Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swashbuckler's Marathon Debut?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Are you working with Luke again P? I'm glad the plan is working for you. It's not easy with smallies, it really isn't, but it's also good for you to have that outlet and structure. It's about the balance and managing the juggle so it doesn't end up managing you! Nothing easy about it and it won't be easy for a long time to come but it's important to you and it has always sounded like you have a very supportive partner so that's half the battle. Keep her lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Luke put together a plan for me as a once off but its not coached, meaning first and foremost, it takes the pressure off me feeling like I need to do the plan to the letter, or be successful or run well or all that added personal baggage that I bring as a coachee. haha . His style of training/coaching is perfect for me - whether thats intentional because he adjusted to my needs or thats just his training philosophy in general, or both..I guess it doesnt really matter. But no book plan or other coaches plan even comes near. Just the right amount of stress and rarely too much.

Sunday , Oct 30th - DCM day

I wanted to give this day a dedicated log entry it deserves. It was great fun reading all the race reports and linking that up to where I was on the day as a supporter and how the individual Boardsies were feeling at the time.

Woke up at 5.45am on Sunday morning and feeling fresh as a daisy. All systems go to hit the road. Threw the running gear on and hopped into the car at 6am. The journey up was pure bliss. Coffee, tunes. Just me and the excitement of a great day ahead. A nice break.

Hit Dublin around 8am and left the car at Liffey Valley. Didnt want to get hit by the same traffic/diversion craziness from 2019 and also wanted to get some decent miles in so the run in and back later that day was all part of the plan for the day.

Made my way to Chapelizod Bridge (roughly mile 10). I had all the relevant people added to my tracker on the phone. I figured it would be a big ask to see tham all, especially the mid pack which is typically extremely jammers. Saw the elites come thorough absolutely motoring it. Frightening pace. The atmosphere here was (by my standards) terrific. Lots of runners egging on the crowd and waving their hands. I'm sure Lazare was one of them but I missed him here ;). Saw a few clubmates, babacool, squinn but none of my other Boardsie buddies sadly. I knew i'd have other opportunities though. Decided it was time to move on to point two. Loaded up my gear and off I went again to head towards mile 15 (Walkinstown Road). By the time I got there the sub 3 folks had already come and gone but that was ok. I really wanted to catch the other Boardsies. I did miss out on Lambay though. There is literally nothing more challenging than trying to find people you half know in such a crowd especially with Bibs that have microscopic names and a dark number on a dark green background. Managed to see a petite lady with blonde hair and 666 on the bib and figured that has to be laineyfrecks (3666). Big shout out but she was far too focussed to notice me. In the zone! Missed Lazare here. Couldnt get sight of Kellygirl so made my way back up the road and managed to catch kellygirl for a big shout out. She was looking good and tipping along nicely.

Off the Nutley lane next for the mile 24 mark. I have to say I had a ball running around the city and through some estates I probably shouldnt be going near! Man oh man the contrast in Nutley Lane was shocking. It was like something from a zombie movie. So so many people walking, shuffling, stopping. It really hit home just how hard the marathon is. It brought back memories of my own efforts in Limerick in May. I felt for them. Again I had missed the sub 3 gang but here I managed to catch lainey again. She coasted past. Honestly it was impressive to see someone looking so in control at that stage. Soon after Lazare popped into my eyeline much to my delight . Random shout out of "Hey Lazare!!!" from me. High five. I was a happy man. Kellygirl was next on my agenda but no sign. I was starting to worry. Then I checked my phone and she had passed over the 40k mat. I had missed her, which was disappointing, but a relief that she hadnt dropped out. Held on a bit longer for Murph who was on his pacing gig. Another shout out from me and a bit of a blank look from Murph followed by a realization.

With my spotting all done I headed in the direction of McGrattans. Picked up a sandwich and tea in the shop and sat outside chatting to some of the runners and supporters. Headed into McGrattans where I bumped into a few more Boardsies - Lambay, lainey, skyblue, AGYG, Murph and his missus, aquinn, kellygirl , 99lost souls (I think thats the right name?). I think I met another Boardsie but didnt introduce myself. It was packed in there but lovely to catch up with the gang. Headed on the 7 mile run back to the car and then hit the road home. Home by 7pm. All in all a perfect day with 19 miles of running done. How bad. Well done everyone.

Post edited by Swashbuckler on

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Great non-race report! I missed meeting you in McGrattons, I was there but was talking to some other people with my back to the boards group for a good while and then when I re-joined you had headed off.

Best of luck with the HM plan, it's a fair auld juggle with little ones and work and everything else that life throws at you so just keep motoring as best you can, it gets easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Aw I love this P😊 petite blonde, I've been called way worse🤣 So looking at all my photos & the videos my fam took has made me realise how small I really am!! I look tiny beside everyone else🤣

I would just like to make a note here that I did acknowledge you the 2nd time as there's fierce rumours going around that I blanked everyone 👀🤣

Thanks a mill for the support, was really great to see a familiar face at that stage of the marathon. Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You are dead right to do a non race report for DCM 😀. It is one of my favourite days of the year, the atmosphere, the joy (ridiciously) of seeing people you don't really know reach their goals!!! I still have a welt on my right hand from that damn clacker and the voice is just coming back to normal now.

It was great to meet you IRL P. I think I love and hate McGrattans in equal measure! Best of luck with the plan, I always enjoyed anything Luke put together for me.

Happy Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Brilliant, P, I didn't realise you had run around your various spots, never mind in and out from Liffey Valley. Awesome stuff. I agree re Chapelizod, by the way, it's a very noisy spot and I always love running through there. It was really great to see you on the course ('realisation' is a kind word - I only connected you back to the person waving and shouting when I met you afterwards!) 19 miles. Jaypers - we could have gotten you a bib, there were hundreds of them knocking around going unused!

As you mentioned in your log , way too much fun supporting. Twice now I've done that and it's such a fun experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

You put in a better effort supporting on Sunday than I did for you back in May 😄

Plus I didn't send you off to the bag drop! 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I should have read this before texting you earlier :)

I'm happy to deal with training questions on all media 🤣. WhatsApp, Garmin Connect, Facebook, Boards 🤣

Week 9: Oct 30th-Nov 5th - Border Half Marathon 2022

Sunday - Broken Easy 19 miles detailed in previous post - DCM marathon support.

Monday - took a rest day as was tired from the day before and had bank holiday plans

Tuesday - 5x3mins CV off 60s/3min Jog/6x30s Hard

This session has made a few appearances throughout the plan with the recoveries being manipulated but the overall volume staying constant. Taking it a bit easier on myself in terms of this being on a flat route. Very good session. 60s recovery passes by quickly but not a bad session. As i've seen throughout, the plan is constructed in a way that has an easier session complementing a harder session but rarely, if ever, two hard sessions in one week.

5.39/5.49/5.45/5.46/5.49

Total: 56mins, 7.3 miles

Wednesday - Easy 7M, 55mins, 7.51min/mile average - felt great - windy day

Thursday - Easy 7M, ~55mins, 7.47min/mile average - another good day

Friday - Easy 4M - busy day off with family stuff. 8min/mile

Saturday - 7x1M at Threshold off reducing recoveries from 3mins to 30s

A biggie. Done this previously before Charleville and its about as HM specific as you will get. I've learned how to handle sessions like these. Don't lose the head on the first couple of reps, keep it solid and smooth and then dig in a bit near the end as it starts to bite.....and it certainly bites...60s and 30s doesnt even feel like recovery after 5 miles of threshold work. Was never flogged in this but working at the end for sure. Love this session. Entering a phase of more specific stuff for the next few weeks. A very well constructed plan to be honest. Seveal weeks of strength building all leading up to being able to handle sessions like these. No mental sessions in the plan but challenging enough to put manners on you.

6.03/6.03/6.01/6.02/6.03/6.05/6.02

13.1miles total, 93mins

Total for the week: 57 miles

A good week and the first real HM specific week. Dec 4th not that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Wait til you get a plan that says “20/15/10sec” for recovery 😁. Seen that before on DDs plan and thought it was a joke 😂 - it wasn’t!

Major report just out - published in all major science magazines - very high brow.

It states "For an effective Taper prior to a Half Marathon, the study suggests that NO running be done the week prior to the event and for effective recovery, no running to be done after the event for 2 weeks."

I think you should do this. Seriously - be great for you.

🤦‍♂️mind games 😂

I feel like I should consult with luke on this one. Seems like a different approach but I'm almost sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hah! Only getting around to reading this now! Really enjoyed that! It doesn't take much for it to hit home just what a beast the marathon is, does it? Even following the tracker app on the day, I was exhausted!!! 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Post edited by DeepBlue on

• Advertisement

Wait til you hear it on rte news “lad from Dublin invited a friend over from limerick just to then not open the door as he was out running.” - feels like a headliner (defo better than “a cow took a big dump on a field) 😁

'Friend' - this friend declared war on me in a public forum!! I was just minding my own business - no idea I was in such a competition.

