Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭hometruths

It works by establishing a narrative through media, both online and off etc, that the consensus is solid, it is so solid in fact that anybody who questions that consensus automatically can be dismissed.

A good example being your dismissal of John Ioannidis. You appear to have no knowledge of his views at all, let alone an argument as to why those views are dubious. You just know that because he has questioned the consensus, he is wrong. A strong narrative has reassured you of this fact. A quick google and the intro in an article on the Science Based Medicine Blog confirms your belief.

I see two problems with this interpretation of the consensus.

a) By its very nature consensus can only arise from all different opinions being aired and assessed, a discussion of them leading to a consensus. My confidence in the consensus around all things Covid, is I don't remember at any stage when different opinions were being discussed with an open mind. If any questioning of the consensus was vilified on day 1 how was the consensus arrived at in the first place?

Have I got this wrong? Given your confidence in the consensus, can you point to a time when scientists like John Ioannidis's were seriously considered or were they dubious from day 1?

b) Ioannidis' views deemed dubious/extremist/fringe/dangerous whatever was that back in early pandemic days he claimed the Covid infection fatality rate was significantly less than first feared. From the article you linked to dismiss him:

Using this seroprevalence, Ioannidis and his colleagues concluded that the overall IFR of COVID-19 was around 0.17% (interval: 0.12%-0.2%), only somewhat higher than seasonal influenza at 0.1%. Predictably, this helped feed the narrative at the time that “COVID-19 is not much worse than the flu”, a narrative that still continues to this day.

Now of course back then information was thin on the ground. Critics of Ioannidis' calculation claimed he couldn't possible be certain of this, it was early days etc. True, but logic holds equally his critics couldn't be certain he was wrong. The consensus estimates of the IFR at the time were well in excess of 1%, significantly higher than Ioannidis' estimate of 0.17%. Obviously somebody was wrong - either the consensus or Ioannadis.

Of course 18 months later we have the benefit of both hindsight and much better data to judge these figures.

You often quote the consensus. What is the current consensus of the IFR pre vaccine and how does it compare to Ioannidis' estimates of April 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I think this is going to be the next big thing in the conspiracy field.

As the consequences of climate change start hitting we're going to see a lot of the same outlets we see on this thread (ie. Natural News and Epoch Times etc.) start pushing climate denial to the forefront.

I suspect with the right leaning bent we're seeing in a lot of conspiracy theorists, they'll eat this shite up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The methodology he used to establish IFR - show us where the same methodology and similar data set was applied to calculating IFR for flu so that a reliable comparison can be made?

And as noted above, IFR is only one piece of the equation. Infection rate is crucial.

Ioannidis's earlier estimates are challenged here.

Levin and colleagues (December, 2020) estimated that 90% of variation in the IFR among countries from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development was explainable by age. Meyerowitz-Katz and Merone (July, 2020) and Ioannidis (September, 2020) estimated IFRs of 0·68% and 0·27% in their respective samples, but did not account for age structure of the source populations...

The countries with the highest IFR on July 15, 2020, were Portugal (2·085%, 0·946–4·395), Monaco (1·778%, 1·265–2·915), Japan (1·750%, 1·302–2·690), Spain (1·710%, 0·991–2·718), and Greece (1·637%, 1·155–2·678). All-age IFR varied by a factor of more than 30 among 190 countries and territories. After age standardisation, the countries with the highest IFR on July 15, 2020, were Peru (0·911%, 0·636–1·538), Portugal (0·850%, 0·386–1·793), Oman (0·762%, 0·381–1·399), Spain (0·751%, 0·435–1·193), and Mexico (0·717%, 0·426–1·404)... During the pre-vaccine period, the estimated 33% decrease in median IFR over 8 months suggests that treatment for COVID-19 has improved over time.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02867-1/fulltext

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And here you are arguing that something is wrong just because it's part of a blog.

More hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Okay, but who was creating the narrative? How were they coerced to, were they paid? How many are we talking here?

I don't recall that narrative in the media, reports and views were divided on what the vaccine would achieve. Some were optimistic, some were cautious.

