Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I had a dose of something recently, it wasn't covid because I tested myself twice.

And why did I test myself twice? Because if it was covid, I got a week off work, no questions asked.

Unfortunately (with regards to time off work), it wasn't covid so after two days I was back in the office because I wasn't going to pay a doctor for a cert for the third day off.

And even though I was hacking up a lung, no one cared once I told them I tested negative for covid twice. I could have lied and said I had covid, but I don't need to be caught out on a lie and get fired just at the start of a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I’m going to be honest during the original lockdowns I was staunch mask, staunch isolation and followed everything I was supposed to. When things stopped being mandatory like masks etc I stopped voluntary use except for a few times when the plane demanded I wear one etc.

saying that I’m fully vaccinated and fully up to date with booster. Got I think my last booster a couple of weeks ago as I have epilepsy and that apparently falls under the expedited exemption. Anyway I agree with your point about testing, now in the last month I personally know about 10 people who have got COVID. Most recently 4 were not able to attend my god daughters christening as they had got covid the day of it. I was like why test yourself to stop doing something. Especially when there is no mandatory 7 day isolation etc,

bur Also saying that I bought 2 tests weeks ago as somebody asked me to but then never picked them up and I had them in the house, my mother got really Ill very quickly with shivers cough etc so I tested her in case we had to go to hospital. Luckily it was negative,

so I disagree with you saying no one is getting it. They are and knocks them out for a week but the testing is irrelevant. If you are not knocked out then then you should be able to go on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Back in October of 2020 I stated that any rushed vaccines would at best be 30% effective at stopping or spreading infection.

I would like to now apologize. I did not mean to get everyone’s hopes up like that. Time has shown that they are significantly more inadequate.

Happy Christmas 🎄

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No it hasn't. You are misrepresenting a study which showed 30% versus Omicron infection as somehow applying to vaccination for all variants, including original and delta variants.

Your statement is false and without foundation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They always had that problem! The highest chance of getting Covid was in a hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Wu Flu deja vous with fresh hysteria.

Bizarre to target Chinese only, almost seems racist as that was what Trump tried to do a few years ago and was called out as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's not bizarre. They had a unique zero Covid policy. They've only just removed that (due to those protests), AND have only just removed travel restrictions, which means a whole lot of Chinese are rushing to go to other countries, and a lot of them have Covid (they haven't had so much exposure and thus herd immunity as we've had). Not a good combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

How does that affect the US though? Covid is already rampant in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

So let me get this right… Italy and the USA want a negative covid test if your travelling from China to enter their countries… but if you’ve the flu RSV etc work away………….

the mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah that's just nonsense really. Theres zero countries that have herd immunity if you look at the numbers.

• Advertisement

We aren't talking about a couple of cases here, on one flight into Italy, 52% of the Chinese passengers were Covid positive

Japan, India and now the US have all announced measures for travellers from China. A key concern is the variants that could be coming over.

Still seems a bit pointless when covid is rampant all over the world. If there is one thing we have learned it is not possible to stop covid variants quickly spreading throughout the world.

It simply means a significant portion of the pop. have had immunity (resistance to the virus) via normal exposure to Covid and/or being vaccinated

China is different. It's had this bizarre closed ecosystem, which has suddenly opened up, it represents a fifth of the human population, hence the intl concern about the variants that this wave of Chinese travellers might bring.

They aren't arriving in cars, it's on planes, so asking for negative tests beforehand is not complex and can dramatically reduce the positives. The concern I've read is more about the variants, China is not exactly the most open country about it

Again this is not about "stopping", that's not possible. It's about reducing.

If you can sign a simply policy that gets you planes with 1% positives rather than 50% positives, you'll take the former.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I was not a fan of mass testing of travellers last time round.Didn't see the point.

Now I think it would be worth it for people originating from, resident, or visiting from China.Everywhere else has this as under control as it can be, yet China went off down it's own path before realising that doesn't work.Now they have reopened suddenly, with zero preparation, and are foisting various forms of this blasted virus on the world AGAIN.Is once not enough?

(Sorry.This is not politically correct.But how have they not realised yet that their actions can have a huge impact on everyone else in the world.Their Government are so obsessed with themselves, it's ridiculous.)

