Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

I did bring it back, and it was unopened. The (very nice) lady in the post office told me CN22s are now gone, everything has to go on a CN23 irrespective of value - even though it still says CN22 can be used up to €300 (I think) on An Posts website.

But I did have to pay the full postage again, as whomever returned my package, invalidated the stamps by drawing through them with a blue pen.

I did email An Post about that, but as expected, got no response.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

@chicorytip

I posted a A4 size envelope to the UK today containing only documents, standard postage cost €3, and they still attached a CN23 to it.

In fact, the same very nice lady in the post office today told me their systems are crashing almost daily, because their systems were not built for the pressure of the amount of data input that now has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dammij

I just wondered if this is An Post only outbound or does it also apply to imports?

The reason I ask is because I received a magazine today and they used a CN22.

Some senders ask me what the Irish requirements are.

Now I don't know what to tell them!!

Any advice / clarification / facts / updates welcome! Thanks!

It wasn't the lady in the post office's fault, she couldn't do anything about the stamps that had been defaced, and there would have been no point in my taking it out on her.

I will follow up on the email to An Post about it again, though, with the receipt for the new postage I had to pay. Not expecting much, though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Scandalous that they made the stamps unusable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seeing as it didn’t make it out of the country, and they accepted in the first place?

Then item was intact and unopened, but the stamps had a line drawn through them with a pen.

I know that Royalmail in the UK consider this as franked, and it is done to prevent stamps from being re-used. I assume the same applies here.

The lady in the post office said they couldn't be reused, so I'll take her word for it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭deezell

Letter says "without additional cost". The error is their's.

MOD - Split posts off to the Incorrect clearance thread, as they haven't been returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Long time readers if the thread might remember I contacted ComReg regarding the parcels being returned and the new AP system.

unfortunately it appears that it falls outside our regulatory remit in that the services used (the parcels appear to have used EMS which is a service ComReg does not regulate) and that there are matters related to Customs and Revenue, which also are outside our regulatory remit.

• Advertisement

Update on the above -

Finally got a reply from An Post yesterday on this advising me to return to the post office to resend the item - but they obviously never read the email I sent because they completely ignored that I had already done that. They never referred to or addressed the issue of the crossed out stamps either.

In other words, exactly what I expected. Absolute waste of time.

I believe this is where An Post jumped the gun and tried to implement the new system way too early:

http://www.aircargoweek.com/postal-operators-and-carriers-gearing-up-for-ics2-face-challenges/?mc_cid=84560c364b&mc_eid=82ee698461

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

• I thought they had sorted this out. looks like it's not.
    • Back and forward to the UK twice in four days. Royal Mail are not taking it anymore, just sending it straight back to An Post.

• 21 Sep 2022
    • 02:13
    • Item Leaving the UK. Your item is now leaving the UK. More information will be available when it arrives in the destination country
    • United Kingdom
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 21 Sep 2022
    • 01:13
    • Your post has left An Post
    • DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 20:32
    • We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 12:04
    • Item has left the overseas International Processing Centre
    • DUBLIN DELIVERY, Ireland
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:38
    • Item received at
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:37
    • Your item is currently with Customs in the destination country
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:36
    • Item Received
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:04
    • We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:04
    • Your delivery has been sorted
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 10:38
    • We have your post in
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 10:36
    • Your delivery was received by An Post in
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 17 Sep 2022
    • 01:08
    • Item Leaving the UK
    • LANGLEY HWDC
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 17 Sep 2022
    • 01:07
    • Item Received by Royal Mail
    • LANGLEY HWDC
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 16 Sep 2022
    • 17:37
    • Sender preparing item
    •  ROYAL MAIL

See how the RM and AnPost drones consider this is all about them, like two kids fighting over a toy. Their whole purpose, their customers, are collateral damage. An inconvenience. Their jobs would be so much easier if they didn't have to deal with stupid people. You really ought to send this log to the media. Idiots need their heads banged together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looks like they got me here. It was a memory card reader that a friend of mine sent over from the UK for a project we’re working on. It didn’t even get to my DSU so am suspecting a customs issue.

It must be impossible to personally send Xmas gifts from UK to family here.

As suspected. This is ridiculous, it's not as if I'm trying to flout customs or anything. I'm willing to pay whatever it is. I'll have to get him to resend another way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Guys bought a small engine part piston on Amazon com and got a an post tracking number and checked just now and it's saying at Dublin mails centre and item is saying returning to sender,what's this all about and who do I need to contact to get my item?

And I should have said I did not use address pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You should have received an email from An Post requesting custom charges. Contact them immediately to explain. 'Return to sender ' usually means they think you have refused the shipment.

• Advertisement

Never got a email from an post.

What's best way to contact them ??.

We decided in the end that I'd just order what I need from an EU seller rather than trying to send stuff back and forth. Such a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

If you purchased from Amazon.com then they should be handling customs, did they add Import Duty Deposit to your order value?

was a 3rd party seller on amazon.com and no it was not added at end of payment where you some times see where it says no import duty tax etc

i contacted an post web chat and the told me nothing the can do,the item is going back to seeler cause the never declared all the relevant stuff meaning customs etc

guys know its off topic,but whats it like to buy stuff from aliexpress.will i get stung for customs like i did on amazon.com where some 3rd party sellers on there dont seem to cover you for customs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Aliexpress take care of the customs for you. They include it in the price at checkout. I've never had a customs issue with Aliexpress.

Aliexpess have all tax paid in advance, so it should come straight to your door.

Their biggest problem I've had is returns. If the stuff is wrong/faulty/sh¡te, you end up paying postage to return, but only IF they decide your case warrants return.

I only buy items that wouldn't upset me greatly if they didn't work.

Sh¡te in other words! In fairness the really cheap stuff is OK, and I've bought some decent electronic items like car OBD scanner cables which were so cheap, the one in 5 that was faulty wasn't worth worrying about.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't quite use those words but you have to be aware of the limitations of where you are buying from.

A part if me doesn’t like supporting a regime whose ethos is all about 'limitations' of it's vast population. The West has helped create this monster, with our addiction to cheap goods, and we can only pray that your man in charge doesn’t decide to be Putin mk2 someday. But all this is off topic. We can blame Anpost if that day arrives.

The limitation is that shipping from ireland to china is more expensive than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sersti

I ordered an item from Ukraine. It took about a month to get to Ireland, and after it had spent nearly a week sittlng in Dublin Mail Centre, the status changed to "We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender". I called An Post and was told that the parcel was being returned because the tariff code was incorrect for importing to a EU country.

I contacted the manufacturer/seller, who told me that they ship the item to EU countries daily, and had never had a problem with the tariff code. I double-checked the code in the EU online TARIC database and it's correct.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to contact An Post's customs office. Apparently they have had their own customs office since January.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭glitterIsland

I ordered an item from amazon and its coming from a third seller on amazon and its and English shop. I wasn't aware of the third party seller and thought it was coming from amazon.

I read some posts here about an post. Will an post be returning my item once it gets into Ireland now or will there be any chance of a delivery?

Was it fulfilled by amazon or shipped by the seller? if it was fulfilled by amazon you should be ok. If shipped by the seller it depends on whether the english shop has done customs paperwork correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭glitterIsland

It was shipped from the seller.

Feck about the customs papers.

A lot of UK shops haven't organised themselves since brexit in that I pulled dout from some online orders because the English vat rate was never removed.

I doubt I will get this order at all. I will likely have to make alternative arrangements now.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They have an email address but so far for me it is auto replies. They're looking for money from me for some thing from Northern Ireland that very clearly came from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Does anybody know what the current turnaround times are for a response from the ecomm team when you've emailed them to dispute a customs charge?

