Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the biggest “what ifs” in Irish sports?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭cnoc

What if Ciarán Carey had not scored that point against Clare in 1996.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭hynesie08

We had a core group of lads playing high level league football on a weekly basis, I never thought we'd win the cup, but if we'd gotten past Spain, South Korea were there for the taking. Don't think Germany would have slipped up twice against us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And if Greg Lemond hadn't gone turkey hunting, Stephen Roche might never have won his Tour de France. Lemond was I think clearly superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭billyhead

As a Man Utd supporter what if the Munich air disaster never happened. We would probably have won 3 more European cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think most were premiership players unlike today. Given, Duff, RKeane, Quinn played well. Holland had an excellent tournament and Kilbane would never let you down. The defenders weren't world class but they didn't concede many goals. Finnan and Cunningham were solid.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,685 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

South Korea were not there for the taking.

It's very clear there was a conspiracy to get them to the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What if Eoin Morgan had decided to remain playing for Ireland…. ?

What if Ed Joyce had decided to remain playing for Ireland… ? yes he returned to the fold but only after years in the wilderness just playing club cricket and the odd England game….

both of those players in their absolute prime playing for Ireland and for all the humongous and credible strides the Irish team and Irish cricket have made over the last 15 years, I’m thinking their availability would have shot us further up the competitive ladder of international cricket…

And to a lesser extent… Boyd Rankin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭griffin100

I agree if GLM had ridden it would have been a different race, but given Roches ‘form’ that year he was well ahead of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Panrich

I remember Jack O'Connor standing up at the dinner after the 2006 final and saying something similar to this point here. He framed it in the same way as well, saying that Kerrys hunger after a two year drought was more that Mayos after fifty five years.

The truth, if O'Conner was not being disingenuous, was that Kerrys burden of a two year drought was a much lighter load to carry. It was not hunger but weight that counted and has counted several times since. The longer it goes on, the bigger the weight of history.

I have always contended that when Mayo do finally win another AI, it will be as a result of falling across the line, no matter if they had 15 Clifford level players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Completely agree about Mayo. My original post was very much tongue in cheek about the curse.

Orourkeda1's assertion that Mayo have lost lost so many finals because the public in the county don't accept their shortcomings couldn't be further from the truth. These are the same 'supporters' who abused Ciaran McDonald for years.

Being from Mayo I think we too often don't believe we're good enough and this feeds into the players. We don't have that enate belief going into finals that we'll win in the way that Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone and even Galway have. Instead Mayo has an inferiority complex that I don't know is the cause or the result of not being able to win an All-Ireland after appearing in 13 finals since 1989.

The serious 'what if' regarding Mayo football isn't the curse but what if that freak bounce over the bar to level the 1996 final for Meath hadn't gone over and brought the game to a replay. If Mayo had won that final I firmly believe they would have won at least 2 more in the time that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

What if the Chinese who came from nowhere to beat Sonia O'Sullivan had either not been on performance enhancing drugs (PEDS), or were tested properly?

Ditto Zabo who beat her in an Olympic final. And was subsequently caught at a border with a boot full of banned drugs~ a year later.

Ditto Gary O'Toole's competitors in an Olympic final. He came 4th, the 3 medalists who came in just ahead of him all got caught for using PEDs in the following years.....

IF Stephen Jones landed the last penalty for Wales versus Ireland for the grand slam in 2009!? Ireland wouldn't have finally won this one after winning their only previous one in 1948!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

To Mayo GAA fans, sometimes a hex is just a hex. The hoodoo still remains.

But Aidan O'Shea's return of 2 All Ireland points in 5 hours of All Ireland finals needs some serious scrutiny, how did he manage that? Has to be one of the worst records of one of footballs' greatest players.