It doesn’t work though. One person getting through with a variant is enough to infect a whole country. A policy that is simple but doesn’t work should not be used. Let’s be honest here, it’s a political move against China, nothing more.

It's not about stopping. It's about controlling and reducing.

It's not about politics, it's about caution, which is why other countries are also implementing measures like Japan/India, I reckon more countries with high volumes of incoming Chinese will also follow suit.

Again, this is a unique situation because what's happening in China is unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We've already learned that this stuff doesn't work.

It’s a highly infectious virus. It’s not possible to control and reduce outside of a level five lockdown. As I said it only takes one infected person getting through. Reducing the numbers getting through has no impact. The last few years have proven that.

Okay, why is India requiring travellers from 5 Asian countries produce a negative result before entering India? Is there something you know that they don't?

• Advertisement

It’s impossible for country the size of India to keep a new variant out. Even PCR testing is not reliable enough for that purpose. This has been conclusively proven over the last couple of years. Therefore, such policies cannot be for keeping covid or variants out.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Test for COVID and you'll probably find it. It's just nonsense at this stage. I've seen much worse illnesses the last few months than COVID caused in two years; children getting bad doses of flu lasting a week and horrendous vomiting bugs.

The COVID hysterics are now agreeing with Trump if they agree with measures against China, full circle loopers!

Irish hospitals are starting to seriously struggle with Covid AND flu (and Strep A and other cases) at the moment. If cases over here rise significantly we may need to take some measures again, just to preserve hospital capacity over the season.

There are countries out there, e.g. India, who don't want 10's of thousands of Asian Covid positive cases pouring into the country, so they've simply reenacted travel measures. Show a negative test before coming over (most countries had this previously). Is there something you know that the Indian health authorities and experts don't?

It's not to keep it out. The aim is to avoid any unnecessary surge. It's about reducing. Indian hospitals currently only have a few thousand Covid cases in a country with 1.4 bn people. They don't want 10's of thousands of Covid positive Asians suddenly arriving in the country if they can avoid it.

If cases over here rise significantly we may need to take some measures again

You mean you want to buy them even more time to fix their problems?

No one gave two fiddlers about people on trolleys or overcrowding before covid, but now that they've had a taste of restrictions, they're loving it and feel like social justice warriors when they issue the call to arms, or in this case, lock them down.

Introduce measures here, a few restrictions there... At the fist sign of trouble the twitchers reach for the lockdowns, restrictions and masks, yet when anyone pushes back against that attitude they're labelled anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists or both.

Every country in the world did, still is, or are starting to clutch at straws again... it's all just so they can be seen to do something. It's about time we lived with covid properly and just let it fade into the background, and stop dredging the "take measures" argument up every time the HSE creaks a bit more than normal.

Post edited by DLink on

Cool. The hospitals are under pressure presently. Maybe that will ease up. Maybe it won't. If it doesn't and if flu/covid cases keep rising and putting even more pressure on them, then they may ask for some measures to curb the numbers (e.g. more mask wearing)

It's nothing to do with politics, the past, there's no "gotcha's". It's simple, basic science.

Are the hospitals under pressure? The official numbers show 38 in ICU in the entire country. Was around 100 this time last year and they weren't overwhelmed either. We also don't know what percentage are actually in ICU solely because of COVID, probably around half.

Maybe they just have to accept that it will be a little busy during winter...

As our Taoiseach said, they've never had a bigger budget so deal with it.

We have the right level of restrictions right now - zero.

Let them deal with the hospitals as they always did... ignore the problem except for a few sound bytes on RTE.

Don't go running for restrictions on the entire population just to cover for government & HSE ineptitude again and again and again.

People need to ditch the "introduce restrictions" and "take measures" mindset.

You can't squeeze the population for tax money to fund the service, and when that's not enough, hang the spectre of restrictions over their heads.

That's like having your cake and eating it, yet is still probably won't be enough.

Perhaps the news of the high cases and advice to take precautions will cause people to be more careful and the spread will slow, but indeed if it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like a temp mask mandate or some variant of it introduced.

Who knows, we'll see. It's up to the hospitals/health authorities to make that call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How many people aged 18 to 49 with no underlying health issues are in hospital with COVID?

I see they are opening up boosters to this group...

Advertisement