Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭McFly85

I fully expect Sony to have tool support for devs to port over their PSVR1 games with minimal fuss - but the tech is too different to expect compatibility out of the box.

The question is then will they charge you extra for the PSVR2 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

This decision is being left with the publishers. A couple of the launch titles are also available on PSVR1 and they are free upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

All I wanted from the psvr2 was to have a must have killer game. The way oculus had resident evil 4.

It doesn't seem to have this yet and I don't think the psvr1 ever had one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The games do no interact with the hardware directly at all, developers aren't working at that low level. There are multiple inside-out and outside-in headset that through third party API are able to work as all they're doing is exchanging multiples of 6 numbers. The area of tracking means that some outside-in tacking won't have the scope to work but going the other way the game won't care where it's getting those 6 numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Again, PSVR1 games were built and programmed and released to work on a single hardware configuration. They’re not like PC VR games where developers can build multiple headset support in from the offset. It’s the unavoidable drawback of a closed ecosystem.

At the very least, a typical PSVR1 game will have to be patched by developers to account for the new hardware - heck, typically PS4 games themselves have to be actively patched to take advantage of the extra PS5 horsepower. But in PSVR1’s case, the patching effort may need to include substantial tweaks to UI elements, new input prompts based on a wholly different hardware configuration and methods of receiving data, and in some extreme cases many mechanical / graphical revisions. There are additional developer resources needed, and a system-level backwards compatibility is unfortunately not really feasible due to the poor user experiences that would lead to in many individual game titles. It may work on a basic level, but would be too much of a headache to release to the public.

And, just to make it abundantly clear once again, I say all that while still thinking Sony should be devoting significant resources to allow developers to update their PSVR1 games to the new hardware at no financial risk to themselves and no additional cost to existing owners of the games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As someone that has programmed games for very disparate systems, this is what APIs are for. It might be a different hardware configuration but there's no reason that a more capable system like the psvr2 can't calculate the exact same positional data that a psvr1 game requires that can then be parsed by an API.

It's literally laziness and/or greed from Sony that the psvr2 can't be backwards compatible. It would not be a lot of work for them to develop an API that could work natively or be patched in by Devs. Supporting psvr1 is a bit for of a stretch and can understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Back compatible is a pain in the hole. It's not enough to get the controllers working. They have to ensure the whole game works.

It's likely a small team working on it with limited QA capacity already. You are using that limited resource to play through the full game before you can sign off on it.

That's bad enough when you can sit in front of a TV. But sitting on VR for more than an hour is a struggle for most people. You are prob looking at 3 hours max a day.

And after all that you get a load of below average games that no one will play anyway.

Much easier to say it's not supported.

If I'm forking out €600 I'd want good new games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Do I think there’s probably some way of getting PSVR1 games running on PSVR2? Absolutely. Do I think it’d be a smooth enough experience universally that any modern console company would be happy releasing it to the public? Almost certainly not.

I have no qualms criticising Sony greed - this is the company charging €230 for a bloody controller. But I’d be extremely surprised if the lack of backwards compatibility for PSVR2 is driven by greed / laziness (well, it’s always some small factor). There’s an obvious technical barrier there, and given VR is a medium where any glitch or inconsistency is amplified many times over (to the point of possible player nausea) I can understand why a simple system level backwards compatibility is not a goer.

And above all, a per game patch or upgrade approach has benefits that outweigh the drawbacks. Patching games to reflect the new controllers / inputs and taking advantage of the significantly improved pixel count will be vastly preferable to a crude, blurry system-level backwards compatibility. I do think it’s a shame that means some games will inevitably get left behind on the older hardware, and any move towards paid upgrades I’ll be the first to criticise. But the early indicators at least are positive that there will be games getting patched for free. Fingers crossed that is the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As much as I wouldn't want it exclusive to PSVR2 since I would want to play the game, but they would need to announce a new Astro game for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I fully expect an Astro announcement. And Alyx.

Maybe an Alyx/Astro crossover!!! No...

I too am also in the "Give me NEW games for my NEW PSVR headset please". I feel like that's what is holding back the PS5/XSX, still catering to the last gen. At least we know if it's releasing on PSVR2 it's built for PSVR2. And I think we would see easily the difference between someone upgrading the old game tech with an API (if I'm reading correctly) vs building from the ground up.

Meh, they have my money anyway. I'm not bothered about losing my VR catalogue, I'll just start a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

‘Gears of War’ Video Game Franchise to Get Feature Film, Animated Series Adaptations at Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cautiously optimistic after Castlevania.

Partially pessimistic after 30 years of poor video game -> movie translations

Folks, if you ever happen to end up in Palmer Luckey's office or home (which, given Luckey's public persona, you should probably avoid anyway)... do not, I repeat, do not, try on any VR headsets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This just confirms for me that Sword Art Online is by far and away the worst anime property ever. Not only is it unwatchable scuttery shite that ruined anime for well over a decade by making Isekai popular it's not inspired a sociopathic billionaire to invent new sadistic ways of killing the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bundle that headset with a re-release of Sonic 06 and you’ve got a much more effective way of culling the population than COVID ever was.

And not because of its difficulty, of course.

This is a far better use of technology;

I'm convinced my house is in some sort of time anomaly where the days go faster. How the hell could anyone find the time to make a contraption like this?

Unless of course it's b.s and he's just playing the music and clicking buttons to look like he's playing.

• Advertisement

Some new allegations from Mick Gordon regarding the spat between him and ID software.

Always found the allegations of Mick being unprofessional and not delivering a bit off as there's been no such complaints about him on previous or subsequent games he has worked on.

This hasn't been confirmed yet, but it'll be a sad one for many of us if true - Kevin Conroy has supposedly passed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

66 is too soon, these days. Shítty news; pretty much known for one role - but a role he absolutely made his own. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Absolutely sickened, my favourite portrayal of Batman :( R.I.P Kevin

THE best batman.

Honestly Kevin Conroy is batman for me. Always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Volition being rolled into Gearbox following lacklustre Saints Row reboot.

Could either mean the end of Saints Row as a franchise, or a Gearbox'd version of Saints Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Shame to see it, but did anyone expect that game to do well? Maybe devs will eventually realise that catering to such a small part of the market results in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Poor devs, having to answer to Randy Pitchford

Advertisement