Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Impact on Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hard Brexit presents Republicans with a golden opportunity; the NIP seeks to defuse that. The DUP displays a degree of stupidity remarkable even for them in (a) backing, and continuing to back, hard Brexit, and (b) demanding to have the NIP dismantled while the UK is still pursuing hard Brexit.

I don't doubt that the recent bomb attack in Strabane is an attempt to maintain and if possible increase the current political polarisation and to ensure that the DUP clings ever-harder to its union-eroding Brexit policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The protocol and Brexit have nothing to do with the continuing campaign of the New or Real IRA. They are an ever present threat.

The attempted assassination of our Foreign Minister, Protocol violence, Loyalist threats if they don’t get their way and political unionism’s dalliance with the LLC does relate

But yeh….the RA. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Moderate unionists(which includes mainland UK) can see the advantages of the protocol for NI.You know the penny is beginning to drop for the British that a closer relationship with the EU would be much better and neutralise extremist republican ambition.Now all the British public need to do is consign the tories to history.Which is admittedly easier said than done.

Wait, you think the British are seeking closer ties with the EU to thwart extreme republicans?

The British have proven they couldn’t care less about unionist or republican in Ireland Freddie

It can be done in about two years' time. The question is how to stabilise NI until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

You misunderstand me francie,I think the UK seeking closer ties would stop calls for a UI and Scottish independence.

Perfidious Albion and Unionist behaviour means it isn’t going back in the box. And I suspect they aren’t done yet

The national question is never going back in its box. But, just as hard Brexit was a considerable boost to republicanism (thanks, DUP!) so a pivot to a softer Brexit would, um, weaken that boost somewhat.

That maybe, but I think the DUP has so demolished any credibility they had that they are interested in properly sharing power that the constitutional question will inevitably be asked now. I think before we get to a softer Brexit (which is very much still up in the air) belligerent Unionism and all it's new voters (if intentions are to be believed) will do much more harm.

As I said before a plan from Dublin for what a UI will look like will be the game changer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think the penny is finally beginning to drop about the impact of Brexit. Or rather, the truth has become much harder to ignore now than it was previously it was masked by other factors such as COVID. It's very obvious now that the UK is not doing as well as its peers and business leaders are getting increasingly vocal about it. The balloons floated this week about possibly moving towards a Swiss style arrangement are just the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think a Swiss-style agreement is feasible. It's over a hundred treaties and the EU have openly stated that it won't be repeated. Currently, the UK isn't even upholding its end of current treaties so I don't see the appetite for more on the EU side.

I think the best thing for all concerned is membership of the single market and customs union.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Mmm. The DUP can restore their credibility on power-sharing by, well, sharing power. So if the UK does make the compromises necessary to alleviate the impact of the Protocol and/or negotiate variations to parts of it (a very big "if", I grant you, but let's explore it) then the DUP has a choice - (a) bank the concessions, claim credit for them, announce a major victory and re-enter the institutions, or (b) adopt an absolutist position that so long as one jot or tittle of the Protocol remains they will never darken Stormont's door.

If they adopt (a) then, yeah, they rebuild credibility and effectively refute the claim that this whole schtick was just a device to avoid serving alongside an SF First Minister.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Me neither. But for internal purposes it's the least threatening idea to float, even if those floating it know it won't be a runner. As we've seen from the original Brexit negotiations, the balance of power lies with the EU.

'Restore credibility' with whom though?

Certainly not with the nationalist/republican/Irish identifying people.

A lot of this will depend not on the UK's slippin' and sliding on Brexit (and what seems to be their strategy i.e. - kicking cans down the road on settling for a stable agreement. I can see us still discussing Brexit and finalising it in 10 years time) but on what happens here and whether or not SF can get into government.

If they do, most likely with FF, I can see a committment to a plan being produced as part of the deal and a poll for the electorate becoming undeniable. The SoS would be unable to resist IMO and a credible plan from Dublin will be a gamechanger for those who want a UI but are unprepared to vote for it now because it is largely an abstract idea in the abscence of a plan/proposal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That makes sense. If those outside the DUP and the ERG seem happy enough then maybe close alignment is now a viable political option.

My main concern is that this can easily be reversed just as decades of EU membership were for the short term political gain of one unscrupulous prime minister.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The DUP care as much about their credibility with nationalist voters as SF do about theirs with unionists though. Its irrelevant to them.

Also the SoS would quite easily and credibly be able to ignore a unification plan from Dublin by just pointing to a complete lack of any consistent polls in NI showing support for it. It is going to be completely at the mercy of internal UK politics.

Brexit is definitely increasing the chances of a UI, but if and when a deal is reached we are going to see things return to something closer to the status quo I suspect. However, their intransigence over the protocol is a fairly popular position still.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How would an Irish government producing a half-baked plan for unity somehow lead to a poll for the electorate becoming undeniable and the SoS being unable to resist?

The sequence seems to be something like this according to your post:

1. SF get into government
    2. Magic beans are planted
    3. There is a united Ireland

I agree on the credibility point which was really not what I was saying.

I also think the Dublin government will create a plan and then the polling will change dramatically bringing pressure on the SoS.

A published plan from government will also allow others to express support for the idea, I.E. The EU and the US etc.

It is the gamechanger IMO

Any plan produced by a government involving SF will focus solely on a single united Ireland and more or less propose full integration. That is a vote-loser both North and South.

There are enough people in the North who, while lukewarm to a united Ireland, and therefore open to a federal or confederal solution, who will be completely turned off by such a proposal because they retain a Northern Irish identity linked to the territory of Northern Ireland. It can be argued by some that this is an artificial identity that only arose because of partition, but that partition has lasted several generations allowing that identity to emerge, and is no more artificial than the revival of Irish in Northern Ireland.

