Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 NFL regular season thread - discussion (no picks)

• 14-11-2022 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,941 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A thread for discussion in the NFL regular and hopefully we get it going during the games.

Standings as of now below.

AFC East

1 Miami Dolphins 7-3

2 New York Jets 6-3

3 Buffalo Bills 6-3

4 New England Patriots 5-4

AFC North

1 Baltimore Ravens 6-3

2 Cincinnati Bengals 5-4

3 Cleveland Browns 3-6

4 Pittsburgh Steelers 3-6

AFC South

1 Tennessee Titans 6-3

2 Indianapolis Colts 4-5-1

3 Jacksonville Jaguars 3-7

4 Houston Texans 1-7-1

AFC West

1 Kansas City Chiefs 7-2

2 Los Angeles Chargers 5-3

3 Denver Broncos 3-6

4 Las Vegas Raiders 2-7

NFC East

1 Philadelphia Eagles 9-0

2 New York Giants 7-2

3 Dallas Cowboys 6-3

4 Washington 4-5

NFC North

1 Minnesota Vikings 8-1

2 Green Bay Packers 4-6

3 Detroit Lions 3-6

4 Chicago Bears 3-7

NFC South

1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 5-5

2 Atlanta Falcons 4-6

3 Carolina Panthers 3-7

4 New Orleans Saints 3-7

NFC West

1 Seattle Seahawks 6-4

2 San Francisco 5-4

3 Arizona Cardinals 4-6

4 Los Angeles Rams 3-6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,941 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great start for the Eagles, forced fumble and a couple of plays later Hurts is in the end zone for the td and a 7-0 lead.

Great response from the Commanders with a real good drive finished off with Gibson punching it in. 7-7 with 5 minutes left in the first.

And an excellent drive by the Eagles which took about 3.30 mins ending with a fake run by Hurts from the five yard line and then a dunk over the line to Goedert. 14-7 Eagles with 1.30 left in the first.

This is some game. Commanders got stopped for a field goal then picked off Hurts. A 16 play drive then finished by Robinson punching it in for the go ahead td. 17-14 Commanders with 1.39 left in the second.

Great first half for the Commanders. Philly went three and out and Washington drive up the field into field goal territory and Slye slots it from 58 yards to give the Commanders a 20-14 halftime lead. Eagles unbeaten run under serious threat.

• Advertisement

Trivial stat, the two receivers with the most runs out of the backfield this season are both named Samuel, that's Deebo and Curtis and no they are not related.

Eagles went three and out on the opening drive of the second half. Commanders put together another long, impressive drive but the Eagles succeed in stopping them from inside the five yard line, Washington take the field goal to make it 23-14 and a two score lead.

Eagles need to drive and score now or they are in big trouble.

TD Philadelphia, another long impressive drive, we've had loads of them in this game. Commanders lead 23-21.

Poor throw from Heinicke is intercepted. Eagles have the ball and the opportunity to take the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Atrocious miss by the officials. Clear facemask but that can't be overturned.

• Advertisement

Goedert catches the ball and his facemask is grabbed and it leads to a fumble which is ran back for a touchdown but he was down by contact. Officials missed the facemask and can't do anything about that in review so it's a fumble and Washington have the ball.

And the last unbeaten team is no more. Commanders take down the Eagles in Philly 33-21. Very surprising result with the Eagles coming off a ten day break between games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kind of interesting how one defeat changes the perspective (or maybe it's just me).

But I go from looking at the Eagles schedule and seeing who they are going to beat up to instead looking at it as to where there are more potential pitfalls.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles season - Wikipedia

Clearly they'll be OK, but trips to Dallas and NYG suddenly look trickier, @ Bears is interesting, Tennesse and Green Bay home games have potential etc.

In hindsight it was a game changer. I think the Eagles would have taken the lead there and it would have been a whole different game.

Well it really was inexplicable. They had a mini bye having last played on a Thursday night.

It was both sides of the ball too. Defense allowed a lot of long drives and the offense couldn't get it going in the second half, they scored one touchdown and no field goals in the final three quarters.

Washington had the ball for 40 of the 60 minutes.

How many times do we hear about time of possession. Halftime in Green Bay, Titans 19 mins 25 secs, Packers 10 mins 35 secs and the score is 14-6 Titans.

Titans won it by ten in the end. Tanehill had a good game, Henry kept working hard without major success but did enough to drain the clock.

The one positive for Green Bay was that they now know they have a special one in Christian Watson who had a couple of nice catches for another two touchdowns to add to the three from last week.

Rodgers looked like a guy who'd prefer to be anywhere else but where he was. I think we'll see him move on in the off-season whether that's retirement or a team with nice offense and Superbowl aspirations.

