Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packages dumped outside door and destroyed by rain

Options
  • 16-12-2022 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

A few weeks ago, I ordered a number of items from Amazon last week and they did not offer me any choice regarding delivery date. Some of the packages were "delivered" on a day when I was not at home, which means that they were left outside my front door exposed to heavy rain. The rain soaked through the packaging and completely destroyed the items inside.

I raised a complaint with Amazon and they ignored it, saying that from their end it showed the products were delivered to the correct address. This is not the first time packages have been carelessly "delivered" when I'm not at home, i.e. left outside my front door. Last Christmas I had a similar issue with a package going completely missing and Amazon refusing to take responsibility. It's not just Amazon either, although they make up the bulk of my online purchases. Despite my instructions to the contrary, all couriers insist on leaving products outside my door... Am I insane or was it not the norm a few years ago that if the occupant of the house was not at home, the package would be returned to the depot and a delivery slip left in the recipient's mailbox advising them either how to collect the package or arrange for another delivery day? Honestly, a thirty minute drive to a depot is a lot better than my purchases being completely ruined due to a delivery driver trying to meet a quota.

Post edited by whiterebel on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭VG31

Complain to Amazon again, stating clearly that the items you received were damaged. Sometimes you can just be unlucky with an agent and you need to try again.

It's become much more common for couriers to do this since Covid. Funnily enough Amazon actually used to wait for someone to answer the door almost always during Covid. It's only since a few months ago that they just leave them outside the door.

Even the postman in my area does this. Only DHL, UPS and FedEx never just leave packages outside the door in my experience. The DPD driver doesn't for signed for items at least also.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Sono Topolino

I made a refund request under A-Z and it was refused because the tracking said "parcel handed to resident", despite me having photographic evidence of the package being damaged. I have exhausted my appeals so I can either give up or go to the Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ring doorbell or equivalent is what you need. Talk to the delivery person at the time they're there. They have waterproof bags they can put stuff in if they leave it outside

They may have rung the doorbell but I was at work at the time, and there was nobody else at home. If the delivery person had a waterproof back he did not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Make a claim under 'damaged goods'. I've had to do so a few times and never had any issues.

• Advertisement

I was referring to a Ring doorbell, a video doorbell (hence the capital R). Talk to them through the app when they ring the bell. They don't put the bags on the stuff unless you specifically ask when talking to them

it’s not all Amazons fault

Again, they refused the refund because it happened after the package was delivered.

I might look into that.

I realise that "delivery by Amazon" does not mean Amazon Inc actually delivers the package, they're the ones I have a contract with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Deub

Your contract is with the seller you bought from, not Amazon. You should see “sold by X” on your order.

True, but it does not really make a difference. I made a claim for a refund from the seller, who refused it, and then I made an A-Z claim from Amazon against the seller. That's not the point though - the point is that delivery drivers have decided to stop delivering packages to residents and instead just dump them at the front door. Amazon (and vendors on Amazon) also have started to refuse responsibility for what happens to packages once they are "delivered" - i.e. dumped outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rustyman101

Covid gave the courier companies carte blanch to dump parcels on the doorsteps and bugger off, have some v interesting footage of recent "deliveries" Kevin from DPD is particularly efficient......lol

1 comical incident where they put a box of wine under the doormat, walked back to the van got in then reviewed and rethought the wisdom of putting 12 bottles of wine under the mat....hilarious to look at.

We need to get real on consumer rights in this country. Amazon can do whatever the heck they want with impunity because they have so much market power. Unless the little guy has recourse to a properly resourced regulator, they have zero incentive to accept responsibility for their obvious **** ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Well you do have some serious power actually. You could take your business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You could return it under the distance selling regulations?

You'll pay postage, but if the goods are worth 100's of euro its better than doing nothing.

Would be hard for amazon to not take the items back if they are still in the original (destroyed) packaging.

Technically I could stop doing business with Amazon, which would be inconvenient but not impossible. Not doing business with courier companies is a much taller order as a lot of the products I buy are not available in high street shops here.

I also tried this. The items are damaged, and Amazon claim I am responsible for the damage. Because of this, it's not possible for me to return them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some couriers will leave stuff anywhere.

I had a 500e electronic item thrown over a fence, lucky for me it landed in a bush and no harm was done.

I also had an expensive book shoved under a hedge on a wet day. Lucky again I got home early.

I find my postman is more conscientious.

Send it back under distance selling.

As above, I tried this and the refund was refused because they claim I am responsible for the damage.

Like you said a few years ago anything that had any kind of value on it had to be signed for. I guess covid changed that and now it seems to have become a grey area.

As a layman I would think that left outside your front door doesn't actually qualify as delivered. Anyone could just take it for starters. It's not secure. Then there is weather damage as you described.

Push to shove I don't think amazon or the courier would have a leg to stand on. I would suggest like a previous poster said claiming damaged item and hold firm on that. It's the actual truth and if they say we have a delivery confirmation you say yes it was delivered but it's damaged all the same. And you can't be responsible until you actually take possession which is not the same as the courier dumping it on your front door.

I'd be in the same boat only I'm lucky my door is in a recess and things rarely get wet. Still tho most of the time the courier gives it to the neighbour. Only low cost stuff they leave behind the flower pot.

Very odd. I've always found them excellent with any issues over delivery or damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

We had sensitive and confidential documents just dumped on the door step by what was supposed to be a signed for service!

The couriers are a complete joke, especially since COVID.

I agree, but they're holding firm to the position that when they delivered the goods they were in perfect working condition. The damage occurred post-delivery and they are not responsible for that.

I agree that dropping them on my doorstep does not count as delivered, but I guess the question is how do we consumers enforce that reasonable view? Small claims court?

I'd dig my heels in.

Tell them when the goods came into your possession they were damaged and your next correspondence will be from your solicitor which will add to the cost of the damaged item (for them).

May I ask is it an expensive item?

Unless its crazy expensive Amazon are typically pretty good with these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

The goods weren't delivered. They were thrown on your door step in the rain. I wouldn't accept that and threaten small claims if necessary.

Amazon appears to have taken the view that I’m after a freebie/pay day at their/the seller’s expense. The value of the damaged goods is around €800 so it is worth my time going to the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭babyducklings1

That’s why I’m very hesitant about online purchases . It gets complicated though as some purchases online ( if you are not at home ) are returned to the post office then you go to the post office and sign for them whereas others ( courier company) have phoned to say it’s in transit and will I be there or not when it’s delivered.

It really is hit and miss ( literally) some family members who frequently buy online have had parcels flung over gates into the garden. Not great if it’s a purchase to be handled with care. There are pros and cons for sure. I wanted to buy glassware and kitchen things online for Christmas presents this year and the online option was so convenient but decided against it as was afraid they might get broken or damaged. I’m not talking specifically about Amazon but in general, but it is hard to figure out ( when ordering , in my opinion) how the delivery will be dealt with ie. Put into your garden or returned to post office or depot.

It could also be construed that as the first word in your post was Ring that you were following normal grammar rules and starting the first word of a sentence with a capital letter. Indeed, I had to read your post at least twice to figure out what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

Household does a lot of shopping online, and seldom anyone at home.

Had similar issue with items getting wet, etc. Bought one of these and solved problem (still risk of theft).

That is a high value item in my book and I would see the courier at fault here.

But your contract is with Amazon so let them deal with it.

• Advertisement

I didn't say Ring the doorbell so suggesting it was a verb would make the rest of the sentence grammatically incorrect.

Video doorbells are game changers for online shoppers who work outside the home. Communication and evidence.

Advertisement