Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The mistake was bailing out Anglo. If we had guaranteed all the other banks, we could have got out easier. McWilliams told Lenihan it was a no-brainer and Lenihan, a seriously ill man at the time, fell for his schtick.

As it was, private pensions were lost, those whose pensions were in Bank of Ireland shares were wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Nowhere did I say it was a public road. The gates are at the entries to the quarry above swanlinbar and a cement plant at Ballyconnell. the Council maintained roads cross it at several points and have the right of way .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Lets see what tonight brings. Seanie has withdrawn his support of the series so that might be an indication of the content tonight and what tone it might take. He never really stood a chance in the world of banking or insurance. Its just too complex. Pure greed ruined him. Reputation in tatters too. People can lessen the cost of insurance levy and bailout all they want but Seanie and his sort cost ordinary men and women their homes and in some cases their lives. Their actions fuelled by their egos led us to where we were for a good 10 years until some sort of recovery sorted.

Remember when the carers grant was cut? Disabled terminally ill people used that for transport to hospital throughout the year etc. Well they had to find another way to the hospital. That is directly related to the shite that the likes of Seanie Quinn and them inflicted on us.

Thats just one example. The USC being a standout from that era.

And zero contrition shown. The sense of entitlement is disgusting. If you are sorry Seanie sell the mansion, live off the old age pension and pay the proceeds from the sale of the house off your debt. That might go some way to ensuring your reputation isnt in absolute tatters when yoy are buried.

Its the sense of entitlement which really annoys people.

100k wedding cake. Man of the people my bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

Got insured with Quinn direct when I was 20 on my first policy. Think I saved e800 with them over the next cheapest. Most crowds didn't want to know at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

Think we owe c250 billion, the banks going wallop cost 45 billion someone posted.

In the documentary last night he owed anglo 2.8 billion minus whatever the businesses/ properties were flogged for. I'd substitute nice for miniscule!

• Advertisement

There's a reason why they were undercutting. Quinn Direct was a ponzi scheme. It was only a matter of time before it failed regardless of financial crashes etc. If regulation existed and proper penalties were applied to white collar crime seanie would have been given a hefty sentence.

We can argue that the 4 billion the quinns owe is miniscule compared to the 250 billion but for one man to inflict that on ordinary people and not face reasonable sanctions is wrong. Only in Ireland.

We're not all as thick as those inhabiting Quinn country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Maybe. Hindsight at best. As it was it has worked out reasonably well considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In effect you paid them €800 for a piece of paper which was largely worthless. Some bargain.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

There's a book coming as well, written by the producer of the series. He's quid's in. Safe to say he won't be on Quinn's Xmas card list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

• Advertisement

**** deluded the lot of them.

Happy enough to proclaim him as the second coming of christ and the best businness man in ireland but at the same time say that he was a simple culchie and an easy target for them lot in dublin.

He didnt do anything wrong 😂 those properties were only resting in his account.

The training unit in the joy fair softened him and the son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

So he's going with that old trope, "it was the government's fault". Fcuk sake, this boll0x should be locked up for ever. Same line used for everything nowadays, no personal responsibility whatsoever.

It's exhausting, there's a lot of people in this country that need a real shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Xander10

Jaysus. Why would any multi national go up there with bullets being sent in the post and houses being burnt down. Nutcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Dukes is some craic. Called them all thick animals up that way and he hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Multi nationals invest in places like that all the time, its where lots of money can be made, cheap, whether its Venezuela or Nigeria or Mexico or China or what not.

Ballyconnell is hardly Medellín.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those tenners add up. Particularly if you're in business and find yourself with large insurance policies, stuck paying for the effective gambling debts of a charlatan that somehow has a bunch of devoted acolytes cause he gave a few quid to their GAA team or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You need to understand the sheer cliquey and clannish nature of rural Ireland, a local can’t be in the wrong when it especially comes to a local finding themselves in a dispute with an outside force , doesn’t matter what the local has done, we see this all of the time, it’s just amplified multiple times in the case of Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Is it me or is his house not especially appealing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

At the end of the day Quinn Country is/ was like a little Gaelic kingdom and Quinn saw himself as the local chieftain. If he'd just stuck to that he and we'd be mostly grand but he wanted to be the Ard Rí and that's where he came unstuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭almostover

Same as the swathes of people who naively overborrowed during those times to fund their mortgages, cars and holidays. All in the name of keeping up with the Joneses. The government or the banks can't be fully blamed for that either as some with like to do. Ultimately, a decent proportion of borrowers took leave of their senses and as a nation we paid the price and had to bail them out. What the banks did at the time was reprehensible but individual borrowers could have insulated themselves from that with financial prudence.

Quinn did the same, but on a grand scale. I've only watched the first 2 episodes and will catch up on the third tomorrow night. It's a well made documentary. The background is important, he did well for a long time and built a great business. But he got greedy and pissed it all away with risky gambles on Anglo. And instead of admitting his mistakes, he doubled down, and started down a path of hiding assets, illegally taking money out of the insurance companies reserves to cover his losses and he never entertained relinquishing his control on the company. He made some huge mistakes and didn't have the humility to take responsibility for them. I can't see how anyone could defend him, his hubris is off the scale. Being a successful businessman doesn't make you immune to failure or above the regulations, Seán seemed to think otherwise. He played the game of capitalism and won for many years, but he eventually lost and couldn't take it. If you live by the sword you must die by it.

Looking forward to episode 3......

What a scumbag.

Quinns and their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Disproportionate amount of odious, brainwashed and backwards scum in that "community."

The best bit was when he went to jail, pity it was only a short stretch.

Yeh Sean. I bet you knew Dublin Jimmy.

Hard to know who comes out worse here, Quinn, the kids, or some of the locals.

Nah. Its when they thought they had a deal done for the hotel and it was taken off the table. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭amacca

Did he actually say that? 😂

I can't watch atm

• Advertisement

“I knew him yeah, he doesn’t like the nickname Dublin jimmy”

10 seconds later “I never talked to him”.

Advertisement