Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New housing developments in Maynooth

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's going betwen Carton Court and Lidl, accessing the existing bus terminus.

There's no plans yet, even though it's funded for this year. KCC are not very fast at doing things.

I presume the intent is to move the bus terminus - it was intended ages ago to move it to the Crinstown Nursing Home, and there are even stops on the Meadowbrook Link Road for that plan; but that needs a new turning circle, may need more buses and drivers to account for the longer trip and would take away the option of using Circle K's toilet for drivers on layover. So wouldn't be popular with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I see that KCC managed to screw up the completion of Greenway to Leixlip. They have the funds but somehow they never issued the work permit and let the tender expire despite announcing it was ready to start last January!! The process has to start again so at least 6 months delay more like 12 - 18 months before it's done. A bit tongue in cheek but they managed to send a delegation to New York to mark St. Patrick's day this year so they can get it right when they want!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think it was Waterways that never issued the permit; but there's an obvious screwup on the councils side regardless. Note also how the ring road hasn't even gone to tender yet - nothing is ever done on time.

We've got vastly more effective councillors this end of the county than the last set (some severe deadweight gone for instance) but they can't replace the permanent staff of the council which is where the rot has long since set in

I heard that too but Waterways have been involved in every section of greenway with multiple councils and the Kildare/Dublin parts of both canal greenways are the slowest and currently the worst and that's no coincidence IMO. Nothing happening with any part of the ring road either we'll have to wait for Cairn to buy up all the land and build it at this rate they seem to have completed more road projects in Maynooth than KCC recently!

The ring road is also funded, and still nothing!

The new Cairn estate being built on the site of "Castlepark 2" as we referred to it much earlier in the thread, is going to be called Linden Demense. Presumably there's no Carton derivative names left to use.

If you live to the south of the town and haven't been out that way in the past, well, years I'd recommend going for a wander. Last time there was that much expansion of the town in a few years it was the mid 1990s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

Not 100% on the exact bounds, but yes

Thy're realigning the extremely poor bit of road further North than that shortly as part of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

I hope the road realignment includes connecting up the footpaths on the Dunboyne road and around the existing roundabout. How the mismatch of footpaths and missing pieces around here like this https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3848647,-6.5883624,3a,75y,320.7h,63.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbwyWcwwJdp5E_9oDpqhMcQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 was allowed to occur speaks volumes for KCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭crl84

Worth highlighting that that road will be closed from Monday 23rd May until late August for re-alignment/resurfacing/sewage and services works. Closed from Castle Park entrance down to the roundabout on the Dunboyne Rd.

• Advertisement

It's practically closed now anyway at least at peak with two sets of lights so that they can load trucks on the road rather than site!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Can't wait for the ring road to fix all the traffic problems.... 😂

Also massive lol at people asking for more roads to fix traffic problems while more house get built in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

If you build up a community of people in one spot then it's logical to give them a ring road so they don't travel through the town when they don't have to. What's lol about that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

How's it working for Galway? so good they are building another ring road...

More houses and more cars = more traffic = more roads = more houses and more cars.

Lack of paper public transport alternatives and willingness of people to move from cars is the issue. No amount of ring roads will solve this.

You also seem to be under the impression the ring road is being built because a community has been built in one spot, it's being built to allow further land to be developed into more housing estates. The new ring road will be a great help for the new estates I agree, but for moyglare etc I'd be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

The new ring roads will not do much for traffic, the people headed to Intel in the morning from the Straffan side will have an alternative to the motorway. And people headed to schools on the Celbridge road will have an alternative. At some point, the people in Moyglare will be able to get to Tesco on a road that's more or less parallel to the existing one.

The University traffic from the motorway to the college, still goes through the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The University one always struck me as odd. If it were me I'd be coming off at Kilcock and heading to the Uni that way. Avoiding the town of Maynooth at all costs.

What ever about Ring Roads there are alterations they could make now to improve things. The left turn from the meadowbrook link road at the straffan road is a joke. There is just no need for the footpath and the cycle lane to be that wide with a big green area in the middle. The left turn filter lane should be a lot longer.

The traffic Island outside the Glenroyal has been a shitshow since it went in and should be removed asap.

Kilcock's motorway exit is the wrong side of the town for many people to want to do that.

