Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packages dumped outside door and destroyed by rain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

That’s the thing. The contract is with the seller, not Amazon. If going to SCC, the op needs to choose the right company.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,123 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Quite agree but it sounds like the OP bought from a third party seller on Amazon. Some are dire when it comes to helping the customer after they have posted out a package. Time to name and shame them I think. Hope OP left a stinking one star review for the company.

imo a delivery made to a doorstep and left outside is not a completed delivery whatever Amazon and their cheap third party sellers say.

If this was fulfilled by Amazon or even sold by Amazon I don't think the OP would have the same issue over the refund.

One of the reasons I often state here for paying for prime (and not buying from third party sellers) is it gives me some control over the couriers used. Prime ensures I don't get "Fastway" delivering anything and the odd time it has happened I've complained and got a fiver or tenner credit for my trouble.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

They're not much use for communication if the the driver just rings the doorbell and runs away, as they often do.

I agree on the video evidence advantage though. At least you have proof if something wasn't delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It's not just Amazon.

I have had many packages left on the doorstep, by various courier and delivery companies, even when we have been inside the house and there were obvious signs of being home - no doorbell rang, no knock. The most recent was earlier this week when a box containing a pair of shoes was left on the step in the rain while we were home. It was not noticed until locking up the front door for the night at 11pm. A scan of the tracking number then revealed that it had been 'delivered' at 6pm.? From my TV viewing position, I have also often seen various couriers delivering to the opposite side of my road where they drop and run without any attempt to alert the householder.

An Post have not been immune from some recent sharp delivery practices in my experience either. Even registered post seems to be concluded without the expected confirmation signatures - some boardsies have previously advised that this is standard practice since Covid, but that is not how they advertise the service on their website and they don't tell you that there will be no signature acceptance when you pay for registered delivery either.

Do we need additional consumer protection legislation passed to legally define what is actually acceptable as a 'delivery'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

They're now smaller and half the price I paid for mine. Having lost my phone earlier in the year I can tell you that if you've 2fa set up it is far from easy to get into a Ring account. I practically had to send a DNA sample.

I wouldn't be without mine for security and deliveries. We had one courier who liked to call before 7am. Talking to him on my phone was a lot easier than getting out of bed!

Re the courier running away, I've called several back having gotten the motion alert before they rang the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Sono Topolino

“Don’t order online if you can’t guarantee you are home to accept delivery,” said a UPS driver to me today after I challenged him for ringing once, dropping the package at the door and scarpering away. “What do you want me to do? I have 500 packages in the van.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

Normally I'd agree with you but afaik the OP bought from a 3rd party seller on Amazon so Amazon would have have never seen the item and had nothing to do with how it was packaged and what courier was used.

I do feel its Amazons fault for siding with the seller.

The odd time I'd bought and had issues with 3rd party sellers I didn't feel I was on very firm ground with Amazon distancing themselves from the problem and doing nothing more than passing on messages. As a result it would be very rare for me to even consider buying anything "on" Amazon that they didn't have themselves in a fulfilment centre. I very nearly bought a monitor that I've been watching that dropped a good bit in price however stopped myself as it was a 3rd party seller. I'd prefer to pay a little more direct from Amazon themselves.

I would just say you never received the package if it was damaged and not signed for.

Surely the driver would need proof of you accepting the packages such as a signature, otherwise, you could just say they were never received?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Since the buyer already has opened a dispute for damaged item it's probably a bit late for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

Issue a charge-back with your bank provider for the transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I arrived home today to find my two 24" curved screens sitting on my doorstep, it appears they were there in plain view for at least 3 hours, thankfully they werent destroyed by rain or pinched!

Purchased directly from amazon and my signature faked by DPD.

Finally got a response from Amazon that halfway makes sense. Apparently my alternative delivery setting was "secure location near on property". My property does not have a secure location, and therefore they were dumped on my doorstep. I do not recall having ever gone near these settings in ten years or so of having an Amazon account...

Keep at them, ask them when you set it up or is it a default setting. Tell them you never set it up and if its a default then thats their fault.

Have you checked the settings yourself? Just checked the 7 addresses I have set up and none have anything set up they are all blank because I've never changed them - or even knew they existed come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Check that on your Amazon account page, under Your Account Your Addresses, Add delivery instructions. Mine has no alternative delivery location selected and to my knowledge I've never even looked in that menu so assume that's the default unless you specify otherwise.

Me neither. Just checked my address settings and I can't see anything resembling that. Neither on amazon UK nor DE.

Did you check and find this yourself?

On another note, like someone else said, there is always the option of disputing the bank charge as a last resort. But typically places like Amazon don like that at all and can get ratty after that. Like closing account type of ratty. I don't know, last resort. But for 800 quid it's something I would probably do if no resolution can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Grand so. Left on the doorstep in the rain is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a secure location so demand a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

I just had a look on Amazon UK. If you edit an address you will see a drop down menu for Delivery Instruction with a load of options.

Thanks seeing that now. In my case only really safe option would be neighbours but not comfortable giving their names tbh.

• Advertisement

I had no idea that charge backs existed on debit cards - I shall investigate this.

Refund was demanded and has been refused - multiple times.

But what was the reason you asked for a refund. You need to be quite specific.

I would start but asking what Amazon considers a safe location then when they define that hit them with the fact it wasn't delivered to a safe location and not delivered as per delivery instructions and damaged as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

But if safe location is my default setting, and I don't provide one, what's the driver supposed to do?

The main thing for me is communication. An automated text message the second the driver leaves it in the porch, bush, wheelie bin, dog kennel etc. would allow people arrange for the item to be retrieved quickly.

Use some common sense and realise that the doorstep out in the rain with no one in isn't a safe location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The driver doesn't care, he gets paid either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I asked for a refund because the package was left out in the rain and damaged. The vendor refused a refund because they claim I received the package per their tracking data. Amazon have taken the side of the seller, and now proferred "the delivery company followed the instructions provided. There was no safe location on the property, and that is not the seller or the delivery company's fault" as a justification. I, not the seller, am liable for damage suffered post-delivery.

Based on my correspondence with them, this is Amazon's position regardless of whether it is a marketplace seller or Amazon that you are transacting with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Glaceon

You could find yourself banned from Amazon if you do a chargeback, certainly AliExpress do this. I'm not saying don't, just be aware that you may have issues using them again in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Yeah, they will really believe that utter sh1te - maybe also say you'll whine to joe duffy as well.

When people spurt utter crap like this you immediatley lose ALL credibility

OP just needs to request that it is escalated to a supervisor, but in reality, if you are buying online that often and not going to be home for most deliveries, get a parcel box and parcels can be placed out of the elements

• Advertisement

It has been escalated and reviewed and refused.

A parcel box is a good idea, but I’d need to consider whether I can install it on shared/common ground. Honestly, what caught me off guard here is that parcels just don't get returned to a collection point. Now that I know not to expect this I’ll look into alternatives.

Advertisement