Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Calves 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭green daries

My post was supposed to be linked to grass post bass.....sorry I thought it was. Anyways I totally agree that it's a small cohort of farmers have their heads in the sand .......I find the idea of bobbying calves that a lot of aren't looked after properly before hand repulsive. It's not the way I was brought up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Be as good as any maybe. How would you be fixed if you got locked up with them before sale?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I might take it as a sign and start milking them myself 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If the stock are fit at 20 months. Can’t see it paying to put them in shed again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

The alternative to calf slaughter is a whole list of boring, costly, tiresome, pernickety regulations with the familiar enforcement mechanisms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Bang on …saying that for a while …dairy farmers can’t have it all ..dbi and this new carbon index do nothing to improve quality of calves ..slaughter of young calves correctly going …although I think some form of force majoure will remain for something like tb breakdown

Idiotic of the editor to let it go to print …and jaysus the lad that wrote it …scary to think we’ve people with that attitude in the industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But there is a few flaws in the assumptions. The first is marketing. Cattle killed at 20ish months will have low body weights. 220-280 kgs most in the 250 kg brackets.

While some are economic to do it wih you also ate starting to feed more and more ration to squeeze out the last of the bunch.

Cost of over wintering cattle is not a massive issue. Up until this year decent silage alone to overwinter on costed 80c/day. This year it's about 1.25/ day. Fir a 130 day housing period that is 105 and 160 respectivly.

The animal best fit to slaughter in the autumn is also best for early summer finish. Take a steer killing 260 in the autumn he will probably be an 0= at best at a base of 4.5 he be making 1155 euro gross.

Killing him the following June he will should grade 2 points higher on the grid and probably weight at least 340kgs DW. Generally they will be a higher price as well. Comparing last autumn to last June the difference was a euro++/kg. Compare June to November this year it was 75c/kg++

Even at 40c/kg at a base of 4.9 and the bullock grading R- @340 kgs DW he will gross 1735 with an extra margin of 580 euro.

However it really depend on the animal and there ability to lay down fat and to grade or not to grade.

Slava Ukrainii

As I said above I think it's a perfectly reasonable letter and would be fully supportive of the course of action advocated. The 25% target changes everything and novel suggestions must be engaged with. Putting your head in the sand may be (more) idiotic than the letter!

• Advertisement

Bet u do ….jaysus 😴😴😴…dairy farming is more than about the cow.if we don’t change our attitude to calves(some not all of us)calves should be left to us to rear ….

I half read the letter in the shop as I do not buy the rag. He lost the argument when he started on about protecting the suckler herd.

F@@king idiot and that is being kind to him. All that is happening is the expense of uneconomical calves is being put back on the lad that produces them.

Slava Ukrainii

Agree ….and as for the mental health card he tried to play 😉😉😉attitudes like displayed. In that letter do rest of us farmers no favours

So his opinion is idiotic and yours is not? I beg to differ.

Usually the problem with lads like that's MH is they take on too much. If your attitude is that f@@king calves in a trailer at 10-14 days solved your MH issues then you are going to the wrong counsellor

Slava Ukrainii

Well sorry, you should just go to any co-op product sales manager and ask him. It was no accident that Glanbia pulled the plug on the Greenfield's farm. If you think that calf slaughter is economically acceptable then by all means go and a have a chat with a few product buyers of Irish milk. Nestle will not be buying your product neither will Kerry group or Glanbia in a few years

The Rag and Agriland have given up reporting the number in there weekly kill figure. It's now nearly impossible to access them. Board Bia hides them in with the breeding bull klll and calls them others.

If it not a problem why hide it. Put it out in the open. Be proud announce the figures whether it 25k, 30k or 40k. Other will not hide the figure from 2024 on when it's 100k plus

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭alps

It'll b a vital outlet, that's if the market stays viable without the crossbred calves..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Your looking in the wrong place. Calf slaughter figures including w/c 7/11/22 are 28,272 - just under 8,000 more than the same week last year. Bookmark this link for future reference - https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/605aa-beef-kill-figures-weekly-reports-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

There is a section of the dairy farming community who view bull calves as a waste by-product from milking. There is others who don't want to see it as such and get insulted when it is suggested to them so it is a hot divisive topic.

As with waste from any industry it is the producers responsibility to "dispose" of it properly within the law and within regulations governing that industry. There is a cost involved in the correct disposal of any waste, but there is an element within the dairy farming community that don't want to spend money on this disposal. They are looking for the easiest way out, which for some is the slaughter of calves. Some don't want to spend the money involved in using sexed semen and then using beef sires on the remaining cows, but these will be the cost that will have to absorbed by the dairy farmers if they wish to continue supplying milk without the outlet of calf slaughtering. The days of bring FRx and JEx bull calves to the mart and hoping some lad will pay €5 for them is coming to an end as lads are seeing even at a €5 purchase price these animals are costing to much to rear to beef due to their genetic make up which is to produce milk and not to convert feed to beef...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Put it out there so . Name the processors involved who took the milk from the herds that slaughtered the 30k calves so far this year if you think the approach being suggested is perfectly reasonable .

Would you honestly think that the processors would want this made public ?

As for the bullsh’t about reducing the impact on the environment of rearing these calves , the herds involved could reduce the number of cows they keep . That would reduce their GHG emissions immediately if they are that concerned.

