Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jill700a

I wonder how much these unions are asking for. In BA they got 13% but the Irish living cost hasn’t increased as much as London, according to figures so maybe a 4% would be fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I haven't a had laugh this much off a post in ages. Inflation is near 9%.

FWIW I don't think EI staff need your take on what rates of increase they should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Yet the fleet/routes will come to a halt if the unions call a strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I taught all talk of Vegas was band on here...

I'm sure Aer Lingus treat Vegas as they do Orlando, good demand but not worth pursuing. The US carriers and BA/Virgin compete aggressively for the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Aer Lingus fly to Orlando already. Have for years (pandemic aside).

Assume there will be new / returning routes to ORK announced? It looks as if a 3rd a/c is needed next summer

Where have you seen that 3 A/C are required ? There won't be. If you are referring to the extra FAO flights in July, AMS is reduced to cater for this.

Sorry that was my mistake. I misread the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,426 ✭✭✭✭cson

Did EI119 the other day & it just hammered home how awful that ACF configuration is for both the passengers and the crew. 3 lavs in the back, but also in their workspace. If you're seated beyond the exit rows & jump up to use a lav at the wrong time you're likely waiting down the back for a long time for a service to finish.

It is terrific to have the 2 options to DC and, personally, the BOS/JFK-SNN routes but its an uncomfortable 5-7.5hrs on board tbh.

• Advertisement

It's pure greed, at the expense of customer experience and as you pointed out workspace of crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,426 ✭✭✭✭cson

I felt incredibly sorry for them while I was waiting - taking up the limited space the crew member had whilst her colleagues were being harrassed by people to stupid to understand there's no way past a cart in a single aisle plane. I only have to do these flights once in a while, they have to do them every day - the jumpseat built into the lav door is insane.

Agree with the above comments. Flew on the NEO to BOS in Sept and was of the same view. 2 of the toilets are tiny down the back and caused a lot of congestion on our flight with the CC trying to work as well. The Cabin Crew announced twice over the intercom about avoiding congestion. I felt bad for them because it was cutting into there workspace. They were trying to sort the service out around us and going up and down the isle with the trolley to try leave people past.

The space on the 757 seemed much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The above is why imo Boeing's NMA needs to be essentially a 767-200er replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

As far as the galleys and WC locations go, it doesn’t have to be the way it is on EI’s A321LR. TAP for example didn’t go for the CabinFlex configuration, as such the lavatories are not in the galleys and there is a lavatory behind the business class section. Still a bit cramped, but not quite as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

I really miss the 757s, they were a very reliable and beautiful looking aircraft.

Boeing should have re-engined the 757 to kill off the A321NEO/LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,080 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Boeing had destroyed the tooling. They couldn't return it to production without completely rebuilding everything like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Also they never digitised the blueprints so they were gone too. Airlines stopped buying it post 9/11 in favour of...the A321ceo and 737-900. A re-engined 757 would still be too heavy to compete on all but the most niche routes, at least according to a Boeing engineer who worked on the 757/767 programme who posts on another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

They are already disposing of the tooling for the 747 and the last one hasn't yet left the factory. That's the way in the aircraft manufacturing world.

This is said time and again, but EI had to do it, they had to ram as much in as they could to be the golden boy in the group at the expense of their customers and crew.

The usual line trotted out is ''It's IAG spec'' it's a nonsense that does not exist. It was a decision made with pure greed in mind, 6 additional eco seats to wreck everyones head and experience. Airlines like Delta even ditched ACF because it's so toxic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭sherology

Post edited by sherology on

Yes I know, just sad that they ended production with 1,050 757s (including the prototype) in October 2004.

Considering the 757 was a replacement for the 727, how come it sold poorly compared to its elderly sibling?

The 727 sold 1,831 units (all models- 100/200).

The 752 looked so sharp and radiant in the EI livery (1996 colours).

The A321LR doesn't have that character or looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Because it wasn’t a very good 727 replacement, so the decision to drop it was right with what was known at the time… (9/11, Gulf War II)

Then the credit crunch happened and all of a sudden the economic environment was reshaped and turns out it was the perfect aircraft for missions it wasn’t ever intended for!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

The 757s OEW is also about 8,000kg (16%) heavier than the A321neoLR but has about the same seat capacity. New engines would still leave it with significantly higher CASM without adding completely new wings and major weight savings in the rest of the aircraft which would also need new systems and avionics, which would have almost the same costs as a clean sheet design.

Despite being larger, the 787-3 could have served a similar market on paper but I recall that it's quite high weight despite reduced performance was one reason that it didn't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The 757 was not the only "727 replacement". The MD-80 was a pretty capable replacement and from the 1990s the A320 started to supplant the 727 as well.

Very true!

Boeing did however, go a stretch too far with the 737 MAX 10..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

So what would the ideal Aer Lingus fleet be in 5 years - bearing in mind that leasing arrangements can give flexibility on aircraft choice.

This is a wish list for me.

A220 - short haul UK and EU. Advantages in that they can provide higher frequency and feed transatlantic - lovely plane.

A320neo - will remain the workhorse for high yield Europe including the holiday routes.

A321er - needs must. Useful for lower yield US routes.

A350 or Boeing 787 - mainly US routes but perhaps we can stretch to far east flights and connect with Qantas for Australia - I hate narrowbody for long haul.

EI also need to consider coming back to a business product in Europe with the flexible curtain set up and middle seat free. Expectations for short haul business far lower than they were - 20 years ago - cold dish and few drinks hit the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Medium rare, with pepper sauce and a nice chianti!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Damn autocorrect.

Only ever had decent steaks twice on a plane. Once with EI back in 2014 in business. Genuinely good. The other was Emirates - from Dubai to Sydney. Loved that business class bar on the A380z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I see the same argument about the A220 and extra frequancy. There is no evidence this would happen and the Aer Lingus SH load factor would need to impove a lot to warrant extra frequacnies on thinner European routes and that's before yeild would be squeesed by extra capacity. They also don't have sufficent T/A capacity or frequancy to drive extra SH frequancy.

Anyone remember the plans they had for A319 and frequancy that never happened. You could argue different times but a valid point.

The KL/AF/LH have a much wider selection of routes that can justify extra frequancy either based on demand or necessary for east/west connectivity.

Advertisement