Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of the Dragon vs The Rings of Power

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I watch both... but House of the Dragon is by far the superior series. It isn't epic scale (either in spectacle or array of stories) in the way Game of Thrones was, but the acting and craft that goes into it puts anything from Rings of Power to shame.

It really shouldn't ... Rings of Power had the budget and material to be both a quality series and an epic extravaganza. It is a major disappointment.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Troyaferd

I agree with what you wrote odyssey06, even though House of the Dragon has a lot of problems as well, it's still a lot better than The Rings of Power.

What are your favorite and least favorite characters and Episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,597 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hard to compare, really. One is for adults and one is PG.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Honestly I dont think Rings of Power is PG at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,597 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I haven’t watched a lot of it but I thought that’s why they had the silly hobbits in it and one of the parts I did see was someone getting their throat slit with only a line of blood.

I assumed that was to do with the age rating, like the ‘Mortal Combat’ computer game when it came out on the Super Nintendo.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

I can't think of a single metric in which Rings of Power is better. House of the Dragon is genuinely great. The last episode (ep 8) is a triumph.

Favourite characters in RoP:

There was a captured elf in Rings of Power, I thought he was shaping up to be an important character when they were in the trenches... don't even know if he had a name... but nope, he was dead by the end of it. He had 'presence' on screen far over most of the regulars!

So, I would pick Elrond, as his scenes are the most interesting in RoP. Although, being superficial here, he looks weird as an elf.

The Harfoots in Rings of Power... I expect the general consensus will be that they are the least favourite characters.

Favourite episode... Ada.

In House of the Dragon, it is hard to pick anyone out the standard is so high, especially from Matt Smith as Daemon and Paddy Considine as Viserys. But I'll pick out Rhys Ifans as Ser Otto Hightower as someone who I never really noticed as an actor before, but he has that 'presence'. The younger actresses playing Alicent and Rhaenyra were excellent.

And it's a pity we didn't get to see more of Daemon's estranged wife (Rachel Redford as Lady Rhea Royce) before she met her fate...

Favourite episode... Driftmark.

Sorry for over use of the word presence, but you know what I mean :)

My favorite is no one, if I have to choose maybe Viserys or Young Rhaenyra, least favorites are Larys or Criston.

Favorite Episode yet is also Driftmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm a big GOT fan and I went into HOD with high expectations but it's just a bit dull and boring. Wishing end of series now to see what happens and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

'Dull and boring' would be going a bit far for me, but it is pretty dour and monochrome, 50 shades of brown. Missing the colour and wit and variety that merited repeated rewatching of GoT.

I liked the Episode 7 Driftmark better honestly, now the Dance of the Dragons is about to start.

I should have mentioned that in Rings of Power Adar is a compelling character... ironically the actor is an ex-Game of Thrones alum. Joseph Mawle played Benjen Stark. He was also very good as Odysseus in BBC series Troy: Fall of a City, which punched above its budget in terms of storytelling.

* Trivia point... in GoT he played the brother of Ned Stark (Sean Bean). Sean Bean played Odysseus in the movie Troy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

They're both disappointing but HOD has disappointed me more so far

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

House of the Dragon is moving too quickly would be my only complaint with it. The issues don't really get a chance to gestate until they completely different characters 5 years later. We don't see the development, just the result. This makes it jarring but it's so brilliantly acted that it's believable. I would have taken 3 seasons just to get to where they are now and really enjoyed it I'd say but it it gets through a few to do the big events up to ASOIAF I can dig it, with maybe another show to do the smallfolk the nitty gritty elements.

Least favorite episode would be The Princess and the Queen, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

HOD is just so dull. Honestly I tried to get into it and like but with so many other good shows out now it just had to go

ROP for me is far superior to HOD.

Then there is Star Wars Andor, Quantum Leap, Star Trek Lower Decks,

DAHMER, and She-Hulk to name just a few great shows I am currently watching. Just no time for something as boring and dull as HOD.

In my opinion House of the Dragon is better than any of those shows, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well different strokes for different folks.

I like a bit of humour myself and a World or Universe I can understand and HOD does not do it for me.

Why that, I mean how has it disappointed you more than The Rings of Power?

• Advertisement

What was it, that you liked so much about the recent Episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

ROP have been a dissappointment for me, i parked HOD until ROP was done but caved, and was glad I did. Really enjoying Paddy Considine's character, or should i say enjoyed! Decent show, a little longwinded at times but a better show for me

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

Well the whole throne room scene from Visery's slow walk and his gold mask to 'say it' and 'he can keep his tongue' - is the highlight of the season so far.

The dinner scene was also excellent. Heartfelt followed by confrontational.

Paddy Constantine's performance has been great all season, but this was another level.

Also I love how eyepatch is a total bad-ass now.

I agree with what you wrote, Viserys would be the best character in the show for me as well.

Any chance spoilers can be used I am behind on both shows and just had a major character spoiled now.

Or if you @Troyaferd are back making more of these threads like you did a few years ago can you at least put spoilers in the title.

Post edited by Troyaferd on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He meant you could put (**Spoilers**) in the thread title to let people know there'll likely be spoilers in the thread itself.

Why didn't you use a Boards poll for the thread instead of linking people to an external poll like you always used to?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say the poster is collecting data from users on here when they click on the link.

• Advertisement

I like Galadriel's rolling Rs.

Tolkien would have approved.

Nothing else mind. But that.

Advertisement