Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative to DCM for 2023

• 19-11-2022 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi all.

Like many frustrated runners who have been let down by the shambles of DCM registration, I am on lookout for some good alternative options outside of Ireland for autumn.

I know Berlin, frankfurt, Amsterdam are main ones. can be pricey trips when flights and accommodation are factored in too. Just wondering if there are any other great marathons in uk or Europe around sept-November.

weighing it up against maybe a marathon in first half of year but feedback about limerick and cork has been very little.

DCM has been a major let down with this lottery for a race that will fall well short on numbers on race day again. and be loaded with runners competing under another name, in some cases a different gender. what do they say about doing the same thing and getting the same result? but shur look we have to move on and give our business elsewhere.

very interested in options for good fair course marathons to aim for in 2023 that won't break the bank travelling too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

You can’t compare 2022 to any other year with drop outs. Even a Ireland marathon where you’ve to stay over will cost you a few quid also. A group of us usual go to Limerick to do various of the races but not this time. 2 nights where we usually stay gone up over 25%. They can keep it. I did a up and down for half this as I had a number from years ago but we won’t be going next year.

Relax you might still get a number

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Edit - not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

to be honest at this stage I'd pay more to go elsewhere. the DCM fiasco has soured alot of people i know including myself.

the timing of registration is prob a big issue too. lots of people full with great intentions registering and taking up spots in the chance they might do it next year. I even know some friends who just register and I can guarantee you will not do it. the absence of a transfer system and refusal to have one is baffling aswell as hugely frustrating.

What is the fiasco? They was a lottery like other marathons. There’s only so many places available. Some races like trim 10 miler sold out in a few hours. Is that fairer? If for whatever reason you couldn’t enter during the window you’ve no chance of entering. Is that a fiasco?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

There are lots and lots of marathons around Europe. Do a bit of research, check prices, course, flights and so on. A few near me that come to mind are Cologne, Metz, Karlsruhe (don't know if they still do that. I did it about 7 years ago. quite enjoyable.) Never done Cologne though it's near. Metz is a very small field and no nearby airport.... But there will be quite a few others around October time. Then of course there's your San Seb, Valencia, Malaga a bit later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

They can stick their lottery.

the fiasco is having a lottery for an event that didn't even get 16k participants. when has the race ever hit its capacity?

its unfair that all entries are not open to everybody. 10k runners didn't run it this year and they still got offered a guaranteed place as priority. well over 1k runners ran under another name. the person they ran under got offered a guaranteed place too.

trim is fairer in that its open to everybody. an even playing field to get in. trim facilitates a transfer system also. DCM out of complete ignorance have refused thousands of requests to provide a transfer system.

I dunno if its just being run by old school people who are backward in their ways but it has really annoyed a huge amount of committed runners who have genuine hopes of running it. not I'll register and see closer to the time arse holes.

they need to;

1. not open registrations so close after marathon. wait till end of January early Feb. you'll get the real interest then from people who will put in the work.

2. Open it to everybody. no priority for anybody.

3. have a bloody transfer system like most events.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They had brought in a refund system in 2020. Then covid happened

2022 is a strange year but clearly there is a market there given the volume of lottery entries and the refund system will be back again at the start of next summer.

No matter what way they run it, there will be a percentage of no shows

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

I'd say give them a shout, they are always looking for volunteers to help out with the running of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

There's nothing wrong with Limerick. Scenic route with good support around the city. No event is perfect, everywhere has it's pro's and a few cons.

• Advertisement

the damage is already done. 2023 is already organised...poorly. your smart ass comment in the absence of any argument is not really helpful

Damage? Your great idea is not to give places to clubs and people who run it every year but instead open it to everyone in Jan/Feb when it will be flooded with New Years resolution runners who will have no interest by October. Get off the stage.

