Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little changes we can make to normalise cycling and encourage its uptake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,861 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The we is people who organise their life to have more options.

If you decide to live in ballymiddleofnowhere you have to accept the limitations of your choices.

The rest of the off topic babble is just normal life. It applies to people walking or using public transport. As such it got nothing to do with cycling, and nothing to do with a thread about promoting cycling.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@Robot22 - I did notice the car, was he reversing as he had blocked the pedestrian crossing and he wanted to clear it.

If that was a person on a bike going through the red light, I believe that you'd be quick to condemn!

@Robot22 - I would check my mirrors and reverse too if I blocked a pedestrian crossing.

Would you have broken the red light? I find that hard to believe given your previous high horse condemnation of it!

@Robot22 - I saw what I wanted to see in the video, exactly the same as you.

Indeed!

Hear no evil, see no evil, post sh1te!

The difference between me and you is I dont spend my days travelling around wth a camera on my head looking to post motorists mistakes so i can post it on the internet.

Neither do I. In my experience, most cyclists with cameras have them fixed to their bike. Mine also double up as lights which make them even more convenient.

In addition, I don't go looking for footage. There are enough crap drivers out there that the "motorists mistakes" don't take too long to happen - usually with results that put me in danger. And whilst I may post footage on the internet, I also use it when submitting a compplaint to AGS.

Why is it wrong for someone on a bike to record their journey and potentially post some of it online, when some drivers do the exact same? e.g.

I actually wouldnt be quick to condemn anyone making a mistake and no, I have never blocked a pedestrian crossing but if i did i would reverse back across it once it was safe to do so. Its the constant entitled behaviour of many cyclists that is the issue, not a random cyclist braking a red light by mistake.

Its the hypocrisy of cyclists pointing out others mistakes with that air of superiority added that is annoying.

Ie you have said nothing about man on heavy cargo bike holding three people cycling without taking due care and attention to others already on the footpath/cycle lane and cycling in the wrong direction too,seriously look at the mote in your own eye first before complaining about others.

And my insurance company told me there is an issue with data protection with dash cams and they are to be banned in the near future because of this,he was talking about the dash cam i have on my car but presumably there are issues with judgmental cyclists videoing others and posting this info up online too.

All this does anyway is exaggerate how dangerous cycling is and its off putting to people who might consider taking it up.

Can you link to how "direction" on a cycle lane is legally defined on a "on path" cycle path in Ireland.

Well, isn't this ironic.

I hope you will be applying the same warning across the board to all on the thread, and are not singling me out?

Because I was raising the examples of earlier posters who do what you are accusing me of literally all the time, and are constantly accusing others of condoning bad motorist behaviour.

Unless you missed that, in your haste to warn probably the only non-cyclist on the thread?

Should I start reporting these posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

“I wouldn’t be quick to condemn”

unless the person is on a bike obviously, in which case I’ll be super quick to condemn their clothing, their parenting style, the social media posts along with their transport choices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just looking out the window; the cycle lane outside the house is full of cars, parents collecting their kids from school. if you asked 'why don't you allow your kids cycle to school', at least some of them might include 'because it's not safe for them to cycle' as a reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing that was common on the cycling forum a few years ago but has really died off noticeably is the 'i'm new to cycling and want to cycle from A to B, what route do you suggest?'; WFH must be a very large factor in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People have been hunted out and priced out of urban centres, they might not have the luxury of the 'choices' you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think it's a choice for most people, anyone I know that bought out in the sticks did so because they wanted a bigger house with more space and didn't think the areas they could afford in dublin were good enough for them.

anyway everyone knows cycling doesn't suit rural people, they are not the people that are going to be encouraged to cycle to work/school/the shops etc.

• Advertisement

I know people decided to love in a tiny city apartment so they can walk everywhere in town. No cars, no bicycles. Local school etc. They would argue they have less luxuries as you'd describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A tiny, overpriced Celtic Tiger paper-walled apartment is fine for a singleton or a young couple, I don't need to tell you they're not for families.

but by the same token we design our towns really badly - schools placed a kilometre away from the centre of the towns, etc.

housing estates being built down country roads with no footpaths and not conducive to cycling.