It really sounds like you are inventing all of this after the fact. You believed the vaccines would do much more, you felt you were "lied" to and have become bitter and fanatical (hundreds of posts here) about it.

Instead of admitting that, you are creating this really vague global conspiracy..

• Advertisement

I remember people thinking that the vaccines would stop Covid in it's tracks, even some experts. It doesn't mean it's some big nefarious created "narrative", it's just what some people thought/hoped at the time.

Even if the vaccines did nothing but reduce deaths by only 20% there still would have been a world-wide push for them. It's not like their uptake hinged on being 100% effective at everything.

Unfortunately for us, the virus mutates, a lot, ergo we have to get boosters. That isn't some big "trick" either.

Some individuals have an extremely hard time coping with the fact that we don't know everything and we aren't in control of everything.

Do you have any opinion on how fringe/extreme/wacky/dangerous Ioannidis' views look with the benefit of hindsight?

His theory that initially we were overestimating the fatality rate because we were underestimating the amount of cases looks to be pretty sound in hindsight to me. Would you agree?

Because obviously either hindsight has vindicated his views or his detractors? Which is it?

He is at least partly wrong because his figures were not age adjusted, and while his figures for specific age IFRs are correct his overall IFR is dubious.

If cases were underestimated, how does that matter in terms of actual number of fatal cases?

If people were operating on the assumption of 1% of 1000 cases, but instead it was 0.5% of 2000 cases - who was wrong? Did it make a significant difference? Or is this all 'academic' and made no difference on the ground.

If his principles of underestimation of cases is followed, does it not apply to all previous IFRs, e.g. for flu?

So in terms of benchmark of comparing the severity of diseases, he was wrong - or perhaps rather people who extrapolate from his findings to compare to other diseases are wrong.

When we look at this Ioannidis guy, who you didn't know until he either turned up in your anti-vax feed or another anti-vaxxer mentioned him, we can be guaranteed of one thing: he'll have controversial/questionable views.

Let's just have a brief look at Wiki:

"In an editorial on STAT published March 17, 2020, Ioannidis wondered whether the global response to the COVID-19 pandemic may be a "once-in-a-century evidence fiasco" and asked for obtaining more reliable data to deal with the pandemic.[7] He estimated that the coronavirus could cause 10,000 U.S. deaths if it infected 1% of the U.S. population, and argued that more data was needed to determine how widely the virus would spread.[129][5][7] The virus in fact eventually became widely disseminated, and would cause more than one million deaths in the U.S.[130][129][5] Ioannidis expressed doubt that vaccines or treatments would be developed and tested in time to affect how the pandemic would unfold.[131] Marc Lipsitch, Director of the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, objected to Ioannidis's characterization of the global response in a reply that was published on STAT the next day after Ioannidis's.[132] Ioannidis later stated that early in 2020 he wrote about needing more data, without that meaning he was mocking those who worried about COVID-19, and that he was elated with the quick development of vaccines and treatments, and the scientific progress made since 2020.[133][third-party source needed]

In March 2020, Ioannidis tried to organize a meeting at the White House where he and colleagues would caution President Donald Trump against "shutting down the country for [a] very long time and jeopardizing so many lives in doing this," according to a proposal he submitted. The meeting did not come to pass, but on March 28, after Trump said he wanted the country reopened by Easter, Ioannidis wrote to his colleagues, "I think our ideas have inflitrated [sic] the White House regardless".[5]

Ioannidis widely promoted a study of which he had been co-author, "COVID-19 Antibody Seroprevalence in Santa Clara County, California", released as a preprint on April 17, 2020. It asserted that Santa Clara County's number of infections was between 50 and 85 times higher than the official count, putting the virus's fatality rate as low as 0.1% to 0.2%.[n 1][135][130] Ioannidis concluded from the study that the coronavirus is "not the apocalyptic problem we thought".[136] The message found favor with right-wing media outlets, but the paper drew criticism from a number of epidemiologists who said its testing was inaccurate and its methods were sloppy.[137][138][139] Writing for Wired, David H. Freedman said that the Santa Clara study compromised Ioannidis's previously excellent reputation and meant that future generations of scientists may remember him as "the fringe scientist who pumped up a bad study that supported a crazy right-wing conspiracy theory in the middle of a massive health crisis."[6] Ioannidis has also promoted the idea that there were financial incentives to put COVID-19 on death certificates and as such, they were unreliable during the pandemic, as well as the idea that doctors killed COVID-19 patients through premature intubations. Both of these beliefs contradict the available evidence.[140][citation needed]