The GHG emissions are levied on the sector not on individual farms. I cannot understand why people prefer onerous requirements - more and more added yearly - to a simple voluntary scheme of calf disposals. The only consequences for the beef sector would be slightly dearer calves. Were it not for the emissions I wouldn't waste my time discussing the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭straight

Giving away a fine calf at 3 weeks for 20 euro average is one thing. Weaning it before sale and gifting it is absolutely a different level again. If I can get my hands on an outside block I'll be keeping mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

And if I had an established dairy farm I'd be taking what I can get for em as soon as I could... grow maize or something on the out block

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

That is your choice. What will an outside block cost 200/a re minimum maybe more. Then what will you do slaughter the HE and AA at 18-20 months from late September to Christmas eating on average 250kg+ ration. Have a shed for them for the first winter and for some 6-8 weeks of the second o e or do you I tend to sell as stores.

Because you are dairy farming you have limited access to ACRES so you are dependent on the animals the selves turning a profit. Now you will be over and back every day to see them. The block you rent or lease may need fencing and done water infrastructure. I see them places often. Badly fenced boundaries, 2-3 blocks with one drinking trough each or access to water at a stream or Lough.

You will get fed up of it fast enough

Slava Ukrainii

Are you a dairy farmer. are you over the age of 28-30 was your farm always in dairy 🤔 .are you not embarrassed to think that you've a god given right to kill young animals for no other reason than there expensive and troublesome.

And what exactly are you smoking. .........cos its good **** and I'd like some.

I intend buying a place. Intend selling as stores for 7 to 800 euro. Already have sheds in place. Wouldn't bother with acres BS.

Think u need to go back and run a few figures …..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭DBK1

If you think €7 - €800 stores will be earning you enough of money to make the payments on whatever place you buy then I’d love to be in whatever dreamland you’re currently in.

As green dairies just said to another poster, “what exactly are you smoking. ………cos it’s good **** and I’d like some!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

No different than the shearing of sheep has become a cost to lamb production, the dairy bull calf at 3 weeks or 8 weeks has become a cost to milk production. Sheep farmers have got their heads around that long ago so no reason why dairy farmers can't grasp this new reality in relation to calves. No need for all the moaning with cows grossing 3 or 4k in milk or God given right to make money on a byproduct.

I agree with your post clover but imo the biggest crime and problem of the lot is that it was let to get this way with small narrow. Runs of cows that produce a very poor off spring. This idea was pushed as the easy way to get rich and build big numbers and that any lathacho can look after them and milk them.......... farmers that are producing calves that are very poor quality it's your own problem nobody else's. The fact that the farmers in question are willing to slaughter them brings into question the quality of care before slaughter

You obviously didn't read my letter properly. In it I said the ONLY reason I was discussing the topic was in light of the 25% cut required for emissions.

Being expensive /troublesome has nothing to do with. I buy/rear 60 plus calves every year.

You won't make/exceed the rental value for 10 years.

Not bothered about the payments. It'll be a little retirement farm for me as I don't intend milking cows in 20 years time

I have brought calves home from the mart with no bid for them. Sold them for 700 to 800 the following year. It's not all about figures for me. I want a little retirement/hobby farm for when I hang up my clusters.

Fair enough but the economics don’t stack up ….when I hang up the clusters think I’d like to go contract rearing ….or maby just phone my auctioneer …stick it up for lease and and rent it out tax free @400 plus an acre

Shortsighted one dimensional thinking from our advisory bodies and a blind fascination with kiwi dairying above anything else has us here

Ya, I have family if they want my farm but if they don't want it I'd lease it out as a dairy farm. Need a small place then to keep myself ticking over. Couldn't sit around the house with the wife all day like 😉.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Renting land tax free won't be there forever. If they did stop it it would probably reduce the amount of land being intensively farmed which is what they want anyway

What if I said you could retire to the sunshine of Lanzarote AND milk cows over there?

They're milking 60 Jersey cows (not sure what they do with the bull calves) but I'm guessing they might be looking for experienced Irish lads to do the odd Sunday morning milking 😀

I bought my farm twenty years ago. The first day I we t to the mart in mid March I bought 5 AA bullocks 340 kgs, three LM 330 ,and a few really badly done Friesian just squeezed 250 kgs they were all bullocks.

I finished the AA that December they hung 280kgs average. The LM hung 360 DW the following July and the Friesian's hung 340 DW around the same time. Now I was only starting out and made loads of mistakes.

Up until 6-8 years ago there was no problem buying AA &HE bullocks that would hang 360+ kg at 28-30 months nowadays less than 50% will do that and the rest are pure muck.

I be doing cattle better especially over the winter. The solution is better quality cattle not a calf slaughter policy hiding behind a save the suckler or an emission policy.

The whole thinking on milk expansion never probably factored in labour input, housing, production levels or calf quality. But even they all know that calf slaughter is not the answer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Correct Bass, its weight that the factory pays for, so you need an animal that will carry weight. If you aren't killing an animal that is killing out in the 300 kgs + bracket you are wasting your time. A little frame of a thing is no good for beef. Its why there was a good turn in the Holstein friesian, they might grade poor but with good summer grass they can put on plenty of weight.

Interesting that the editorial in the IFJ this week has a sentence that says, "By dairy beef we mean an animal produced by using a beef sire on a black and white milking cow." (emphasis mine)

Does it seem strange to mention a particular type of cow? What about the type of cow not mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Advertisement

I keep from posting on these threads as it's always the same roundabouts being posted. If the beef lads want good calves go to the farms and source them, no point moaning again and again about jex in marts, how dairy farmers don't feed bull calves etc etc, it's the same stuff just a different thread over and over. Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Source good calves, that’s grand. What is done with the poor quality calves?

My point is every thread on this turns into a dairy farmer slating exercise, blaming teagasc, farmers journal etc. Let those who have crap calves deal with them and deal with the consequences. No point rehashing it every few weeks under a different title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

That's a very simplistic view on the whole topic. I'm afraid it's a lot more serious for the industry and deserves every minute of debate.

And will there be any different posts than the ones that have been in the other numerous threads? No point losing sleep over what other people are at, it's their problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement