Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irelands fittest family

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ok thanks, I was wondering why the ropes were there. Yeah it was a great final, its remarkable how close these finals all are year after year with only seconds in it between the teams. Its always an exciting watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I really enjoyed it, brilliant effort from all 4 families tonight. And I think it is RTÉ's loss if they choose not to keep the series. I'd love to know how much each of the leaders is paid. Davy's shouting does my head in, Anna wasn't as loud as usual this series. Congratulations to the 🏆 winners.

Odd that they're looking for contestants again?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

As I've always thought, the key to winning this is having two young boys, a slim tough father and a mother who is able do a bit of running.

The show is mostly running. There's very little sheer strength. Any hanging or climbing is much easier for light lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,818 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Davy's reaction to his family winning was brilliant. Great final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

In the early days, when they use to categorise the families by sport, the "cross-country runners"" used to always destroy the opposition - so yes, no surprise that a lean family, with a fit mother (no giggling down the back) constituted the two teams in the final event.

I wouldn't say it's mostly running though. Nor very little sheer strength. OK, there's no deadlifting, or whatever - but the bog, the backs to the wall, the tipping tyres, that's all strength and endurance, and the final event tonight was a lot more endurance than running. But yes, overall it suits light athletes a lot better than the heavier, strong types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

What a nail-biter of a finish. I was gutted for the 2 young lads on Anna's team but delighted that Davy's team won. I just couldn't warm to AG.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Most of those are not sheer strength. Tipping tyres is sheer strength. The weight doesn't change.

Hanging tough, back against the wall, walking through bog is all proportional.

The light lads have great strength to body weight ratio.

The thing is even if there is any heavy lifting, i.e carrying sandbags or whatever, it's rarely enough to knock them out. They'll have an eliminator or another round to gain it back on.

Exactly - it's a spread across all disciplines.

I'm always amused by these "oh, but it suits X, because the events are all/mostly Y" - the events are varied, the teams vary, and the ones who can cope best across the board are the ones who come out on top.

Which tends to be the light, strong ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Fitzsimons came across a bit arrogant at times. I am glad they lost.

I thought that youngfella was one of the best competitors I've ever seen on the show.

I hadn't even noticed the other family throughout the rounds. I was rooting for the Fitzsimons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

That was certainly a full-on finish and very entertaining. It keeps reminding me of Tough Mudder runs. Great to seriously test a person's fitness.

Dan.

Also, being "glad they lost" is a bit mean-spirited. actually, a lot mean-spirited.

When are you entering, so we can diss your efforts on public forums?

I never said anything about their efforts so I didn't "diss" them.

Take a deep breath and don't let my post annoy you.

But it does annoy me. Being "glad they lost", and feeling the need to publicly post that mean-spirited sentiment for all to see, is really annoying.

So, when are you entering for the show again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s the Oirish thing of taking a swipe at anyone who sticks their head above the parapet for being “too confident”.

Why would I be entering the show? You have derailed this thread with your nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Very enjoyable final last night , thought the famailies this year werent as strong as other years but still good old fashioned entertainment on a Sunday evening to watch.

Be very dissapointed if RTE discontinue this show, one of the few things i watch on RTE.

Him and the twin girls were the standout competitors from this series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fitzsimons family absolutely gutted, they were brilliant! So so close a cracking final! Maybe if they weren't so amazing in backs against the wall they would have had a tiny bit more in the tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A very fit mammy is clearly a necessity in winning this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Thought the Finnegans were a great family, the son was probably the strongest individual, the twins were savage and the dad probably the weakest of the adults but he gave it everything

The Fitzsimons were very focussed on the youngest fella, you'd feel sorry for Kai

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TinaTiernan

Laura Fox replaces Mairead Ronan.

Sonia O'Sullivan standing in for the loud Anna Geary who's giving birth.

I hope when Geary is pushing the baby out and roaring that her bull is saying stuff like "Go to that place in your head now, just focus on pushing, just give me 3 more pushes that's all I'm asking from you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭josip

Although I'd prefer to go for a pint with Sonia instead of Anna any day of the week, I'm not sure Sonia has the best personality for a show like this. I think she'll be very like Nina Carberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You need two people like Nina and Sonia though to act as a counterbalance to Foghorn Fitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whats going on here, did someone put Mairead Ronan into a cyrogenic chamber to make her look 10 years younger?

Welcome back all 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great to have it back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

I really thought it was Mairead Ronan, even sounds like her, I think. And I was like, what has she done to her face??!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jesus lads mairead is looking well. She’s some fox!

Advertisement