Mod: 3rd time you’ve posted the same query on different threads. Please keep it to one thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cabletieconway

ive just had two packages arrive in Ireland from Japan,more specifically Buyee. A service I’ve used often the last few years with never any issues. I was notified about customs for the two packages,paid the charges,items then cleared customs and made their way to portlaoise,then miraculously appeared in London and have arrived back In japan?

i had been keeping an eye on them and as soon as the first package arrived in London I contacted Anpost and they immediately said there was an issue with sender and nothing could be done. I told her there is a second package I have paid customs on but hasn’t arrived in portlaoise yet,she checked and confirmed,I asked can this be highlighted of some sort to make sure it’s also not returned,with no luck,and low and behold two days later it’s in London on the way to japan. Buyee notified me when packages arrived back In japan that permission to import package denied,despite the items clearing customs. There seems to be no issue from their end,again I’ve had multiple packages from them this year alone with no issues. Items are alloys which I’ve had shipped before. Anpost are still saying it’s senders issue despite sender doing everything correctly as they always have,and it even cleared customs. Anyone experience this and find a solution? I’ve severely out of pocket now as I’ve paid customs on the items,and sender now wants me to pay for repackage and to send again,which is now worth it so I’m down money for items and for initial shipping and customs.

apologies if this has been clarified elsewhere in the thread,I managed to get to page 20 and haven’t the time to read the entire forum. Any info greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's a long story but An Post are basically returning anything from outside the EU that doesn't follow their new very strict rules, something like having the correct taric/tariff code. There is anecdotal evidence that even packages with all the correct details are being returned. Seems most postal services in the world can't get the hang of it and An Post aren't providing any customer service, just sending packages back with vague copy/paste responses to any queries.

The only good solution I've found is to ask sender to use the PostNL international parcel service because it ships via the Netherlands thereby avoiding the package hitting Ireland as the point of arrival in the EU. Takes a little bit longer but it is very reasonably priced. There is also the option of using courier like DHL or Fedex but that will be very expensive compared to standard post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Another interesting experience with An Post

UK package - cost £200

Was expecting to pay VAT of about €50 plus the handling fee so about €55 all-in. Not an issue once I get the item.

Package rejected - the usual "failed electronic customs clearance". Arrives back with seller. He sends me a photo of the package with the value clearly marked on it along with with TARIC code etc.

I ask seller for refund as An Post won't provide proper explanation why and it's not clear why it was rejected.

He says "Let me try again first. I'll read their website before I send again."

About a week later the item arrives in new packaging. Value marked down to £20 and the word "Gift" written on it. Delivered without an issue.

Japan are aware of it but it still happens. My only sucess with Buyee was to use ems and write the tarics in myself, there's a part when you order you can edit the pricing and descriptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Mate in London has a motorcycle part for me. He's already posted it over and it was returned with no reason given. Maybe no taric code? How can I get this thing back frm uk?

Is it worth trying post again with correct tariff code?

There returning packages from the EU also,as I bought a small part on Amazon Germany and it landed in Dublin and was sent back to sender in Germany,so much for being able to buy stuff in Europe without hassle and crap.

That's mad, I thought I saw something on Twitter but was to Spain? So not the only one

Did the sender have the same sticker on their parcels that the outside EU ones had? it being Amazon they mightn't say just curious for any extra info

do not know what was on the parcel as i never seen the parcel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Item frm UK being delivered by Hermes, stuck in customs for 9 days...how do I get this moved on? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Purchased an item that arrived from China on November 18th in the Dublin parcel hub. The An Post tracking says it was delivered to Limerick D.S.U that morning. Since then it hasn’t moved. Received no customs notice or anything. Rang An Post to ask what’s going on and can’t get any information. They don’t seem to know why it was delivered to Limerick sorting office when I live in North Wicklow. What can I do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Assuming all the customs info is correct then it could be just down to how busy An Post is this time of year. A lot of stuff ordered from China in November can take significantly longer than usual to arrive to due to a backlog, in my experience it seems like Ireland, EU, Non-EU post/packages are prioritised in that order this time of year. In the past I've ordered stuff from outside the EU including China in November and it wouldn't get delivered until January. Just keep following up with them though, maybe there is some other issue

• Advertisement
Advertisement