Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dayo Kayo

Probably been asked before folks but -

I bought at 530e recently and expected to have Android Auto in it, when I discovered it wasn't I presumed I could

upgrade and install it but now after doing a bit of digging it might not be possible. It looks

like I only have Apple Carplay (i think it's called...) Anyone have advice on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yeah bmw were slow to bring android auto. The new ones have it. When I was looking at 530e I resigned myself to switching to apple if I was going to buy the car, even though I don't particularly like apple.

That's really annoying. The Mrs also only bought me a new phone which is android so I wont be changing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I have just done a quick search, but I am not 100% on this information.

Its available on i drive 7, if you have an older version there is a box you have to install, https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category-android-auto-mmi-retrofit 600 $

Another search showed this, I might give it a try later.

Not android auto, copies some of the functions without having to take your car apart

Yea, I did see this but wasn't sure how reliable it was.

• Advertisement

Yeah I didnt want to buy an apple either, never bought car in the end so didnt have to. No idea why they were so slow to the android auto party but they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Hey Folks,

I am having an issue with scheduled charging the last few weeks and I was wondering has anyone else had a similar issue.

I have my 182 530e setup to start charging via my Zappi each night at 12 midnight and stop at 8am (night time rate). Never really had a major issue with this over the last 18 months. No settings or anything changed on the Zappi as its all scheduled via the car / the BMW app.

I’ve been pugging it in and lock the car now each night as normal around 6 or 7pm, and I get the app notification via the app that the schedule charging will start at 12am. However, more times than not, the car only starts charging at around 6/6.30am for some reason.

Anyone had a similar issue at all and how they fixed it?

Thanks

OR

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Maddic_Irl

I found the scheduled charge on the car a bit hit or miss, tbh I could have been doing something wrong or at least I thought it was a possibility, I just left the car on "charge immediately" and scheduled the Zappi instead which was more reliable, also don't need to mess with the car settings if charging somewhere else. Setting the Zappi also means the car will charge on solar excess if available during the day and top up at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

My limited understanding (guess) is, the car will start charging to finish just in time for departure.

Everyday is a school day and I feel very embarrassed I haven't been doing it this way previously..... Thank you

• Advertisement

Folks - New issue 😔

The "Charging socket flap open" indicator is displaying even though I have shut it. This was especially annoying when 20 minutes into my 3 hour drive yesterday that it began to audibly bing every 3 seconds for an hour on the motor way....

It’s a 182 so no longer in warranty. Anyone had this issue and manged a self-fix or am I bringing it in to a garage?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Other than the "Have you tried closing it really hard?" option I'd say you are looking at taking it to the garage - faulty sensor in the lock mechanism would be the guess.

I had a similar issue on a previous car with a faulty sensor on the bonnet latch, although that came with the added bonus of the "bonnet open" alert triggering the car alarm at all hours of the day and night.

Just on this, as I said, I usually set the charging from the car and use Eco mode so it charges at a reduced rate over the course of the night (At about 1.4kwh). With using Eco+ setting and using the Zappi to schedule, is there a way of getting it to reduce the charge rate to 1.4kwh? Its charging now at the max rate of the car which is 3.5kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Maddic_Irl

Not on the Zappi afaik, boost always charges at maximum but you can set the charge current in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

Any update on whether a towbar can be fitted to a 530E?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭WacoKid

My friend has once fitted to his 182 for towing his jet ski

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Hi,

Know very little about cars. My 182’s battery only achieving 17 kilometres on a full charge from Zappi home charger. 40k miles…

Thought it might be the cold but has remained constant at the 17…

any ideas much appreciated,

thank you.

Look at what kw the battery is taking for a full charge. 7 or 8 kw for a full charge indicates your battery is fine and it's the cold weather (lower battery temp., using heated seats more often etc.)

If it is taking on less than 6 or 7kw for a full charge then you may have battery deterioriation/damage. Figures quoted are not exact but I'd say not bad to use for intial troubleshooting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Appreciate that, thank you.

Not sure of which battery pack you have. Earlier ones were 9.2 kw that take about 7kw of charge. Sometime in 2018 (I think) they upgraded to 12kw battery packs that take 10kw of charge. Guessing you are the former but just to note when troubleshooting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just to keep you safe, our 2017 530e doing exactly the same the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Corporatemarky

If it’s at all comparable our 162 UK sourced 330e currently reduced from 31 km range at full charge in the summer to 24 km last 3 weeks…the small battery. 17 km is extremely low for a 530e.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

24km range showing here today on a 221 which has the bigger battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Is there anyone who could give me an idea on mpg for a daily 40km (each way) commute i.e. Naas to Sandyford, so mostly congested motorways. Will be able to charge at each end, and looking at bigger battery 530e

We are talking actual achieved range. Not what the GOM displays.

My 530e still displays 34km at 100% but achieves half that currently due to cold weather and short trips.

The relative drop in range is on par with my 80 kWh BEV for similar trips currently too so I wouldn’t be worried about it at all.

You'll be close to doing that fully on electric in ideal weather and traffic circumstances if you keep it at 100kmph.

Go faster, get stuck in traffic or have bad weather when you've the heating on high you'll certainly be using some petrol.

You're an almost ideal candidate for a phev though if you have a plug on both ends. You'll see great mpg overall on that commute. If you drive much in the evenings you'll be using petrol though I'd guess as it will be empty after your commute home and wouldn't have much time to charge.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed.. you should be able to cover 55/60+ kms of that round trip on full electric on most days.

On the newer 30e yes. With the 12 kWh battery you have a chance. I don’t think you’d do it on the 2017/2018 9 kWh version.

In fairness to BMW their reg driving recharge percentage we get is about 40%. In daughters 2021 Kia Nero plug in hybrid they get zero !!

• Advertisement

Even on the motorway the BMW gets it. Just on a 180km drive today in the PHEV Niro, and zero recharge created along the way

Advertisement