Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the worst TV show ever created?

Options
  • 28-10-2022 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

What, do you reckon, is the worst television programme to have ever hit screens?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,283 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Big bang theory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Made in Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Deal or no Deal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Upwardly Mobile

• Advertisement

Against the head

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A laugh track is always a warning sign. I don't need to be told when to laugh. If something is truly funny, it'll make me laugh naturally.

One show that sticks out in my mind is 2 Broke Girls. I watched a few episodes of it one night in a hotel where it was the only programme in English I could find.

I'm actually getting angry at how bad it was. All the characters are uninaginative stereotypes from a 1970s sitcom, yet it was made in the 2010s. The humour is lowest common denominator stuff, just loads of hackeneyed jokes about sex and stereotypes. The characters are all wooden and obnoxious.

I used to watch Two and a Half Men back in the day and was able to switch off my brain for that. The other day, I caught a bit of it and it is terrible. I guess I always knew it was terrible but it really does not hold up well, if it ever did.

As for Big Bang Theory, I reckon its popular because its nerdy and makes people feel smart. The humour isn't anything special, just something new. Its from Chuck Lorre, the same creator as Two and a Half Men, who also created Dharma and Greg and Mom, two other shows I never got into. The Komknsky Method was good, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If we're being serious, maybe Japan gets the honor with Susunu! Denpa Shonen. Aside from having just a crazy premise in general where they literally push people to mental breakdowns in order to win money, perhaps the most famous one is of the poor Nasubi, where people continued to watch, en masse, as someone literally lost their sanity in an increasingly cruel fashion:

Plenty of videos on AdTube of varying lengths if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Big Brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's Something about Miriam was a particularly exploitive bit of trash reality TV that lead to the Miriam of the title taking her own life (though I heard on the radio recently that her husband believes she was murdered).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

Loose Women

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Any soap. They all have the exact same storylines going through them and are as predictable a format as you can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The angelus.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tinter Box

Fade Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Do a Wikipedia search for "Heil Honey I'm Home".

Angela Scanlon's "Ask me anything"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Last Of The Summer Wine. I was going to say Deal Or No Deal but Collie D beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

Bridget and Eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The comment above about a laughing track being added is usually a good warning alright ... but I suggest one notable exception.

There were laughing tracks on MASH, and it was a top quality programme. In fact, I think the track was unnecessary and actually took away from my enjoyment of the episodes.

For worst TV show ever?.... it has to be any of the fake beauty/date progs like Love Island, First Dates, etc. All dangerous drivel projecting a very unhealthy focus on looks and dysfunctional relationships and exploiting the people that appear on them, even though they don't seem to know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Love Island - a brain dead show of brain dead people getting famous and rich for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

While I never liked it, it was aimed at a particular age demographic who enjoyed gentle humour with essentially nice characters on screen, extremely dated but it had a purpose

worst for me is Mrs Browns Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not saying its the worst ever, but I am kind of perplexed that Fair City has lasted so long. Its been going over 30 years, without ever really gripping the public imagination compared to say Glenroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Million Euro Challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riddles

"Ask me bollix" - pretty much any RTE Talk show or comedy program is a hot debate for worst TV ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Anything (or everything!) that Ant or Dec appear in.

Yeah, but you could say that anything is made for a certain demographic, even Mrs Brown's Boys. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

True but Old folks who like untaxxing gentle humour with harmless characters deserve a show too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Anything with hector o blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

On the buses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I only have Eurosport / GCN sub and NHK. Rip all of the (old) films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭kenn0

gangs of London

what a load of ….

Advertisement