Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BAABAA96

Theres a wall thermostat and i can turn on heating automatically twice a day but thats it, seems to be a pretty old system.

Waiting on full breakdown of the quote but my understanding is that every radiator will get fitted with a TRV also, so more than just the black edition that you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭deezell

I'll have a read back on the previous posts to refresh my sieve like memory, but that definitely looks like single flow and return.

I hear you about getting someone in. I needed to get the air mix/emissions and oil pressure routinely set on my boiler by someone who had the correct instruments, I was looking at anything from 4 weeks minimum without a firm date, to next year, to some who will just install new boilers, or heat pumps, no interest in servicing. Maybe there's no future in fossill fuel heating. I finally got the name of an old timer who has the kit for the final settings, but its a sellers market this minute for any upgrades, modifications service or repairs.

When I reread, I should be able to state more clearly what you actually need to get done, then maybe a tradesman won't be so wary of the task, or committed to the one trick pony that is EPH. Alas, read back a few posts where @bittihuduga got a sparks in to wire in a simple Drayton 3 zone receiver, and left him with incorrect wiring which he had to sort himself.

Relieved to hear that, I was browsing a UK forum yesterday, and a poor sod wanted to know was £1500 a good price for replacing the attic plastic water tank, maybe £100 worth of new tank, drill it and reconnect cold out, ballcock, overflow, and home for tea by the afternoon. Fk me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BAABAA96

as i said waiting on the full quote. i know that without the TRV for the rad's its a robbery so that's why I'm making sure to clarify. I've got quotes on other non energy rating related work and always find quotes im getting to feel made up until i can get a breakdown of the work im getting done for my money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Quick question, for a house that was never properly zoned are the smart TRV's any use?

• Advertisement

Short answer, yes, even a few can take down lesser used rooms till needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Thank you. The EPH seems to be a mains powered hot water stat, it's not long for this world

Since my original post I have had the my boiler replaced l, the plumber removed the zone value for the hot water (this was a solo run).

So now I am not sure if I still have a 3 zone system or is it technically a 2 zone now?

I know if I have both manual zones switched off and the timer clock kicks in it will heat the water only.

It will heat the HW now whenever the boiler is fired for CH. Its not an issue as hot flow during CH is unlikely to overheat the HW cylinde, though it could if your boiler is set to pump very high flow temperature, say 70°+ . It can however cause the HW cylinder to cool when the CH is on and relatively cooler flow is being put through the cylinder coil until the system water heats up. You might notice your HW giving up on a large demand when you fill a bath. I guess he felt the need to leave an open loop to the boiler, but that's easier arranged by a small bore bypass on the boiler flow and return

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AvalonEnaid

To those who are closing off their radiators (although the correct term is convectors), you might be inadvertently causing your boiler to be LESS efficient. There are a hell of a lot of variables and science that goes into heating your property and simply closing off your radiators and/or turning the thermostat target down by 1 degree is not likely to have a huge affect on your heating bill.

The first thing you need to determine is if your boiler is a condensing boiler. If it's not a condensing boiler then get one installed yesterday because no matter what you do, your heating system efficiency is going to be poor.

Assuming you do have a condensing boiler, you will want your boiler to go into condensing mode as much as possible and this only happens when the return temperature is under 55'c (the dew point). Now if you're going around closing off your radiator valves then it's possible that the hot water returning to boiler won't be under 55'c and the boiler wont enter into condensing mode, resulting in less efficiency.

Also keep in mind the second law of thermodynamics;

[QUOTE]The second law of thermodynamics is a physical law based on universal experience concerning heat and energy interconversions. One simple statement of the law is that heat always moves from hotter objects to colder objects (or "downhill"), unless energy is supplied to reverse the direction of heat flow.[/QUOTE]

If you're keeping rooms cold by closing the radiator valves, then any heat from outside those rooms will move towards those cold rooms which is not what you want.

One of the other things to consider when it comes to your boiler efficiency is the flow temperature. The flow temperature affects your overall energy consumption and therefore your ESB bill. You want to get your flow temperature as low as possible while still remaining comfortable. Flow temperature adjustments do become complicated if you have a hot water cylinder though.

On the topic of Smart Home Heating Systems, Tado is the only system to go for because they're compatible with the vast majority of boilers, allow set back temperatures, is weather compensation compatible, and can modulate the boiler if the boiler supports it. Modulating your boiler is great because it adds another level of efficiency to your heating system. It's likely that your current boiler is overrated for your property and it's burning at (for example) 24 kWh when all you need is 10 kWh.

Spot on. There have been numerous articles proposing this design shift.

The conflicting demands of HW is an issue though, running a boiler capped at 50° will result in tepid HW, long HW recovery times and the risk of legionella. This is not a real issue for combi boilers with direct HW, or system boilers with dual heat exchangers or HW diverter valves and independent HW SL terminal. OT boilers with the above can facilitate dual temperature flow from an OT capable stat such as Tado, but OT can't manage S Plan zoning. At best it can cope with a single CH zone, modulating temperature during a CH call. It is possible though under the OT spec to apply a volt free relay across the OT terminals and the boiler will then fire in simple relay mode, so a HW cylinder stat could effectively override OT for the duration of its call.