There is a vague plan for an arc of ring road from the Straffan Road to the Kilcock Road, but it could be three decades off. No lands to open up to developers to fund much of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Do you remember years ago when they did the traffic survey in August one year, and insisted they'd use "complex maths" to allow for the lower traffic?

And the Irish Open was on in, erm, Carton or the KClub but either way it ensured they got no school or college weekday traffic and absolutely mad weekend traffic due to the golf.

There was a KCC traffic insanity thread here which had someone randomly trying to defend every single misstep by KCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

Any idea what's happening with the rest of Mariavilla - all the student accomodation and facilities that were to go onto the Moyglare Rd, and the apartment blocks planned opposite Catlepark. Cairns were very quick in building the houses in the estate, and are absolutely flying now in the Castle Park 2 development mentioned above - but all the higher density building has completely stopped. Surely they should be completeing Mariavilla before starting another seperate development?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Galway's a city Maynooth is not. Galway is also wedged between the sea and the Corrib, Maynooth is not. The ring road built in Naas has fixed the traffic problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 igord

Hi all, I put down a deposit for a house in Mullen park but went for a second viewing today and realized that even with the development works off for the day the noise levels are crazy there. Now I'm second-guessing my decision to buy in. I read that the m4 road surfacing might be redone and that should reduce the levels, but by how much? I really wonder how the neighboring estate dwellers handle the constant noise, as I would imagine it's been at the same levels for a while.

If you are from the area, please share a thought or two, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

I live in another estate close to the N/M4 and you do actually get used to it. Not as close to it as you would be but I'm sure those houses (Mullen) have far better windows and doors. Think the road was due to be resurfaced a few years back but I heard something about a bus lane going in where the hard shoulder is and that's thrown all the works out for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I used to live in Moyglare Hall. You could hear the motorway on calm evenings from there. Along with the trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 carlowqueen82

Hi all, I've been reading back through a few boards over the last few hours trying to find more info on the estate Lyreen Lodge. Looks like all houses were for sale up until about a year or so ago, some hadn't sold and the developer took his time finishing them so he could whack the prices up and take advantage of the terrible property market. We would have been interested in purchasing because we're Maynooth born and bred but a house rising from 575 to 725+ in just over a year is daylight robbery!

Not only is this a €150k increase but it looks like they're looking for bids? i.e. MORE than the 25% extra they've already added on to the original price. The real question is where does the madness end? From reading threads, it sounds like most of the estate hasn't moved in yet either, so you'd be buying a house at more than 25% than your neighbours getting keys at same time and there's been info shared on shortened gardens, things missing that should have been included and massive delays. No doubt this all comes back to developer greed.

Can a new build even be sold through bidding? I found this old thread with the original prices of all units https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/113308779#Comment_113308779

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hi carlowqueen

We're buying there. Everything you say is correct! As scandalous as those prices are though, I suspect they'll sell them easy enough

If you want to know anything else, drop me a PM, I'll see if I know

• Registered Users Posts: 4 carlowqueen82

Thanks for the info and offer - really interesting! If I have any private questions - I'll certainly take you up on that Electric Nitwit!

Maynooth really seems to be in its' own bubble, when you look at Dublin and even more specifically at traditionally "affluent" areas - they are more or less on par with these kind of increases and prices! But if you look at the rest of the commuter belt like Newbridge, Naas etc - while they have all increased - nothing like Maynooth.

A few of our friends were interested originally in Lyreen Lodge back when it first launched, but timing wasnt quite right (babies, weddings etc). While timing is now better, the new price tag is generally considered by all our crew as totally wild and clear greed. I even heard a rumour from my cousin that the solar panels don't work that they were just for a box to be ticked? Please tell me this isn't true 😂 @Electric Nitwit you don't happen to know if there are any cheaper units cropping up in Lyreen?

That's BS. I live in Kingsbry and can barely here the motorway.

It's criminal really.

I know what I'd be buying at that those prices and budgets in mind. They aren't even detatched in Lyreen?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-4-the-arches-silken-vale-maynooth-co-kildare/3925865

• Advertisement

You may want your hearing checked. It's very noticeable in Kingsbry and in many estates further away too. The road surface is in an appalling condition and TII are not willing to replace it as the road is/was scheduled to be widened.

Advertisement