Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 2022/23 Cazoo PDC World Darts Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

paths to the semi finals (QF1 vs QF2, QF3 vs QF4)

Jonny Clayton vs MVG final for me but its so so hard to even try pick it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm very interested to see how Smith does now that he's finally won something.

Brutal draw for Willie O Connor

I'd fancy Evans to whitewash Sherrock

Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If she had blonde hair and a svelte figure it would be a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I'm so angry about this as I was last year.

People should not be granted entry to this or any other darts competition on the grounds of their gender.

Darts is one of those sports where there is no advantage for one gender over another.

There should be no separate competitions for women or men.

May the best person win.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

He's got a really tough start Wattimena is flying now. I really fancy the winner of Smith De Decker to take Mensur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Schedule of play released now too

I don't understand why they are mixing first and second round games. Is it just to get the seeds on stage every night to draw the crowds/viewers? First night is the only night a 1st round winner plays their second round where Peter Wright will play either Mansell/Robb who themselves start off the tournament in an earlier game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah, it's basically that. They've always had one 'headliner' in each early session, usually a 1-16 seeded player who they hype the session around. Rather than having a session with four 'unknown Eastern European' v 'Asian qualifier' type games.

Just the way they've always done it since they expanded to 72 and then 96, though probably not necessary now as the standard of the Round One players has dramatically improved and the matches could be sold on their merits. Up to about 10 years ago there were some dreadful matches in this round (they didn't even let them play sets, it was just best of 7 legs)

e.g. Here's the prelim round of 2012. Best of 7 legs and games being won with averages as low as 73. These games needed to be hidden on the card.

2012 PDC World Darts Championship - Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There's a lot that I agree with there, but some I'd question. Different womens competitions is no bad thing. It gives experience. Especially the matchplay which takes places alongside the mens and gets these players out front and centre on the big stage and has it competitive. If they were lumped with the lads, they'd be gone early on or maybe not qualify at all. No problem with separate competitions for men and women, and no problem incentivising the tournament with places in the big premier events.

I'd see the womens entry via their OoM or certain torunaments as no different to Asian qualifiers or North American tournaments for example where they determine those qualifiers.

Though i would like to see the women try for tour cards and if unlucky to go to the challenge/development tour and compete there in addition to the ladies only tournaments. It's a little unfair to not bother in Q school, or fail knowing they have the backup of a womens only tour whic can land them in the big premier events without the same effort.

That's a trip down memory lane my personal favourite is Co Stompe whitewashing Michael Smith and Klaasen wrapping up Peter Wright 3-1 gave me a giggle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yes, provided he gets into the world's Top 64 he'll keep his card for another year. Easier said than done though, as it stands the current projected Top 64 cutoff is £56,750 which means Danny with only £22.5k to his name needs Round 4 at the very minimum (so beating Matt Campbell, Mervyn King, and one of Rob Cross/Scott Williams/Ryan Joyce); and more likely a quarter final given the potential for that cutoff to go up (so probably also needing to beat Gary Anderson/Chris Dobey).

• Advertisement

For our own mental I hope it doesn't happen but if England were to make a World Cup final/3rd/4th playoff it could cause quiet the headache for the PDC

Maybe starting the afternoon sessions back an hour or 2 earlier might be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

They are doing that i believe. I saw some schedule earlier where some afternoon sessions are starting at 11am and the evening ones at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭US3

Just starting my betting for this, see Aspinal is 8/1 to win his quarter. Why such big price, Clayton and Wright are really out of form and Rock doesn't have experience. Lump on I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Good record at the World's too, I'll have some of that myself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Rock is the in thing at the moment. Clearly he's a good player with huge potential but he's done nothing on TV yet. It's all just hype at the moment. He's joint 5th favourite to win the whole thing which is insane for someone who has never made it past the L16 of a TV tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭US3

Ya when you look at his possible route to the final aswell it's mental that he's fancied so much.

2 more days til the 'real start'of Christmas

No doubt every player is thrilled to get the chance to play in the championship but there must be relief for the rest of unseeded players after the first 2 are drawn. Really is a horrible draw to have to play 2 games in the same session on opening night

It's just one player is it not?

It could go both ways. Play well in first game and bring confidence into the second game. Play bad and don't.

2 players in Round 1 winner facing current champion in Round 2 later that night

Not the case for the rest of the championship with the R1 winners getting a small break before the R2 game

• Advertisement

Yeah, so one player must play twice the opening night.

If this wasn't the case you wouldn't have any 2nd round game and thus a "headlining" seed on the first night. It's also tradition i believe for the reigning champion to play the first night which couldn't happen if you had no second round game.

Even at that i don't really see the problem. Players should and probably are used to playing multiple games in a day. UK Open - they could play 3-4 games a day i believe. Recent edition of the PL, players played up to 3 games in an evening.

Anyway looking forward to the Championship

Ill go with MVG to win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The most ridiculous price I’ve ever seen.

He has a ton of potential, that’s pretty much it as this stage.

Has no chance of winning this, should be 100/1 shot.

Maybe the Bookies don't want a repeat of Rob Cross

You'd be better off back Cross at 33s than throwing money away on Rock at 14s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Be very interesting to see how he handles the long format games

Don't think he's a 100-1 shot but yes 14-1 is nuts, especially when you looks at the players available at 33's and higher - Cross, Aspinall, DvdB, Noppert

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah don’t get me wrong I’m looking forward to seeing him play in it and hope he does well.

Rob Cross had done a lot more before the 2018 Worlds and he was about the same price.

100/1 might be a touch big but while I don’t think the following players will win they are as capable of a deep run to the quarters as he imo.

Barney 80/1

de Sousa 100/1

Ratajski 125/1

Gurney 125/1

Lewis 150/1

Think Gurney will be one of the seeds too go in Round 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

State of Wright 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mansell, Barry, wattimena, wright my shouts for tonight.

First game v difficult to call

Advertisement