That's subjective. It's a choice people make. It's an Irish thing to dismiss apartments and make car centric choices.

yeah I get sick of this "i decided the affordable properties in dublin weren't good enough so moved to a much bigger house where people don't wear tracksuits so i demand to be able to drive and park on capel st whenever i feel like it".

you made your own bed like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I completely condem the behaviour of the drivers in those twitter videos as they sail through those red lights without a care in the world and in at least 2 cases almost fatally injure the cyclists filming the offenses. Traffic light cameras really need to be streamlined across the network to deter this reprehensible behaviour.

another thing which could be done to make things simpler is just bite the bullet and make bus/cycle lanes 24 hours.

there's one near me (which goes past a secondary school) whose hours of operation are 0700-1000 and then 1200-1900. what's the point of the two hour gap in late morning? and covering rush hour but not times outside rush hour?

would be easier just making many of those lanes 24/7.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If they're doing the above, it would be great to have taxis finally out of bus lanes!

never gonna happen, the country doesn't have the balls to make unpopular decisions like that, much like footpath parking

It is amazing how out of touch comments like this are. Apartments, not least, the cookie cutter stock that is springing up left, right and center are, by and large over priced, bland, right on top of one another, compact and soulless. They don't exactly lend themselves to the possibility of expanding a family beyond 2 kids.

Also, unless someone is on a salary close to 6 figures, the prospects of living in an suburban area without a considerable crime rate is a struggle. The fact that living in areas next to decent public transport is a luxury which, in turn tacks on €50,000 to €100,000 makes it somewhat self-defeating. The irony here is that many people who can afford buying and living in these apartments will wind up opting for the car.

On the other hand, a house provides those who dwell in them personal space, a garden and more flexibility to scale up if they are going to raise a family. Sadly, the prices of such luxuries in suburban or urban settings aren't really in the price range for the average worker.

The fact that we are still building outward instead of upward because of "me heritage" and protecting our skylines among other myopic arguments also pushes people further out of central locations.

While the topic at hand is making cycling more attractive with minor tweaks here and there, tone deaf comments like that quoted forces realistic people like yours truly to call you out on it.

Now, back to the topic at hand.

• Advertisement

This isn't a problem that just happened. It's cultural handover that's persisted for many decades.

I'm not sure why in a thread about promoting cycling, you're promoting driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭notAMember

Not here, the point is that it’s not strategy or public policy.

We live less than 500 m from a public school. My children didn’t get in, they are in category 5 of the published admission criteria, which is „local area“ . People are driving to the school from 25km away, in category 1 and 2 of the entry criteria (siblings and past pupils) .

To reduce school car drop offs , one of the simplest ways is to allow children attend their local school.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,755 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Go with “require” instead of “allow”. Lots of parents CHOOSE to drive past their local school to their chosen school, for whatever reason.

Because they decided to live somewhere else. But drive to the school they want. (Thus displacing those that could walk or cycle).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭notAMember

No, not require, allow. It would be rejected if it was required as it would cause hardship.

There are plenty of situations where it makes more logistical sense for children to be at school near their parent's employment, or near their afterschool care for example. Not every child goes to school from home, or returns there afterwards. Prioritising home location as an entry requirement would enable people to make efficient transport decisions. It isn't a panacea, it's a step.

At the moment they don't have a choice.

This must be the most ridiculous thing I've read on this thread so far.

Something like 90% plus of schools in this country have a Roman Catholic ethos. Are you seriously suggesting that if a parent does not want an RC education for their child, they should have no choice and should have to send them to the local RC school, anyway just to "encourage cycling".

What if their child has special needs, and the local school cannot meet their needs?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I couldnt believe it either but its more bullying.

What about the nurses and teachers who had to move further out to buy, they cant afford to pay the mortgage and child care so they have to bring the children to their parents to be minded. We are already losing teachers and nurses,do cyclists who come up with these mad ideas want the education and health services to collapse completely.

Nobody drives twenty km to bring their children to school unless there is a very good reason.

Is this policy to apply to teachers too, are they to be banned from working in any school that they cant walk and cycle to, what about their children, are they to be told to enrol their children in the nearest school to their home instead of the school they teach in.

I mean where does this dictatorship end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have to chime in here. I live in a large midlands town and a job change in the past year prompted me to use my bike more to commute to work. 6 months in and I am using the bike almost exclusively, with the rare exception when it is just too windy or wet to cycle. I am a car owner and occasionally use company vehicles once I get to work so I think I can see both sides in this cycling vs motoring debate (although I think it would be fair to say that a lot of cyclists are car owners also).

Cycling infrastructure outside of Dublin and the other cities is poor and piecemeal, often tokenistic at best, but the advantages of cycling to work for someone like me (I can cycle from my home to work in under 15 minutes) means I can put up with less than ideal infrastructure. So, back to the original question, what are the little changes we can make to normalise cycling and encourage its uptake?

Number one thing for me is driver behaviour- I can put up with poor infrastructure, blocked cycle lanes, inadequate facilities etc etc, but I am acutely aware that each time I have to share a road with motorists I am putting myself at risk, even if I am obeying the rules of the road and riding safely.

So, motorists, ask yourself is it really worth making that dangerous overtaking manoeuvre or close pass? Why put someone else's life in danger to perhaps save a measly few second in your journey time?

As for cyclists- we all need to ensure we are wearing a hi viz vest and a helmet, have proper lights front and rear and obey the rules of the road.

Advertisement