Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Engineers Survey Report? Seems crazy high unless they are doing some testing of materials along with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Have everything sorted on my side but waiting on BOI Mortgages to confirm that my previous mortgage with them was cleared (this was done end of August / start of September). Ahhh. 

They can see it on there system it is. Sounds like messing around with Solicitors head to me. Looking for documentation proof that they themselves are meant to provide to him so that he can return to them!!

My timeline:

June 2022 2 nd week of June - AIP (Second one as had to renew after previous one expired from 2021 on this week) This was a quick process took 4 days using the BOI Online Portal

June / July - Bidding on 2 property's in same area. Submitted first bid on property A (unoccupied) - right before I started the AIP process.

One house a lot of bidding - property B(occupied). Stopped on property B once it hit our budget. Second one property A we were the only bidders and owner was sitting on offer for 7 weeks. Then we just offered 5k more and it was accepted straight away.

Property A (unoccupied) - needs about 50-60k to bring to standard of Property B - but property B would have sold for at least 100k more than A. Property A is slightly larger. Only 4sq meters difference between the two

Sale Agreed 3rd week of July

August - 1st week of August - Booking Deposit

2 week of August - Life Insurance & Home Insurance

3 week of August Engineer and Valuation Reports, submitted to the Bank

4th week of August - had to amend the Home Insurance policy as rebuild cost from Valuation report was higher than I had submitted. This was a pretty simple process/update.

1st week of September - My solicitor receives first contracts from Vendor. (Both solicitors took vacation in August hence delay here)

3rd week of September - Seller had not paid a yearly LPT and needed confirmation from Local Authority that estate was in there charge

2nd week of October - Confirmation from Local Authority that estate was in there charge.

2nd/3rd week of October - Contracts for Sale between my solicitor and vendors solicitor

Issue with BOI Mortgages and BOI Life insurance re the Mortgage protection policy - they cannot see the required information even though they are the same company. BOI Mortgages cannot see that the BOI Life insurance policy will activate once the Mortgage itself is drawn down

Last week of October / today - BOI Mortgages to confirm that my previous mortgage with them was cleared (this was done end of August/ Start of September)

Take away so far. IT Systems in the banks and local authority's are way behind. A lot more automation of processes and workflows can be introduced especially within Branches of same company. Financial Crash really set Irish banks back a decade here on IT spend but there are significant timeline delays as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Unless that includes an electrician, plumber, someone to check timbers, drains, borders, drainage. No, that's super expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Here's my timeline so far. I'm selling a vacant property to a FTB, given a closing date of the 4th week of November. Assuming it goes to plan it will be 13 weeks from sale agreed to closing which is pretty good considering all the delays I'm hearing about.

August

Week 1 - Contacted EA. Met at property

Week 2 - First viewing. Contacted solicitor (they requested title deeds) BER assessment completed

Week 3 - Second viewing

Week 4 - Sale agreed and deposit paid

September

Week 1 - House surveyed

Week 2 - Title deeds received by solicitor. Old works in house needed to be signed off by engineer

Week 3 - Engineer came out and signed off works

Week 4 - Solicitor sent contracts

October

Week 1 -

Week 2 - EA requested contents remaining at property

Week 3 - Solicitor answering pre-contract queries

Week 4 - Valuation. Given closing date

November

Week 1 - ?

Week 2 - ?

Week 3 - ?

Week 4 - Estimated closing date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

No, they're not offering to do any materials testing. They're not even going to physically examine the chimney which seems to have some damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Get other quotes. Mine last year was a fraction of that

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭D n G

I second this advice. We had a survey done May/June and it was €650

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I have only contributed once or twice to this thread. I have followed and read comments though for nearly 2 years since starting out on this journey and it has been an invaluable help and support. I got the keys of my new house on Friday morning after going sale agreed in May. There were plenty of twists and turns along the way and even up until Monday of this week it was looking in doubt but it is a surreal feeling in the end. It has been definitely one of the most stressful things I have ever done and this country makes it so so hard but my advice for everyone out there still looking is to stick with it. You will get there in the end. Best of luck to all those you are still looking and thanks everyone again for all the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭DataDude

Congrats mcsean, you’ve been looking a while! Fingers crossed all goes smoothly from here.

