Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Doing my first parkrun in Marley this Saturday. Hopefully many more to come. Do I just need to print off my barcode and bring it? Guess its a lot more useful to purchase a barcode wristband? Also, I just registered for Parkrun website, I don't need to register specifically for Marley Run? I'll be cycling down so don't want to carry too much with me. I'll leave the phone at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Yeah Just print off the barcode and bring it along. No need to be buying wristbands just yet (or at all), and you dont need to register for Marlay or any other parkrun

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Enjoy! Marley is great (they're all great!). If you can laminate your barcode it's helpful (avoids it getting soaked from rain etc) but it's not necessary. If you own a Garmin watch you can save your barcode to that, maybe later when you're hooked :).

Carry the barcode with you when you're running and when you cross the line, you'll be given a small plastic token with your position number. The scanners will scan your barcode, then the token which you then return to the volunteers so they can reuse every week.

Your barcode will work in every parkrun in the world..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

I never knew you could download the barcode onto your Garmin watch - I’ve done it and it’s made my day! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's a 3rd party app for Fitbit Versas (and I assume the Sense range as well).

We're reluctant to guide people to buy the official arm bands, water bottles and flasks as these are shipped in from the UK and are subject to the Customs Boris Brexit Bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I tend to scan the qr code from my Garmin rather than the normal barcode. I find that it scans better.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

I used https://dfyb.run/ to put the park run QR code on my Apple Watch

used it last week , worked great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

First park run at Marley today. Thanks all for the input. Hopefully many more to come.

The barcode on the Garmin is such a great idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You can also your add your barcode to Google Wallet on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Mean to post here but 2 weeks back I broke my 2 year Marley PB of 22.20 and achieved a sub 22 min time, delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Will be in Limerick next Saturday morning, might try a local parkrun (hangover depending) - UL or Mungret? Both are similar distance away from where I'll be staying...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mungret would be my preference of the 2.

Bit more space, nicer backdrop. Parts of the UL run can be very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The course at UL was changed in the last few weeks and now uses the Greenway AFAIK. I haven't tried the new route.

Mungret does have that hill that you do four times. It also has a very nice cafe and a good surface.

Both are nice and friendly parkruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Had the pleasure of doing Coole parkrun near Gort, Co. Galway last Saturday, what a beautiful place!! They have reindeer (!), forest trails, the most welcoming core team (possibly in the country..) and the coffee shop has breakfasts, cakes and scones, all freshly/home made.

Most of the county Galway runs are in great spots. Portumna is very similar to Coole Park and has a nice horse box coffee shop in the car park. Oranmore has a nice route as well but a bit more challenging with a hill, Last time I was there there was this "ice cream van" style shop selling coffee but I don't know if it's always there. Mountbellew, the new one is also a nice forest run and the double decker bus coffee shop nearby is a nice spot. Not been out to Knocknacarra or Oughterard (or is it Moycullen, I'm always getting those towns mixed) . Walked through Clonbur wood not during a park run but the signage made it clear it was the route and it was a pleasant place. Would love to visit it some time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bushy parkrun cancelled for tomorrow, I'd expect a fair few cancellations.

Marlay also cancelled.

Post edited by adrian522 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Dodder valley Parkrun also cancelled, I'd advise anyone hoping to do a run in the morning to check the parkrun's facebook page. The Sports Ireland campus Parkrun in Blanch is closed too, which is a pity as it's entirely on grass and I had hoped that would be open.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tymon cancelled too

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Corkagh Park and Castletown also cancelled. Was thinking of heading further west to get a parkrun in tomorrow but there's another widespread hard frost again tonight so hard to know where to head for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Can't see many going ahead at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Hi, we don't cancel very often but we are definitely cancelled for tomorrow. The ice and frost is already very thick and there's no chance it will be cleared by the morning. In the interest of safety, we made the decision to cancel. Hopefully we will see you all next week instead

got this from river valley park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I’m in exactly the same boat.

Always next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

No chance I’m attempting this again next year

Update from Oranmore (Galway)

Tomorrow is meant to be a brisk 0°c when parkrun is due to start. Typically since the paths are all tarmac we should be fine, but we will check the route in the morning to make sure it’s safe. The fact that it’s been dry should hopefully help.

Edit: Knocknacarra were also expecting to go ahead as of 8 o'clock this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

naas cancelled also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Anybody know any Dublin ones definitely going ahead?

Grand Canal Tullamore not on that list, also cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Maybe check shanganagh given its proximity to the sea?

Edit; nevermind, they literally just posted on Facebook that it's cancelled.

Advertisement