A curse is a curse is a curse, to be sure to be sure is a curse to be sure to a curse is a curse is to a curse. To be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mayo have been in 8 of the last 20 All Ireland Finals. 40%

Tyrone, Donegal, Kerry and Dublin have beaten them.

a curse, unfair Dublin boooo, referee, the hoodooo, the voodooo, the booodooo ? and whatever other hokey they can come up with…

just.. not.. good.. enough..

whenever Mayo do win, I believe it’s because of their unfair spirituality advantage….of having both Knock AND Croagh Patrick in their county, that’s as ridiculous as the hokey they pedal.

They have contested 40% of the last 20 finals and they haven’t managed to convert a single opportunity into victory, despite on several occasions having benefited from some outright endemically poor refereeing performances that aided their cause.

players, management have to look at themselves for ‘what if’…maybe ‘what if’ in certain finals they’d have tried to play football instead of going out loosing the head WWE style and with slack refereeing, still lost 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That Macedonia result and all other shìte in that group. I think that team playing a tournament that summer may have set them up for 2002 with more experience regardless of Saipan.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Tommy Byrne (racing driver), if he wasn't such a piss head would he had got a full time drive with Mclaren after testing their car and setting the fastest time of the day on his first ever time in a F1 car. Did Ron Dennis just see all the problems down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Grueller

What if Packie Bonner wasn't absolute shite?

Ireland, with (excepting Bonner) comfortably their best ever team and squad, were heading to Euro '92 before Packie completely fcuked up a 3-1 lead.

Denmark won the thing with a far worse set of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It’s amazing how no one has ever asked why he is celebrated when the truth is that he was a poor keeper

• Advertisement

yes there are obviously other obvious egregious examples as well as that one such as putting the ball on a plate for Schillaci from a soft shot in 1990 or letting the ball slip through his hands etc vs the Dutch in 1994 (in fairness Ireland were no match for the Dutch on the day) but somehow a single peno save and he's a ledge

but that 1991 game against Poland was particularly bad considering how relatively good Ireland were then compared to all European team opposition with the Euro's looming.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I totally get the 'what ifs' concerning qualification for 1992 and 2000, but in truth we probably had a big slice of luck in qualifying for WC 94. We could easily have lost that infamous night in Belfast and needed Spain to beat Denmark at the same time - and they played much of that game with ten men after their keeper was sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Are you sure about Gary O'Toole, I don't even recall him making a B final nevermind coming 4th in the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

What if shefflin missed that penalty in the 2009 all Ireland hurling final. Or if Benny Dunne didn’t get sent off

Ireland weren't that great by WC 94

The victory against Italy notwithstanding they were never going to do much there and even with Bonner being muck vs the Dutch were not a serious match for them on the day

Building up to the Euro's in 92 tho Ireland were very strong, dismantling England at Wembley yet somehow managing to only draw

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭purpleshoe

Agree on Tommy Byrne comments, reckon despite his clear ability Dennis just saw a bag of problems on and off the track with him. Based on his book and documentary I can understand why it didn’t go anywhere. As he said himself in the documentary he couldn’t have anyone telling him what to do.

Mclaren didn’t miss the opportunity here, they just found an alternative solution for their goals. The 80s were hugely successful for them.

A real shame, without a doubt he was insanely quick at his peak. Determined as hell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

As a young teen, and a huge fan of our Irish soccer team, I had utter hatred for Raúl Fernandes Nazaré because of those refereeing decisions. The game was far more attractive to watch back then too!

Great idea for a thread OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

One of footballs greatest players lol… lay off the Xmas booze . I don’t even think he has 2 points I thought I read somewhere he has never scored in an all Ireland final . He has played in something like 7 of them That alone would tell ya he’s nowhere near the top list of players even in mayo not to mind Ireland … wouldn’t lace a boot of a Keegan or Ciaran mc Donald or even Andy Moran .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, 1982 should have been our first time at a tournament, not 1988. That Irish side was at least as good as the Northern Ireland team which beat the hosts Spain in the group stages.

• Advertisement

What if Ryan ODwyer wasn't send off against Cork in the AI semi in 2013. Would Dublin have gone on to win the AI?

Advertisement