Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early start to Christmas festivities in Rathkeale (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭pauly58

A on a lighter note :

St. Peter was stood by the Pearly Gates when he looked up & saw a group of about fifteen Traveller's coming towards them. "What are we going to do " an Angel next to him gasped, " I'll have to go & ask Jesus " St. Peter replied.

He found Jesus & told him what was happening & what did he want him to do. Jesus thought for a moment & replied " Our religion teaches forgiveness & love your fellow man, so we had better let them in "

" Alright, on your head be it " St. Peter said & off he went. He was back in a few minutes, " They're gone " he said, "What, the Travellers ?" said Jesus, " No" replied St. Peter, " The Gates !!"

Happy Christmas gents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Also don't forget the fact that every political commentator, probably every other politician, every political party, every media outlet were labelling him a racist and bigot.

Ah seriously I can't believe you got them to paint a shed for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Kalimah

And God forbid you leave a packet of chewing gum in the bottom of your trolley that you forgot to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you mean some mistreat some.

sure, they do but it's no different to a minority of any other group who misbehave.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

People dont need to be told how to feel about travellers by some do gooders who think they are above others or somehow morally superior because they are either too thick to realise travellers dont give 2 fcks about them or lucky enough to never have encountered many.

People despise travellers for all the reasons already stated in this thread , theft, animal cruelty, child neglect, grabbing(basically acceptable sexual assault), total disregard for the law or being part of society. Probably worst of all is the gangs of them that prey on elderly people in isolated rural areas. All these things are facts and anyone that denies them is delusional or living up their own hole in some affluent part of the country where the issues that blight many communities arent prevelant.

People dont like travellers because of their experiences with them , no other reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How many arrests and how many cars siezed the other day?

All English regs too.

Grand though, different laws for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I there's a row at a church during a funeral or in the cemetery then it's a given that it's Travellers. If the shops in a town have to close because there's a wedding, funeral or baptism taking place then it's Travellers again. I have only seen one row in an airport and guess who it was again??? Blocking roads while sulky racing, guess who?

so call the gards then.

no point in complaining to me there isn't anything i can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I thought you might have the usual excuse for them, like they're downtrodden or misunderstood or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

yep, that's about right 😓

as long as it aint happening where the 'people what matter' , count, then nothing will ever happen 😒

"that's just the way things are now" , like Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank

but make sure to tick the "Settled Irish" box like good citizens, the next time the census rolls around 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Do we know who was responsible for the trouble in Rathkeale? Would it be known as a rough spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Balanced post. A rare thing.

I think the only solution is full economic integration but I cannot see it happening. It's the same solution for many social problems really. Problem is that traveller parents do not encourage education and it's difficult for travellers to get decent full time jobs due to legitimate trust issues. Rinse and repeat.

I remember the satirical RTE radio show Scrap Saturday often did a piece on "Rathkeale, the Mecca of the West" with Dermot Morgan. Very funny, must have been the late 1990s.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

A reminder that it's not a great idea to tar the entirety of any group with the one brush. That's coming from a person who has only ever had 1 positive experience with travellers. The rest, horribly bad, it's still not all of them though.

There are Travelers and a halting site in Maynooth. Never an ounce of trouble to be honest.

Yes the traveling community has a lot of issues and one of them is a large element of criminality per head of population. It's hard to know what the solution is. Education is key though and ensuring that kids from all backgrounds stay in education to get at least a leaving cert is crucial.

Remember the idiot from Donegal who wanted to put all travelers into a camp in the Phoenix Park? Dangerous stuff lads. Peter Casey was him name and he wanted to be presidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Giving them special ethnic status was a terrible decision. It's made them untouchable.

That hasn't helped them or us from what I've seen. They get treated with kid gloves, we have to put up with it. They have always lived semi-outside the law though. Plenty of settled folks the same of course, some of the biggest scumbags I've seen are teens or early 20's who are not travellers. It seems parenting has taken a nosedive no matter what community you're from. Settled folks perhaps an over-reliance on the school raising their kids, no idea what happened to travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Well yes, I'd expect more scumbags to be not travellers. It's a simple makeup of the total numbers of non travellers v travellers.

How many travellers is there in Ireland? 30 or 40k is it? Yet they contribute so much violence.

Giving them special ethnic status means no one will go anywhere near criticising them for fear of being called racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Well, they don't pay VRT clearly as the vehicles involved were apparently UK-registered, so wouldn't be surprised if they are avoiding other taxes.

Ironically, the word 'traveller' was deemed by Pavee Point etc to be the correct term to use years back, because expressions like 'gypsy', 'tinker', 'itinerant' were deemed unacceptable. But 'itinerant' simply means a person who travels around a lot, there's nothing offensive about it. Tinker means someone who repairs metal work, pots and pans, etc, which historically is how they made a living, again nothing offensive. It's nothing like using the n word in relation to black people or the f word for LGBT people. It's the behaviour of elements within the community that has made the terms offensive, for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Good man Gregor, the lazy conspiracy theory followed up with added semantics.

I'll just leave this here for ya - CT me hole.

Here's what the 'Far Right' (according to eotr) Casey said - Copied from wiki not sure if links work

On 17 October, Casey attracted a mixture of criticism and praise when he made comments on the Irish Independent's Floating Voter podcast regarding social housing that was offered to, and refused by, Irish Travellers in Thurles, County Tipperary. Casey described Irish Travellers as "basically people camping in someone else's land" who are "not paying their fair share of taxes in society". There were calls for Casey to withdraw from the race, including from Traveller activist group Pavee Point. Other candidates condemned Casey's comments.[16][17] In the DáilTánaiste Simon Coveney referred to Casey's comments as the "lowest common denominator politics" and defended the Government's decision to recognise Irish Travellers as an ethnic minority in 2017, in contrast to Casey's belief that Irish Travellers share their ethnicity with the general Irish population.[18] 

Casey described Irish Travellers as "basically people camping in someone else's land" who are "not paying their fair share of taxes in society"

What a Nazi eh 😃

There was a proposal to ban polls in the week before an election but seems to have been dropped, unless anyone has a more recent update? But yes you are correct that his polling shows a clear upsurge in his support immediately after he made the comments about travellers, which is unlikely to be a coincidence.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0705/1233178-opinion-polls-ban-dropped/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Hi and welcome to Ireland as it's fairly obvious it's your first day here.

By tomorrow you will have figured out the answer your question.

Enjoy your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He was last seen trolling weather threads. People shouldn't bother. He'll be an expert on travellers next.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I posted a link that said 8% of them graduated with a leaving cert as per the 2011 census. There's no hope of convincing them to stay in school and get a leaving cert without incentivising them, and why should they get further handouts given all the carnage they cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I worked in a solicitor practice before who had a well known supermarket as a client. The amount of "discrimination" cases taken by the travellers after security guards asked to see the contents of their bags/pockets was ridiculous. And worse was that the supermarket would often settle the case just to get rid of it.

Security guards are probably told to ignore the ethnic minority now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

In 2011 86 travellers completed 3rd level education, in 2016 the figure was about 160, still a tiny percentage, that in itself suggests more and travellers are completing 2nd and 3rd level education.In the space of 5 years it almost doubled.

I'd imagine that if a parent completes their own education, the value of it will filter down to their children.

• Advertisement

I found it quite funny, to be fair. AH could do with more lads taking the piss and less lads being snarky, angry f*ckers. Not aiming that last part at you by the way.

Advertisement