Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

Everything I stated there is factual, Seanie contributed with his big gamble and lost, took the ordinary Irish citizen with him to the gutter.

Don't forget USC was directly attributed to the bailout of which Seanie was a main cause.

If every pay slip had a real breakdown of where the USC goes, mentioning why it is in place and who caused it, the public would be better informed.

You are probably one of the CIC crowd who marched for Seanie in 2012. He lost control of his assets as he gambled and LOST after disastrous investments in Anglo Irish Bank.

No different to betting the house on red and black comes up, except he didn't do it with his cash!!

The worst bit then is he is the victim, if he was in Iceland he and the rest of the Golden Circle, the Maple 10 and his 6 kids would most likely be in jail, but this is Ireland, where there are no consequences for architects of our massive national debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

He broke a **** ton of rules by not declaring his interest in Anglo with the CFDs. Also took money out of regulated business. The one thing the USA takes seriously is white collar crime. He would be in a orange jump suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Strictly speaking, our national debt ballooned on the back of a collapse in tax revenue and an explosion in social welfare expenditure.

The bank bailout, while very expensive, accounts for less than 15% of the national debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Anyone who calls him Seanie knows nothing about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone who calls him Sean knows everything about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Quinn took money from a regulated entity to prop up failing parts of his empire if you're caught at that at the scale that Quinn was doing it in the US you're going in an orange jumpsuit he also hid his involvement in Anglo lied to shareholders etc very big no no's in America.

Post edited by TipsyMcStagge on

My own view is that he’s never taken proper responsibility for the mess he created- there’s always “others” mentioned- ultimately it was his decision to invest in Anglo with money he didn’t have. Compliance and the law were not high on his list of priorities but yet banking and insurance are very much based on rules and regulations, no matter how lax an attitude there was in the 2000s.

Then trying to place assets beyond the reach was again an act which showed no respect for the rule of law.

Greed and ego is what I’m getting from the documentary- had he stuck to the knitting he’d still be doing what he once did well, today. There’s too many people out there on the breadline for me to feel sorry for a former multi billionaire - he’d have a lot more respect from everyone today had he held up his hand at the time and said “I did wrong”- whatever he’s saying now is way too little and way too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think ultimately Sean Quinn kind of ran his businesses like a local corner shop - sure my name is over the door, it's all my money

He was prob trying to take over the bank and add that to the group, and used the CFDs to do it under the radar, trying to be a cute hoor about it. If it was 5 years earlier it might have actually worked, if he just bought the shares outright with cash he might be ok as well - would have lost a fortune but wouldn't have been sucked into stealing the money from quinn direct or owing billions to anglo/ibrc, which was his ultimate undoing

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭techman1

But they knew that Quinns cfd exposure in the bank was a disaster and that it needed to be unwound. At least if they got the 25% holding into straight shares that would have been out of the control of the speculators as Quinn and the others could have just held the shares. Even after they tried to rescue him and the bank Sean Quinn bought more cfds . If Quinn had been upfront with fitzpatrick and drumm earlier they might have been able to salvage the situation, they knew alot more about this stuff than Quinn

The thing about cfds is that quinn did not own the shares so speculators could speculate on his holdings forcing him to keep pumping in millions for margin calls.

If quinn had done this earlier he could have rode out the problems although he still would have owned a bad bank but he would out of the control of the speculators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

He is involved in the programme precisely because it makes ‘good TV’ therefor impacts on the viewing numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's the ones that call him Daddy I really worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭purplefields

Sean Quinn did not force me to pay:

• Income Levy
    • USC
    • Property Tax (LPT)
    • Failed attempt at Water Charges
    • Insurance levies

All of these new taxes were introduced by Fianna Fail and are continued by FFG. It is the Government I blame 100% for all these extra taxes I am forced to pay because of their mismanagement of the country. They could have made it so that it was not possible for Sean Quinn to do what he did. When the collapse did happen, they could have made it so that I didn't have to pay.

FFG have cost me thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

You mean his minions that call him a great fella? He wouldn’t piss on them if they weren’t working for him and making him money. This myth about him being a man of the people and looking after everyone is exactly that, a myth. He paid people a wage for making him money. If he could have gotten people in for cheaper he’d have done so. It’s called business.

Quinn didn’t give one toss about any of the people he had working for him. He was hell bent on gaining as much power as he could get. He didn’t give a shït about his children either, to say he was doing it for them is just lies. The man had a massive ego and it was his downfall. How those morons up that side of the country can still back him is just ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Maybe so but the Insurance Levy would not be there if wasnt for Quinn.

You can interpret it any way u want.

Government taxing people, shock horror - what do u expect them to do? Hand out lollipops..?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭purplefields

Taxes are meant for paying for services and helping less fortunate.

Not to be charged on innocent people to bail others out because of gross mismanagement of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The business was kept local, headquartered local. Executives were local lads who had gone to college. Their parents had worked for Quinn. No one who was going to rock the boat had a senior job there.

No outside influence, no international consultants brought in to make the place more efficient or check all the books were above board.

It was an empire controlled by one man and he made sure it was kept that way.

‘I brought jobs and industry to this region’. Doesn’t mean you get to make up the rules to suit yourself and blame ‘them up in Dublin’ when it all blows up.

He’s still living in a nice house, despite everything. Anyone with eyes in their head wouldn’t be supporting him or paying any attention to him.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'd say there is a nice percentage of Usc can be attributed to Sean Quinn.

• Advertisement

I think 'preventing the outright collapse of the financial system' is a form of service.

But sure look - I agree with you, Sean Quinn is a scholar and a gentleman. It was all those dastardly politicians.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Taxes are meant for paying for services and helping less fortunate.

What Facebook page was that written on? Taxes are for many things apart from what you've mentioned above.

Not to be charged on innocent people to bail others out because of gross mismanagement of the country.

Had the government not bailed out the banking system, what do you think would have happened? Where would peoples private pensions have gone? Where would peoples savings have gone? How many job losses would there have been as companies are forced to close because they can't get credit? How much would all that have cost us?

That the government allowed a culture of light-touch regulation take hold (despite what @blanch152 reckons) which led to greed bolloxing up the economy does not mean that the course of action to recover wasn't one of the better options available at the time. That those responsible haven't been brought to justice is also a different matter. I guess we could ask (and in no way defending his actions) - did Quinn or any of the others break the law? If not (and I don't think so), do we need to change the laws to prevent what they did being repeated?

The insurance levy amounts to what on a standard policy? Not even a tenner. you would think it was €100s to listen to some of the whinging on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Madeoface

Iirc the nephew Peter Dara Quinn never served or purged his contempt of court. Or did he? Has he never been back in the jurisdiction I'd wonder.....

Sean Jnr paid over 200k iirc and the bauld Sean SR had a few days in the pokey...

Is all this chicanery ahead in episode 3?? Won't help the wanting to be forgotten brigade / shareholders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Regulate effectively/ ensure their departments have the regulators on their toes.

Mica, Fire Safety, Financial System and many more the list goes on. What's the next scandal.

If they were regulating effectively, had proper controls and checks in place, and harsh penalties/sentencing for white collar crime we wouldn't be paying all these nonsense taxes for chancers like Quinn being allowed to run amok.

I see that posters point. What's the next stupid levy we are going to have to pay?

Its beyond ridiculous, I didn't cause any of this shite yet the amends come out of my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

I don't want to know anything about the clown, for sure don't want to be looking at him on national TV, looking for sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Truly bizarre. According to Google Street View it's all in Co Cavan and yes you can 'drive' along it including through the plant - pictures taken last year. Doubt the old regime would have let Google in...

There are a few places where it crosses a public road and it has yield signs - even though the public road it crosses is only a gravelly boreen with grass up the middle. Maybe an admission of the dubious legal status of this 'road'?

Been patched up in a few places. Hopefully not public money maintaining it.

'Lucky' with planning permission is right.

Life ain't always empty.

The road was already there for the most part. He upgraded it. Don't worry not a cent oF public money has been spent maintaining it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So he 'upgraded' a public road, made it a private road with access gates at each end and dodgy signs, is that it?

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement