Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LycaMobile, €10 a month, unlimited data, 5G included

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

It's showing 4g R on the status bar.. But if I disable data roaming I get nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Data roaming is standard for mvno

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Screen shot of speed test.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ggmad

I’m getting 55mbs, is that good?

I’m in west Dublin

Is it 4G? 55 is very good, question is do you a) keep getting 55 in that location and b) get 55 or equivalent when you move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭go4it

if all virtual networks ( tesco, 48, Lyca, etc ) using three's antenna's infrastructure will get same internet speed as the mothership ( three ) than what's the purpose of paying more?

of course three is throttling the tenants big time . It's the customers that dream of doing great deals at three's expense...

overall Ireland is a good market for telco companies ( hence the myriad of 'software telco' ) -telecom regulator is sleeping or pretends to do its job of protecting the consumer : allowing 'call connection fees' , 5G access surcharge , minimum 10e top up etc...( if wasn't for EU law, we were still paying top up surcharges , roaming fees and other money raking surcharges )

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ggmad

It’s 4G, I’m getting 78 now in another part of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭appukuttan

How can I switch to this new plan from my vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Call Lyca they will advise you to buy a Lyca sim card to port your number over to them.

You buy a sim with the plan and auto renew turned on. When you receive the sim, you can then port your number onto the sim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

We're on 48 and the roaming just wouldn't work for us in the UK last month, so I'd be interested to hear how people get on roaming with this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I ordered a free SIM to test out the coverage but nothing works if you don’t have a plan or balance (even incoming calls).

Ordered another SIM with the €10 deal so will test it out when that arrives. I’m right beside a Three mast and have gotten 170/50 on 48 4G so will be interesting to see what speeds are like on this.

thought you could register your free sim and add a months package to it?

I registered the SIM and it was only giving me an option of paying €20 for the unlimited plan. Thought it was strange that I couldn’t even receive calls without topping up though. Never heard of that before.

When I ordered the second SIM I paid for the €10 unlimited deal when ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭jj880

An post mobile is another good option if you want Vodafone network. I have it now a few weeks. 15 euro per month. First month free if you keeping your number. Tethering allowed. Data roaming allowed. Generous allowances.

They've data speed issues at moment, that a look at thread in mobiles forum. We're hoping it'll be fixed soon. At least they have admitted theres an issue.

But you're correct, VF reception is nice in rural ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Have they sorted out the issue where you couldn’t hotspot on an iPhone by any chance?

Second SIM arrived this morning but can't get it registered. The PIN they gave me in the order email for my bundle doesn't work.

I was on to support and they sent it to the relevant team and I should have a new PIN within 24 hours or else contact them again.

*Edit* Got a text to say the issue was resolved. No new PIN and original PIN still didn't work. Contacted support and after a few questions they realised the problem was the PIN I got wasn't mapped to the SIM they sent. Asked could I just cancel and get a refund and that was no problem.

Post edited by Mimikyu on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah I live in Donegal on the border with NI. Three was crap coverage and my choice was either roaming or no coverage in certain spots in my area. An Post (Vodafone) which includes UK roaming allowances suits me a lot better. Coverage far better overall too as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

We eventually got it working, by following a guide in the 48 community forums, however roaming is only 3G. Have a dual SIM phone and kept a UK SIM from even I was in UK so used that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

Just received my sim and ported my number. Now I am not getting otp sms from bank :(. Anybody had this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jusvi2001

Does anyone recently used Lycamobile while roaming. i was stuck with 2g network in Amsterdam and 3g with terrible speed in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

So is this the best value plan out there at the moment?

Lyca €10 a month for 12 months. 5g. 7gb EU roaming

48.ie is €12.99 a month. 4g? 11gb EU roaming.

eir is €15 a month for 12 months and offers 5g. And virgin mobile, but they have data caps like 5g a month or so.

GoMo.ie, AnPost, Tesco, ClearMobile etc. are all €15 but 4g.

Vodafone and Three are much more expensive.

Anyone offering e-sims?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

Three have a new 5G plan. €15 a month prepay, no contract. Also the data is really unlimited this time.

I am getting decent speeds here on 4g (Don't have a 5G device)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

What speeds are you getting please? Can you post a speed benchmark maybe?

This what I am getting right now.

It can drop to around 60 - 70 at peak times - 7 to 11pm

This is at my home location in west Limerick , results can vary wildly depending on where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭McSween

Thanks. Have you used this in the UK? Or Europe? I dont have a 5g phone though (iphone 11)

Nope, I only use for internet access in a 4g router. Haven't used it in a phone at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thank you! I like the upload speed especially. 100/50 would be pretty much perfect for me. In fact 50/50 or even 50/25 would also be fine.

Post edited by CyberGhost on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 cshk

Anyone actually manage to get 5G working on Lyca? Got my sim this morning but the settings only shows options for 4G/3G/2G on the 14 Pro Max

Advertisement