How is it organised poorly if they are selling record numbers of entries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

1. Agree it was too soon but that was always the way it was done, before it became a box ticking exercise like it has for so many(I long for the day we go back to 10,000). March would be best time but logistics I'm sure have to be considered.

2. Has to be some loyalty to people who support the race year in year out. GFA has to be encouraged as have club and category championships.

3. Other marathons don't have a transfer system, they have a deferral process, most allow a free deferral. Some charge for it. Refund is as fair as you will get, but it needs to be a fair bit closer to account for injuries, up to late August will a rolling waiting list would be fair. 48hrs once you get notified on the list or you lose your place in the queue.

10k didn't run it this year and got offered guaranteed place. over another thousand ran it under another name and the named entrant got offered a guaranteed place. is that fair? get off the stage yourself ya clown.

its time enough open it early March. ul get the genuine runners who will actually put in the work.

refund system all well and good but it feeds into the vacant places. People register in the small chance they might run it but have the backup of a refund if they decide against it.

its pretty clear from the stats that the event never hits capacity, thousands of vacant places on the day, and thousands running under another name (a dangerous scenario with emergency contact info incorrect). that's just brilliant when so many committed runners don't have a place. its ridiculous.

Plenty of events have the same issues and they are all run the same or similar.

There is 2nd lottery place on offer next week with places available from R1 who don't accept.

There will be further lottery next summer.

No matter what they do you will whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Where are you getting this stat of thousands running under another name?

As you seem to be in the know how many of 10000 none finishers took up the option for 2023? Same for finishers?

Wouldn't have access to that breakdown. its likely a sizeable amount did based on the fact that so many people missed out via the lottery so places were obviously limited via that. I can say I know 11 people who did not run 2022 and they all got offered the place and have registered.

another 3 had someone else run under there name and they have themselves accepted the place for 2023.

il be shocked if 50% of the above end up running it come next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

Is it fair that people that took part the year before automatically get a place the following year? I have gotten a place again but I have two friends that had entry last year and didn't take part. They have claimed entry again and I feel like they wont take part. Would a lottery for all not be the fairest?

Hard to please everyone

• Advertisement

And your hurling from the ditch is incredibly easy. You are moaning cos you didnt get in, simple as that. If you had gotten in, would you have created this thread? Unlikely. So that means you dont believe it was organized poorly, just that you didnt get it.

Every year people piss and moan about events that are organized by volunteers mainly. It gets pretty tiresome reading it every year without any of the moaners actually getting up off their holes and doing something about it

It’s a change from the ones who trained all year and it sold out or closed and they weren’t told about it.

Yes wouldn’t be a whisper out of them if they got a number

to correct you, I actually have contacted the organisers via email a number of years querying would they put a transfer system in place. each time getting the same response that they won't have a transfer system for the next upcoming marathon but it is definitely something they are looking into. thus is going on for years.

doesn't bother me massively that I didn't get in via a lottery for an event that has never reached its capacity. it would of been pretty nice from a convenience point to run it again. instead of now having to travel abroad unnecessarily. yes I have run it many times. this year is the first I missed in 5 DCM events. so I think I put in the effort thanks all the same.

if you have an issue with me not volunteering to organise the event thats well and good but a pretty lazy argument. I put my time into participating in running and GAA while I still can. there will be a time when we all can't and then would be the time to be an organiser.

Well then I'd bet you'd have an issue with people moaning about the way your organized or helped out at a GAA event? Sure it's a joke the way fans of counties don't get all the tickets for the all Ireland, what does every county get them etc etc

not a gaa forum. the topic is the issue priority treatment being given to runners who did not participate.

Which the majority of people have no issue with. Except the few whingers who thought they should get an entry.

How many times have you done Dublin before?

An alternative option to the DCM may be Lisbon or Amsterdam. I think the Galway marathon is on around the same time but Ive never run it

So ye must be sick of it.

Do Dingle in September. Very scenic, great park of the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any word on when Galway opens? Didn't sign up for Dublin this year

Advertisement