Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Is Seanie Quinn a Shinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Not it isn't.

You're seeing people in a number of counties offended at Dukes' slur and further p*ssed off at his non apology.

That's not SF and the sooner the penny drops and FG leadership get out ahead of this and repudiate Dukes bilge the better. Instead, formbook cack-handed instinct kicks-in, and FG man the barricades in defence of "one of their own" like arrogant idiots.

If FG try to spin-this into a SF conspiracy they're going to get paddled. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

This is genuinely something I could see Sean Quinn saying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The unwritten rule of boards: you can duck out of a good thread early or stick around until it descends into another SF vs FG bunfight

SIPO has records of Quinn Group dontations to Fianna Fáil in the early 2000s. Not huge amounts, four figure sums, but a regular donor nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Would have said more a me feiner.

Though the Shinners on here are very rattled for some reason.

To my knowledge, none of the regular "Shinner" posters are present on the thread.

Prominent FG die-hards are here though, speaking in defence of the outrageous comments from Dukes that now FG officials are calling for retractions and apologies for because they know it has legs.

They're hunkered down now trying to figure out what to do with the thread now that the wind has changed.

Tale as old as time. Post in haste, repent at leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, I am not a prominent FG die-hard, but I stand over every single word I have posted on this issue,

There is an issue in the border region, Dukes was right to call it out (albeit a bit clumsily), the permanently offended took offence, Heather is protecting her votes, Matt Carthy is foaming at the mouth, but people in the border region need to take a good long hard look at themselves and their neighbours and ask how and why so many of them marched in support of Quinn over the last decade or so and tolerated and allowed the public intimidatory warnings.

Absolutely shambolic post. The population of the border region is bearing down on on half a million people all-in. There was not half a million people marching in favour of Quinn. And even the ones that were were taken for a ride by the local big man and were afraid of their jobs vanishing. So no, the people of the border do not need lectures from anyone foghorning from a political foxhole because one of their grandees started spewing sh*te on prime time television.

You're scuttling away from the "in the blood" references to inherant violence that apparently lurks in the heart of border county denizen according to Dukes. If you stand over that, you're no better than him and you'll have to wear it. You'll wear it here, and you'll wear it in other threads.

I'll repeat, this is why people don't like Fine Gael and mistrust them. When they're caught rotten acting like pr*cks, they circle the wagons and man the barricades for the offending individual. Sound familiar?

For the record, there's far more than Carthy and Humphreys taking Dukes to task. It's obvious that the people in the counties think Dukes is a loudmouth arrogant fool, and by extension the FG pom-pom boys and girls going to bat for him, as well as the party.

This post shouldn't bother you all that much, because you're totally not a Fine Gael supporter right blanch?

Well there we have it, Dukes apologies on Today FM conceding his utterances were unjustifed and offensive.

Yet we had some of the pom-pom unit defending them to the death.

I know news moves fast, but for flip sake lads keep an eye on the WhatsApp group for the latest line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Drives me mad. The **** parasites have destroyed the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Sean Quinn's hatred of Kevin Lunney has left a huge question mark over him and regardless of what he says it will be there long after he departs this life.

Those complaining about Dukes, don’t forget that he would have sat opposite Quinn many times and would have had Quinn smirking back at him. I totally understand why he’d take the opportunity to smirk away while discussing his downfall. In the documentary, Quinn has this attitude that he’s untouchable and that’s after years in the wilderness. Imagine how bad he was when he had a few quid and Dukes was trying to deal with him?

On what he said in the documentary last night, he knew it would rile people up and that’s exactly why he did it. He wasn’t wrong though. We saw exactly what Quinn’s lackeys up that way were up to. €10m+ worth of damage done, ongoing and sustained intimidation of anyone that dared to speak I’ll of their daddy Sean and then those reptiles from the area that were interviewed who basically said the trouble was more than justified because outsiders dared to come into their community and break up the group. For people to have sat and watched that last night, and the previous two nights, and the only thing they take from it is a 10 second clip of Alan Dukes says everything you need to know about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On what he said in the documentary last night, he knew it would rile people up and that’s exactly why he did it.

Dukes, or Quinn...?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Dukes was 100 per cent right in what he said and everyone knows it.

Not every border person is a crook or violent but more than average compared to the rest of the country.

Menacing people with eyebrows on their cheeks. Ill-tempered and quick to anger. Think nothing of vigilante justice. Lads who love country music gigs and the brawls outside them. Bang of diesel off them.

Dukes said what everyone was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Pistolpete1

The bit I can't understand is why does he still own 1 to 2 billion in debt while all his business were taken over by IRBC?

Did these companies not make enough money since the take over to clear his debts? Or how are these debts still outstanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The companies were sold to clear a bit of debt. They aren't clearing Sean's debt now. Some of the profits are probably going to the American hedge funds as they expect to repaid. If he is bankrupt his debts are pretty much written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Sean Quinn went bankrupt in 2011

The debt with the company's bondholders seems to be on track to be paid off, as indicated by the documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Didn’t it say he owed 2.4 billion? The 0.4 had been paid off and out of the remaining 2 billion about 1 and a half would be going to pay back the Americans and that the rest won’t be paid back at all.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Dukes. The reference to Tipperary was blatantly on purpose. He had his fill of the mountain folk up in Quinn territory, he absolutely stuck it to them last night. I didn’t hear his “apology” but I dare say he was grinning while he made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Pistolpete1

All the companies must have been worth very little of most of the debt is still outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Would the US bondholders have been anything to do with Anglo or would quinn have had debts with them directly? Were they something to do with the CFDs I wonder?

I’m sure it was hard for Dukes to not express those sentiments towards Quinn. I’d say that Quinn treated him with undisguised contempt through the whole of their interaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Was a night behind and just watched episode 3. What little admiration I might have had for Quinn's business success was completely eroded by what was presented in episode 3. He is a contemptible individual, blinded by his own greed and hubris. The comments about Lunney were particularly despicable. Asking the question as to what Lunney may have done since his takeover of the company that would have contributed to his abduction and torture. Flagrant victim blaming delivered without an ounce of empathy. Quinn lashing out at the 'backstabbers' as he and his wife called them while being so ignorant of the irony of his backstabbing of Lunney, who he publicly lauded when all was going well at Quinn group.

Sean Quinn is a sore loser at best, and a ruthless dictator at worst. He had the power to stop all of the violence and intimidation, all he had to do was walk away from the business after he wrecked it. Admit his mistakes, pay his debts and move on with his reputation intact. But no, he believed that business was his god given right and he held rallies to whip up a frenzy. He didn't give a fiddlers if that meant that the local knuckle draggers and Provos would latch onto the cause to make some easy money. After the peace process there were plenty of guns / muscle for hire loitering around looking for work. Quinn may or may not have ordered or funded any of the violence but he is complicit. Had he let the business be sold off there would have been zero trouble. The carry on with the QBRC by him was the perfect example of his bad judgement and arrogance. Lunney, O'Reilly and McCaffery rescued the business and kept the locals employed. They even offered an olive branch to the bould Sean and give him a advisory position but that wasn't enough. It was total control or nothing. If Sean had taken that offer I guarantee you Lunney would never have suffered they way he did.

The priest bashing is interesting by the Quinns. The church are hardly bastions of integrity but everything that priest said hit the nail on the head. Never once named Sean Quinn. Congregation applauding. The truth hurts and the Quinn's just couldn't take it. The wife in particular is twisted from bitterness. The crocodile tears at the end were grim, he's only sorry because he got caught.

As for the Alan Dukes comments, they were crass but not totally wide of the mark. It's a sideshow to the main event. He'd have been better off keeping his powder dry and being more politically correct in his delivery. Essentially Quinn became a mafioso of sorts in the border region and given the history of the troubles there were more than enough hired goons floating about to facilitate intimidation. There's plenty of similar goons active in Duke's old stomping grounds in the greater Dublin area also so they're not confined to the border lands.

Overall, it was a well made and balanced documentary. Quinn couldn't control the narrative so he threw his toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭blackbox

Those who want to talk about Dukes, please start another thread.

This thread is supposed to be about Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Stanley 1

There are Judgements of 88m against each of the kids and I cannot remember any repayment schedule being formulated, guess they will be registered against any assets these "kids" have such as properties and revert to the State on their passing.

How QuinnBet was financed is anyone's guess.

Not aware of any allowance for Daddy and the Missus or for that matter - allowances for the kids, for what - failure, eating 100k cake.

With luck the stroke around Daddy's house will be reversed on his passing.

The Court and Reciver spent a lot of money chasing overseas assets, cannot see them missing stuff in Switzerland and India.

It's the usual whataboutery and attempt to take away from the substantive point - that Sean Quinn lost billions on a big bet, feels sorry for himself up in his big house, and every time one of us takes out an insurance policy for the next whoeverknows amount of years we will be paying for his bad bet.

Lets say a family with two cars and a house spend the guts of 2000 quid a year for insurance. They'll pay 40 quid each year because of Quinn for a very long time. They'll also pay extra in every pub, hotel, restaurant and business they purchase from because of him.

So spare me the crocodile tears, and the attempts to take potshots at Dukes, O'Toole, the local priest, and the lads who continue to run the companies up there.

That's before we get to the outstanding questions about who paid for a group of thugs to maim Kevin Lunney, create a campaign of intimidation against new owners buying viable businesses that continue to employ thousands; if the Quinn family and their associates managed to move capital overseas, and how that all plays into the impression that Quinn is using the lawlessness and underlying sense of subtle threat that exists up around the border to make a case for himself.

The thing Sean didn't grasp was the concept of "leverage". Gambling on CFDs you can lose far more than your stake.

Ironically he and/or his kids now run a betting company... they must be laughing up their sleeves at us. But Seanie could still get all moist-eyed for the camera and dish out the beal bocht.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The 2 billion the taxpayer is in the hole for because of him is never going to be paid back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

He owed 4 billion, the Americans got most of their 1 billion +, he paid 400 million and owed the rest, 2 billion

Advertisement