Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭bamayang

working on adding MFT system to work table. Got a track saw recently and hopefully this will make it really useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Nice, that Parf guide system looks like good quality kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭bamayang

Ya I actually borrowed it off a friend. It’s incredibly easy to use. But €260 for something that you’ll use once is hard justify. Ordered a couple of sets of bench dogs, looking forward to using it as a cutting station.

might put a router table at the other end of the table.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just some woodturning (as usual!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

nice piece of laburnum what finish have you on it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just BLO; i never have much luck trying to get a shiny finish on a natural edge bowl, i don't have a decent way of polishing it. but i like the matte look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭webpal

Did some outdoor furniture over the past few weeks for the grandparents. Just 2x4s and 1x4 pickets. Made the lantern and tray with some leftovers

my daughters camogie team won the minor championship at the weekend so i took all the hurls that they had broken over the year and made a box for their fitness coach, the rest of the woods spell her name

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

Finally finished this project, took 6 months. Farmhouse style table with proper breadboard ends. Its only pine with some Rustins light oak dye and Osmo oil.

I used mainly hand tools and really enjoyed this project. (Already posted on r/woodworking if you browse that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

Not exactly fine woodworking, but I'm making some built-in bookshelves for my classroom.

Carcasses are done, shelves and backs to go on in the next few days, then skin it with pine lamboard, edge strips on the exposed ply, and paint

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lanajakob

I am making hand-carved wooden masks that are used for interior decoration. These masks are painted in Japanese traditional kabuki style. This is a popular way of decoration in many regions of Japan.

Post edited by lanajakob on

any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

To save my feet and sanity I made these for the little one.

Almost ready to fill and paint

And done (well, almost. A few spots to touch up)

looking good what shade is the blue

It's Jamie Blue, from the Dulux Easy Care range

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If anyone’s near Dublin and interested in a quick project, I want to turn an old pine bed plus offcuts into a 1 metre cube with a hinged door. I supply all the materials and can deliver and collect.

PM me with a quote please. 😋

pre glue-up. was given a load of 'old' - i.e. 10-15 year old - oak floorboards by a neighbour a few years ago, they sat in the woodshed and a few months ago i took the notion that they'd make a decent workbench top. so while i had covid, just after easter, i ripped them all on my cheapo aldi bandsaw and dimensioned them with the bargain planer thicknesser i got off someone i know, and hopefully tomorrow will start the lamination. so i'll end up with a two inch thick oak workbench top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,271 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Good to see you back at work!

What width is the blade on the b/saw?

C52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ZenNature

Shelving unit, due to the cost of timber went with regular deal/pine.

Spent twice as long on finishing as I did on making , going for a old rustic farmhouse feel. Used Liberon medium oak stain 2 coats and Liberon clear wax with caranuaba 2 coats.

i buy whatever is available! i got through two or three blades on that job, i think mainly 6mm and 8mm blades. i did all the ripping when i had covid (my parents in law gave it to me).

started the glue-up - which is something i've not done before, and as expected, it was harder work than expected. if that makes sense.

the glue started to bind faster than i'd hoped (might be because it's oak?) but even with that the pieces shifted more than i'd hoped. i'd hoped to get 8 full lengths out of the i think 33 glued, but decided caution was the better part of valour and clamped up with only 3 done.

i'd originally had a notion to fully glue up four sections of about 15cm x 170cm, and then finally glue those four together, but i may just progressively glue onto an ever increasing slab, might make it easier to keep the work surface registered against the bars of the clamps.

i foresee a lot of planing in my future.

well, the planing started this evening, and it's a bleedin' sweltery day for it. this thing weighs 198KG (very rough guess)

i had an idea for stacking eggcups recently, managed to finish the first go at the idea last night. i had been hoping to make a little 'cap' for the stack but the piece of stock i was using was just long enough for the eggcups themselves.

So this sort've belongs here, because there's some wood in it.

It's a side table, type thing, using scrap I had laying around. The frame is angle iron, welded and painted. The timber is plywood to allow for the dimensions needed without having to glue up solid timber.

It's not finished yet

Coat of varnish or polyurethane or similar, and I'll call that done

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I just finished a recent project sculpture for my sons wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That is just amazing, not a dry eye in the house! Size?

Advertisement