Its true that a boiler, especially a condenser, is less efficient when flow is reduced thus increasing return temperature, or its operating only as a HW source, but obviously leaving rads open to improve efficiency at the cost of unwanted heating hardly makes sense. Best compromise is ti set the boiler flow to about 65°, less inconvenience on your HW production, while increasing the chances of the condenser operating in the dew point. To this end Tado does self modulate when close to target temperature, so even without OT it goes some way towards optimising efficiency.

It wouldn't take a great deal of pipe stats to add a return limiter to the boiler, which would keep the circulation pump running but cut the firing when the retun flow exceeds 50°. This would allow a decent flow temperature for startup, say 68°, then when return exceeds 50° the boiler will cut but the circulation pump will continue to push the heated contents of the boiler jacket around the system until it flow has cooled. This is a form of modulation suited to large capacity jackets of oil boilers.

Best way to save in this climate is to insulate, draught proof, and install ventilation heat exchangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 DonZee

Thanks deezell, much appreciated. I've had a look at the wiring of my current system and I've put together a simplified wiring schematic showing now and future state. Let me know if that's somewhat right. I should be able to give that to an electrician and just ask them to wire it up and test. To be fair, I'd almost be tempted to do it myself but the list of projects is already long...

Schematic current system

The grey boxes are either fused distribution boxes (see pics posted previously) or outlets. There is a wire from Home Zone controller to boiler. It's the same size as the wires from the HW stat. Is that 230V SL?. Not exactly sure what the item coloured in green is? Is that a pump?

Based on your previous posts I've put together this future state wiring schematic

I'm assuming the existing 230V powering the Home Zone could be reutilised as above? The earth leaving on the southside of the wiring centre is going to a physical earth point or would the earth from the mains be sufficient?

I assume N - N from 2- 3 and L - L from 4 - 5 are just short pieces of wire for bridging/connecting?

Cylinder stat wires 8 and 9 can be switched around right?

Can the current grey wire running from Home Zone to boiler be reutilised to go from 10 to boiler? Do I need a separate wire to go to the pump?

Let me know if you see any red flags.

Cheers

You are correct that the wire from the Homezone controller to the boiler is a 220v switched live to fire the boiler. Are you eliminating zoned CH control, in that you are only using a single CH zone and Wiser stat/ hub. Is this because you are installing TRVs? I meant to have a good read back of the previous posts, but what with this and that and the autumn rugby and now the world cup etc etc... With the clarity of your diagram, I can't see any sparks having an issue with the wiring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

In case anyone is interested, the window detection on the Wiser app is too slow for my taste, so (with the power of Home Assistant) I have Shelly Door/Window sensors triggering moving the Climate of the associated room to a "Low schedule" (5ºC alllll day) when the window is open and back to the normal schedule when it's closed.

I need to add another automation if the room doesn't boost in a given timeframe, send someone to bleed the rad. Found a few rads we thought were bled needed another go.

Very happy with the Wiser set up so far. Main pain is that the plugsockets can only be got on Amazon and you do need them for repeaters through concrete walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DonZee

Yes, I'll be installing smart TRVs on all mechanical TRVs sans towel rails and an old style rad in the downstairs hallway. I might also leave the mechanical rads for the sun room the way they are for now as they are never really on.

Because of that there isn't really a huge benefit in keeping the two CH zones. Plus savings by now running downstairs old rad when only needing heat upstairs are likely negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

EDIT: Ghost comment.

Don, make sure you don't put a TRV too close to any stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hi All, we recently moved house after living in a house with storage heaters for 16 years. First time having a gas boiler. We have single zone with a separate hot water tank and a heat only ideal boiler something like this https://idealboilers.ie/installers/products/logic-heat.

I have just bought a hive system from the amazon black friday sale and had a few questions https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B097TN9NGR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. I only have a mechanical timer is that just a simple swap out for the hive, will my electrian just be able to do that
    2. I have no thermostats just the mechanical timer that's just on/off. The boiler gas temperature can be changed on the boiler itself. What temperature should the boiler itself be set to for the hive? I know the hive sets the room temperature seperatley.
    3. Is there anyway in the future to control my hot water separately and is that an expensive job?

Sorry for the all the questions, just this gas thing is way more complex then I thought it would be lol

1. Receiver for the hive is a simple wire in for the mechanical timer.

2. If its only used for CH, it can be set relatively low for maximum condenser efficiency, 55-60.

3. If it heats HW while CH is on then it will be simple enough to set up HW only by adding a diverter valve or zone valves. If it currently doesn't heat HW then it might need additional plumbing and pipework, maybe even a new cylinder if your current one is immersion only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Thanks so much, so on point number 2 the boiler heats rads and water tank and we have it set to 65 is that overkill, so turn down to 60 once hive is in yeah?

As it heats the HW when heating the CH, then 60 is probably as low as you should go.

Regarding point 3, the HW cylinder is connected to the boiler, and heats HW during a timed event, so it is just a case of using a zone valve to turn off the flow to the CH when a timed HW event occurs on the Hive. Just one motorised valve will allow you the heat HW only. A plumber will have to identify where the hot flow splits to HW and CH paths, and insert a motorised valve in the CH flow. This valve is operated by the Hive CH live, and this valve will have a relay which closes when CH in on. This relay will supply live to fire the boiler, combined with the HW live output from the hive receiver. Either of these lives will then fire the boiler to heat both HW and CH, or HW only.

A second valve can be fitted to give independent CH and HW. When you have the Hive installed and controlling CH, find a plumber who will install one or two motorised valves to enable HW only timing from the hive. You can also add a mechanical thermostat to the HW cylinder to stop a HW timing event when the HW reaches a set temperature on the stat. Note that the boiler flow temperature should be greater than the temperature set on the stat, to ensure heat transfer when the boiler is firing, and operation of the cylinder stat when its threshold is exceeded. Such settings tend to conflict with setting the boiler for a low flow temperature to optimise efficiency. This was discussed just a few posts previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

Great thread lads, very informative. Struggling to get any plumber for install a a smart system including trv’s. Are we allowed ask for recommendations here?

• Advertisement

If you don't already have mechanical TRVs on your rads, then get a plumber in to replace the valves with ordinary TRVs valves with M30 thread. Don't scare them off with talk of smart apps and stats. Once you have these valves on the rads you don't need a plumber to replace the mechanical TRV heads with smart ones, it's a DIY job, and configuration of the mounted smart TRV heads to the app is a techy thing, not a plumbing thing. Same goes for replacing whatever thermostat and/or timer or controller you currently have to operate your CH. It's mostly a small amount of wiring, and then some app configuration, again, mostly DIY, well up electricians and some plumbers could manage the swap, or someone familiar with light electrical wiring. Once you have the hardware wired in, the app stuff is DIY. If you get someone in to do everything, be prepared to pay big.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

thanks already have mechanical TRVs but have a brutal control panel (Hub Controller) and would like to get that replaced and also get piping for hot water only (not needing to turn off rads), Was hoping to avail of the SEAI grant as am putting in another grant request at the same time. So two jobs on one BER cert. Would be confident enough with any of the app stuff but not the plumbing or wiring!!

What am I looking at for new control panel and smart TRVs for 12 rads...1500 ish?

Did you have sperate HW before you got the Hub controller? Some old installtions had a wall stat and a mechanical timer, the timer would fire the boiler which would always heat the HW, either by gravity or pumped.The wall stat would either operate the circulation pump to the rads in a gravity HW system, or open a motorised valve to CH in a pumped system, so CH could be turned off allowing only HW heating. Many so called upgrades such as Hub CON troller, or free single zone stat offers from energy companies to switch supplier, were installed in place of both timer and wall stat, which prevented the system from heating HW only. No only that, but the energy companies registered your device as energy saving upgrade and automatically got a huge wedge of wonga in credits on your behalf. If you got your Hub C. in this way, you may already have exhausted your entitlement to a grant.

Is that €1500 an estimate for the prurchase of the hardware only, or the entire supply and fit? if its hardware only, get down to Screwfix and buy your own. Tado wireless starter kit in Black plus 12 Basic smart TRVs, (3 by 4 packs), €750. Similar price for Hive plus 12 TRV, or Drayton kit 2 and a dozen TRVs. You could have this up and running just by getting the receivers for any of these wired in place of the Hub Con, an hours work (though preferably next to the boiler where the HW relay of any these would be available for later upgrade to independent HW). Note that if you have 12 TRVs all turned off, you merely have to fire the boiler with the receiver HW relay for hot flow to supply the HW cylinder only, as all CH paths are closed. This is simply a matter of combining HW and CH receiver outputs to the boiler. A call for HW only will not open any TRVs

I doubt you'll get anyone to supply that much kit and fit and configure it for €1500, especially if they're on the approved grant list of installers. I've no faith in grant aided upgrades, they're automatically double or treble what would be reasonable, and the grant is swallowed by the huge margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Has anyone had any issues opening the tado app since the last update this week.

Mine isnt opening and freezing on the tado screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can't get mine open to see the version

Uninstalled and reinstalled app. Working now

Ditto, surprised it didn't auto-update. Dark mode looks cool, but you've to turn dark mode on for your whole phone to enable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭digiman

Has anyone seen any good deals on the Honeywell HR92 radiator thermostats? I got them all at near half price a few years ago on Amazon but not seeing any deals this year. The kids broke one and I put in an extension.

Have Honeywell upgraded their evohome at all? The limit of 12 radiators is a bit annoying, I could go up to 15 now.

I read a piece maybe two years ago that development on Evohome is halted, it basically is what it is, until it isn't someday. I can't remember exactly where, but it was more than just speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

App updated the other day. Channel 1 seems to have appeared back so it seems to be sorted

Advertisement