Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I finally got my Medtronic 780G with Guardian 4. I've been pumping since 2006 on a variety of Medtronic pumps, the most recent being a 640G.

I've been on the 780G with G4 for a week and a half now. In full auto mode (smartguard) and it really is fantastic. I was very frustrated with my old pump with guardian 3, and I kept my expectations low for the upgrade. But so far I'm blown away.

Finally no more calibrations. Not even to start a sensor. It just goes. And it's very good at keeping you in range. I have found that my carb ratios needed to be changed, I would guess that my old manual basal was high, which meant bolus amounts were less.

It's early days no doubt, but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do you need to be fasting for a Hba1c blood test?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not for the hba1c itself BUT your doctor may want other tests at the same time that do require fasting. Best thing is to check with the doctor that requested the tests.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is no diabetes there, GP done a blood sugar test within 2 hours of eating and forgot how blood sugars work.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Had a good visit with the diabetes clinic this week. HbA1c at its best level in years. I'm shifting my focus over to Time in Range now to try to tweak a few improvements.

We as a community complain enough, and rightly so, when services are poor but don't comment enough when things are good; I have to say the staff in particular and the service in general in the St.James' Diabetic Day Care Centre (Dublin) are excellent. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Kremin

Hi all, have my first meeting with an endocrinologist for diabetes next month so pretty close to exactly 6 months after diagnosis as I was told to expect.

I really want to ask to apply for a CGM when I see them - how likely is it that they'll just laugh me out of the room and won't even consider it?

They seem a lot more open to prescribing CGMs in the system nowadays. I see no reason why they should say no. If you don't ask, you almost certainly won't get

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Kremin

I will definitely try! Just anxious about the whole thing.

I've been self funding the Libre 1 and it's been game changing for me but one thing I'd really love is having some sort of alarm overnight if in trending down. If I'm anywhere below 6mmol going to bed I find myself panic eating just in case :(

Dexcom G6 is good for that and seems to be prescribed a lot more freely now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm using the G6 and it is IMO excellent. I do think that some might be put off by the Dexcom limitation on what phones it can be installed on. That's easily dealt with though by either using the "Build your own Dexcom" Which removes device restrictions to allow the app to run on any device.

Or if you want really granular view of your data and control of alarms? I recommend X-drip and tidepool. Tidepool offers really great charting and insights IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I wonder when we will see the Dexcom G7 replace the G6 here

It's good it's smaller seems to have the transmitter built into the sensor and the time for sensor to warmup is down to 30 minutes or less. New app as well glad to see the person who develops the build your own app is working on this as well

TypeOneTalks put together this informative video

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can I ask you about the build your own Dexcom ? My daughters phone is not compatible and she has to use an old phone and so carry two phones with her ?

@iamwhoiam Info on this reddit thread from the developer and the form to fill out think it's only for Android but works well.

The form you put in email and answer questions about Android version if US or International measurement unit and different options about alerts which I would leave at default for your daughter you will get emailed a link to download the app and you might on the phone enable install from unknown source.

That's about it I use it on my phone it works fine. Just if you have to ring Dexcom for support they won't help with unsupported phones

The team in there are great, after hearing horror stories from others it makes you appreciate when you have such a good team.

No problem he is a good guy to follow for all things Type 1 from pumps dexcom Libre Diet etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

Hi Everyone, would appreciate your help. Would anyone have a spare transmitter which will work with Enlite sensor lying somewhere in the drawer?

I think I have two left from when I had the enlite, drop me a PM and I will check when I get into work (think I left them there).

Also Dexcom and T slim are in the post apparently. Very different from the last tiem I got a new pump, they are sending them out to me. Very exciting.

Anyone here personal experience of the Dexcom sending data directly to their Garmin watch or Wahoo bike computer. I have used xdrip with an older one but I want something that doesn't need my BG monitor plugged into my phone and will just send direct. Found a few videos on youtube but the comments are confusing with half the replies saying ti doesn't work and the other half syaing they do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I link my Libre 2 to both Garmin and a Ticwatch using xDrip, so if you can get the data into xDrip it should be the same from there. Not in a fit state to give a sensible reply right now as just flying back from Dublin marathon. Tag me in a day or so if I don't respond with the details of the settings and garmin fields I'm using.

Separately, on the off chance that the other Libre user I passed this morning around about Castleknock is among us here...hopefully you had a good run.

@CramCycle@CramCycle

Hey All,

Wondering if anyone in the insulin dependant camp has encountered similar to an issue I'm having and has any advice.

I basal dose with Lantus and for the last few yrs I've managed to keep my basal range under 20. There was a period when I started where I went as high as 50 but managed to reset that for a while at least via Newcastle diet.

Over the last 2.5yrs insulin requirement has crept up again and I did quite well at a stable dose of 16 units.

Over the last 6 months or so, my time in range has been dire and my Hba1c estimate is creeping the wrong way too. My time in range would usually be an 80% or better average, now 35% and often worse. My current basal is now 36units and I'm likely to increase it again if the current BG trend stays the same.

Diet is still quite good and no significant change in anything. Exercise has lessened due to neuropathic issues and stress is up but manageable.

So TLDR: have any of our insulin dependant folk encountered a similar issue? Chasing rising BG levels with ever higher Bolus? Any tips on getting it back under control?

I had a similar issue over the lockdown but not as severe. Dietitian suggested to me recently that's it probably not the basal insulin but the bolus and/or the food intake and its timing.

Possibly more helpfully though have you tried Levemir? It has a (roughly) 12 hour action rather than the supposed 24 hour action of other basal insulins, so you take it in a split dose, twice a day. In reality most basal insulins don't last 24 hours so depending on the timing of your shot, you might be experiencing a drop off of the basal stuff for some period of the day. The switch definitely worked for me, sorting the inexplicable mid-day highs I was getting. May be completely irrelevant in your case but could be worth exploring with your clinic, etc?

Thanks for that, I may give the nurse a shout during the week. It might go some way to nailing down my leaky liver Dawn phenomenon.

Control is drifting more and more lately and its something that I've always managed to keep a good handle on barring injuries and such. It may well be age catching up with me and the last of my beta cells giving up the ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

@Snake Plisken

Beaumont is replacing G6 prescriptions with ones for the G7 now. I assume everywhere else is doing the same.

Thanks for the info I must drop my consultant an email see if they are doing the same. Did you get it yourself yet? If so how are you finding it compared to the G6?

I'm still using my G6. When this transmitter has done its time I'll be moving on to the G7. Because the G7 is one single piece and not a separate Transmitter and sensor you get the full thing from your pharmacy. No waiting for Dexcom to send you your quarterly transmitter.

Wonder how much this costs compared to the G6 for the HSE, can't find any pricing also looks like it's not working with any pumps the way the G6 integrated with some of the pumps.

I'm not sure what kind of price the HSE have negotiated. I don't have a pump myself, but they could well integrate it later. If I had a pump that would be another thing to consider but I still inject like those in days of old. Not actually sure why I never bothered to look into a pump. If you're pumping and have your pump talking to the G6 you might want to hold off on the switch.

• Advertisement

Tallght also now sending out prescriptions for the G 7

Advertisement