically concerned with the Irish language being a mandatory subject in Irish schools which means it’s not among the range of subjects available as a choice.

Sure, I’ll get right on that… 😒

It is though..

It is in its eye. It's indoctrination and an indoctrination that has failed and failed spectacularly over nearly a century.

Sorry ,this is a bit confusing: the thread is about Irish being a mandatory subject.... so the problen now is that it's not available as a choice....?

• Advertisement

It’s not indoctrination as the Irish language isn’t a belief system. You’d have a better argument that the Irish education system itself constitutes indoctrination as it promotes an education in the Liberal Arts in accordance with the system of education Ireland inherited from the British. The intent of the Stanley letter was clear that Irish education would be provided without any adherence to any particular religious denomination. That didn’t quite go as planned -

In line with the letter's suggestions, a Board of Commission of National Education was established which disbursed funds for school building and the hiring of teachers and inspectors and which provided grants for schools. The Board tried to mix Catholic and Protestant students by favouring applications for 'mixed' schools. However, in the years after the 1830s, different religious denominations begin to apply separately for control of schools. Even in 2010 approximately 1 percent of Irish schools (34 out of 3,279) are not under the control of a religious organization, with the remaining 99 percent under religious control.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_letter

If that’s how you quantify failure, I’d love to know how you quantify success! 😳

(that’s even before any discussion of the influence of religion in Irish society among organisations such as the GAA, Scouts, etc, every facet of Irish society, even in the national media the local priest is still approached for comment on a tragedy within the community)

The Dept of Education is also proving to be incredibly resistant to patrons other than the old reliables being given patronage of new schools, and that’s notwithstanding the recent agreement between the Church and State to pay rent to the Church for the use of Church property -

https://www.teachdontpreach.ie/2022/03/state-rent-school-buildings/

I would suggest that had successive Irish Governments put anything like as much effort into promoting the Irish language as the Church has done in promoting religion, there would be far greater interest in, and use of the Irish language today on comparable levels with other countries use of their own language whether it be French, German, Spanish, Italian, etc. Instead of promoting the Irish language, successive Governments appeared to be more interested in ensuring it’s rapid demise. I’ve no explanation for their abysmal failure to maintain the Irish language other than the fact we’re a pissant little country on the periphery of Europe where Irish just has no utility whatsoever as a business language.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You said it yourself. 2% (being VERY generous I suspect) of the population speaking it daily means it is already irrelevant. There are plenty of other languages in greater use in this country but we don't make them mandatory - or in most cases even teach them in schools at all. The "importance of the Irish language to Ireland as a nation" is reflected in the tiny percentage of people who can actually be bothered to use it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Load of nonsense. The constitution doesn't even mention secondary education at all. For most of the 20th century the Irish state didn't even provide free secondary education. There is no constitutional imperative to provide secondary level instruction in any subject whether that be Irish or anything else.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Maybe it's not the government's fault, it's the people's fault for not being arsed. You can bring a horse to water etc.

You can't force people to do things if they don't want to, no matter how "worthy" you think they are or if they are in the constitution of this country. Most people don't know what's in the constitution and couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

The worst part of my day, every weekday, for 12 plus years was Irish class.

The only reason I can think of for not making it optional is that I want the youth of today to suffer like I did.

That's actually the most rational reason I've heard and I've been in this debate a while now..

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Of course, it is really about employment and money for those fluent in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭ax530

The teaching of Irish at school is aimed at developing more teachers to teach using Irish not for use in day to day life. Also a way of excluding other from the teaching jobs.

Then endless money is available for 'use of Irish' makes it look like Irish is used more than it is.

I said what myself exactly? Because I know I didn’t say that that the Irish language is irrelevant based upon the tiny number of Irish speakers there are, nor did I compare it to the prevalence of other languages to argue that it should be an optional subject as opposed to it’s current status as a compulsory subject. The reason we make Irish mandatory and we don’t make other more commonly spoken languages mandatory should be obvious. Apart from English which is also recognised as our national language an official language and is mandatory in Irish schools, other languages are not recognised as our national language.