It was later reported that the study received $5,000 in funding from the founder of the JetBlue airline, which led to criticism over a potential conflict of interest.[141][142] In a guest opinion article in Scientific American, former colleagues of Ioannidis wrote that a legal firm had determined he had no financial conflict.[143] A review by the Stanford School of Medicine faulted the study for shortcomings including a public perception of a conflict of interest, but found "no evidence that any of the study funders influenced the design, execution, or reporting of the study".[129]

Amid controversy over his COVID-19 work and his frequent televised interviews, Ioannidis was harassed in memes and emails, including one falsely claiming his mother died of COVID-19. Some scientists and commentators voiced concerns over the backlash and the highly politicized scientific dispute in general.[129][144]

In March 2021 Ioannidis estimated the global infection fatality rate from COVID-19 at 0.15%, in an article in the European Journal of Clinical Investigation (EJCI).[145] In an article in Science-Based MedicineDavid Gorski said that the EJCI article included ad hominem criticisms against a co-author of a higher estimate who had criticized his work on Twitter.[130]

In February 2022 Ioannidis co-authored a paper examining the role of indoor and outdoor air quality in the spread of SARS-CoV-2, which concluded that environmental health may be a crucial component in the prevention of COVID-19 and suggested preventive measures such as indoor CO2 monitoring and mechanical ventilation.[146]

In 2022, Ioannidis authored a paper in BMJ Open arguing that signatories of the Great Barrington Declaration were shunned as a fringe minority by those in favor of the John Snow Memorandum. According to him, the latter used their large numbers of followers on Twitter and other social media and op-eds to shape a scientific groupthink against the former, who had less influence as measured by the Kardashian Index.[147][148] The BMJ published responses to his paper, including a comment by Gavin YameyDavid Gorski, and Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz which argued that Ioannidis's paper featured "factual errors, statistical shortcomings, failure to protect the named research subjects from harm, and potentially undeclared conflicts of interest that entirely undermine the analysis presented."[149] In the same exchange of comments on The BMJ, Ioannidis addressed the concerns of Yamey, Gorski and Meyerovitz-Katz in his "Fourth set of replies", additionally stating that his "COVID-19 papers have been cited about 5 thousand times in the scientific literature by tens of thousands of scientists and were discussed by millions of people," and dismissed conflict of interest by asserting that he did not sign the Great Barrington Declaration or any other petition or signature collection on COVID-19, as he is against the notion that scientific matters and evidence could be decided by signature collections and prefers these matters be handled by heavily moderated public debates.[150]

And there it is. Whenever any expert speaks out or is perceived to speak out in any way against masks, lockdowns or vaccines, they immediately become a hero of the anti-vax movement, who laud them as mavericks railing against a cabal of evil scientists and mainstream media narratives.

Prior to his controversial Covid beliefs he seems to have a half decent resume and history. Perhaps he made a mistake (experts do) and has doubled-down on it since, not impossible, this does happen in the world of science, there are many egos.

The last guy you lauded turned out to be a libertarian who was a co-creator of the Great Barrington Declaration.. because of course he was.

There's plenty of bad scientists, or good scientists gone bad, or decent scientists who've made bad decisions in science - but the good thing is they generally get exposed.

Irrespective of what his wikipedia page says, would you agree with the following statement:

His theory that initially we were overestimating the fatality rate because we were underestimating the amount of cases looks to be pretty sound in hindsight to me.

Because what his wikipedia page says makes no difference to the whether the above is true or not. I am claiming that hindsight has proved him right on this. What do you think?

Furthermore you have just copied and pasted his wikipedia entry without any comment on what is there that marks him out in your eyes as either a bad scientist, or a good scientists gone bad, or a decent scientist who has made a bad decisions in science.

What is it specifically about Ioannidis that makes his opinion so laughable compared to the opinion of David Gorski for example?

It seems odd you are so confident in the consensus of experts who say one thing, and so dismissive of experts who say another, yet appear to be unable to actually explain in your own opinion why the views of those experts who question the consensus should be dismissed other than saying "Wikipedia told me so".

• Advertisement

I've asked you multiple times to provide details of your conspiracy, it seems you really don't want to do that.

As explained previously, 9/11 truthers trot out lines of experts who believe 9/11 was an inside job and "challenge" people into explaining why those experts are wrong. No one has to. Those experts just have to explain the conspiracy, which they can't do.

Hence I am asking about your conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

@hometruths Why have you latched into someone you only heard of yesterday? You just accept what the other poster said and rolled with it because he made some argument that you could twist into your beliefs. Not one ounce of thought invoked.

Just heard about him yesterday. That old chestnut. Ioannidis is pretty famous.

I have linked to his work on this thread before, and here on another forum in November 2021 - https://****/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=316&p=19023#p19023

He is noteworthy in the current discussion for a couple of reasons:

a) he is an excellent example of the new breed of Covid anti-vaxxers we were discussing yesterday. As I mentioned this new breed count a surprising amount of world renowned scientists amongst their number compared to the last lot.

b) he's an excellent example of why the argument that all credible experts agree with the consensus is utter nonsense. He clearly doesn't agree with the consensus, and hindsight has proved him right, so it is pretty difficult to attack his credibility, no matter how much you paste from wikipedia.

Edit - just noticed that link from November 21 is censored for some reason, here is the site:

Post edited by hometruths on

A) He's noteworthy to anti-vaxxers, who will latch onto anyone with credentials who appear in any way to be "on their side".

B) Gaslighting

Maybe you could point me to your previous posts on him, and if you can identify those posts, please explain why you are trying to have the same arguments again as would have occurred back then.

Do not you believe me that I heard of him before yesterday?! Or is there some other point you're trying to make I am missing?

I am not trying to have the same arguments again. I will repeat.

He is noteworthy in the current discussion for a couple of reasons:

a) he is an excellent example of the new breed of Covid anti-vaxxers we were discussing yesterday. As I mentioned this new breed count a surprising amount of world renowned scientists amongst their number compared to the last lot.

b) he's an excellent example of why the argument that all credible experts agree with the consensus is utter nonsense. He clearly doesn't agree with the consensus, and hindsight has proved him right, so it is pretty difficult to attack his credibility, no matter how much you paste from wikipedia.

On this thread some time last month I linked to a more uptodate paper of his on the IFR, the point I was making was related the IFR in age differences. If I recall correctly it was in relation to odysseys recurring argument about Omicron and Hong Kong. I think I was using Ioannidis' age stratified IFRs to illustrate the point those who suffered in Hong Kong were vulnerable principally because of their age, rather than their vaccination status.

But the search function on here is such that I am not inclined to trawl through to find that post simply to prove to you that I heard of him before yesterday.

On the other site I posted a link to this article authored by him: How the Pandemic Is Changing the Norms of Science

And quoted this:

Consultants who made millions of dollars from corporate and government consultation were given prestigious positions, power, and public praise, while unconflicted scientists who worked pro bono but dared to question dominant narratives were smeared as being conflicted. Organized skepticism was seen as a threat to public health. There was a clash between two schools of thought, authoritarian public health versus science—and science lost.

Honest, continuous questioning and exploration of alternative paths are indispensable for good science. In the authoritarian (as opposed to participatory) version of public health, these activities were seen as treason and desertion.

Ok, that’s a no then.

I won’t be going to any other site either. It’s weird that you actually want someone to visit another forum.

I don't care whether you visit another forum or not. For whatever reason you are stating that I only heard of this guy yesterday, and that thought seems to bother you. I am offering you a way to satisfy yourself that I had heard of him before yesterday, but I don't actually care whether you do so or not.

More misattributing arguments to people.