In the South, any such plan will demonstrate the price that will have to be paid in tax rises and deferral of social welfare increases. Bound to go down well.

That is one opinion from a notably jaundiced source.

Any plan/proposal will be designed with the best possible chance to succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Have you ever been to Cork and felt the Cork identity - or to Kerry and felt the Kerry Kingdom identity? Or met the Healy-Raes?

They really believe that their identity supersedes all others, but still support an overall Irish identity.

If the UI offers better solutions to the economy, the health service, the social welfare, job opportunities, education, etc. then the will be a UI. Otherwise, perhaps it will wait a while longer.

Same thing will happen here as is happening with academics like Colin Harvey's study on a UI and the Future Ireland project.

Belligerents will attempt to vilify and denigrade the authors of and contributors to a plan/proposal rather than take part and contribute themselves.

That is a very different comparison. There has been no partition with Kerry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

According to those in Cork, Kerry, and 'rural Ireland' there has indeed been a partition.

There is only a Luas and Dart in Dublin, and only Dublin will get a Metro. Dublin gets everything while 'rural Ireland' gets nothing. Of course, Dubliners will let rural Ireland, and even thse from Cork and Kerry, to use both the Luas, and Dart - and the Metro when it is built.

Partition is in the mind - a question of mind over matter - if you don't mind, then it does not matter.

In NI, flegs matter, sectarianism matters, but not in Ireland. We are quite happy to let people live as they wish.

[Well most of us are of that mind set!]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You're so close but yet so far from getting it, Blanch. As usual though, your tunnel vision insistence on viewing everything through the lens of, 'if SF like it, I don't' kicks in and you continue to miss the point.

I await your response telling me (someone actually from NI) what NI people 'actually' think because you read something in an article once though.

The "gamechanger plan from Dublin" idea has a bit of a "with one bound he was free" flavour to it, to be honest.

There are huge practical and pragmatic challenges to the unification of Ireland. The damage done to NI by a century of partition can't be magicked away. It's reasonable to point out — as I have myself, more than once — that partition took the most prosperous part of Ireland and systematically reduced it to a condition of abject beggary. But you then have to acknowledge that NI is in a condition of abject beggary — a state of affairs that is not going to be changed in one year, or even in ten years — and come up with a plan for effecting reunification which takes account of that. It's hard to come up with a plan that doesn't involve substantial financial transfers from outside Ireland, and that consideration alone means that a feasible plan is not something that Dublin can unilaterally produce, or could unilaterally implement.

And that's just boring old economic issues. We also have to consider the political reality that the likely scenario in which Ireland is united involves a large minority in NI who see themselves as British and, given their druthers, would remain in the UK. That's not a challenge that was faced in, e.g., the reunification of Germany. Any plan has to take account of this group, and has to be calculated to secure the assent of as many of them as possible. That means a plan which addresses their concerns and fears about reunification, a task which is impossible without talking to them, listening to them and taking seriously what they say.

And, as others have pointed out, there is the growing phenomenon of Northern Ireland identity. NI has existed for more than a century now, and its people's history and experience is different from that of both GB and IRL. The decline in British identity/commitment to unionism is not matched by a corresponding rise in Irish identity/commitment to Republicanism but more by a grown in NI identity, a non-aligned political position and an at best instrumental commitment to the Union. This is a constituency that is very open to supporting unification but whose support is not ideological and cannot be taken for granted. Any notion that NI will simply be erased in a united Ireland is probably not going to appeal to them.

The upshot of all this is that the most feasible plan for unification, the one most likely to attract support in a border poll and assent after a border poll, and the one most likely to succeed when implemented, is one that is produce both north and south, with the widest possible input, and with support from GB, the EU and the US — and I don't just mean political support.

The notion that a plan produced by an SF/FF Dublin government will cause the SoS to fall over backwards, and will sweep the boards in a border poll, looks to me like wishful thinking with strong Brexity energy.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

My point was, it would be a gamechanger in terms of polling. If there is a plan/proposal, more people will opt for a UI. That will change the game as the SoS will then be under pressure to call a poll.

And I never said a UI will be simple...partition did and still is causing a great harm.

I think the rethoric from FF (Shared Island) and SF recognises the identity issues and the challenge that will present.

As I have said before - a United Ireland will only succeed if there is a united NI.

By that, I mean that the bigotry, hatred, and polarisation of society in NI needs to be tackled, and these attributes dialled down such that the 'peace walls' are removed, along with the need for them.

The biggest chance for this is widespread economic benefits such that all prosper and the wellbeing created washes away this nasty environment that pervades throughout the north. Growth in well paid employment would be a start, but while the UK is in recession makes this hard to achieve. Ironically, the NIP gives NI a unique selling proposition.

So those that want a UI, should start right there - grow the well paid jobs.

You just proved my point.

You say that people in "rural Ireland" believe there is a partition with "urban Ireland", but then admit that the things that matter in NI - flags identity - don't matter in Ireland. All just support of my viewpoint that NI is already different.

• Advertisement

We changed from an ultra Catholic doctrine society to a liberal one with rights for all in about 5-10 years and haven't looked back (only yo deal with the abuses carried out by the governments who fostered and ignored those abuses)

One of the main party's in government was against rights for gay people as recently as 2009 for instance and did a complete volte face a few short years later. Change does and can happen.

There are other examples of opinion changing dramatically too. It will be no different in a UI. In fact I would suggest that normalisation will happen quickly if rights and equality are properly addressed and dealt with in any plan/proposal.

Advertisement