We got a couple quotes for house slightly bigger than that and was always in the €1,000 - €1,500 mark. €4,000 sounds absurd unless it’s doing some specific additional testing above the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Thistley

Whoop whoop! Congratulations. I bet the relief is massive. I hope you settle in soon in your new home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 keane10

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Thanks a million Thistley. Bit of cosmetic work and a lot of cleaning to do on the property but a surreal feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Just got a survey done on a 2 bed apartment for €350. I asked him what was the price now for a survey on a 3 or 4 bed house. €500.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

My solicitor has answered buyers solicitor’s questions and contracts with them now. Hopefully they finalize them and get them back to me with a date to close. Really want this done before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭COH

Quick update here...

27 Oct - Loan pack received by solicitor from Finance Ireland

1 Nov - Solicitor arranges for us to sign contracts on Fri 4 Nov .. hurray!

3 Nov (today) - Curveball.... broker phones to inform us that we may have a better offer incoming from one of the high street banks that requires up to date payslips etc.

So here we are now literally on the eve of signing scrambling to get our docs in for a separate application.

My wife is driven demented, our vendor has the pressure on maximum for us to sign having been sale agreed for an eternity and our solicitor is annoyed that we are putting the brakes on last minute.

Gas craic altogether.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh that’s a toughie! How quick can you draw down from new lender? Is it a much better rate? Is the vendor trying to tie in and buy somewhere else at same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I mean, it could be thousands in savings, even in the short term! Worth weighing up the pros and cons quickly. If it's Haven then good luck, it could take them 6 weeks to give you mortgage approval, never mind the loan offer.

Would you have to redo valuations?

I don't know how quickly we could draw down to be honest - all I know is that the application has been fast tracked (whatever that means in real terms I don't know).

The rate difference between the two is over 2% so the potential savings over the life of the loan are huge.

The vendor thankfully is not in a chain of purchase

I would imagine we probably would need to redo the valuation and am looking into that as we speak

If you aren't at risk of loosing place then its defo worth it, I know you mention it is your dream house. Could you sign and get it tomorrow as planned and then move mortgage to new applicant (or are they fixed for years etc. ?)

• Advertisement

That's a toughie alright! but look if its saving you in the long term, once you don't see sale fall through its a no brainer at 2% over 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Thousands over the 10 years, never mind the life of the loan.

I would get onto the broker to go straight to loan offer with the new lender. Give them everything they need and ask for a decision date.

Get onto the seller and keep them updated. No way will they want to go back to the market, sure it could just be you again. If they're not in a chain then its just money hitting their account in January instead of November.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

today's annoying thing with housing in Ireland, I have to get building insurance, the lender say that I must have this before I can buy the house, while the insurance company (Allianz) are saying that they can't insure before I own the property, and that it is a legal requirement. They do this every day yet somehow it's an issue and neither have budged yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Any chance the lender has an insurance company they deal with, even if you've to pay a bit more in year 1.

When I was sorting my mortgage out, they setup the policy with their partner insurer in pending until closing date.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I can do, everybody else is much more expensive but may just have to to get it done.

I have been wondering how you were getting on.

Again, similar experience. We signed our contracts last Thursday but the day before, the broker informed us that the other lender approved our loan. We decided to carry on with Finance Ireland as we were further in the process with them.

Our rationale was that we weren't convinced that BOI would finalise the loan quickly and they were asking really silly questions about documents that we had already provided. Also, some of the experiences on here about the drawdown length of time helped us make the final decision. We will be paying more a month but we just want the process finished with now and get moving into the house.

Just waiting on the drawdown now. 🤞

We had similar with Chill. We clicked the First Time Buyer box and paid online then phoned to ask about the indemnity. This is when the guy said that we could not insure until we were in the house and definitely not before laying laminate before moving in *sigh

But, then the hubster did an online quote with Axa directly. Then he phoned with the reference quote and the lady did not blink about needing the insurance for the mortgage. Turned out to be cheaper for us as we got discounts for having a credit union account and a few other things too. A much smoother experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 UnholyBitchYunalesca

Does anyone know the turnaround time of a BER assessment report for a new build? The assessor was meant to perform the air-tightness test on Friday so we're just wondering when we can expect the report. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

Update on this, having got AIP on 21 Oct, I ordered a valuation, once it was submitted along with two documents requested (proof of deposit & a letter from previous employer), I got the loan offer yesterday, 8th Nov...so that moved on fairly quickly. I'm still a bit clueless on the process but expecting my solicitor to call me in soon when they get the loan pack from the lender.

• Advertisement

Funds released today after 8 months being sale agreed!

Advertisement