The importance of the Irish language isn’t just reflected in the number of people who speak it, it’s reflected in the number of people who consider the Irish language as important to them. In a survey done in 2018, the majority of students asked wished to maintain the status of the Irish language as compulsory at both primary and secondary level education, while at the same time they were critical of the way the Irish language is taught in Irish schools -

Asked whether Irish should remain compulsory in both primary and secondary school, 67 per cent of those surveyed said it should be a compulsory subject in both. Just over a quarter (26 per cent) felt it should be compulsory up to the Junior Certificate while 7 per cent felt Irish should be optional throughout.

Of those who attended English-medium schools, 63 per cent said Irish should be a compulsory throughout, 29 per cent said it should be compulsory up until Junior Certificate level while 8 per cent said it shouldn’t be compulsory at any stage.

This compared to eighty per cent of respondents who attended Irish-medium schools outside of the Gaeltacht who felt Irish should be compulsory, 16 per cent who felt it should be optional after the Junior Certificate and 4 per cent that indicated it should be optional throughout.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/report-reveals-student-support-for-compulsory-irish-1.4510604

None of that addresses anything in the post you quoted? I’ve read both my post and yours a couple of times now and I’m not seeing how they’re related or what point in the post you quoted that you’re actually referring to or addressing.

It’s entirely Governments fault. It is the State which has the responsibility to promote Irish culture, heritage and the Irish language, and they’ve done a piss poor job of it up to now. Making the Irish language optional in Irish schools is not going to address the issue that the Irish Government have failed miserably to promote the Irish language, culture and heritage. There are far more people outside of Ireland are familiar with Irish culture, heritage and the Irish language than there are people in Ireland who can say the same. It’s not limited solely to Irish emigrants and their descendants either, so it’s certainly not that people aren’t arsed, they’re just not arsed with the way the Irish language is taught in Irish schools.

Making the Irish language optional does nothing to address that, and because I just can’t see Government, or the DES or the NCCA demoting the status of the Irish language to an optional subject any time soon, the least they could do to promote the language is reform how it is taught in Irish schools, because outside of Irish schools is where it appears to generate the most interest, even among immigrants to Ireland who wish either to learn the Irish language themselves, or they wish for their children to learn it and be able to use it.

It’s not a matter that people don’t want to learn the Irish language, it’s that they have issues with the way the Irish language is taught in Irish schools. It’s taught badly, and the way it’s taught in accordance with the Irish curriculum is basically like trying to teach Latin or Arabic in a modern classroom - learners can’t relate to it as it’s not anchored to anything, it’s simply learning by rote with the aim of passing an exam in the subject, as opposed to anchoring it to Irish heritage and culture and teaching it as a living language which learners can relate to. I didn’t learn languages very well in school either, apart from French, and that had everything to do with the fact that my teacher was a native speaker (she was an Irish national, also a native language speaker), who didn’t limit herself to the curriculum or focussing on just what might come up in the exams, she had us completely immerse ourselves in French culture, literature, history, heritage in the French language. Irish was, well, I think we’re all familiar with how Irish is taught, which explains why many people couldn’t wait to see the back of it and would rather it was optional so they didn’t have to suffer through it unnecessarily!

It’s similar to the way in which the DES were crying out for male teachers long before there was ever an overall teacher shortage, and even my mother tried to convince me to take up teaching - while I’m passionate about education, I have no interest in becoming a teacher in an Irish school because it’s not long before any enthusiasm or passion for education is sucked out of them given the overwhelming amount of work and politics involved that is completely independent of any passion for education, not to mention the pay and conditions are just shyte! Becoming a teacher in Ireland is not the kind of career choice for anyone who is actually passionate about education, that’s for certain.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Advertisement

100%

Mean spirited Irish adults: "I suffered through it pointlessly, so those after me should as well"

Advertisement