No one claimed that every scientist agreed with the consensus.

Looks like you're pushing your anti vaxx agenda on multiple forums too. Weird.

Post edited by King Mob on

Yea. really weird how he was whinging about wanting to discuss a conspiracy that he'd been denying he believed in for a few hundred pages, but now has clammed up about it again to harp on about his pet expert.

• Advertisement

It's not that I don't want to discuss the conspiracy, it's just that we are in a bit of a Catch 22. Ioannidis is a good example of it.

I think there is no argument that a) pre Covid he was hugely respected and influential and b) now he has been widely discredited for spreading dangerous misinformation.

Where we differ is on whether or not what he said was dangerous misinformation.

I've read what he said and I think that hindsight has proven him to be correct. I'm not sure whether you have read what he said or not, you have made no comment on it.

Given that I think he was right, to me the fact a quick 5 second search on google results in numerous sources him branding him as a misinformation spreader etc is evidence that credible experts are being discredited as quacks.

To you it is evidence that he is a conspiracy theorist darling who can be dismissed without any further consideration, irrespective of what he actually said.

My argument obviously hinges on whether what he said was dangerous misinformation or not.

The only solution to that is to discuss and debate what he actually said, why you think he was wrong, why I think he was right etc, but if you're not willing to do that, fine I am not going to badger you to do so, but then we're stuck in the Catch 22.

But you don't do any checking into these guys or any of the details of what they actually claim. We've already seen that you don't read half the things you link dump and you've shown that you don't question anything that comes from an anti-vaxx source.

You simply declare them as infallible because they have a long list of credentials that you can copy and paste.

This is because that's how the grifters you follow on twitter or whatever work.

They understand that their audience/targets don't look into things and are easily impressed by long lists of qualifications.

You don't want to acknowledge this is a thing that happens. That's fine. Everyone else understands this.

You don't believe that he's spreading misinformation because you have a blindspot when it comes to anti-vaxx propaganda.

Whenever you see it, you either attempt to justify it or completely edit it out of your reality. If anyone attempts to discuss this expert's claims you'll quickly revert to your usual "MO" of dodging and ducking and distraction.

It's also still funny that you're dismissing the opinions of the highly qualified people behind Science Based Medicine and you're accusing them of being part of a global conspiracy based on nothing at all beside that you don't like their opinion. Just displays your constant, unabashed hypocrisy.

Regarding Ioannidis, he said that the virus might only kill 10k to 40k people in the US. In 2020 he dismissed the idea of 20% to 60% of adults catching Covid as "substantially exaggerated".

In April 2020 he said that the virus had probably peaked.

"Acknowledging for the fact that the epidemic is still evolving, and we cannot be sure whether we will hit even higher peaks in the future, although this doesn’t seem to be the case, at least for the European countries, and it seems to be that even in the US, in most states we’re very close to the peak, if not past the peak, the risk is something that should be manageable as opposed to the panic and horror stories that are circulating about."

Then in August 2020 this whopper:

"However, very few hospitals were eventually stressed and only for a couple of weeks. Most hospitals maintained largely empty wards, expecting tsunamis that never came… Tragically, many health systems faced major adverse consequences, not by COVID-19 cases overload, but for very different reasons."

Scientists make mistakes, he even acknowledged it himself, he has since done a large U-turn, but thank god he wasn't in charge of any national policy at the time.

On top of that he strongly supports the vaccines

"John Ioannidis (JI): We know that the vaccines that have been used are very effective, in the range of 95%. However, nothing is 100% in reality. So, this means that one still has to be cautious when there is an active epidemic wave. With the current wave, it’s not possible to tell how it will look even a week down the road. Whatever we have been saying about trying to protect yourself and others during the pandemic still makes sense. It’s not something to panic about, but we just need to hold onto that perspective."

You sure you are hitching your wagon to the right horse here?

All of this is just a deflection from the fact that you very openly do not want to discuss your own conspiracy. on a conspiracy forum. It seems very obvious you want to hint at the conspiracy but never detail it, all the while indulging in endless vaccine contrarianism.

Guess he's part of the conspiracy now he's claiming that the vaccines are safe and effective.

