Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best D/N Tariffs

• 03-08-2022 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Is the energia EV tariff still the best d/n meter out there?

Need to change in 2 days from BG.

Bonkers doesn't even show it for some reason.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Never did show it only shows the standard plans.

As for best, what's your annual day/night kwh, my spreadsheet is still fairly up to date (not sure about EI though, could still be the old prices, the standing charge for rural is brutal too)

With 20kwh of batteries you'll not be using much day rate.

What's bonkers spitting out the best for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭fuse

Do you have a spreadsheet of tariffs available to share?

Yeah.. but it's not pretty 😂 I'll get it later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

These ones:

Not sure what my d/n is for the year since the meter only went in about 2 months ago and been going off solar fully since March.

Need the best night rate for topping up the batteries once the weather turns and I have a BEV coming soon as well.

If you can get your head around it, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ywEd_z6cSx_T3vO-7xVtwZ5Nta2kPpeQYhrVahKdUqc/

I am currently using "peak" to allow for the penalty for going over 2000kwh night in a billing cycle with energia. and its all rural standing charges, most rates are pulled from bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

This is the current Energia EV plan.

Already with Energia and have just switched over. The day rate is slightly higher that what we are currently paying but the night rate is lower. Have new batteries on the way so plan on making the most of the night rate. Night rate will be beneficial also in winter months when charging the car.

No details on the FIT from them but hoping they follow other providers and also back date it.

Ive just renewed mine too, It reads like its fixed, but cant be sure.

Last years one was fixed. my rate never changed. This one looks like it might be, we shall see.

was told it was fixed alright so we shall see indeed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm on Energia EV too, expires end of the month and likely going with it again given we have two EVs to charge over Winter (currently using PV for a lot of the charging)

Just switched to the energia EV plan there and when I asked what's the story with the fixed rates they said no such thing on this tariff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My plan is fixed, maybe they've changed it since I signed up

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yeah, changed after we signed up. I've got fixed 6.95c/kWh night rate until Dec 22. Will probably stick with the same plan on fixed discount unless any other better plans come along (unlikely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'm on that as well. Are they still doing fixed unit price ? I hope so, but probably doubtful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭fuse

Thanks, looking at your spreadsheet, and specifically at the SSE 33% tariff...

We don't seem to get same values quoted. Maybe I'm not reading it correctly

You have Day: 23.23c Peak: 12.62c Night: 12.62c (peak doesn't look right?)

I get (bonkers) Day: 23.24c Peak: 24.79c Night: 17.63c

@SD_DRACULA above has same as you but different standing charge (349 vs 286.65) then for my results I get charge of 223.11?

"I am currently using "peak" to allow for the penalty for going over 2000kwh night in a billing cycle with energia. and its all rural standing charges, most rates are pulled from bonkers."

So peak isnt peak, I was working out a worst case for energia, now that i have 20kwh of batteries, and prob will use more than 2000kwh of night in a single bill.

The spreadsheet was originally used to try and compare smart tariff.. and ive long since meddled with it, Like i said it isn't pretty lol.

It currently only has D/N tariffs in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭poker--addict

One big switch offer now seems to be the best for D/N?? Can’t see anything remotely close to 12 cent at night?

😎

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Can you post details of the tariff/discounts? Can't seem to view them without signing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭buzz11

Its 33% discount off standard rates, so currently Day 34.72 Night 18.65 standing charge €369

Standing charge closer to 480 for us “rural” folk, despite being within metres of a huge urban area, but that’s another thread

this link should work

https://digital-au.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/obs-ie/web/BordGaisEnergy/2022/OCT+2022/OBS+Campaign+Rates+Oct+2022+-+ELEC.pdf

😎

• Advertisement

Is it? Not so sure. The energia day rate at 47c (cries) and that is a big jump on the OBS BG day rate around 35cents. I am a high user. I don’t have solar long enough to know my night day ratio for power, it’s 50/50 pre solar. Assuming maybe it goes 35/65 (D/N) then they become very similar with OBS BG slightly cheaper. Plugging in more average user Kw numbers and they look basically the same.

Post edited by poker--addict on

😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Bad news.... in winter solar pv will not improve your day night ratio at all. Really only habit changes like loads shifting will improve your ratio.

If you had a battery that you charge at night... then the size of the battery you charge can directly offset that stubborn winter time day rate.... but don't expect pv to help.

