Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

31 called off so far. Including 3 that had called off for other reasons, Achill, St Annes and Castletown. Ironically, the race that St Annes was cancelled for might well get called off themselves.

Everything in Galway got called off so I ended up in Athlone this morning where I heard that they are planning to move out of TUS/AIT and onto an out and back course on the Old Rail Trail Greenway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The BHAA race predates St. Anne’s parkrun as far as I know so, being pedantic, I wouldn’t call it a cancellation.

Well in any case, the race did go ahead as did all other Dublin Parkruns from what I gather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Going to try this again next Sat assuming no more storms appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kenn0

Kilkenny countryside park junior parkrun will start Sunday 21st of April at 9:30 am sharp. Junior parkrun is a free weekly 2km run for children aged 4 to 14 years. Parents can run / walk with children if they choose. Register on line at

https://www.parkrun.ie/register/

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

What are people's top few favorite parkruns in Ireland? Thinking of doing a bit of tourism somewhere in the next few weeks and trying to come up with a shortlist

Kilkenny castle park

A Tough one in a beautiful setting

Tramore

go for dip in the sea after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Glengarriff, Vandeleur, Tramore, Sport Ireland Campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Any particular areas you'll be visiting? Where is your home parkrun?

Oh I'd be travelling specifically for the parkrun! Home parkrun is Griffeen and I've done all the runs within an hours drive at this stage. Have a weekend to myself coming up so thinking of trying one further afield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Progression, Inis meain, Narin Beach would be my top 3 locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sounds like you want something a bit different and far away. I've done Bere Island and it's lovely, a bit of a day out too with tea/scones in the local shop/cafe afterwards.

I haven't done Inis Meain parkrun but that one looks like a bit of an adventure even just to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

For the view you get from the finish line after that hill, I have to give a shout out for Ardgillan. Challenge wise, Cabinteely ranks up there and for the bucket list/memories Jamaica Park in Boston (USA).

My own personal tourism wish lists are Bushy in London, it's the OG so for me is a must do, Bere Island and Woolacombe Dunes for the sheer difficulty.

I'd second the Narin Beach suggestion. Another nice spot I thought was Cootehill. The fairy forest is a nice walk around and there's changing facilities for a dip in the lake if you're brave enough. Vicarstown is a nice community out and back along the canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

I'd 2nd that for the Bere Island parkrun, great location and a single loop course which is a rarity

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Have they removed the list of winners by parkrun from the website or am I having a stupid moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Do you mean this? https://www.parkrun.ie/< - parkrun event name ->/results/eventhistory/

(Replace < - parkrun event name -> with the parkrun you're interested in)

The male and female first finishers only get displayed on desktop or desktop mode on mobile for me 🤔

Yet another new Parkrun for the north west, this time it's county Leitrim, east of Manorhamilton in a place called Moneyduff and the run is called Glenfarne Wood

http://www.parkrun.ie/glenfarnewood/

Wasn't there a prison run near there some time ago?

• Advertisement

https://www.change.org/p/reinstate-statistics-on-parkrun-for-all-participants/u/32553862

Notes from a meeting between Russ Jeffreys, Paul Sinton Hewitt and representatives of parkrunners objecting to the removal of the stats. Does not make good reading.

"Comparison is the thief of joy"

Theodore Roosevelt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pure screed, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

"He said that is something taken for granted, but providing a time was not a core element for them."

That is the very reason it was first run with 13 people - a regular time trial event.

The whole interaction smacks of arrogance from parkrun. Not a community run organisation? On the ground level, that is exactly what it is.

I can envisage a strike from core team across parkrun events in the next 12-24 months if parkrun HQ continue with this attitude.

Following the recommendations here, I headed down to Bere Island this weekend, absolutely wonderful experience. I was blessed with the weather too, blue skies and sunshine. Great group of volunteers and regulars there. Favourite moment was going to the local cafe afterwards and the first finisher and her brother were already there, working behind the counter 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Brilliant. It's a great event. Can't beat a bit of parkrun tourism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ergo

Saw a guy with a buggy leading Marlay yesterday at 3k mark. Did he come first? Never seen a buggy in the lead before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

As is being pointed out on the Reddit thread, this was written by someone with bias. The writer had the agenda that whether friendly or not, parkrunners have a right to beat other parkrunners whether their "competition" like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mountlucas - do visit if you can.

The loop is anticlockwise FYI, in case you're thinking of freedom running it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I had a handful of first finishes with the buggy back in the day, and a lot more seconds as people tended to put in mad sprints to get past me at the end. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Nothing breaks your spirit more than being passed by someone pushing a buggy... I tell a lie a sprint finish with a 7 months pregnant lady 🤣🤣🤣. Have experienced both

New venue for Athlone Parkrun comes into effect from the 11th of May. Moving out from TUS/AIT and heading over to the Regional Sports Centre just off Exit 10 of the bypass. Two laps, starting by going around the perimeter of the centre, out onto the Greenway towards town, turning around back into the centre to finish the perimeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ergo

Fair play - never did a full parkrun with the buggy - it's so tough on the arms!

And no, it wasn't a twin buggy, for Cassie asking above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

such arrogance from those at the top of parkrun.

If reported accurately. Remember this is written by someone who had an agenda to bring back park runner athletic ranking and anyone denying that agenda is their enemy and will be portrayed in a bad light.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm inclined to belive the account based on the reaction from other EDs (including relations of mine) who say that it fits with their experience of dealing with HQ. Also just listened to the With Me Now podcast from a couple of weeks before, and Danny Norman fairly accurately predicted the response from Russ Jeffries. Although I doubt he would have expected the same to be expressed by PSH.

• Advertisement

Edit <You know what, nevermind>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I've had to deal with parkrun HQ a few times, it's a bit like a politburo, their decisions cannot be questioned. As parkrun Ireland is now bundled under the EMEA umbrella, maybe things will change, hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Surely getting rid of time and position is next on the agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

I think it'll do the exact opposite and numbers will fall off a cliff

Was concerning that PSH and Russ brought up that as a possibility. Could have been them just getting carried away with the train of thought about "it's my ball, so my rules" and trying to scare the stats people to back off.

But if it was a potential threat or not, it shows an astounding lack of ability to manage the PR of the situation. That they agreed to a meeting means something from sponsors likely spooked them, but their handling of any controversial issues is repeatedly very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I agree that these changes and more in that direction will cause a fall off in numbers. I said it in my local parkrun group, it feels like the beginning of the end.

Who are all these people who are so frightened of stats that it's causing them not to sign up? It's not like the website is so intuitive to use that results and stats are ready to find.

• Advertisement

HQ claimed previously that a survey of people who had registered and never taken part or had only taken once indicated that they were put off by the statistics, which lead to their removal. Someone posted an HQ generated report based on the survey which suggested that the main impediments were child care issues, the 9.30 start time and not being able to run 5k. The report made no reference to stats. I'll see if I can find the report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

There's been no fall in numbers at the two Parkruns I frequent and I've encountered no discussion about these changes outside of a few posters on running forums. My instinct is that Parkrun will be absolutely grand and most people don't care about this issue.

this is the report that I was referring to. It is dated 2022, so is recent enough. One of ithe co authors is Matt Shields, the parkrun country manager for for Ireland.

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-022-12546-w?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0CZqgRFKuaHzAaGnSIfm6lW5HfEc6v-NQz_OCAvUq9DZDpN39FhnyuEZE_aem_AeZ9JHClfO5rD_8xFjWa7KUbPiz16vEfLMEDUefVBCnJje0kSFOll-lVtDe6tawN8poGL3_sv4h_kL-qzXmwQYOb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Agreed, The vast majority (Including myself to be honest) don't care, a lot probably don't even realise there's a change. Once I get my own time I'm fine

The point is that if you don't care about the stats, their presence doesn't affect you, you just ignore them. They don't impact on your enjoyment of parkrun, which is fair enough. For those who do get benefit from the stats, their removal does impact on their enjoyment of parkrun. The HQ rational that the stats discourage participation does not ring true and is not reflected in their own reporting, as posted above. What has annoyed a lot of regular parkrunners is HQs dismissive responses to the back lash over the removal of the stats. This whole issue appears to be due to issues with transgender runners and HQs attempt to deal with the issue without actually dealing with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement