Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hearing is fine. House is well insulated though so that might be key. It's nowhere near as bad as it was 3 or 4 year ago.

To say you can hear trains and motorway noise from Moyglare Hall isn't believable. I spend a lot of time up there and can tell you that's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I live in MH, and you absolutely can hear the motorway and trains on quiet evenings - from the garden, definitely not in the house.

When there's low heavy clouds (like if it has just been snowing) we can hear the announcements from the train platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Same here I live in Moyglare Hall and the noise of the motorway is definitely audible, particularly on a calm night. It's not disturbing but you can hear it along with the trains at the station you can hear the driver sound the horn as he pulls off and the engines rev up for departure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DART units will be a lot quieter, in a billion years when that project is conpleted...

I actually dread the works for that starting as any railway type works occurring at night are audible all over the town particularly rail grinding and vegetation control!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We might not have to worry about it in our lifetime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭you2008

OH....... really? is not in the Gov 2030 planning ( or whatever its called) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

There are smaller ones coming up, I think. That one at 725k is a five bed, I think there's another couple of them. Then I think there's a couple of four beds to sell. Guessing now, but I'd say they'll be over 600k though. Might be a three bed too, but not sure, there were only 4 of them and I know 3 are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭crl84

Construction is due to start next year, should be finished by 2025 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 carlowqueen82

Interesting - thanks for the info. The real question is what is more sickening in Lyreen Lodge, the estate agent/developer looking for 150K extra for a house (at 725K for 18 Lyreen Lodge) in the space of a year or the estate selling off houses to the council for dirt cheap. - example of one hit the property price register today: €293K, sure why would you bother work or save! Word on the street is that there are 3 or 4 of them at least in Lyreen Lodge.

• Advertisement

Just curious how do you know that's the council?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every new estate has Part V houses in it, unless the developer gets to move them to somewhere else with council agreement which is very, very rare. PPR prices are also ex-VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

This is one of my bugbears, council buying expensive houses to give to those on the social welfare.

Makes much more sense to buy 2/3 houses in a cheaper location for council/social welfare folk than one in a new nice estate.

Was looking at whats out there in Maynooth (coming from Dublin) but as someone has alluded to - Maynooth is like Dublin prices.

Very depressing seeing the price of houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 carlowqueen82

The way you know is on the property price register, it is shown as not having gone through for full market value - see screenshot:

Also the propertypriceregister.ie excludes the VAT correct! But the website I use adds the VAT in, propertypriceregisterireland.com so €293,782 is actually total, depressingly enough.

I've been speaking to a few friends local enough to area and two local estate agents, apparently they are massively struggling now to get footfall for houses given the unprecedented surge in pricing and people being quite nervous with economy/future of market. With offices opening back up, more and more people are realising that there no longer is a benefit or pricing advantage to buying in this commuter area. One estate agent even told me off record that they are encouraging sellers to accept offers quickly even if it's not as high as they anticipated given the incoming interest rate jumps, market and backlog for mortgage approvals

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭you2008

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Not saying what you said is not true, far from it, but that sounds crazy to me. Remote working is here to stay and even if it was to return I would have the view that Maynooth is and should still be a highly desirable area to buy / live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Solar panels not being connected is a depressingly common thing in new builds. Developer puts them in to satisfy regulations but the regulations don't stipulate that they have to be connected apparently... They're probably "working" in so far is if you pay someone to come out and connect them to the electrical system of the house they'll function fine, i.e. they're not broken, they're just not connected out of the box.

As a Maynooth resident, I really hope this does happen but completion of 2029 is a long way off and makes the omission of Kilcock even more startling. It's perfectly sited and suited to a similar scale if not bigger than the Dunboyne park and ride setup with easy motorway access and as yet undeveloped farmland. Having the terminus in Maynooth seems crazy the town is already a traffic blackspot at peak times so access from the hinterland will be difficult for anyone not on a bus route.

• Advertisement

I believe the problem is that there is only a single track through Kilcock, so expanding it (or even increasing capacity of existing services) would probably require CPOing land along the existing railway line to make space to install a second track, as well as significant work at the station/Shaws bridge.

The double track stops just outside Maynooth, hence most trains stopping there. It turns back into a double track on the Enfield side of Kilcock.

2029 would give ample time to get that done though I'd have thought...

It was double-tracked all the way to Longford up until the 1930s as it was the main Galway/Sligo line so space should be there and re-doubling shouldn't be that difficult. The track was redoubled as far as Maynooth as recently as the early 2000s. The issue with some of the bridges is likely clearance for the overhead lines but I'm sure there are engineering solutions for this and with the depot being in Kilcock it will be a shocking omission from the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Is there much of a benefit to Maynooth residents? The trains already run every 20 mins approximately.

The issue is the lack of direct express transport to Dublin city, there should be an express bus and trains each day.

Trains will be slightly quicker, quieter, cleaner; link with Metrolink at Glasnevin. There's also no capacity at peak times during term as it stands - despite lower passenger figures than 2019 still.

Frequently is a lot less than 20mins off peak currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I really don't see the big benefit to this without an expanded Connolly station I mean trains now frequently have to sit waiting outside Connolly for 5-10 minutes is that not just going to get worse with more frequent trains coming from Maynooth? Or am I missing something here? Will it not hinder the Sligo trains as well as they'll have to crawl behind all these poxy commuter darts the whole way?

There are track and signalling changes at Connolly (and an additional entrance to the station). There is likely to be another platform added at Connolly for the Enterprise upgrade too.

Some trains will serve a replaced Docklands station (moved to Spencer Dock Luas stop). Sligo trains will still have to mix, but as the DARTs will be faster than diesel trains it won't be as severe of a hindrance.

Glasnevin is the huge change here. This will let you change to the Kildare line and to Metrolink. It could easily become a busier interchange than Connolly.

For a lot of the city centre, it's as quick to get off at Broombridge and get the Luas in - now allowed as a free transfer on the 90mins tickets. There will be more frequent services to Broombridge when the Finglas extension opens if not before. This type of transfer is something people in cities with actual transport networks do all the time - we're only starting to get a network now.

The part 8 planning process has finally started for the small infill council estate on the Straffan Road

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

No - there's a 'new' road that went in about five years ago with a few houses off it, sort of opposite the Celbridge Road on the West side. It has a block of land that was otherwise trapped between estates.

Was going to be a private estate accessed off Old Greenfield back in the Tiger days but those plans expired. Council are planning 26 houses, 28 apartments and 11 duplexes and demolishing one existing house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Anybody looking at any of the latest new developments in Maynooth?

Some pretty high prices being asked.

Advertisement