And he's cost me about €2000 since I've known him - although like my wife, he'd say that he's saved me money.

War is harsh. Just keeping you (and me) motivated 😉

Any news Mr Buckler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Tick tock, tick tock..........................................

Border Half Marathon 2022

Prelude

I have been neglecting the log lately which is usually a good indicator that stuff elsewhere in life has picked up….and it sure has…Between the new role at work really taking off and an inundation of germs in the house over the past month or so – wife, me, youngest, middle (twice) and eldest (twice) sick in October/November its all been a bit mad. So following my usual rule of trying not to have everything ramp at once I needed to make some minor adjustments. This meant the running kinda took a bit of a back seat. I still trained but needed to come off plan and to be honest the enthusiasm for running (or at least sessions/hurting) was very very low. I was tired, cranky, drained for a while but managed to get back on an even keel eventually. I have found that sleep has a massive impact on me, maybe moreso than most. Tiredness really affects my mood lately. I’m still a lovely Dad and husband (lol) but the internal mindset becomes pretty negative. Anyway, nobody wants to be hearing about all my woes…lol…One thing I am really proud of is how I have been able to bounce back from the rough patches which really has made a difference at home.

So in terms scoring the past few months;

The plan itself: 9.5/10 (I loved it and will use it again – no such thing as a 10/10 plan – sorry Luke 😉)

Execution of the plan: 7/10

Sleep, Health and Nutrition: 6/10

Average work stress: 8/10 (10 being most stressful)

Average home stress: 8/10

Average running stress: 7/10

I like to use the last three as guidelines. If all are 24 or higher then I hit trouble. And they were until running stress was pulled back.

So that’s the build-up. One last comment on the plan. Easily the best plan I have done in terms of enjoyment and tailored exactly to the type of running I enjoy. I feel blue in the face from singling L’s praises at this stage but his style is perfectly matched to my needs as a runner. By the way this was not a coached block. It was a hands off , one-off plan. There was a lovely mix of CV, Tempo, Progression and Mixed long runs. Ideal for me.

Race Day

Despite loving the plan, as I said earlier, enthusiasm for hurting was just not there. I really wasn’t feeling excitement for this race. The running in the couple of weeks leading up to this was just complete meh. I genuinely feared I would stop mid-race and step off. But 1% of me was holding out hope that some inspiration would come on the day.

I arrived at Seanchoill complex in plenty of time – just before 10am, to collect my tshirt. Very very very chilly morning but ideal for running. Nice and calm. A gentle breeze but nothing crazy. Went back to the car and chilled for a bit with some tunes. It was lovely actually to get some time to myself and just relax. After a few trips to the loo I got kitted out into my gear. The alphafly would get their first big outing today. As always, I felt about ten feet tall wearing them. Headed off for a warmup, some strides, leg swings etc. It was approaching start time and I headed to the start line around 10.55am. Met a few clubmates and it wasn’t long before we lined up. Gave myself a pep talk. Not much fuss, countdown from 10 and off we went.

Immediately the front pack established themselves and they were gone. I was at the front of the second group. I didn’t have a race plan for today. My thought process was don’t go off crazy, don’t pay too much attention to the watch and feel the race. This is not a flat route so silliness would be punished and I have a lot of faith in my ability to run on feel. Early into the race I switched the watch face to heart rate to avoid temptation to watch pace. Anyway, I was in a nice smooth flow in mile 1. Was in a little group but they were a little slow for my liking so I pushed ahead with a view to hopefully latching on to some of the overeager stragglers that would inevitably fall off the lead group, and they did.

Mile 1: 6.05

I wont go through this mile by mile as a lot of it was purely trying to run relaxed and not let the negative thoughts creep there way in too much. They dis. They always do. But as always its just a case of negotiating with them and I think I’ve done a really good job of doing that.

End of mile 2 is the first of the many drags on the route and it rolls into mile 3 aswell. It was here that I passed a couple of lads and had one lad just ahead of me that was running well so he just became my main focus for the bulk of the race. The alphaflys felt great in the early goings.

Miles 2 to 5: 6.12/6.21/6.10/6.16/

A couple of notables here. The mile markers were way off. I had seen previous years this race was definitely short. Not just by gps (which I take with a pinch of salt) but people running times that looked far faster than their training suggested. I was adamant I would run the extra distance if that was the case near the end. Thankfully they had fixed it this year and it was a non issue although mile 12 was actually 1.1 miles. The organiser asked me afterwards which told me they knew it was an issue previously. Anyway , back to the race.

Miles 6-8 it gets a little rough in terms of drags but one thing I will say about the route is that there are very few monster hills and there are rewarding downhills scattered amongst the various drags and hills.

Miles 6 to 10: 6.17/6.18/6.14/5.57/6.09

Very steady so far – plenty of doubts but wasn’t falling off a cliff. Still latched on to the guy ahead with another guy not far behind.

The guy ahead had put some surges on me to try shake me off but I was doggedly hanging in there. I didn’t respond to the surges but he just kept coming back to me. I thought during the race I must be a pain in the ass to try and shake off as I’m stubborn as hell when racing. So I was just keeping it steady. If he pushed on I didn’t really care at this point – there wasny much ability or will to push on myself.

Into the business end now. The lad behind went passed me around mile 11. He looked very solid. I just left him go. In the end he finished about 40 seconds ahead of me so he was in very decent nick in the last couple of miles. It was around here that the lad ahead of me seemed to come back to me and I passed him. That move got me into ninth overall.

By now the legs are feeling it. I’m nowhere near as dying as I have done in the past but for sure I’m at the right effort. Hard enough to get me to the end but not too hard where I’d end up in the ditch. The mile markers are still way off. Watch beeping about 40 seconds after the mile marker on the road. Very nasty pull in Mile 12 that really sucked it out of the legs. No sign of the lad behind me catching up. If anything his steps are getting quieter.

Miles 11 and 12: 6.07/6.17.

Last mile. I know I wont drop out at this stage but man oh man the effort is up after that mile 12. Breathing is heavy, legs are super super heavy. Knee lift is a conscious effort at this stage! In normal circumstances I would recover after a pull like that but now is not the time for that. Last mile in a half marathon is time to get right to the edge. I had a decent mile 13. No major battles. Places had pretty much established themselves at this point. It was here that the mile marker corrected itself so I would guess this mile was technically long.

Mile 13: 6.07

I had been looking forward to this part of the race since about mile 2..lol

There was a good chance the family were going to be at the finish if the missus was able to co-ordinate the gang and get them out the door in time. And there they were up ahead…I gave it that little extra push when I saw them. Happy days and lovely to see them again. Last time was the marathon in Limerick.

At this stage I had actually no idea what time I was on for. I hadn’t checked the watch all race. Seeing the clock and it was ticking past 1.20.51 which prompted me to give all I could to get over the line sub 1.21. I managed it by a couple of seconds. Delighted. Sub 5min/mile pace for the last 0.1.

I had been semi mentally prepared to run an extra 0.1 after crossing the line but thankfully I didn’t have to. Dropped on my butt and took a minute to recover before a wise old man came over and told me to get up and walk around…he was right. Went over to the family and got some big hugs. It was lovely. Really nice spread of choccie bars at the finish so I loaded up for the kids. Spent some time mingling with the club lads. One of them finished second in something like 71mins. Had a nice chat with the lads I was competing with during the race. Race organiser came over and gave medals to the kiddies. We spent some time in the playground there and then popped to the coffee shop and I had some lovely banoffi after being off sweets and chocolate for a month! All in all a great day.

Afterlude

I rate that as one of my best performances racewise. Charleville was a better result although that was while I was coached, had one child, flat route, paced by a pace group. In Charleville I cramped like mad in the last few miles. Today I wasn’t near to cramping and was able to put in a strong finish. Possibly the alphafly helped. My race management was very good – effort level was well handled throughout mostly without the watch. Ennis 10k was one of my better performances but today felt better. Sub 81 given my life circumstances is a very very satisfying result. I didn’t think I had it in me in the lead up to the day. Enthusiasm for hurting was low. Thankfully my competitiveness took over.

Next, I plan on running off plan for the next month and hopefully hit 2600 miles for the year. If a race pops up in December I’ll see if it fits around the family. For now, I’m still glowing in satisfaction from an unexpected good day at the races 😊

Post edited by Swashbuckler on

2600 👀

26 days to run 185 miles....And hopefully win the AMK/SB challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliantly run race and glad the buzz appeared.

That’s some yearly mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, P, super racing as expected and a great result. I'm glad that the mile markers corrected themselves, although isn't it amazing that we always say the mile markers are correct if they agree with our watch and off if they don't? I came to the same conclusion myself at the end of my own HM quest last year. 😀

Either way, you were never one to get caught up on the course profile or the course distance - all about the racing and the performance which looks top notch.

Sound as a bell!

Advertisement