Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little changes we can make to normalise cycling and encourage its uptake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

6 figures to live in an area without a considerable crime rate. That is such hysterical nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Whatever the reason.

We build the hospital in in congested city location. This forces everyone to drive to it and resources like schools nearby. Causing more congestion. The kids go to school in area they don't live near and are thus disconnected from their peers where they live and where they go to school. Causing more driving for out of school and out of curricular activities. The school is less involved i the local area, and the local are is less invested in the school.

Its self defeating pattern that we keep repeating and wondering why things like housing, congestion get worse all the time.

In a thread about increasing cycling uptake, there a lot of comments with no suggestions, only excuses for more driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭boardise

My neighbourhood in a provincial city suburb is already well endowed with cycle lanes -they're called footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you're far more likely to see cars parking and driving on footpaths than bicycles in Ireland but I bet you wont admit to that

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I assume that you're referring to the children's hospital currently being built which has bus and luas connections and in reality isn't far from the M50. I've had several appointments in James and used to give platelets there. The people who drove there are as likely to drive to any other hospital.

Originally, I used to think the NCH should go in a green-field site, possibly near Blanch but was only really seeing it from a drivers perspective. I soon realised that for people who don't have cars, access will be much more difficult. Somewhere like Blanch only really suits drivers who can use the motorway network but it shouldn't be built in a way that excludes some.

• Advertisement

In the previous thread about this so many people had located in remote location with only RC schools. One was in Dublin City but was unwilling to go out of their immediate area to get the school they wanted. I don't believe religion has a place in schools. But some people want the mountain to come to them.

I wouldn't have suggested Blanch, because they sold off most of their extra land for housing. But it is at least on a train line and plenty of buses, and a greenway. The majority of people will drive to a hospital anyway. So the location picked is only convenient for a small minority. Its the best part of 2 hour trip for me on public transport. To attend out patients, appointments its office hours so travelling at peak on trains and buses with someone with limited mobility. Ironically I could cycle there easier, it on my old commuter. But the person I was bringing couldn't cycle.

The point its it draws even more congestion to somewhere thats already congested. Its a catch 22 of driving.

I don't either.

But let's be clear - the suggestion that was made was that parents should be "required" to send their children to the local school.

That would be a complete overstep. I don't know what kind of person thinks they have any kind of right to question the validity of a parents' choice of school for their child, on any grounds - whether it be local or 25km away. That is the parents' decision to make.

Imagine if your choice of where to make your home was limited by where you were required to send your child to school.

All to "encourage cycling"?!?

Seriously, think about it. It truly is getting into the realm of the ridiculous, now.

Its already there in practical terms.

With the admission rules and catchment areas, and quota's. its very hard to get into a different school other than one you fall into under the rules. Its not impossible. But its not easy.

No, it is not.

There is a big difference between "it's not easy" and "it is required"

• Advertisement

Not in my experience.

And yet it happens all the time.

To the extent, that some people have actually suggested it should no longer being allowed, as a measure to encourage cycling.

You'd have to say its has huge impact on traffic.

Lots of things have a huge impact on traffic.

Suggesting that parents should be required to send their children to their local school in some attempt to reduce traffic for part of the morning and part of the afternoon for approx half of the year, is not sensible.

Remember, plenty of parents whose children already attend their local schools drive them there. So such a requirement would have no impact on them. Many others will still drive as it is the most practical thing for them, e.g. the school is en-route to their workplace.

Unless you also would like to see restrictions put on people that they can only rent/buy homes within a short distance from their jobs as well, in order to encourage cycling? Which at this point, actually wouldn't surprise me.

"In an observation at the start of the hearings, Judge O’Donohue said he knew that cyclists habitually go through red lights and habitually cycle down the wrong side of the road although no such evidence had been levelled against Ms Tabarsi."

Continuing to hold this group of road users to account will assist greatly in increasing cycling numbers.

What group of road users? and where's the evidence increasing cycling numbers by whatever you're inferring.

In an observation at the start of the hearings, Judge O’Donohue said he knew that cyclists habitually go through red lights and habitually cycle down the wrong side of the road although no such evidence had been levelled against Ms Tabarsi.

That is a shockingly biased and ill-informed comment from a judge.

Continuing to hold this group of road users to account will assist greatly in increasing cycling numbers.

Aah FFS, would you give the nonsense a rest for the evening? It really is boring!

"That is a shockingly biased and ill-informed comment from a judge"

why?

• Advertisement

They better do something about cyclists and pedestrians speeding down Capel Street or people will just stay on the footpaths and pedestrianisation wont be achieved.

Myself and my friend were almost mowed down by cyclist all dressed in black with no lights this evening.

We crossed after Trinity College at the lights, heading towards Grafton Street and he came speeding down towards us on our left,you really dont expect cyclists to come at you from that direction.

Really sick of this behaviour to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Aah FFS, would you give the nonsense a rest for the evening? It really is boring!

for someone who claims to be a cyclist, Robot22, since joining boards, has spent the vast majority of their time on boards just in this thread, giving out about cyclists, claiming motorists are innocent victims in pedestrian fatalities, etc. etc.

so i've decided not to bother engaging with them any further. total waste of time.

"...Of pedestrians injured in London in a collision caused by red light jumping only 4% involve cyclists, whereas 71% occur when a car driver jumps a red light and 13% when a motorcyclist does. ..."

Maybe

I never said motorists are innocent, I said cyclists need to take personal responsibility for their safety and treat others with respect on the road.

I dont appreciate having to jump out of the way on a dark evening because a twit on a bike hasnt the manners to ring a bell to say he is coming at speed.

And why does anyone get up on a bike all dressed in black with no lights front or back and no reflective clothing.

And its all the motorists fault if he gets hit.

Well, as a motorist Im delighted to hear a judge call this out, I have lights on my bike, a bell too and I wear reflective clothing, its not that difficult to do the right thing.

Wrenched my knee getting out of his way and hobbling around the kitchen now.

So nothing happened.

You're sick of nothing continuing to happen.

Makes sense.

I guess the question is why are you walking on the road in the dark. If you can't see the ninja cyclist. How did you see them to jump out of the way.

As a novel this is brutal...

Heading towards bus on Nassau street, decided to cross the road to see lights on grafton street, crossed at pedestrian crossing with green light and cyclist sped up on the left.

If I want to get from Trinity College to Grafton Street I have to walk on the road, unless you can come up with another option that doesnt involve me having to move quickly out of cyclists way.

I wont report this matter to anyone so it wont appear on any of your statistics regarding people injured by cyclists, most people wouldnt bother reporting these incidents as whats the point.

Heading towards bus on Nassau street, decided to cross the road to see lights on grafton street, crossed at pedestrian crossing with green light and cyclist sped up on the left.

So you admit that you saw them coming and you also saw them speed up yet had to jump out of the way? You're so full of crap!

You won't report it. Because it never happened.

Seems now this invisible ninja you could also see a long way off.

Which is hardly surprising because the city centre is lit like a football stadium.

• Advertisement

I did not see him coming, he was cycling at speed against the traffic.

We jumped out of his way as he had no intention of slowing down and nor did he ring a bell.

He was almost on top of us before we saw him.

No apology, no nothing, basically get out of my way is the attitude.

The defensive attitudes on here are something to behold.

Good night.

PS, please stop ganging up and bullying me, I was there and so was my pal, we know what happened,everything happened as I related it.

Advertisement