Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Further, it seems there was support from .... Russia. Whoulda guessed. But Russia is/is not far right depending on where you want to direct your criticism. No surprise the German police took this very seriously - not because of 25 loonies, but their backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How dare those workers demand living wages - what are they anyway, capitalists??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They can do as much as anyone else in the organisation.

Why not? Are they slaves?

A job isn’t a handout it’s a contract between two or more parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Interested in the views of some of the right wing commentators on here.

If you were living in Georgia, and had a vote, who would you have voted for yesterday on the Senate runoff race?

It's a very ominous sign when so many people looked at the two candidates and yet 1.5M voted for someone who hadn't a clue what he was doing in the race, needed chaperones in interviews, banned the press from getting too close to him, pretended to be a cop, threatened to kill his ex-wife, abandoned his children and lives in another state.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I would have voted for the Democratic candidate in that race.

Perhaps you could also define what you mean by right-wing and far-right / fascist.

For example, do you think Marine Le Pen is a fascist?

Barstool sports host and Fox News regular guest caught on 3+ mins of hot mic talking about how Fox News peddles in hate and divisiveness, even expresses regret that he joked about democrats eating babies on Jesse Watters show, acknowledging that there are members of that audience who wouldn’t know he was being serious.

”I got home, I talked to my wife, I was disappointed in myself”

“Tucker just screams. It’s just weird.” He and his colleagues then mock Carlson’s pantomime of pretending to not understand everything he disagrees with, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“Over 1 million people in US have been killed by firearms over past 30 years, data show”

So which side are pro guns again?

Also red states tend to have the highest crime rates in the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Given what happened in the States I cannot believe anyone is playing down what happened in Germany. France was clearly moving to the right ahead of the recent election. Italy remains a country with significant numbers on the right. And the one common denominator of extremists on the right is they seem happy to resort to violence to impose their beliefs on others.

With everything going on in the World it is not a situation to play down

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It also staggers me that some people seem to get some kind of kick out of seeing this sort of thing going on. They seem to think that disruption like this is a benefit, rather than something to be concerned over

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Is this Eskimohunt 1.0 and Eskimohunt 2.0 or are they both Eskimohunt 2.0?

As I already said, the left deserves credit for many of the things they did and worked for in the past.

How the f*ck do you think the left got what they wanted in the past?

Do you think the bosses rolled out of bed one morning and said "Here ye go lads, here's your sick pay, your paid time off, bank holidays, maternity leave, etc..."

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Weekends off, equal pay, health and safety laws. They all just appeared out of nowhere.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Exactly.

The captains of industry all got together and decided to grow a heart between them.

Those who support the goings on of the likes of Trump, Farage, Oban, Le Pen and Putin probably feel they are not getting what they want out of life so why shouldn't the rest of us suffer. I do not consider any of them "right wing" - They are simply disrupters who go along with things that cause disruption. Things that challenge the status quo. I don't think any of them have any real "vision" - they really do not care so long as they are seen to "achieve" something through their disruption. Some people really do get kicks out of all of this, which is incredibly sad and indeed dangerous

Look, that's a big subject. To assume that only left-wing activists were responsible for those changes is not accurate. Were they a factor in many of them? Yes, for sure. Nobody can deny history. In the same way that David Cameron, a Conservative, introduced same-sex marriage in the UK. People who subscribe to moderate right-wing ideas are not against most of those things, in fact, they're actively welcomed. And the left of today cannot be compared to the left of the past; they are two very different beasts.

But many people asking about the rise of the moderate right over the past number of years have to ask themselves the question, why?

Why did this right-wing wave manifest?

Because any objective analysis of that question must involve some introspection, some degree of personal responsibility. The reality is that many people have felt that their opinions have been ignored on matters important to them. If you label vast swathes of people as racists and fascists and Islamophobes and homophobes, and all the hundreds of other -isms and -phobes, don't be surprised when they decide to speak up, at the ballot box.

If you are concerned about the rise of the right, perhaps you'll need to consider that some of your politics have contributed largely to that outcome.

The problem is that you're amplifying the importance of these people.

The Patriot Front are a bunch of losers with 300 active members.

Three hundred.

Are they a menacing nuisance? Absolutely.

But let's not portray these tiny fringe extremists as somehow on some massive rise in the United States, because they ain't.

• Advertisement

• You can't believe Eskimohunt 2.0 is playing down the carry on of the far-right?

Eskimohunt's entire existence on Boards.ie;

• Did the far-right do something bad? - Yes, but *insert positive deflection*
    • Did the far-left do something good? - Yes, but *insert negative deflection*

That being said, and before anyone accuses me of it, I don't want Eskimohunt banned or anything. More people will read this thread and move to the left than will read his arguments and move to the right.

Parodying yourself though aren't we?

1 trans shooter? Pfft. menacing nuisance

25 Germans? Pfft. What are they gonna do

300 Americans? Pfft. What are they gonna do

What's your threshold for treating threats seriously?

Why does a "Danger coming from the right" have to be "massive" before it's a danger? Wasn't aware in this thread up to this point there was any criterion for minimum size of threat.

Haven't seen you quantify the threat drag presents or anything.

• You're really using David Cameron as a defence?

The fella who didn't believe in Brexit but brought forward the referendum in order to try save his own political hide?

I have repeatedly stated that any threat - whether it's from a fringe far-right lunatic or some Islamic extremist - should be taken seriously.

What's missing here is nuance. Because I simply do not see evidence of some "far right / fascist" takeover of the West.

Recent elections do not prove it. Statistics do not prove it. Nothing backs up that radical claim.

So yes, treat these hate groups and terrorist organizations seriously. They pose a legitimate threat, even though they are in a tiny minority.

But what's happened over the past number of years is that moderate right-wing people (or opinions) are re-fashioned as "Neo-Nazi" or "fascist", or the new popular one, "proto-fascist" (how Ron DeSantis is now referred to by some).

And when you label and demonise moderate right-wing people in this way, grouping them together with the actual fascists of the world, you're losing perspective of the much bigger picture.

"As I've already said..."

"Human cargo" is also something you already said.

You're up there with the cheerful s guy in terms of being taking seriously.

I simply do not see evidence of some "far right / fascist" takeover of the West.

Group literally tried to takeover Germany

Group literally tried to takeover the United States, kidnap governors, nullify elections, etc.

I sense you're trying to argue this in a special and gilded sort of way: "I don't see evidence that all the right wing bad guys are in the same bunker, plotting the exact same takeovers together, intent on power-sharing the west" -- if it's not all the 1 takeover in the west, you don't see any takeover attempts in the west, and don't think they should be taken seriously... but children at drag story time, that's what we need to freak about.

That's an appropriate image.

Bolsonaro was defeated at the ballot box.

Trump was defeated at the ballot box. Not just at the general election, but also Trump-backed candidates were defeated at the midterms (they performed worse than non-Trump backed candidates).

Which proves my point.

Electorates are not moving in huge numbers toward some far-right takeover. And that assumes if you consider Bolsonaro and Trump as fascists, which I don't accept to begin with.

What we do know is that the biggest threat to the West is not from the West, but from the East - from Communist China.

But nobody ever talks about that. How convenient.

Trump got 74,222,958 votes

Bolsanaro got 58,206,354 votes

I'll ask you again, what is your nebulous criteria for size to be a danger?

• Advertisement

Trump and Bolsonaro are not fascists.

If they were, they would have fought a civil war to maintain power. They instead stood down, in abject failure.

Trump and Bolsonaro are simply anti-PC loudmouths with some reasonably good policies.

Advertisement