Just thinking that the Jets might look for a one year rental and sit Wilson behind a great one like Aaron. He could follow an eerily similar path to Favre where he could end up in Minnesota after a year in New York. Those are two teams which seem a decent QB away from being serious contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

Rodgers on the Jets would make for a pretty nuts AFC East. I suspect he will want to avoid the orginisation but the Commanders also have a ton of talent without a QB.

An issue with having Wilson sit for a year is that it is the year New York need to decide whether or not to use the 5th year option or not. As Wilson is likely to play 75% of offensive snaps in two out of his 3 years (his first 2 and then sitting behind Rodgers in this scenario) and is unlikely to make an original ballot Pro Bowl that would mean he would get the average of 3rd through 20th QB salaries. For this year it would be 18.5 million or so I believe.

However I suspect they are pretty much ready to move on pretty shortly and would take Rodgers and be expecting to cut bait with Wilson after year 4 unless he shows a massive, massive improvement.

As an aside it is interesting to see that any further improvements to the 5th year salary is purely tied to original ballot pro bowls in the first 3 years. 1 nets the player the average of the top 10 players at that position and 2 nets the player the average of the top 5 if the team wants to keep the player. It seems to be original ballot so for QBs currently in the first 3 years of a rookie deal I believe only Herbert has an original ballot appearance.

Edit: over the cap estimate the 2020 QBs 5th year option to be 22.6 million for a similar situation to Wilson so guessing more than that.

Post edited by Christy42 on

Some catch be Kmet there.

Chiefs are unreal. They really shouldn't have won that game tonight but they did. Just pure will to win and Mahomes class. A bunch of unkown receivers had 196 yards between them. That tells the story of the class of the quarterback.

• Advertisement

It's a fair bit further to Mexico city from San Fran than Arizona but there's a huge 49ers crowd at this game. Obviously lots of Mexican niners fans.

Jimmy G was excellent tonight throwing four touchdown passes in a 38-10 thumping of the Cardinals which is just about to end. The 49ers starters on both sides of the ball deservedly got to sit for most of the fourth quarter.

Cliff Kingsbury's time in Arizona must be coming close to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There isn't any other defense in the league that you'd want your young QB to go up against to build a bit of confidence but obviously Saleh felt he couldn't put Wilson out there again.

I'd say most of the remaining support Wilson had in the locker room dissipated when they saw his post game presser on Sunday. He cost himself his job.

Yeah they could possibly take bad play for a little longer if they felt he was working and everyone knows he has the talent, especially as the Jets didn't have anyone breathing down his neck to begin with.

However the presser showed he doesn't see the issues. He needs to focus more on his own mistakes as opposed to whatever his team mates did wrong. And doubly so for press questions, don't blame your teammates even if you did play well.

I will be curious what happens to him in the future. He can't play a back up style of QB so hard to see him making it as a long term back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭cosatron

Does he have the talent though? He's the only 1st round QB taken last year that I was almost certain would bust. Then the Jets drafted him and it was almost a lock in my mind. Obviously since the draft we've discovered the Jets now have a competent FO and coaching staff, so this time they aren't to blame for their 1st round QB failing. It's all on him.

He had an up & down 2019 to the point the BYU coach wouldn't even commit to him as the starter for 2020 following the season. He wasn't on a single draft board, then COVID happened and he put up mad stats (33 TDs to 3 INTs) against weak opponents who didn't cancel their seasons. Add in the pro day where he made a perfect off-balance throw 50+ yards down the field that was replayed on TV a million times and suddenly he was everybody's QB2. The tape wasn't there to back up that level of hype.

If COVID didn't happen and he had to play 6 power 5 teams (as was scheduled) instead of the likes of North Alabama it's entirely possible Kellen Mond & Davis Mills would have come off the board before him. Nobody in football benefitted from COVID more than Wilson.

My definition of talent is just the ability to throw the 50+ yarder off balance and his speed. I guess raw physical tools would have been better phrasing. Essentially I can see why someone might think they could mold him into a good QB.

I agree, his shoot up draft boards was weird. Even his good season wa largely throwing contested go balls. It showed off the arm talent but never his decision making.

I wonder how much of it was also the Jets seemed to make up their mind super early into the process and so people went on to the more interesting draft picks.

Great drive from Mac Jones to tie it up after the impressive Vikings drive.

Now if our defense can learn from that opening Vikings drive and stop them here.

Three and out and almost a pick. Patriots back on offense.

• Advertisement

That loss hurts, a running into the kicker penalty cost us dearly.

Mac Jones got some projection tonight for the first time this season and showed how good he is throwing 28 of 39 for 382 yards and 2 TDs with no picks.

Trevor Lawrence has been incredible on the last few drives for the Jags today. Massive throws to almost certainly win the game.

Some insane throws and really cool on the 2 point conversion. My heart was in my mouth for that Tucker field goal attempt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BilboNaggins

Patty doing patty things as usual.

Kc looking like they going through the gears slowly, 10 to 3 clocking winding to half time. JuJu takes it inside the 40 now to close the drive out.

When I seen it was accurate I was certain it was good but he came up short. Delighted for the Jags.

First quarter just ended, Jalen Hurts 33 passing yards, 103 rushing yards and this is high scoring. Missed pat means it's 14-13 Packers at the end of the first but Philly are 2nd and goal at the 2.

Rodgers looks really good tonight.

• Advertisement

Packers missed pat and it's 20-20 halfway through the second quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If Jordan love somehow wins this, there's gonna be some interesting questions asked in Green Bay tomorrow.

All over now 40-33 to Philly.

I think Rodgers is done with the Packers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay down with the injury for the rest of the season and let Love at it. If he works out then Aaron can walk at the end of the season.

Love looked very good tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭boccy23

The Seattle real 12th man was bizarre. Will they get in trouble I wonder??

I agree AR is gone from GB. Love is disliked but I'd say he could swing favour if he matures as a QB. Every week I'm waiting for eagles to fall apart, looks like 2017 but chiefs pip them to it this year.

• Advertisement

i wouldn't say love is disliked, i think there is dislike for the pick by the gm at the time when we needed a wide receiver badly and could've moved up 3 spots to Jefferson. It really doesn't matter who is at qb when your defence gives 500 yards and 29 first downs, one move i really want to see is Joe Barry fired, he was a bad hire as the time and has shown to be so, considering the amount of first round draft picks on defence.

The impression i got was loves arrogance drew him into direct conflict with GB fans due to their loyalty to AR. Its becoming a bit of a circus from top to bottom at Green Bay for the potential they actually hold is scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It was the same when Favre (my all time favorite QB) was being pushed out. The packers got bad value for his career too. Having two all time greats at the position concurrently for 2+ decades and only 2 SBs to show for it is terrible.

No one knows what Love is, at this point, but once you write off the season it doesnt make sense not to throw him in and evaluate. You won't get much back for trading him now anyway.

i know its crazy, favre was the reason i started following the packers. We just make life so hard for ourselves. The only 2 times we had legitimate defences in my time following the packers we won 2 superbowls after that, there has been miscues, mistakes, fumbles, etc

Not a packers fan here, patriots fan for 20 years+ but always had a soft spot for GB. Its a similar transition for GB now that NE is going through after Brady.

Its very like the Favre situation with a first round pick sitting on the bench for three years.

Rodgers went at 24, Love at 26.

Love looked really good last night. Commentators said he's been getting Wednesdays with the firsts with Rodgers taking the day off over his thumb.

It'll be interesting to see what's he's like with a full week if practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Especially when they have to decide on his 5th year option in the offseason. They need to see him play or they'll likely end up screwing themselves one way or the other

Yeah, the injury to Rodgers couldn't have come at a better time for them. Aaron won't be in any rush back with the season over so they'll get plenty of time to decide if they want to take up that fifth year.

The cost of a fifth year option for someone who hasnt played is "the average of the third through 25th highest salaries at a player's position", so likely to be pretty high for a QB. Probably (without seeing the numbers) at least $20m? Add that to AR's $50m+ and you've allocated a large part of the cap to two offensive players who won't ever be on the field together.

I can't see them picking up the option unless either they are moving on from AR, or they found a trade partner for Love. He was a first rounder, but the back end of the first. Not like he was in the top 5 or 10.

This is why I'm saying it reminds me of the Favre situation. Favre wanted out and retired then unretired then kept giving hints to the media that he was being badly treated by the board.

Aaron Rodgers got his opportunity, Favre got his move and everybody was happy. Rodgers was unproven just like Love but they get to start him now and see what they've got. I'm pretty sure Rodgers would love to go to a team ready to have a serious run at the Superbowl like the Bucs if Brady retires or maybe the Titans, Jets, Giants or even team up with DeVante in Vegas. I'm leaving out the Vikings be aise I didn't think he'd go there but Cousins is on a one year contract.

It's pretty clear that Rodgers is fed up of what's going on in Green Bay. He bust his ass and then they draft a QB in the first round instead of a badly needed WR. Then they won't pay Adams and he's gone leaving him with Lazard, Cobb and a rookie. Watson spent the whole of training camp injured and didn't really get going until a couple of weeks ago.

I'm pretty certain he wants out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement