Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LycaMobile, €10 a month, unlimited data, 5G included

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ggmad

I used Lyca data roaming on holiday in Madeira, worked pretty good and just as good as my friends who are with 3

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

I'm just back from 3 weeks in france , we had 2 lyca SIM cards, #1 did not register with a French network (dead for 3 weeks, no calls or data). Lyca did not reply to emails ( except to acknowledge and promise to reply). Chats were hopeless, ended by Lyca mainly, then they sent message saying "issue resolved" .They won't look back at previous chat and ask same questions every time you contact them. Phone worked on my return, called Lyca,,,, told me they could not help as problem no longer exists!, then they sent message saying "issue resolved" .

#2 SIM worked in France, has not worked since return, HOPELESS customer service!

I've been with Lyca since 2014, Roaming has always been dodgy, but at least CS helped in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I found their customer care to be exactly the same as yours, I bought the 110 euros for 12 months offer and they charged me the "normal" 160 euros.

Contacted them umpteen times and nothing, chat tells me to email them, and email tells me that they promise to reply. The cycle continues, but seems there is nobody there, that does anything or knows anything.

I guess I just got lucky with my sim 😅

Also worked up north for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Anyone recommend a €200-€300 5G phone to go with the 3 Prepay Hero offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Taking a punt on this for my sim router, 48 used to give me 100-150mb/s consistnetly but now it's down to about 2mb/s. If I use an older router I get about 20mb/s, so they've filtered something on latest tech i'm guessing. Got a couple of years out of it so be happy if I get a year out of this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I am having rotten luck trying to switch over from TescoMobile to Lyca.

Lyca's PORT-IN shows "OTP not generated for expired subscriber" or something to that effect, and they are blaming Tesco saying Tesco is blocking their OTP messages and Tesco is confirming nothing wrong at their end (Lyca's own error message is saying they couldn't generate OTP, yet they are blaming Tesco). Getting no where talking to either crowd on webchat, and cannot get anyone on phone either.

I don't want to lose my phone number of 22+ years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Based on my experience with Lyca customer care, I would be thankful, the port didn't go through and keep my number away from them.

5G router arrived this evening. The one device i put the sim into that didn't need manaul APN set up! Signal a bit weak at 1 or 2 bars 5g, (about -120db) Speeds are 200 to 250 mb/s. Think i might try moving it up to attic over weekend to see do they imrpove. Not that I need speeds any faster of course 😀 The cost of the ZTE 5G CPE MC801A was a bit ridiculous at £250 but so few options out there.

• Advertisement

5G speeds now gone to useless in my 5G router :-( I suspect they blacklist Mac addresses or something for using in a router. I'll have to try the sim in my wife's phone (mine not 5G) to confirm.

I had tried in attic and was getting speeds of 350 Mb/s ...... Now it's 0.06 Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

because lyca internet in real is not unlimited, if you go over 80gb data, they will slow internet speed.

Ah I was trying to find their terms. I got onto chat and they actually told me 60gb. So it is quite ridiculous that they can advertise as unlimited.

yes, same happend to me, with virgin mobile unlimted internet. If you want real unlimted then use three or vodafone plans. Don't know about eir or post mobile plans, if they are in real unlimited.

Post edited by bondja80 on

I complained to the advertising authority about this one.... For all the good it would do. They need to bring in a rule though where you have to specify data at full speed. Yeah I'm raging I missed out on the three offer. €25 every 4 weeks for three (with 5G) is now the best offer I can find!

yes it was 15e few days ago. I have this 15e three plan, and 5g is fast 300mbs and late in night goes up to 800mbs. 4g is limited to 10mbs in city centre, and when I am in some village beside, 4g speeds are faster 20mbs, 30mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The deal will be back on for the black friday/Christmas sales pitch. If they can do it for Oct, they'll do it again

Yeah I'll be patient.....I generally get 30-100 on 4G on 48.ie sim, which in reality is enough for my needs at the moment.... So l'll see what offers appear!

is 4g internet unlimited on 48? do they slow down speed after you spend more then 80gb data?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

On their current €13 plan there is a 200GB fair usage policy, I'm on the original €8 plan and it's 100GB FUP.

They cut off data once you reach the limit and then you have to wait until the next month or buy expensive 1GB bundles.

• Advertisement

Yeah I use two of the 7.99 SIM cards and switch them out of the router. 100GB per month per plan. I generally get 3 weeks out of 100gb so internet works out at about €11.50 per month. Had issues over summer for a few weeks where SIM was going slow in one of my routers but seems back to normal now.

Was just looking at the three plan. Unlimited data if you top up by €20 every 28 days. Could then use €5 of this credit to upgrade to 5G not sure what I'd use the rest on. So maybe that is best value if nothing in black Friday.

48 are upfront though none of this "unlimited data" fair use policy hidden stuff... You know you are paying for 100GB or 200GB depending on plan, as it's stated clearly. Much better than competition in that respect

Don't know if you will have any credit left, when you topup. On 15e three plan, they take credit for activating this plan for 28days.

Yeah i was with them years ago when it was €20 a month and the top up got you the benefits and you still had the credit. I'll contact them to clarify. You can use the credit for android playstore apps and subscriptions i think

EDIT

20E credit was available with the old prepay plan but that plan has been discontinued.

That was the respone from three. So thanks for prompting me to check....so leaves it as €25 best deal for unlimited 5G per month. Do I pay double what I am now for speeds I don't really need...Logically it would be no.... but it's not that much money in the grand scheme of things and I do like my tech :-D I'll see what black Friday brings.

Yes, better wait for black friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Im with GOMO myslef, but am looking for a simcard for a teenager. Do GOMO, 48 etc do Black Friday deals does anyone recall???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

My sister is trying to leave Lycamobile now as she was doing the top-up by 15 euro for free month but that seems to be gone now as they don't give you a option to buy new month with this 15 euro credit.

3 Are offering 20 euro fuel voucher on switching now so how do you switch to the hero deal why they send you the SIM sorry it recommended a friend deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

How do you buy anything with unused lycamobile credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

I was roaming in Hungary last week and my Lyca SIM wouldn't register to any local network, whereas my Eir one was fine. Now that I'm back in Ireland, I still can't get any signal at all on my Lyca SIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

Happened to me last year, solved problem by getting a new Lyca SIM card and having number switched to new SIM.

Advertisement