Is avoiding the question about whether or not he was right about the early estimates of IFR, and googling for better examples of when he was proved wrong an admission of the fact he was right about the IFR?

Regarding Ioannidis, he said that the virus might only kill 10k to 40k people in the US. In 2020 he dismissed the idea of 20% to 60% of adults catching Covid as "substantially exaggerated".

In April 2020 he said that the virus had probably peaked.

"Acknowledging for the fact that the epidemic is still evolving, and we cannot be sure whether we will hit even higher peaks in the future, although this doesn’t seem to be the case, at least for the European countries, and it seems to be that even in the US, in most states we’re very close to the peak, if not past the peak, the risk is something that should be manageable as opposed to the panic and horror stories that are circulating about."

Any chance you can provide a link for this so we can all see the context? I tried googling it but found nothing.

Then in August 2020 this whopper:

"However, very few hospitals were eventually stressed and only for a couple of weeks. Most hospitals maintained largely empty wards, expecting tsunamis that never came… Tragically, many health systems faced major adverse consequences, not by COVID-19 cases overload, but for very different reasons."

I ddi find a reference to this on the Science Based Medicine Blog. But exactly is the whopper here? Anecdotally, I thought this was true, but I may be wrong, where is the evidence that this is a whopper?

Scientists make mistakes, he even acknowledged it himself, he has since done a large U-turn, but thank god he wasn't in charge of any national policy at the time.

Again, any chance of a link so we can see the details of his U-turn. Because as far as I am aware he has stood by his initial concerns that implementing policy decisions based on overestimating the IFR in April 2020 would cause more damage than the pandemic itself.

"John Ioannidis (JI): We know that the vaccines that have been used are very effective, in the range of 95%. However, nothing is 100% in reality. So, this means that one still has to be cautious when there is an active epidemic wave. With the current wave, it’s not possible to tell how it will look even a week down the road. Whatever we have been saying about trying to protect yourself and others during the pandemic still makes sense. It’s not something to panic about, but we just need to hold onto that perspective."

You sure you are hitching your wagon to the right horse here?

Contrary to your suggestion that I am casting about for any expert that agrees with me, I am not hitching my wagon to any particular horse, I am citing him as an example of a credible scientist who was wrongfully discredited because he questioned the narrative and remains so.

On vaccines I do agree with him that a) the risk reward case for vaccinating children is not clear cut and b) authoritarian attitudes to "trust the sciene" rather than allowing it to be questioned will fuel vaccine hesitancy.

Lol

Dodging and avoiding questions as normal.

Your man there just said that he believed that the vaccines were effective.

You believe that people only push this misinformation because of a conspiracy.

Thus now you have to conclude that your expert is part of the conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭snowcat

https://www.sgst.com.au/news/dangerous-vaccines-to-blame-for-higher-death-rate-says-broadbent-mp

Australia having huge excess deaths as well. I guess its the heatwave.

Summing up, he claimed “international groups of medical specialists are attributing most of these excess deaths to the synthetic mRNA gene technologies. This is the proverbial elephant in the room,” he says.

Nope that is a pack of lies

The excess deaths differences between countries does not track with their vaccination rate. Other factors - aging population, covid and long covid, delayed diagnoses, health service overload and heatwaves - are the primary factors.

There is no conspiracy if it can be proven as false. Which may be impossible after the event. We probably will never know if mRNA have caused the massive excess deaths that we are seeing now where millions are dying above historical norms. There is a reasonable correlation with the rollout of the mRNA injections and the increase in excess deaths. But like climate change we will never have proof but assume certain factors have consequences, We now have a fair guess that CO2 is causing global warming but cannot give proof. The evidence is now mounting that mRNA is causing excess deaths but cannot give proof. I would assume its true but cannot give proof same as CO2 and global warming.

• Advertisement

I said i assumed it was the heatwave..

Basically we will never know what have caused this massive spike in excess deaths but if I was doing the sums I would be asking what has changed radically here in the last 2 years. And if number 1 is Covid and they have not died from it what the feic has caused them to die now.

Advertisement