Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Add to that list of non passenger friendly policy’s never delivering buggy’s to passengers at the gates. Making parents go to the arrivals hall is another nonsense they have implemented.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That an impressive amount of over confidence.

Oddly enough, my other half tells me that anytime (pre 2020) that any crew bring up the service levels on Emirates or Ethiad they get told "we dont compete with them across the Atlantic"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It depends on the airport some do it some don’t, best to ask on disembarkation if the staff are available some airports definitely still do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The one policy that drives me up the wall is EI's absolute insistence that iPads should stowed for taxi/takeoff/landing.

I use mine for reading. It's smaller than a magazine and not radically different in weight.

It has never once been a problem on Ryanair.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I was on an EI flight two weeks ago and this wasn’t the case, I was watching Netflix on mine during taxi and the cabin crew checking belts said nothing either?!?

• Advertisement

Yeah only laptops have to be put away, tray table closed, I’ve never been asked to put away an iPad ever

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Duplicate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Personally I don't think they really compete with AA/DL/UA across the Atlantic these days either!

There's so much potential unrealized, just an organization happy to do as little as possible to get by (IAG - not directed at the rank & file staff who in my experience are excellent). I think AerClub encapsulates it perfectly - there's a ton of opportunity to drive engagement with the program and have it as a differentiator (FR do not have something like this! Lean into it!) but nope, a half assed effort that annoys more than it engages.

Maybe they've relaxed their policy – if so, that's good news. It has been a while since my last EI flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EINSA32N

There has been no change regarding larger PEDs for take off and landing.

Anything that can't fit into palm of hand or more than 1kg in weight cannot be used.

So an iPad is fine. However if you have an iPad plus pro with keyboard, then it must to be stowed away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd be doing well to use anything other than the very smallest of laptops in an economy seat!

Life ain't always empty.

Whether there's been no change or otherwise, on the last four flights I took with EI crew told me to stow my iPad Air (9.7" model, no attachments) for takeoff and landing. That would suggest that either I'm extremely unlucky or the rules are selectively enforced.

It occurs to me that "palm of hand" description probably does exclude my device. Fortunately FR have no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

What is it with Aer Lingus and technology ?

back in the days CD Walkmen/ Discmen along with gameboys were banned, changing to a ban for take off and landing but still way stricter than anyone else at the time AND no member of cabin crew could ever give the reason why they were banning stuff but other companies allowing it and still not having planes fall out of the sky.

According to one forum, they had a "steering group of engineers in the airline" , who obviously had the policy that if it cannot be 100% proven safe then it needs to be banned. https://boards.straightdope.com/t/laser-operated-devices-are-prohibited-on-this-flight/257591

Why would you expect cabin crew in one airline to give you an explanation about what other airlines do… they are given compliance instructions, they are told what they must enforce, and they are expected to do that. If you want further explanation you’ll have to go well above that rank, maybe even to the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

same, its one of the reasons I try and avoid EI unless no other choice, ipad air (standard ipad size) has to be stowed ( every time, either LH or shorthaul) Ryanair couldnt care less

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VivaLasBegas

Guaranteed during an RTO or other event you would be the first ones complaining if someone lost control of their iPad and it hit you in the face or head! It's a safety policy and it may be more restrictive than Ryanair's but it's there for a reason. Ryanair are not the be all and end all. Stow the damn iPads for a few mins and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

As others have said device weighing less than 1KG can be held for take off/landing … iPad ( smaller ones) without keyboard are fine… anything over 1KG would do serious damage in a sudden stop/rejected take off etc. go flying and hit someone ..

US and Canadian carrier allows window blinds closed for take off and landing, and luggage loose in exit rows… European airlines have more stringent rules and these two examples are not allowed…Thats not to say North American Airlines are unsafe… I just know who have more stringent procedures… and I feel better on one over the other…

Similar arguments could be made around food standards/safety…. US vs EU

Not all airlines/operators/regulating bodies are equal..

Having said all that I fly a lot on EI and have never had any issues with a hand held IPad.

However I understand the concern behind certain regulations/requirements

Completely agree that not all airlines are equal. I'd give quite a lot for an airline that actually cares about customer service – say EK or QR – to launch a decent route network from DUB. One can dream :-)

Of course service standards (what’s visible/experienced is vastly vastly different between airlines in different markets)

my points were more to do with regulations, safety culture and degrees of rigidity around such cultures, regulations and practices…

I won’t go down that rabbit hole any further

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Flew DUB-MCO last month on -EDY, another shoddy aircraft!!

But ordered the kids meal for our 5 year old, which was EXACTLY the same as the adult meal with the exception that it had a kit kat added!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Ha. We flew that route in 2018 and the kids meal was chicken nuggets and chips. Our little one got very envious looks from kids around us. I always thought they should have advertised that pre bookable feature more. Maybe not if they’re just adding a Kit Kat now

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

EU is more stringent in some areas and US more stringent in others.

US more stringent with certain weather minima, low vis crosswind limits, departure alternate requirements and significantly Flight Time Limitations.

An Irish airline will have a significant cost advantage on many US routes. They will operate with 2 pilots whereas US operators will be mandated to have 3. Many passengers may well feel safer with a rested pilot landing after a nine hour flight more so than a window blind being down in the cabin.

Fair enough but then US pilots (x2 crew) would easily do 9 hour days with multiple sectors(arguably a heavier workload)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sailing

9 hour days and multiple sectors are also common to Aer Lingus and Ryanair pilots. Under FAA regulations the max time for American two pilot operations across the Atlantic is eight hours. There is no such restriction under European regs. So European carriers can and do operate with two pilots which gives a large cost advantage for flights under nine or so hours over their American competition. A typical legacy carrier captain in the US is on 300-400k these days so there are huge savings.

I’d feel much safer in the knowledge EU pilots can work a max of 900 block hours vs 1400 hours for a US based pilot. Also feel much safer knowing EU airlines don’t allow people to leave bags and other tripping hazards in an emergency exit …

Where are you getting the 1400 hours figure from? The legal FAA minimum is 1000 block hours annually, however daily, weekly and monthly figures also differ and in some cases are more restrictive.

It’s all a moot point really as current negotiated scheduling agreements for majoras and legacies in the US are more restrictive than anything in Europe.

Not forgetting that the Ryanairs etc are flying around with 200 hour FOs whereas it’s a legal minimum of 1500 hours to get hired by a regional in the US

:

That’s Part 91 - non commercial operations. Part 121 is what you’re looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

So….back to talking about Aer Lingus…..

Advertisement