Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia criticises Ireland for moving away from neutrality.

• 16-11-2022 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭

Yesterday there was an article in the Guardian (under the ‘Live’ section) regarding criticism by Russia’s foreign ministry, of Ireland moving away from neutrality.

I expected to see something in the Irish news media today regarding her statements, but couldn’t find anything. I couldn’t find the longer piece in the Guardian (that I read yesterday), -a search only yielded the above snippet. The longer article made reference to Irelands willingness to train (Ukrainian) soldiers to fight in Ukraine. Also there was reference to closer cooperation with NATO wrt joint military training.

Surprised not to see any national news report on this (that I’m aware of). Also, makes me wonder ….is there a purposeful/inevitable sense of leaning away from neutrality happening with all that’s going on in the world?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,789 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Best off ignored.

sounds like a possible effort to stir up trouble and potentially legitimise Ireland as a target.

that said I’m on record here myself as saying that a lot of rumblings from politicians over the course of this conflict were not in keeping with the type of content and posture you’d expect from a neutral country…

Simon Coveney : “ This war is changing the debate in Ireland.” In the future, he added, “I think the Irish people will be more open to collective approaches to security.”

also….

Neutrality means Ireland decides when we get involved and when we don’t,” said Coveney. In this war, however, “Ireland is not neutral.”

im his Taoiseach reading that id simply be giving him such a bollôcking the phone would be shaking in his hand.

btw he made those statements back in May during a discussion at the Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies…

Coveney shît stirring, an irresponsible typical FG merchant… “ Ireland is not neutral “. . . You might want to check with our government and citizens…. How he gets a seat in the Dail is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭sparky42

It was just them getting ready to ban some 50 Irish politicians from Russia, basically anyone that doesn’t support the Russian invasion. And since Ireland isn’t and never has been neutral they are full of ****, but I’m sure everyone is still loving handing them a veto on our foreign policy.

Pity we are still so feckless when it comes to international affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Bollox to Russia, get the **** out of Ukraine & stop your murdering military invasion!

Ireland has the same policies as our partner nations in the EU do in this conflict, we are not neutral.

We stand for freedom & justice from oppression for Ukraine.

Glori Don Ukraine, Feck Putin!

And other neutral European nations have done even more while “being neutral”, but are you expecting anything different from a section of Irish politics? We should be doing a hell of a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purplepanda

I understand Ireland made a financial contribution to the overall EU funding for Ukraine which included military defence equipment. We didn't seek an opt out clause to use our contribution strictly for non military aid to my knowledge from media reports.

I would support Ukraine being given further military support, I'm not sure if we have sufficient military hardware reserves to make a donation, however financial contributions to purchase equipment required by Ukraine is more than good enough from my personal viewpoint.

I believe the majority opinion of Irish people would support direct financial contributions to Ukraine's military needs.

• Advertisement

In reality we could have given up our stocks of ATGM and MANPADS particularly in the opening months without any major issue and bought new ones given at least some of them are “end of lifing” anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We gave a few hundred pieces of body armor and MREs,

The main thing is we should be actively trying to improve our own defense systems

Well yes, and I’m sure the Russians wouldn’t be happy about that either but that’s a different topic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unsupervised

Ireland is not neutral and hasn’t been for a long time. We have always voiced our opinions when conflicts arise taking sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Seems you were spot on with the bans of 50 officials on travelling to Russia. 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Russia can get ****ed.

How they think anyone of any significance listens to a single thing they have to say, after what they've done, needs to ease off the kool aid big style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Are Russia banning officials from other countries as-well or is it just Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

They’ve banned loads from other countries already, it’s only now they got around to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Lol who wants to go to that Soviet crumbling backwater anyway? Were Komrades Daly, Boyd Barrett or Wallace banned? I bet ya they werent & would be welcomed with open arms. Clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The Indo say they have worked out who is on the list:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/kremlins-list-revealed-the-52-irish-politicians-who-vladimir-putin-has-banned-from-russia-42154505.html

A lot of those are not household names, probably not even in their own household.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Poor greens them anti Fossil Fuels and vlad wont put them on the list. No SF either but they are pro Diesel after all

As much as I wouldn't be fans of any of them, its unfair to include Boyd Barrett in the same grade of batshit crazy as Wallace and his bit.

I hope we kick more out, there’s no good reason why their delegation is as large as it is:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/1118/1336868-ireland-ukraine/

• Advertisement

Would the reason that more have not already being kicked out is that partner nations have asked us not to so they can mointor the coming and goings of the agents?

I doubt it, they would most likely be happier if the Russians were downsized, it’s more likely they are still here due to reluctance in DFA and perhaps unwillingness in some of the Government.

I hope the Polish C130 that made a visit to casement is returning home with a cargo of goodwill from the Curragh stores

I’d love it if they were but if it came out I’d imagine the Greens would lose their ****!

Didn't the Government, including its Green Ministers, commit to providing uniforms, helmets, body armour, boots, field medical supplies and any other non weaponry we could spare?

At the same time Eamon is out defending the Triple Lock and saying how wonderful it is. The Non Weaponry equipment all went much earlier than this and there hasn't been any reports of us increasing our donations since? How much Cold Weather gear do we actually have for instance?

Arctic level snow and ice gear? None I imagine, except maybe the ARW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Ms Zakharova has been visibly (perhaps understandably) sauced when spewing out the nonsense line of her government, so maybe here too. Irish government neutrality has been a bit of a meme for a long time (long time neutrals like Sweden or Finland were always well prepared and spending proportionately in this country was higher). This country de-facto relies on the RAF and Royal Navy to project much of its airspace and coastal areas, so starved of funds are the Air Corp and Naval Service.

• Advertisement

"Irish government neutrality" is a mistaken statement.

Our neutrality is military. There is no such thing as political neutrality. We are in the UN, EU, NATO PfP and a few dozen other international political groupings and treaties. We are a liberal democracy, under the rule of Common Law and we work politically against autocracy, subjugation and political and religious hate and genocide in other Countries wherever we see it in the World. Not neutral, never pretended to be.

Have we ever deployed our Defence Forces unilaterally in a military conflict and taken action in a shooting conflict? No, because we are neutral and non-aligned, militarily, with any mutual defence obligation.

That should be printed out on a nice clean sheet of A4 and handed to Ms Zakharova, with the suggestion that she shove it up her arse.

Advertisement