Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Office, pub, community bake sale. Take your pick.

Throw a dart at a hamlet in Ireland and try repeating what you said about that place and see what response you get.

You only say what you're saying under the cover of anonymity. The most pleasant thing you'd get is an invitation to get out of town with insults ringing in your ears. And depending on the temperment of the individuals present, you may find yourself exiting with an unwelcome souvenir to remember your trip.

That's Malin Head to Mizen Head, and that's life.

You're on a big-time e-muscle flex here. You know what you're saying is not repeatable in public anywhere in this country, and with good reason. It's a short cut to getting yourself in well-earned trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Jesus where do you live and what kind of an upbringing had you?

Most of us hear far worse than that in the pub on a Friday night and people don’t get their head boxed.

I grew up in place knowing full-well that if you insult people with broad strokes and scutter you're liable to get a clip around the ear.

It has served me well. I'd know better than to run an experiment like the one I proposed. You were obviously never taught that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

So…the truth hurts?

People besmirch Dublin’s good name with talk of junkies and squalor. Doesn’t really “upset” me as in some parts I see their point and in others I see they haven’t a clue.

A violent reaction to comments like that could only come from the very people the comments describe.

Hopefully the Paymaster doesn’t set the provo “heavies” on Mr. Dukes. Either way, I’m sure Quinn would have no knowledge of it but wouldn’t be able to hide his believe that he deserved it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have no time for Quinn or that priest for different reasons which I can't say on here. Neither are good people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Quinn was a good FF man i'm afraid donated a good few pound to them back in the day.

What you just posted is exactly what Dukes was alluding to, a propensity for violence.

The irony of assaulting someone just because they say you have a propensity for criminality and violence, is lost on you.

Like I said Dav, pick a random hamlet in Ireland and go in there with p*ss and vinegar insulting them like you did in the post.

Let us know how you get on. Reality would hit you pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

To say Dukes said the wrong thing upsets people is an opinion, but surely looking at the programme and seeing a fella walk up to lads eating and throwing a cup of boiling water in ones face and beating the other fella for no reason. Has to be wrong in any bodies head and can’t be defended, then the real nail in Quinns legacy the beating of Kevin Lunney by hired and paid scum surely in any part of the country Is wrong in any person head and all Quinn had do was call out the people behind it and would have gained a bit of respect back

Nobody in this thread or anywhere else is defending that behaviour (save for Quinn in a tangential way).

But there are people in this thread, and evidently, people that occupied halls of power like Dukes that want to insist that it's endemic to the population of the region and to pin it on the character of the region.

Unacceptable Burlesconi crap and an insult to the cohesion of the country.

• Advertisement

Jesus. Is this still going on? The melodrama is strong in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH I have to say I think calling what was done to Kevin Lunney a "beating" downplays it. He was tortured with a stanley blade with the stated intention of leaving him scarred with the initials QIH, doused in bleach and had bones broken.

A "beating" conjures thoughts of someone being given a few slaps. This kind of savagery went far beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I get this, but the man also did a lot a lot of good for people. Huge drive and ambition and energy required. He did it. And many people’s lives bettered by him

Yes, I am fully aware his failings and wrongdoings. He’s human.

Regarding Lunney: one the most sickening acts of recent years.

Watching the doc, you’d have to wonder wtf our gardai and judicial system were doing that these scum were doing this for several years, and it took this horrific abduction for it to end..

These scum had support and deafness and indifference to it. Lunney was greatly let down by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Gusser09

At the end of the day Seanies legacy will be of only horrific and underhanded acts. He has ensured that he will be remembered as a bitter man with a dangerous streak. All of the good he done and the successes will be forgotten. That's really sad actually.

He had a chance himself to really stop the carry on of the thuggery that happened prior to the Lunney kidnapping which might have prevented that from happening. He could have really condemned the vandalism and threats which almost cost so many their livelihoods in that area but he didn't.

What Seanie and the Quinn's don't seem to grasp is the local community and the wider community owe him nothing. He needed a workforce and he paid them. It's a transactional type of thing.

He was indeed a shrewd and successful person. Of that there can be no doubt. But he was also very unsuccessful. That can happen to anyone but it's his actions and what he has inflicted on individuals and the country as a whole since then that will be etched into peoples minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Oh yeah, you'd never get away with calling a former Fine Gael leader and cabinet minister a politician.

And for what it's worth I didn't infer Dukes was a presently serving politician in the post you quoted, so I don't know who you're directing that to.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Christ almighty! Can you please shut up about Dukes or at least start a new thread on it? You constant referencing Dukes appears to seem intentful on diverting the discussion away from Quinn and solely on Dukes and his stupid comments.

Personally I couldn't give a sh1te at what Dukes said because I want to look at the bigger picture. If you took offence at it and refuse to acknowledge his public apology then please take it elsewhere. If you as (I suspect) as a SF supporter want to pin it on FG and gain political capital, then please take it elsewhere. I'm not a FG supporter (I do not support any party). Aside from meeting him in Mondello when he raced (I marshalled), I had no interactions with Dukes in the past. I just would rather discuss Quinn and his gambling on Anglo shares and how it affected the economy, the border area (where I spent much of my life), the dispicable campaign of intimidation and subsequent kidnapping and torture of his former star employee. I'm just tired of this thread being derailed over a side-matter.

• Advertisement

Separately, I just noticed that my Boards drafts page had a draft listed which I when I checked was this...

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 45,324 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Dukes was a clown for what he said. The main people jumping on it are doing so from a political angle. And the whataboutry folk of course.

It took nothing away from the documentary which was a car crash for Seán Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

In my post I stated a beating of Kevin Lunney and mistakenly Didn’t want to go into the gory details which wouldn’t be inflicted by any sane person and wasn’t downplaying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Very interesting programme but didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. He literally had it all and threw it all away, money and greed were the drug. I have always wondered if he was being poorly advised or ignoring advice. His companies were in the kids names and the fatal mistake was getting them to borrow from Anglo to pump back in.

Lack of regulation allowed him to do what he did but should Anglo have been left to go bang? Had he bought the shares outright he would have got stung but recovered. Sean Quinn had one of the best manufacturing business minds this country will possibly ever see and we'll never know if he could have worked his way out of the mess if given the chance.

Maybe you think Seanie and Fingers should have been given a chance as well to work their way out of the mess.

I believe that if he was given the opportunity to repay the debt we wouldn't be paying for it but that doesn't excuse what he did.

How? He is welcome to repay the debt using the money he allegedly has in Switzerland and India. However, he's had several years to do so!

Or do you mean let him have the companies back just to have another go at gambling away a fortune? Is he allowed play "double or nothing"?

And if he instead siphoned more money off for his detestable spawn, swindled, or gambled again racking up more debt, should we say, at least he tried?

Who says he has any? Dukes? His comments has had multiple local politicians speaking out due to his stupidity.

I don't know Quinn and I don't like the man for what he did but if he had some form of an agreement it is my opinion that it would have been repaid. Look at all the developers that went bang in 2008 and walked away. One in Cork this week had 170 million written off.

• Advertisement

Wasn’t he given the opportunity to make a deal if he came clean, then the next day a video surfaced of his son and nephew trying to sell a shopping centre in Ukraine and saying they would lie to the courts about the fact they owned it?

After all that, why do you think he would act honestly if he was given another chance to make back all the loses?

Advertisement