Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Note how Pat let the interview flow along with minimal interference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

He actually listened to Brian, unlike somebody else I could mention!

yes Tubs, it’s you I’m thinking of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭hamburgham

My understanding was that there was a shortage of permanent positions, maybe something to do with the ridiculous 5 year career break allowing them to take off to the Middle East.

Also, how come there are so few non Irish national teachers?. I gather the Ukrainian kids are streets ahead of their Irish peers in maths. Their teachers must be superior too. I bet every barrier imaginable will be put in front of any Ukrainians here who tried to get a teaching position.

The interview with Martin O’Neil the other day was one of the most boring things I’ve heard in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I would assume that the Irish language would be the barrier to non-Irish becoming teachers.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

shouldn’t be for secondary.

and even in primary, there could easily be work arounds. Swap with an Irish trained teacher for Irish classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Not sure how workable that is……does the non Irish speaking primary teacher go into the other classroom and teach history to the students who have lost their teacher temporarily.

Or do we need to have reserve teachers who can speak Irish to fulfill the Irish requirement. Might be just easier to hire an Irish speaking teacher in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Since Eoin left OTB, the people they have in for a chat with Pat on a Friday morning are embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I woke up earlier to hear two people debating the increasing in road tolls/road rage

Mannix Flynn shouting at 100mph - blood pressure rising (even though still half asleep).....

Some nice psychologist lady, voice of reason - and calm down a bit.....

M Flynn, scattergunning anger and rage - bpm right back up again

Nice lady - and, breathe....

M Flynn - Shouty McShouty - heart racing again

Nice lady - and, caaaalllllmmmmm down.

I can't actually remember the details of the debate due to being half asleep, but if ever there was a lesson in HOW (or not) to conduct a debate/discussion, this was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I will have to catch up on that to hear it. Roddy Collins was good a couple of days ago - he was flogging a book though. Himself and Pat were getting on like house on fire.

Roddy always seems like a big softie to me. I remember they did a behind the scenes thing with Monaghan United on Setanta. He was shedding a tear for the Monaghan lads who were going to lose their jobs.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Who's the Qutar regime mouthpiece on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

This piece with the Qatari comedian, born in Dublin, is a bit awkward. Pat was 100% holding back and didnt want to ask any difficult questions, which was surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Feck, missed that.

Can't be much to laugh about in that benighted sandpit.

People are so dense they have to be told not to buy pets at Xmas.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I thought the way the Qatari comedian said that the Qatari people felt as though their team was "disrespecting" Qatari nation was an odd thing to say. Given that the lad is Irish born his handle on the English language is the same as mine.

He was certainly on message.

The fact that Pat didn't take that Qatari lad to task this morning is just another example of a broadcaster being afraid to open their mouth to somebody in case they are accused of racism.

This clown said the stories of migrant deaths and mistreatment in the construction of stadia and human rights issues were mostly "clickbait". The brass neck of this fella to come out with something like that.

Pat allowing it to go unchallenged was surprising. He probably had some "right on" producer in his ear urging him to keep stum.

Another blatant example of hypocrisy that is all too apparent in the media these days. Following day after day of commentators and presenters giving out about Qatar and as soon as a Qatari is interviewed the tune changes. Gutless fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Tis true, everyone thinks in their own mind they'd be an Oscar Schindler were they by some sort of magic transported back to the early 40s, the truth unfortunately is somewhat different, when the chance came to do or say something the survival instinct took over, whether that means putting your job or your life in jeopardy the action would be by and large the same except for those brave few imv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

Listening to yet another exchange on housing today with architect Orla Hegarty makes my head spin as every 'solution' seems to run into a roadblock or generate another problem. But overarching everything ...surely part of the overall amelioration of the housing scene must be a renewed commitment to decentralisation. A whole ring of cities and large towns are ripe for more development .

Plus ,anytime I drive around the country or take the train I'm struck by the huge tracts of empty land ....no crops or livestock and many fields just full of weeds and thistles . Given that the national herd is likely to reduce and given the capacity of more people to work from home or indeed anywhere with broadband -the pressure must be taken off Dublin with more rational dispersal of personnel and facilities . Yet the word' decentralisation' was never mentioned.

Post edited by boardise on

Then you run into the inevitable howls from Tofu-eating, push bike cycling, Dublin-centric Ireland that these remote sites can only be serviced by private cars!

Jaysus, I thought that bit of audio was from an Oul Wan in the 60s when it was trailed earlier, the accent but particularly the 21 grand children!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

I'm constantly intrigued by Pat's tendency over many years to say the phrase 'Thank you very much for joining us' with a momentary pause between 'for' and 'joining'. Sometimes ,as just now with the football guy ,he puts in the hesitational syllable 'er' .

I can't figure out what's going on here -even with my linguistics background. A puzzling psychophonological quirk indeed.

Anyone got any theories ? Thank you very much in advance for ,er, your replies.😁

Pat discussing NIMBYism now. Awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

Michelle Norris had a good interview with B Dobson on News at One last Tuesday. A prof in UCD. Had a good knowledge of the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm confused about the show. At the start, he plays clips of interviews with upcoming contributors. Does this mean that lots of the show is pre recorded and Pat is just stitching it together and doing some live in studio interviews?

Nationalists: Unionists are rooted in the past, stubborn, dinosaurs, obsessed with flegs and symbols.

Also Nationalists: But but, we want to keep our anthem, flegs and symbols!

It's very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah and the Republicans say the past is in the past - then proceed to celebrate the past at every opportunity. But only the bits that suit them.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you hear clips in advance of the item then clearly it is pre recorded.

Items are pre recorded for many reasons.

Sometimes time difference, sometimes availability of contributors.

It shouldn't make any difference to the listener.

Good Grief, that Corr stuff is fuckin awful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Advertisement