Math is easy here... if i use 20 kwh per day... say its 50% load shifted by me directly changing my habits BEFORE i get solar pv.... then I have 10 kwh of day rate to worry about. If I use a 5kw battery in my system to charge at night... then it changes to 75% night rate.

The link in faq for estimating winter solar production will give you a very accurate monthly estimate of the remaining winter sun... and it won't be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

For me with Electricity and Gas one big switch is better.

6.96kwp South facing

To be fair, I was probably only considering my usage (about 85% night rate over the last year since PV + battery was installed). If you have a high base load + no battery the Energia EV tariff high usage day rate would kill any savings.

quite the jump on that rate from the movers at the beginning of August. Working through all the rates and permutations these days is like getting health insurance....

The thing with health insurance is you get different end products - maybe 100s maybe 1000s of variations.

This is far worse because at the end the product is the same. It is a service with day, day night, or day, night, high peak and low peak. So essentially 3 products for sale. At least when seeking electricity only. Yet its a mess.

😎

Just noticed this on my "fixed" rate EV plan with energia, (0.105 is the correct one)

🤬 chancers, upping the night rate on a fixed contract

Already on the phone with them.

Anyone else see this on their bills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I got it too.

However. If you take the discount and pro rate it out, you'll see that the correct rate is applied. Or it was in my case. I had the same 36/10 rates displayed as you, but when you subtract the discount, i got charged 28/7, as per contract.

• Advertisement

Not really, the CR is 30% but on the wrong price of 0.175

They re-issued the bill with the correct amounts now so I suggest everyone who got this chancer of a bill get onto them.

Post edited by SD_DRACULA on

one big switch deal ends today.

😎

Dare we imagine with EU announcement on gas cap today, and the wholesale price decreasing that rates might actually come down?

😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭con747

I suppose it depends on which multiverse we live in.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

What ever happened with these morons in charge and that 0-5% VAT rate on renewables that the EU approved?

All seems quiet on the price changing front the past 2-3 weeks? Did I miss anything? Have we peaked? 🙂

😎

• Advertisement

Went with energia EV rate, obviously not what it was months ago, but appears to be the cheapest night rate, and I should not hit the monthly caps. On the off chances prices fall back I suppose we can always pay the 50 quid to buy out, but I suppose for heavy night users competition for this plan might not change much.

😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

What is the monthly cap again, its pretty high isn't it?

I've started using a lot of electric heaters to reduce oil consumption so I'm hitting 30-40kWh per day purchased, all on night rate.

If you keep up this usage you might go over it, it's quite low actually, 1000 per month N and 1500 D

You want to be under 33.33kwh per day (2000/61)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bugger, thanks for that.

That said even if I did venture into the excess rate it would still be better than using an extra 5l of oil per day at €1.30 a litre.

I'll keep a close eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes I'm for sure going to be paying for some units at the excess rate. However, it's only like 15c and that only applies to units in excess of 2000.

• Advertisement

I am hoping with a bit of solar feeding a battery that I shouldn’t enter the night time excess too often even with heat pump. As above, so be it if exceeded, it’s still cheaper than many company night rate

😎

Time to renew this thread, coming out of the energia Ev tariff and it is the wild west out there.

Energia quoted me new d/n rates of 45c/22c and ofc F those rates but it seems to be the new normal 😰

What's the best d/n tariff at the moment (if they even exist anymore)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

Flogas BWG 'exclusive' offer but they aren't taking on any more on the phone apparently, but online sign-up is still there

Rural rates..

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

Certainly better, not sure you can change in advance of contract end date can you? 8/08 is when the energia ones expires.

But probably best to just take the early exit fee and get it asap.

Is it fixed for the year?

What's their FIT per unit?

Fixed for 1yr, CEG is 24c afaik.. been with them 3yrs and found them very stable and efficient so not happy to leave but not leaving this offer on the table esp. if they're pulling it. if prices drop in a few months I'll reassess again

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

Hardly worth paying a breaking fee so close to the end when on balance prices should come down or remain the same.

😎

who knows when Flogas will drop this offer and that nice CEG rate, who knows what'll happen to prices.. but one thing is certain, this offer exists 🤔

Fair point. The day rate on the day/night is very favourable compared to what most of us are stuck in at. A cold month would see the 50e break fee back a few times!

😎

Hope FG don't have the stupidest FIT payment in history, once a year like BG, chancers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement